00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica

19,530 Views | 54 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is the unofficial FAQ and unofficial Rules guide to making electronica on the audio portal of newgrounds, it consists with links to other threads that contain vital information along with frequently answered questions in a detailed manner. Please read below to get a general start on your road to electronica.

0.00 Welcome to the Audio Forums!
This is the place to be for audio advertisements, questions, discussion, and technical talk.
But, you must understand the Rules of the BBS.

The audio forums is a safe haven for you to advertise and discuss your works and the abilities of others, in order toearn respect you must give respect, we won't give you fives if you come at us like maniacs.

>>> 1.00 I want to start making Audio, what do I do?
To make music, you need Software, music software comes in all shapes, sizes and the quality depends on cost and computer efficiency, each software varies and depends on personal preference.

Visit the official Audio Software thread to view costs and info on all kinds of kits, including FREE kits.

From the looks of it, "Fruity Loops" is the most common choice and is deemed a very capable software, it is VERY user friendly and can help you in your travel to learning the path of... Fruity-ness. The Fruity Loops Help Topic comes in handy.

>>>1.01 What kind of software is there?
Again, software varies, but they are broken into several types, but the two biggest designs has open arrangements, known as Sampling Software (Which allows the user to use and shape loops, samples, and wavs of all kinds).

And then there's fruity/reason software that's scrunched up and allows maximum power to play with your sound bytes.

>>> 2.00 What kind of music should I make?
Pick your favorite genre of music (Or your best expertise) and make it your primary or goal Genre, because depending on what it is, you will be matching your current capabilities with what you have to actually make that kind of music.

>>>2.01 Popular mainstream genres on the portal (and maybe the world) are

Trance and Dance, clubs and DJs are renowned in this genre, and earn lots and lots of money. The only problem is that it's repetitive, simplistic, and sometimes mindless if non-lyrical. The good thing is that it's a good choice for you to start with.

Drum and Bass, which consists of, you guessed it, drums over bass, with multiple uppers, downers, and screamers of effects and whatever the hell else you can imagine, DnB is what you'll want to aim for impartially because it hones your skills as a slower artist.

Techno, defined Electronica in it's earlier ages, but do not mistake techno for everything, techno is a sub genre, it doesn't define electronica like stereotypes and misconceptions have led you to believe. Techno is the squeaky clean and rarely dark fun-ride that's been used in commonly in the likes of FL.

Industrial, it isn't too popular, but it's the darker, grittier, and clanky side of Techno.

>>> 3.00 Production
There are many ups and downs in music making, what makes people so renowned these days are their ability to be ORIGINAL. This doesn't mean you can't ever be a chemical brother, it just means do what you want to do, and do it to the best of your ability.

>>> 3.01 What's this? Uploading only takes Wavs and MP3s?
Most software you will get will come with a limited supply of mp3 encoders, but if it runs out, then you can always refer to our favorite thread; File and Song Converters

PS
The Fruity Loops Help Topic

>>> 3.02 What can I do with samples? What are they? What's legal?
The NG Portal is renowned for having authentic music, and it distinctly resents ANY use of outside samples, THE MUSIC MUST BE YOUR'S; MADE BY YOU.

Let's run over the Rules In The Upload Section , WHICH JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE IN PLACE AFTER YOU'VE MADE YOUR FIRST SONG.

A sample/loop is usually made by another artist, it's a piece that's been pulled together by another music loving person like yourself, and sometimes, those loops, if taken unnoticed, can be a big no-no. The rules state that it ALL, 100 Percent, of your work, must be your OWN WORK.

>>> 4.00 DONE! First song, now what?
Audio Portal
And then discuss it in
Audio Advertisements
BEAR IN MIND THAT IF PEOPLE REVIEW YOUR WORK, YOU MUST RESPECT THEM (TO RESPECT YOU) TO GIVE THEM WHAT THEY DESERVE. NOT WHAT YOU THINK THEY DESERVE. That's the prospect of sharing.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here or in the forum itself, we're here for you. Good luck, and thank you for trying. :D.

Mike.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 02:40:18

A few more pointers

A. Your music is considered royalty free, but you're protected against stealing. This ups your chance to have your work put in Flash submissions that are in the hundreds every day.
B. Expirement Expirement Expirement. You'll never nail it the first time, or second, it has to do with your brain activity, what you consider to be good and right. The only way to learn is to have a role model, a goal, and the ability to accept failure.
C. In the case of abusive actions against you (Reviews, Voting, Trolling), the best and first thing you can do is not panic or make a big deal out of it, you have friends here in the forum who can give you what you truly deserve.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 06:47:56

god dang nice tutorial, however there are many programs that are as good as fruityloops.

ALOT of people use reason (by propellerhead)
and that IS a good program, but its a little harder to learn, and its not as easy to maneuver around (with fruity its mainly taking stuff out of folders, and just inserting channels)

fruityloops doesnt have too many good synthesizers, that is one thing reason has more of.

since I myself use fruityloops i think it is awesome, once you learn where everything is you can make some really good stuff (with practice)

i started off using things in the cool stuff folder and stripped them down so it was just the synths and i made a new song from it, thats a GREAT way to learn how to use everything.

and after u master that you can start making your own synths, its quite easy once you get going. but dont expect a masterpiece for ur first second or even third song.
but you never know.....

rawr.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 13:27:01

I think as long as you have a synthizer/emulator you can do just about anything, but looking at Reason blew me off my high horse.

But yeah, awesome point.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 20:47:08

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to create it, it's appreciated.
I noticed that you mentioned synths along the way, so here's a list of some of the most popular:
Audio Software: Software Synthesizers

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 20:59:32

Do any of you guys use the program "Reason"???

