Amestopleeze
Amestopleeze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 10:07 PM Reply

Hey Tom,

I am currently visiting Philly from Cali and I must say you guys have some pretty incredible buildings here. I don't know where this building you are bidding on is, but I'm downtown in Center City and I can say that any building you can save in this city is worth it. So much history. Ofcourse, I don't know how this will effect your bills, and I hate to see the site become a paysite just to pay for an office.

Anyways, good luck to you in your endevors, taking Newgrounds to the next plateau is really awesome and I wish you luck all the way. If I could help you in anyway I would, but for now I can hope and pray things go your way for the better!

Keep up the good work!

-ev!

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you read below, you will see that I put in a bid for a building this week. If accepted, this building would undergo some rennovation and become the first ever Newgrounds office. After ten years of basements and spare rooms, NG would finally have a place to call home.

I was waiting for a response because the owners were waiting on a second offer that was to be submitted this week. In a plot straight out of a movie, the second offer is by a neighboring company that wants to tear down the building and turn it into an expanded parking lot for their growing business - I can't make this stuff up!

Their offer turned out to be the same as mine. The owners have decided to reject our offers, both well under asking price, and have requested higher offers.

So just like in the movies, the fate of this building is in my hands. I can raise my offer and save it from demolition, or sit idly by and spend the rest of my days driving past a parking lot, asking "what if".

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I don't like the idea of being forever disliked by the neighboring company, who really could use the parking space. But it seems a shame to tear down a perfectly fine building. Tacking the cost of rennovation on to the asking price of the building leaves me a bit uneasy, so I'll just have to sleep on it. The NG office might just have to wait.
Miikro
Miikro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 10:09 PM Reply

Screw them Tom, if you want the building it's best you go for it.

Besides, Bend can't find a good hiding place to stalk you in a parking lot..

Fuck it.

BBS Signature
WondaBread
WondaBread
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 10:12 PM Reply

You know what you and one other person bidded on it right? and the other person just wants to make a parking lot. What's wrong with the building that no one else wants it? I'm really starting to think this is a bad idea.

Murasameblade
Murasameblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 10:16 PM Reply

My advice would be to go over to the other company and Talk it over with them, see if you can take the place and not become enemies. Work out a deal or something. Its gotta be worth a try.

joemofo619
joemofo619
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 10:20 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 08:09 PM, Denvish wrote: FUCK THE NEIGHBOURS

right on, in my neighbourhood, we dont give a flying f*@k about each other
the other day, the same bitch that told my mom that i was on pills asked me if i can help her retarded kid off from the bus while she goes and mail something, i just said " im to tried from popping pills, maybe next time" and slammed the door in her face.

i love me, cause no else does

MaxR
MaxR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 10:40 PM Reply

I know what you mean Tom, decisions, decisions. It is quite hard when you are about to make a decision that would impact the future and like you said, the what ifs.

promontorium
promontorium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: Honestly, I don't know what to do.

There have been a lot of good points so far so I'll try another angle. You shouldn't focus on the building, it's just a bunch of metal and cement. If you were buying it because you liked the architecture, or the location, I would suggest you go for it. In this case I don't think either is your priority, and obviously the price isn't what you want either.

What you don't want to lose is the dream for Newgrounds. The office can be any other building and it will still be the Newgrounds you desire. This needs to be taken into account. You cannot bind yourself to this property and all it's troubles for the property isn't your goal, just a means to an end.

Go ahead and low ball, and keep looking at other buildings, you have the upper hand, do not give it away. Remember the buiding being torn down isn't symbolic of your business being torn down. Think of it as another business doing exactly what you might have to do in the future just to stay afloat. They are already heavily invested in that place. Also if they don't have enough parking, and you show up, where are you going to park?

I suggest that since you don't need this place, and it's already a money pit, you should move on and not let any one place grab you, Newgrounds will go on. You can find another place, for the right price, that will be worth fighting for.

foamyisurlrdndmaster
foamyisurlrdndmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 11:04 PM Reply

ive read all teh post and i agree with this point.

If only two people have bid high enough and one wants to bulldoze it..maybe its not worth it..unless you REALY liek the architecture...

i still say the best money deterent would be NG Member slave labor

heres how you coudl pick...every month randomly choose 100 acitve memebrs and have them shipped UPS to teh worksite to work for next to nothing

nueterz
nueterz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 11:07 PM Reply

DUDE!! buy the building knock it down, build a lot and charge for parking.

Its the only way to be mature about this type of situation.

promontorium
promontorium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 11:22 PM Reply

Eureka!

I just thought of an idea for your office. Newgrounds is all about entertainment, you could make the office, part office, part museum, super tourist attraction! You could have screens showcasing the best Newgrounds animations, rooms of memorable still shots and a gift shop! A lot of Newgrounds submitters are heavily invested in your sites popularity, you could get someone like Illwillpress to invest, in turn your store could sell merchandise from the submitters. It could be a bad ass tourist attraction to people visiting Philly. It would not only further promote your site but it could make a profit on its own. Meanwhile since you'll be displaying artwork from Newgrounders, you could get money from the local government. The government pays for all kinds of stupid museums, I'm sure they could sponser your kick ass museum.

This is just a crazy idea. Please look into profit/loss cases of various similar places before even considering it, but it could end up being the coolest place in Philly.

SKS
SKS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 11:40 PM Reply

What the fuck people, you all want him to do it because you're not paying for it. None of us even know what the price is and you want him to jump at it. Tom, I'd say do the math and see how it'd affect the budget and the things like that. If it can be fit into it, I'd say be carefull what you decide to spend it on., but if it's going to greatly affect the budget, then just let it go. I don't even think an office is really needed. It might be nice to have, but to me it just seems like it's not really needed and wouldn't affect the sites performance ethier way.

Tom, what are the benefits of an office anyway? I know more space, but what do you need the space for, what else is acctually going to be a benefit of it? I don't see very many, but that's why I am asking, to find out. So just get back to me whenever you get the chance. I'd really like to know what an office will even do for you and the performance of the site.

To everyone else who is just saying it'd be cool to have an office, I'd like to hear why you think it'd be cool to have an office? What good does it do you personally, absolutely nothing. I don't care if the office is bought, more power to you, but I just think it's not worth it. I'm sure the building isn't cheap.

Well that wraps it up for me. So yeah, Tom, just respond whenever, if at all.

BBS Signature
Irish-Pimp
Irish-Pimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 11:50 PM Reply

dont take it save your money for something better.

BBS Signature
Terminator
Terminator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 12:09 AM Reply

Come on man. By the sounds of it, this office building is really what you want. You said it yourself that it would be a shame to tear it down.
Increase the offer and get the building. Newgrounds HQ will finally be yours.

If you pass this up, who knows how long it will be before you get an oppurtunity. There will be other spaces, but who knows what prices you will have to pay.
Big deal the company misses out on a few parking spaces- Do they really need more parking space that bad?

BBS Signature
JudoHobo
JudoHobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 12:11 AM Reply

Make your office...IN THE PARKING LOT.

Terminator
Terminator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 12:12 AM Reply

At 4/15/05 11:07 PM, wooter wrote: DUDE!! buy the building knock it down, build a lot and charge for parking.

Its the only way to be mature about this type of situation.

That would be stupid. Then Tom would have bought and paid for the lot, and given the other company what they wanted and Tom would still have no office building.
It would take a long time before parking fees could get him the money back.

BBS Signature
AGH
AGH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 12:19 AM Reply

Hmm... so I take it that their business is in the direct vicinity of the building they want to tear down. If I may ask, what sort of business is it?
I might have missed you post this in another thread, but generally speaking do many opportunities such as this tend to come up in your area? If they aren't that frequent, and you can afford the costs of upping the offer as well as the renovation, I think it's probably a better idea to go for it. If the other business wants the building badly enough they will probably go well over your offer anyway.
Of course, you probably know if this feels right, maybe you're uncertain because something feels a little off about it. If that's the case, do what you feel is the right thing.

At 4/15/05 10:12 PM, WondaBread wrote: You know what you and one other person bidded on it right? and the other person just wants to make a parking lot. What's wrong with the building that no one else wants it? I'm really starting to think this is a bad idea.

Who knows, it may have only just come on the market.

At 4/15/05 10:51 PM, promontorium wrote:

That's some sound advice.

warlordring6
warlordring6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 12:37 AM Reply

Well, you know what you gotta do. You gotta save da building from destruction. Or forever REGRET IT o_O!!!!1!

Office Update

Macduffman
Macduffman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 12:47 AM Reply

Well, that is quite a pickle you got Tom. I have no idea what you make money wise in a year or what it costs to keep newgrounds running but I don't know if a building is right for newgrounds yet. I mean, sure it's cool and you probably will want to kick yourself afterwards for not buying but the arguements for are just not adding up to the arguements against in my opinion. Looking though what others have wrote there are those who say buy it no matter what, which is not a good idea at all, talk with the neighbouring business and come to a deal, which is time consuming and may lead to legal issues latter on, and then there's wait for a new building. Well as stated before this is quite a choice to make but if you buy will you be able to pay tax, pay utilities, and pay for newgrounds. Really what I guess I'm trying to say is if buying a building is your dream then do it, go for it, but if it's going to put what you already have at risk then it's not worth it. Other newgrounds users will agree if this is going to cost something on the site (like canceling the monthy prizes or reducing bandwidth) then it's a crapshoot.

Junkaxel
Junkaxel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 01:00 AM Reply

Finally getting an office for Newgounds would be a landmark for the site. Just like seperating from Troma and becoming more independent.
But you need to seriously consider the situation. Just because this is an opportunity dosen't mean that its the only one you will ever have.
Just rember Tom that it's easier to live with "what if" rather than "what the hell have I done".

New Ground Atomix!

Plague-1
Plague-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 01:19 AM Reply

HELL YES PUT IN A HIGHER BID

Because then you can increase the server size to upgrade the speed. Pls come with that extra cash and dont let them tear down the building...

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 01:44 AM Reply

At 4/15/05 08:19 PM, QuarterMelonClock wrote: Give them what they want for it, then buy the neighbouring building and floor it for a parkinglot/street hocky court. ;)

Show 'em who's boss.

I like that can-do attitude. :)

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
fettsvette
fettsvette
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 01:44 AM Reply

set up a donation fund to "save the building". Id donate $10 to that.

By the way, i finally sent the movie to ya. U should have it by monday.

JackRabbitStudios
JackRabbitStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 01:52 AM Reply

This is definitly like one of those teen movies where you gotta save the little place you want to hang out in from being destroyed. Well, anyway, good luck with your next bid.

"Eggplant tastes like eggplant....but meat tastes like murder and murder tastes pretty God damn good, doesn't it?"-Dennis Leary (No Cure for Cancer)

BBS Signature
TwilightVenom
TwilightVenom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 01:58 AM Reply

you will post pictures of the new office if you get it, right tom? well, in any case, good luck. i'm rather jealous myself. :P

kairos1884
kairos1884
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 02:22 AM Reply

wow, that is a tough call tom. it is easy for everyone to say, "grow balls tom and buy it!" but it isn't that simple. some ppl say it will be easier to run newgrounds and while that may be true, this place costs money and lots of it i am sure. plus, i mean, what about family and stuff like that- you know car payments, house payments/rent?
sounds like it would be a major bidding war and those can be long and drawn out and downright nasty. i would love for there to be a newgrounds office and see what really amazing stuff could happen to do the great changes, but say you do buy the office and you have to outbid the other guy- where will the money come to pay for staff? the econamcy kinda blows right now, which i am sure everyone knows that, so money isn't exactly on trees too much nowadays.
i hope all goes for the best Tom, i know it is a tough decision, but we all know how much you love this place and would do only the best for it, but don't forget about doing what is best for yourself too.

Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 02:24 AM Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: Honestly, I don't know what to do. I don't like the idea of being forever disliked by the neighboring company, who really could use the parking space. But it seems a shame to tear down a perfectly fine building. Tacking the cost of rennovation on to the asking price of the building leaves me a bit uneasy, so I'll just have to sleep on it. The NG office might just have to wait.

I can understand that. But I'm not sure how much you are willing to pay for that building. And I also don't know how much you offered, but that is none of opur bussines too.
I do think you should consider to raise it a little bit. Because like you already said, "what if". Then a dream might never come true, since this was a fine building like you said.

I wish you good luck with it and I hope you make the desicion you will be happy with. :)

CrazyguyDS
CrazyguyDS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 02:30 AM Reply

Get teh new office.......forget about the other company

i wishi had an office...but who cares about my future lets work on that office

Slick031
Slick031
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 02:49 AM Reply

Ya know, a lot of the people here at NG are trying to support you.. supposedly, and i mean ONLY supposedly (don't flame me), you COULD start a donation drive or something..

AgainstMe
AgainstMe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 02:59 AM Reply

At 4/16/05 02:49 AM, Slick031 wrote: Ya know, a lot of the people here at NG are trying to support you.. supposedly, and i mean ONLY supposedly (don't flame me), you COULD start a donation drive or something..

click on my profile and click the paypal donate button near the bottom... if you're in a donating kinda mood :p

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 16th, 2005 @ 03:18 AM Reply

lol, for your next flash, have this plot as the storyline :)

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};