I'd move to penn so i could live in that building >:[

tekcos
tekcos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you read below, you will see that I put in a bid for a building this week. If accepted, this building would undergo some rennovation and become the first ever Newgrounds office. After ten years of basements and spare rooms, NG would finally have a place to call home.

Dude, you run a HUGE site out of a house! Don't move into a office, that's not nearly as cool.

Satoshiji
Satoshiji
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:28 PM Reply

Well, while alot of people are just telling you to go for it..

Wouldn't it just be easier to grab a smaller building?

Even so, it is a shame to let a building go to waste.. How about haggling with the sellers? Something. .. Or, show them just how large of a community Newgrounds is. :)

WondaBread
WondaBread
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:32 PM Reply

If your worried about what the company next door thinks maybe you should talk to them and negotiate with them
Come up with a list of pros and cons or something
Does the world really need another parking lot?
Does NG need an office?
Etc.

Twiminy
Twiminy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:37 PM Reply

Even though it would be pretty damned funny if you got turned down and it got demolished, I do hope you get it. THEN YOU CAN GIVE TOURS.

Corey-the-Afro-Jew
Corey-the-Afro-Jew
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:41 PM Reply

We just all have to pray that Lassie will save the day. Hey that rhymed!

Brewsky666
Brewsky666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:43 PM Reply

Well Tom, it's up to you, only you know what's best for Newgrounds, I wish you good luck in whatever you choose to do. If you get an office, way to go! If not, then it will come some day.

cantprovenothin
cantprovenothin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:47 PM Reply

Go for it Tom, this is NGs year, getting into games, one of the most successful sites on the web and its time to kick it up a level, there has to be money in future NG games (no names mentioned =O) ) NG could be very successful if some of the old plans got pulled back togeather such as the compilation DVD idea (i know licencing blah blah), the spread of flash to TV (licencing again and probably late night but it could be done, we all know how great a lot of the content of the site is and it can only get better with more visitors) step up the merchandising another level coz lets face it most of the stuff in the NG shop right now is cheaply produced and grey, ewww grey. There are loads of places NG could go as the forefront of the everyday guys expression of tallent and enableing people to get it out there for hundreds of thousands of people to see. There are many ways NG could go from here but wherever theres an elevator theres a cunt with a pair of hedgecutters, if you cant afford it and dont really have anywhere planned to take NG at the moment dont do it, but when your ready and there is suitable intrest and funding from projects such as the AH project and future possible releases there are a lot of places NG could go if the world would just achnoledge it, theyll put anything on MTV today and I know "MTV IS THE DEVIL FUCK POP BRAINWASHING BLAH BLAH BLAH" but I honestly think MTV would be the best place for NG to get into TV with selected submitted shorts of course with all credit to the creators but all tagged with the NG logo, maybe just the odd flash between late night videos even though MTV have fucked NG around before (see lit pages) but I honestly think this is where newgrounds needs to be aiming for to get into TV where I think it would do well as short animations would fit well . As I said before all credit would have to go to the creators but NG could tag it up with a nice NG presents logo etc some crafty link work you'd be raking in the new users no probs.
Lol although this would all be really cool to see happening and I'm sure NG will become very successful in the future its probably best not to take risks at this early stage as at the moment NG isnt exactly raking in the millions and fucking up on large investments such as offices and extra staff could really cripple NG, for now I think its probably best to be sticking with the stickers fellas, production cost my arse i bet your raking it in =O) lol
Anyways however it turns out will look for updates.
Good luck to all 3 of ya, VOTE SHERBERT!

x

beetlecrazy12
beetlecrazy12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:48 PM Reply

Tom,
Do it......if this plot is straight outta a movie then do what a person in a movie would do....Bid higher for it....who cares if they hate you for taking there precious parking space....screw what they think...buy that building!!!!

foamyisurlrdndmaster
foamyisurlrdndmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:49 PM Reply

well...if your that concerned about the renovating cost,just employ some willing NG members as slave labor...youl have alot of appreciative and special feeling people,and youl get the labor for cheap.Just think of teh possibilities.....having a NG office would own,and you coudl always give tours to deter the cost..im sure youd have hundreds of people come,charge over-priced 30-minute tours and throw in a free cup of coffee and bam...instant cash cow to deter purchasing and renovation cost.Hell..id be williing to come work 18 hours a day renovating....=P...but just go with your gut.....a NG office could wait,itd be realy nice and awsome.,but hey...this site has flourished for years out of basements and spare rooms..shouldnt change anytime soon.

Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:54 PM Reply

Well you are in quite the pickle there sir. I'd advise you to talk it over with the other members of the NG staff, and see what they think on the situation. Try and gather up funds, as in start a donation to help get the extra money you need to buy it.

Think, having your own office that way you can have more space to work with, and you can call your house a home. Sure, having your buisness ran in your house is great, you don't have to freeze your butt off in the morning going out to your car to drive there. If there is an emergency, you can just go to the source quickly, and try and figure out what is happening.

But the advantages of an office out wiegh[IMO] the negatives. Sure, you're depriving another buisness parking space, but you might not get another opportunity like this one again in a long while. And with the rate of development in this day and age in the USA, you might not get a building so close to your home as this one.

So I say you should go for it sir, you might have to pay a bit more, but you'll have your own office, and you'll be all offical and what not.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
frogperson
frogperson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:55 PM Reply

how much room does it really take to run a web site im just wondering... sorry if that sounded sarcastic im serious.

Krbyfan1
Krbyfan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:58 PM Reply

come on Tom. you can get your office. forget the parking lot, your site needs a new home. a basement is no place for you.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature
Denvish
Denvish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:09 PM Reply

FUCK THE NEIGHBOURS

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature
DrEggman
DrEggman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I don't like the idea of being forever disliked by the neighboring company

fight the power man

QuarterMelonClock
QuarterMelonClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:19 PM Reply

Give them what they want for it, then buy the neighbouring building and floor it for a parkinglot/street hocky court. ;)

Show 'em who's boss.

pistoldisco
pistoldisco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:28 PM Reply

How about when they're about...right when they're about to tear it down...all the Newgrounders stands in the way and sings that sing....how does it go..."Nananana....we are strong....nananna...no one can tell us we're wrong...nanananna...searching in our hearts for soo looOooOong...nananna..all of us knowing....LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD!"...and we have to clap to. They can't tear it down if we do that.

Alright! What are you waiting for?? Let's go!

nation-of-death
nation-of-death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:29 PM Reply

Well, personally since i'm only 11 and wouldn't really know much about stuff like this, i say wait, like a lot of other people said. The reason i say that is because, well, if it ain't obvious then i'll just have to say it, ( i know this may not mean anything, but i'm gifted or smarter then the average kid) if u have a job (which i hope u do) then just save up money if u can, when ever u can, and when u get enough and you find a good starting building (not too big cause you will have to start out small if u wanna succeed and have your buisness grow) that has maybe 4 or 5 floors or so, and then see if u can buy it for the lowest price they will possibly accept, unless of course you have more money then they ask for in which case u can just pay them all the money they ask for and then post see if u can get ads on t.v, on Newgrounds, and in the paper. That way you'll start out small, you know as a start for employees, maybe u could get some of ur friends that wanna work with and or for u, put them in jobs they can handle well enough, but don't just put em all in the best paying jobs, or best jobs, cause then people won't want to be hired with ur friends having all the best jobs. They will most likely think your just an asshole or a jackass (not all people, just some) so i suggest u do something like that, cause depending on it's size, if its 8, 9, 10 or more floors high, DO NOT BUY IT!!!! cause the buisness won't grow. same thing as building a city in sim city, start out small, and start to slowly grow, same thing living things do, we start out small, or babies, and grow into toddlers, then young kids, kids, pre-teens, teens, and then adults. So there's a lesson for u, just save ur money untill the time is right. *whispers softly* save your money!!!!save your money!!!! wait start out small, and start to slowly grow

Office Update

Emkaah
Emkaah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:42 PM Reply

Raise the offer, buy the house. Keep it a year. And when the neighboring company gets really desperate for parking space, sell them the building for double the price; repeat until you've become a realestate tycoon, get famous, get your own TV-show, marry a high profile photomodel, learn to fly your private plane, go for gouvenor, win, go for president, win and rule the world. Or if you lose the bid, look out for another building.

-Em

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:46 PM Reply

Submit the same offer, and cross your fingers that the other bidder is either a fake, or if they're real, that they won't raise their bid.

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
CacaGil
CacaGil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:49 PM Reply

a neighboring company that wants to tear down the building and turn it into an expanded parking lot for their growing business - I can't make this stuff up!

Their offer turned out to be the same as mine. The owners have decided to reject our offers, both well under asking price, and have requested higher offers.

so you should go talk to this neighboring company and make a deal with them. they can make their lot, but ask them to leave space for your office, and some parking spaces of your own, who knows...
but really, try to make a deal with them

social-misfit
social-misfit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 08:51 PM Reply

It's a capitalist economy out there, my friends. Supply & demand. Dog-eat-dog. If one place can't cut it, you go else where. Don't concede & let "the other business" take away your vision! Start a bidding war. It sounds like a good enough investment, right? Buying a fixer-upper that's fairly priced in relation to the work needed & then doing the renovations yourself will always be thousands cheaper than buying something that's already in tip top shape... & if it doesn't work out, you can sell the newly-remodeled building for more than you bought it. Everybody wins!

To be honest, I'm surprised that running this site brings in enough bucks to replace a full-time job because hosting/bandwidth are so expensive as it is, hmmm....

At 4/15/05 07:03 PM, B_M_W wrote: grow some balls tom, and take a risk ol buddy.

You're a stupid bastard. You don't think that the creation of this entire site was a risk that took balls? Hosting all sorts of offensive content & what not causes NG to come under fire from the media, "Mothers, Hippies, & Religious Zealots Against Stuff" groups, & big companies all the time, but they still press on. So, I'd say that the Fulps are packing some serious nuts, & you need to shut the fuck up.

Crono-Clown
Crono-Clown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 09:01 PM Reply

you should try to make a deal with the other companyto build an undergroung parking lot or something like that,there I think more I find reasons why it woudnt work but the Idea of putting an attached parking lot isnt such a bad Idea

Grecoism
Grecoism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 09:08 PM Reply

huh a delema, personaly it wont efect me based on weater newgrounds has a building or not, i'd rather see it go to talented artists. but its a comfert thing for you and if you would feel more comfertable at a oface go a head. also i know your thinking of the building and i know it would be kind of sad if they tear down your hopesfor a beter newgrounds figuretivly speaking but it would be beter for the enviorment if you just stayed at home cause you wouldnt have to use gas to drive to work and it woudl also be cheaper cause gas is expenceive. well i'm kool with what ever disision you chose and i think it was a verry good idea to sleep on it you dont want to make a rash disision. good luck

motoracer1316
motoracer1316
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 09:28 PM Reply

if they do get it start a protest and get a lot of newgrounders to stand by your side tom.

Dead-Man-Inc
Dead-Man-Inc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 09:34 PM Reply

Go for it man.. Newgrounds is the largest flash site on the web with one of the best flash artists in the world. We need an office more than a parking lot! They can go park down the street and actually walk a 100m for once. Anyway.. I think it'd be good if you bought it, imagin all the possabilities and opportunities that could arise..

InsideOutside
InsideOutside
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 09:36 PM Reply

tom...maybe you should just buy a small building to renovate into the ng office. i mean you've been operating ng out of your basement, you dont need a big place. but, if you really like this property, then maybe the chance is worth taking. but you should sleep on it, and you shouldnt worry about what the ng community thinks. this is your decision, not ours.

Shingami66
Shingami66
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 09:38 PM Reply

You might as well buy it, Newgrounds has been getting bigger every year, and this will only be the next step in making something REALLY big. buy it.

DinoRaptor
DinoRaptor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 09:44 PM Reply

Nooooo! Tom,you have a largest flash portal in the web that almost 10 years old,and you think about some stupid company?! Get this space immediatly! That is a chance for you to start making Newgrounds a real company and develop videogames by popular games in the portal like you did with AH,not just a web audio and flash portal! Hell,how do you think you are going to get more users in the portal if you working in the basement?! NewGrounds doesn't even have 1.000.000 registered users! Start thinking about advertising,maybe even commercials on radio or TV! Please do not give that space to the stupid company,this is your chance to make something from Newgrounds! Please get it!

Kajiva
Kajiva
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 09:59 PM Reply

Buy the building, NG needs a good place to call home, Parking lots are overated, let the other company park in the road!