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 21:02:56

A few people, check the audio software thread, they talk about it on the first page.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 21:03:54

uh, I'm not sure why you said that just now...

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 21:07:37

Well, did you want to seek out those who used the program?

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-19 21:11:38

Point well taken.
*heads off*

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-20 02:11:54

That depends on the program, you'd have to make specifics for every program if you wanted it to be helpful, otherwise, there are specified things to make in the fruity loops topic.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-20 10:00:30

At 4/19/05 09:36 PM, Chronamut wrote: I think the main difference with reason compared to fl studio is that you have to PLUG EVERYTHING IN -

I think it'd be good for learning how to chain things together in a real studio though. I've only seen it a couple of times though, once at a mates (who's at uni) and on the website

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-20 15:29:02

That'd be pretty neat.

Maybe if you ever see your friend's studio you should hook us up with pictures 'n stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-20 16:24:24

At 4/20/05 03:29 PM, Erkie wrote: That'd be pretty neat.

Maybe if you ever see your friend's studio you should hook us up with pictures 'n stuff.

Heh you misunderstood. I've seen a studio before, but i meant that i've seen my mates copy of reason. My bad.

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-21 12:21:55

Damn.

So close.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-04-21 12:36:10

At 4/21/05 12:21 PM, Erkie wrote: Damn.

So close.

If you can wait til the end of the year i'll get some photo's of the studio from the uni i want to go to. :) Well more to the point which studio. Theres so much to learn, and i'm gonna have a ball :)

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-05-11 20:04:05

Resurrection due to newbie threads.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-05-12 12:43:15

Yes sir, I've been making music for around five years, expirementing the most really, I find I'm slowly perfecting my form, you must be persistent is all.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-05-14 00:02:49

And short ones, too, you can't forget those short posts to bump the threads. Especially the ones that reduce unnecessary threads.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-05-15 15:53:53

OOHH CHRONOMAUT.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-05-24 04:33:27

The most powerful program I believe to be on the market right now is Apple's Logic Pro 7. It's way up there.

For everyone that is just learning to make music on the computer I would suggest getting familiar with Fruity Loops first. Then onto Reason. And maybe, in 20 or so years, get into the real ass deal with Logic Pro 7.

Reason is a pretty nice program. It's true, it does have a slight learning curve. But there are plenty of places to go for help. You aren't left in the dust. I have a long way to go before I master that program.

To give you an idea of the whole "plug everything in"...I took a little screenshot of the back of a combination I made. This is where alot of your time goes. ;)

Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-05-24 18:11:15

At 5/24/05 05:37 PM, Chronamut wrote: thats IT?! LOL

That is only one instrument. Usualy I wind up with a few mixers as well. Mixers have 14 audio inputs.... So, think of multiplying that pictures set up by 28...That's a ton of routing. Although some is done for you. And it is set up vertically like actual hardware which is why it's nice to have a huge moniter display. A 1024 x 10,000 would work great. You would be able to see everything at once. ;) I'm joking, scrolling never hurt anybody.

In fruity Loops, you don't really have to do any of this type of stuff. Just about all which is similar to routing (what I've done at least) is Channeling the sounds to the FX.

Logic Pro 7 is a full fledged studio type mah-bobber. Don't know too much about that program. All I know is it's more advanced than anything I've used. I would love to hear someones input from anyone who uses that.

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-05-29 16:36:51

EFFIN' BUMP. Lots and lots of incoming synth and software requests.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-11-23 07:31:38

Hello and greetings to you all. I come before you today not with a question on electronica, but rather on the portal guidlines. I have made a remix of the song "Resurrection" by PPK. I did not make any loops from the original song- instead I recreated parts of the song on my own with surprising accuracy. Would this be something that the portal would consider to be my own work? If not I completely understand- I just want to know before I post and get banned.

And if this is not the right section, I apologize.

--AlchemicSoul

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-11-24 07:04:11

At 5/24/05 06:11 PM, JonH2O wrote:
At 5/24/05 05:37 PM, Chronamut wrote: thats IT?! LOL
That is only one instrument. Usualy I wind up with a few mixers as well. Mixers have 14 audio inputs.... So, think of multiplying that pictures set up by 28...That's a ton of routing.

Which is why I put everything in combinators. Once everything is inside a combinator, you can make it behave like a soundfonted sampler, meaning the whole lot is controled by one line in the sequencer, and all goes back via two channels to the mixing desk. Neatens everything up too, as well as releiving the CPU of the extra strain those processor intensive physics-abiding cables consume.

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2005-11-24 13:09:47

At 11/23/05 07:31 AM, AlchemicSoul wrote: Hello and greetings to you all. I come before you today not with a question on electronica, but rather on the portal guidlines. I have made a remix of the song "Resurrection" by PPK. I did not make any loops from the original song- instead I recreated parts of the song on my own with surprising accuracy. Would this be something that the portal would consider to be my own work? If not I completely understand- I just want to know before I post and get banned.

And if this is not the right section, I apologize.

--AlchemicSoul

It's fine, they had a NIN contest and plenty of artists did the same thing with their structure.

The main thing we worry about is; Don't put it in commercialization if you don't have the authors permission.

Otherwise, load away.

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2006-03-03 09:57:53

Great Guide thanks for the tips.
BTW,
All your bases are belong to Fruity Loops and Acid Pro!

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2006-04-01 17:38:11

hey i need some help making 'French house' anyone know any tips???

BBS Signature

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2007-06-27 01:33:02

Hi, I found this site a while ago... I think it's a good reference to electronic music throughout the ages. [although a bit bias and short music examples] http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html
It might be useful for newbies... dunno.

Response to Newbies Audio Guide to Electronica 2007-06-27 07:05:00

Crikey that was an almighty bump!

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature