Respond to this Topic
Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 12:04:10 Reply

Buy a derelict and convert it into office.

DanPaladin
DanPaladin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 12:23:35 Reply

you are being impulsive. therefore, do not get the building. that is dr. phil's answer.

BloodIssyl
BloodIssyl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 12:23:52 Reply

Hey man, like others have said, if you're into the building, and you don't think you are paying too much, you should go for it. Of couse, we here at NG don't know the specifics, so you shouldn't listen to us too much. Of course, if you decide to not take the building, i'm sure that there will be plenty of other opportunities.
One thing you might want to take into account is how close it is from your house. I mean, is there other property nearby that is close too, or is this a one-time pick? Do what you think will be best for you, or best for NG. In the end, it's all riding on your decision( not trying to stress you out or anything ).

sickmangrell
sickmangrell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 12:50:08 Reply

it would be awesome, maybe hthe users can pitch in?
put a banner on the front page, sathat ppl can donate, where is it anyway?(the building)

H3110M0T0
H3110M0T0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 13:20:30 Reply

Find a new Newgrounds Building. . . /office. Unless you have the cash. . . to raise the offer and do the renovations. . . seems pricey.

SkaterkidYeah
SkaterkidYeah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 13:31:09 Reply

I say get that building, what can that company do. They could give you mean glances I suppose. If your feeling uneasy about the money try to raise some from the site and ask for contributions from other people. You did say in one of your posts that you are getting a wider variety of demogrpahics. So ask nicely for some financial backing and you just might have that office space.
Joe

n0ir
n0ir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 13:38:34 Reply

Its actually nice that you can work out of home.
Although, having an office could help expand the staff.

How many given people actually work on NG?
you wade jim tim and stamper are the only admins I know of.

BBS Signature
JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 13:43:07 Reply

It copuld be like in the Simpsons, where Bart goes to the Mad Mag Office. It would be cool, but only for people in Philly. You could charge a dolalr for a tour or something. Put a big sign on the front lawn saying NewGrounds Inc. And maybe some NG Character lawn gnomes, like AH, Pico, Bedn, a seal, the tank etc.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
Xeniar
Xeniar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 14:06:01 Reply

You can't just give up like that, Tom. If you really want this building, then you'll do whatever it takes to get it, even if you have to compete with another company. After all, if you end up buying it and not liking it (which I doubt), you could always sell it to that company. Oppurtunities don't always come like this and this is YOUR chance.

( 5

Running up that hill....
": ( number goes here"

BBS Signature
championchap
championchap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 14:16:50 Reply

tom my man...its really up to you
but i have to say i agree with Dan...

seems you are just getting a bit excited about something you may find you have no real use for

what exactly could you do in a big building like that, that you cant do in your basement?

sure it seems more professional, but are you really into the whole payroll big bussiness aspect of newgrounds???

The-Wrathchild
The-Wrathchild
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 14:17:30 Reply

Does NG need an office? How much room does it take up in your house to run the site.

Umsutfeersme
Umsutfeersme
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 14:17:53 Reply

At 4/16/05 11:29 AM, AnzRage wrote: If you get an office. Newgrounds will be too much like giant company. Well I don't care it's starting to become one anyways.

That's not true. As long as Tom's running it, it'll never be a "company."

While it is a business, and I have always seen it that way, it won't become a souless, "coporation" style thing, ever.

Though I do find it a little odd and disturbing for NG to be moving to a building when it's been operated in the home for so long, it's not like a move to a building would be so drastic. And it's not like Tom and Wade would have to start working in cubicles, it's simply a place for NG to exist, and for the staff to work in a comfortable environment.

So I say, More power to ya' Tom. I'm behind you 100%. :)

shak3s
shak3s
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 14:46:37 Reply

Strike a deal with that neighboring company and get some premium office space from them and they get the parking they desperatly want and need.

Eric-Hellsing
Eric-Hellsing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 15:12:00 Reply

wow, the BIG break... don't let it go!

Sinterkaas
Sinterkaas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 15:13:54 Reply

Just buy the building, let Newgrounds get even bigger, than buy that company :O

johnkilo
johnkilo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 15:39:34 Reply

I say you only live once, so why not go for it?

gamer-phfreak
gamer-phfreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 15:57:47 Reply

You always have the option of prolonging the renovation. I mean you can move into it slowly while renovating it piece by piece.

