TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 06:52 PM Reply

If you read below, you will see that I put in a bid for a building this week. If accepted, this building would undergo some rennovation and become the first ever Newgrounds office. After ten years of basements and spare rooms, NG would finally have a place to call home.

I was waiting for a response because the owners were waiting on a second offer that was to be submitted this week. In a plot straight out of a movie, the second offer is by a neighboring company that wants to tear down the building and turn it into an expanded parking lot for their growing business - I can't make this stuff up!

Their offer turned out to be the same as mine. The owners have decided to reject our offers, both well under asking price, and have requested higher offers.

So just like in the movies, the fate of this building is in my hands. I can raise my offer and save it from demolition, or sit idly by and spend the rest of my days driving past a parking lot, asking "what if".

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I don't like the idea of being forever disliked by the neighboring company, who really could use the parking space. But it seems a shame to tear down a perfectly fine building. Tacking the cost of rennovation on to the asking price of the building leaves me a bit uneasy, so I'll just have to sleep on it. The NG office might just have to wait.

DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 06:53 PM Reply

Aw :(

I'm sorry. Hey, some people need to be total asses to survive, and some need to live with the deal that they came in second.

Do what you feel will help newgrounds.

That-Is-Bull
That-Is-Bull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 06:53 PM Reply

Fuck that, you have to buy the building. Just imagine the possibilities!

my head feels like a frisbee

BBS Signature
retr0smash
retr0smash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Filmmaker
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 06:54 PM Reply

Man....That's a pretty bad dilemma, Tom. :(

OUT

BBS Signature
TheTengu
TheTengu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate

Okay, good luck Tom

Sig by: CUBrt

BBS Signature
PiePie
PiePie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate

Raise your price Tom! it will be worth it...

BazookaNinja
BazookaNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate

I like the idea of the NG office! :o

DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 06:57 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 06:53 PM, DemonHybrid wrote: Aw :(

I'm sorry. Hey, some people need to be total asses to survive, and some need to live with the deal that they came in second.

Do what you feel will help newgrounds.

Also, it's for the company of NEWGROUNDS. Think of everyone who comes here. Now think of everyone who would go to the business that wants the building. Think about it personally, but just remember: Strong companies break people's hearts sometimes. It's inevitable. If I were you, I'd raise the bitch, dude :)

Masculine
Masculine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 41
Artist
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 06:58 PM Reply

They'll throw rocks through your windows.. but you can throw them back.

I would say rely on how much it will cost you and if it is worth it, I think it is probably worth it but then again I am 15 and don't live on my own.

TvP
TvP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 06:59 PM Reply

SAVE THE BUILDING!!!

BBS Signature
Needle
Needle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:01 PM Reply

I'm not familiar with any of the actual numbers regarding the first offer and the supposed next offer, but I'd say that buying a building is a lot like buying a house - you better damned well love it to death before you make a move on it!

I say sleep on it, and see if you're as passionate as you think you are about this particular piece of estate. "What if" is an easy question to ask, but if you know for a fact that this sort of opportunity will come again - and may not carry the burden of extra baggage with it - then you probably won't feel too regretful down the line.

That said, if it's an awesome building, then throw all the money youve got at it and screw those other bastards. Make em build a parking garage. :)

fatjoe151
fatjoe151
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate

personaly i would raise ure offer, go on TAKE A CHANCE!!!!

Tremour
Tremour
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate

Forget the other company, go for it. You shouldn't worry about other people's thoughts and feeling in a matter like this, just put the bid in. Seriously, you could go places with this. Just imagine in another ten years time : Newgrounds Inc, 50 story office building, 5000+ employees, president Tom Fulp.

FUCK

BBS Signature
ChaozHenchman
ChaozHenchman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Programmer
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:02 PM Reply

Wrecking balls are going to be revving up when you go back to give those people your new bid, aren't they? then your bids will tie again and you will have to win some kind of race or tournement to get the building. Right?

CodeRedClock
CodeRedClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:03 PM Reply

grow some balls tom, and take a risk ol buddy.