DukeLexon
DukeLexon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 15:59:01 Reply

My advice wasn't exactly solicitted, but I give it anyway. O_o

I suspect that you may have sub-consciously posted this because you almost wanted your enthusiastic user base to "talk you into" laying the extra dosh down on the table, but only because you knew which way you were leaning, and you were feeling a bit of a crush on your dreams. Your logical, thinking mind knew what would be the wisest course of action, and yet your creative passion wouldn't settle for it. It's understandable. : /

Most people have jumped to the task admirably, and as I'm sure you knew, at least in the back of your head, they're gungh-ho about the whole thing, and are all for plowing ahead. I think you wanted them to energize your impulsive passionate side enough to overpower your logical, cautious side. Of course, if you were to look at my wall, you'd notice a patch of blank space where a degree in psychiatry should be, so I'll stop practicing without a license (or even, really, the slightest bit of education) for now. ;)

I'll tell you what I think you already feel for yourself. I'm probably wrong about that, but the advice itself still stands:

If you're still functioning fairly well as you are, working from your collective homes, or your basement, then I'd say it'd probably be an unwise move to invest such a considerable amount of money in an upgrade that may be largely unnecessary, at least as of YET. There's no point in maintaining a mega-stadium that can seat 100,000 when the home games usually only yield 10,000 fans, right? In a situation like you had originally, where you could have gotten lucky and had the building for a reasonably low price, it may have been worth it...sometimes an upgrade, or a move up, can actually PROMPT growth, which is what you said you were after. You're feeling frustrated because the sort of energized, productive environment you want to create is difficult to maintain in something as modest as your basement. The situation is understandable.

A premature upgrade, however, could also inhibit growth...biting off more than you can chew is something to be avoided. I'd say that in most cases, it's better to wait for the growth before climbing a costly rung of the ladder, rather than taking a risk and climbing that rung first, merely hoping that the growth will inevitably follow, and thus make the step up worth the cost. The growth is happening, and that point will come; Newgrounds is getting bigger and bigger, every year. Rushing to that point, however, when you don't exactly need it quite yet, could mean a fatal stumble.

Then again, what do I know? Do what you feel is best, and I'm sure whatever the eventual outcome of your decision, everything will be okay.

SHIT-TANK
SHIT-TANK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 16:08:10 Reply

GO FOR IT TOM

rawr

BBS Signature
WhiteMagic
WhiteMagic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 16:23:00 Reply

well do whatever you gotta do, as long as NG dont become a paysite or a home for billions of pup-ups. that would truly suck. i dont think you would do that anyway.

Uriko-THB
Uriko-THB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 16:58:38 Reply

At 4/16/05 04:23 PM, ItsMeMike wrote: well do whatever you gotta do, as long as NG dont become a paysite or a home for billions of pup-ups. that would truly suck. i dont think you would do that anyway.

Oh god not the pop-ups... i still have nightmares about the last time..

I say you buy the space, you could really do with it and godknows a corperation can go fuck themselves. Greedy cunts...

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 17:23:06 Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: Honestly, I don't know what to do. I don't like the idea of being forever disliked by the neighboring company, who really could use the parking space.

I don't think they'd hold it against you if you kept a building from destruction....

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 17:47:43 Reply

Well honestly, you should go for another building. The company probably has a lot of money to tear down a building and possibly (if they do this) build a huge parking garage.

Try for another building. You'll never get the money for this one.

How much are you bidding by the way?

cheeziepoofman1
cheeziepoofman1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 17:51:21 Reply

Who cares about them. They can ride the bus. This'll just force them to save some gas. Anything that saves gas is good.

weirdoo
weirdoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 18:04:42 Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: Honestly, I don't know what to do.

you can start by ading a paypal donation or something, someone might wanna cash into your bank account to help, remember, we all NG members want that office.

http://www.interstellarmarines.com/
the best AAA Indie game in the making, help the game by spreading the word! ;D

I did not draw the signature picture

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 18:07:57 Reply

You so should have bought it.

The idea of a Newgrounds Office awesome.

Minecraft server: proxa.co
PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download
Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
Johaaaaaaa
Johaaaaaaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 18:13:14 Reply

"For my dreams I hold my life
For wishes I behold my night
The truth at the end of time
Losing faith makes a crime. "

Tom, if you believe, buy it!

RussianDumbass
RussianDumbass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 18:17:08 Reply

Just say the word Tom... and the other company will be laid to waste by Vikings.

I'll smash them with my mighty hammer!

But seriously, I live within an hour from Philly. I can make 'accidents' happen.

Viking power! \m/

rako3
rako3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update 2005-04-16 18:24:59 Reply

i argee tom get the company popular and maybe we can have a new future

Andrew33
Andrew33
  • Offline.