DanMalo
DanMalo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: woe

...Unless they are lying, and there isn't another bidder.

Maybe they are just trying to dupe you into paying more.

I dunno...

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate

We could all be workers at Newgrounds Inc.. Well, you american people could

RiftMaster
RiftMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate

I'd go for it Tom. Within reason, dont give them too much but yeah if I were you and in your position I would up my offer a bit.

I put the "funk" in function()

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: So just like in the movies, the fate of this building is in my hands. I can raise my offer and save it from demolition, or sit idly by and spend the rest of my days driving past a parking lot, asking "what if".

I think it'd all depend on the difference between what you offered and their asking price. If you can stretch to near it (they'll haggle, surely), go for it. If not, keep looking, plenty of fish in the sea as they say.

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
iscrulz
iscrulz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:05 PM Reply

damn that sucks. Well if you raise the bid price and do get the building the neighboring company should stfu if they complian to you.

if the building does get demolish make sure to take pics so we all can cry together :9

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:06 PM Reply

Maybe they are just trying to dupe you into paying more.

I dunno...

It was originally way below asking price.

Silly Malo.

boloneyman
boloneyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:06 PM Reply

I say buy it, so tending Newgrounds can become an easier task, and making our lives a lot easier too. I wish I lived closer to you so I could try to get a job as a janitor or something.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature
TBF
TBF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 06:52 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Honestly, I don't know what to do. I don't like the idea of being forever disliked by the neighboring company, who really could use the parking space.

Do they really matter Tom? I mean don't you need a building as much as they need parking? So what if they dislike you(which they shouldnt if they are all grown ups), i'm sure they would get over it eventually.

Whatever happened to parking the car on the street and walking anyway? Walking never hurt anyone.

Moody-Media
Moody-Media
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:10 PM Reply

A ng office would be cool but if it has to wait it has to wait.

For the last time, i don't know how to rip a CD!!

BBS Signature
iscrulz
iscrulz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 4/15/05 07:01 PM, Tremour wrote: Just imagine in another ten years time : Newgrounds Inc, 50 story office building, 5000+ employees, president Tom Fulp.

I think Tom would be on the board of directors and own more than 50% of the outstanding captial stock. Wade or James would be CEO.

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature
MystWilliams
MystWilliams
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:13 PM Reply

Myst's Thoughts

If you are uneasy about the money, it may not be a good idea. If the renovation cost and the offer together seem too much for you to handle right now, then it probably is not a good deal to invest in the building.

There comes a lot of work maintaining the place as well, I am not sure how big the building is and how expensive property taxes are there, but the site alone is enough to handle right now, and I don't see a big need for having a team, do you?

In the future maybe, but this may not be the right time. Now, since you have already made one offer, than you obviously are interested and must have very well weighed out the pros and cons, because of this initial offer you made this makes me feel like you do need the space and that you do want to move the NG office out of the basement and actually get a team going. In that case, it may be an investment worth going for. Having people work for you, while you work on on the business is always more beneficial if not - if you can keep up with taxes and other newly related costs.

Really think out the money factor here. I am not your accountant, so I don't know what you make exactly, though I have idea, and I think you are in a position to go either way. You are comfortable right now, maybe better, but if you expand slightly, you could very well be just as comfortable in the new office and could in fact turn in better earnings as well as efficiency both for yourselves and us.

Sometimes the risk is worth taking, but sometimes it is not. I like 3:1 odds, but 10:1 odds is not my game of choice. So, do what is best for your financial situation, but don't rush. Most likely, you won't be even able to outbid the neighboring building - I think.

GoDDawgas
GoDDawgas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:15 PM Reply

Dude, go for it !

Back-Door-Baron
Back-Door-Baron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:17 PM Reply

Wow, that sucks.... I really hope you do find an office. I think you should try for this one, though... you need an office more than they need the parking space, and there's no reason to tear down a perfectly good building in Philadelphia. Go for it, Tom!

Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum...

ZT
ZT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Office Update Apr. 15th, 2005 @ 07:19 PM Reply

wow. Life really doesn't want you to have an office

Dayman-1
Dayman-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats