New Topic Respond to this Topic
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:33 AM Reply

At 1/1/10 08:34 PM, AccountableMasses wrote: I know I've asked before but to be really sure, if I play any music with my trumpet that I didn't write, I could be banned for it?

Because after reading most of this thread makes my head spin.

Covers are allowed. I.E. No, you can not be banned for it, as long as it is YOU playing, and not a sample from the original or someone else playing.

Generally, as long as what you submit contains nothing from someone elses work, or as long as it contains very very few premade loops... It should be ok to upload.

A lot of people seem to say covers are frowned upon... but I've yet to have anyone get bitchy with me about it, and my most popular uploads are covers (Which I am honestly disappointed about).

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 2nd, 2010 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 1/2/10 03:28 AM, sorohanro wrote:
Very Very Wrong !!!

I was talking about for instance people remaking megaman/mario tracks with perhaps here and there a different instrument but 100% the same compositionwise, and these people get awesome recognition.

Its absurd.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:05 PM Reply

At 1/2/10 11:43 AM, Calamaistr wrote:
At 1/2/10 03:28 AM, sorohanro wrote:
Very Very Wrong !!!
I was talking about for instance people remaking megaman/mario tracks with perhaps here and there a different instrument but 100% the same compositionwise, and these people get awesome recognition.

Its absurd.

Those are MIDI rips, those fall under another category of FAIL :))
But for pink panties's sake, please people learn the terms and use them correctly.
Remix =/= Cover Version
Sample =/= Loop
Music Sheet =/= MIDI Rip

At 1/1/10 08:34 PM, AccountableMasses wrote: I know I've asked before but to be really sure, if I play any music with my trumpet that I didn't write, I could be banned for it?

Because after reading most of this thread makes my head spin.

If you play it and you record it, then according to NG rules you should be fine.

TommyUlysesGrant
TommyUlysesGrant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:58 PM Reply

Well this is an interesting post if no one knew that already ... but I'm pretty sure now one in right mind would.

RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Programmer
Response to Do Not ... Feb. 24th, 2010 @ 12:36 PM Reply

you could always avoid technicalities and just write original music...

just you wait

Babyblue91
Babyblue91
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... May. 12th, 2010 @ 08:44 AM Reply

I take this as my example. I'm trying to submit something like this. A virtual orchestration + the vocals. Do you think is it okay?
I'm so confused on what I've read here. XD

Latest Music Upload: ll The Face Of Consequence ll Are you Asian? Asian Users Club is for YOU! ll Pinoy ka ba? Pinoy Club ang para sa'yo. ll

BBS Signature
Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... May. 12th, 2010 @ 09:18 AM Reply

At 5/12/10 08:44 AM, Babyblue91 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 72957
I take this as my example. I'm trying to submit something like this. A virtual orchestration + the vocals. Do you think is it okay?

You cannot take vocals from the original song (you'd have to sing them or get someone to sing them), so unless you did that you'll be fine

Comment/follow/click on some ads

Sig courtesy of InvisibleObserver

BBS Signature
Babyblue91
Babyblue91
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... May. 12th, 2010 @ 09:48 AM Reply

At 5/12/10 09:18 AM, Darkmaster603 wrote:
At 5/12/10 08:44 AM, Babyblue91 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 72957
A virtual orchestration + the vocals. Do you think is it okay?
You cannot take vocals from the original song

I see. Now that's cleared up. That was really helpful. Thanks!

Latest Music Upload: ll The Face Of Consequence ll Are you Asian? Asian Users Club is for YOU! ll Pinoy ka ba? Pinoy Club ang para sa'yo. ll

BBS Signature
Gamekrazzy
Gamekrazzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... May. 16th, 2010 @ 03:30 AM Reply

Hey, I just got banned, and I read the agreement and everything. I was just wondering, because I just now realized it, and well... I just think that if someone gets banned you would let them know right? Because I didnt know and ive been checking to see if the music was put on. After reading this though i can see that even though i put alot of effort into making the song, because it was based on an original song, for example "Zelda" i get banned. Do you think i can be unbanned, because now i have original music by me, and i cant post it. :(

*Gamekrazzy

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Do Not ... May. 16th, 2010 @ 04:38 AM Reply

At 5/16/10 03:30 AM, Gamekrazzy wrote: Hey, I just got banned

Make a new account, there is no such thing as unbanned, like there is no such thing as undied.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Gamekrazzy
Gamekrazzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... May. 16th, 2010 @ 05:56 AM Reply

At 5/16/10 04:38 AM, Calamaistr wrote:
At 5/16/10 03:30 AM, Gamekrazzy wrote: Hey, I just got banned
Make a new account, there is no such thing as unbanned, like there is no such thing as undied.

I didn't want to do that, but if its the only way to show people my stuff, and improve from critics. I guess i dont have much choice. I really wish i could know why my first 2 were not accepted though im pretty sure i was correct on my assumption.

*Gamekrazzy

Smashed22
Smashed22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 29th, 2010 @ 12:21 PM Reply

yea quick question
how long does it take for a moderator to look at an audio submission and how long does it take to be posted??

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 29th, 2010 @ 12:31 PM Reply

At 12/29/10 12:21 PM, Smashed22 wrote: yea quick question
how long does it take for a moderator to look at an audio submission and how long does it take to be posted??

It was literally just a few threads down.....for shame.. lurk more.

BTW as of right now us audio mods are a little busy with the holidays and all. i would say right now its about a week or two in waiting.

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Smashed22
Smashed22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 29th, 2010 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Ohhhh ok thanks

TheSmashbros45
TheSmashbros45
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 07:11 AM Reply

somebody submited a video game music, but not remixed is origanal from the game
and i see that acount is not banned

I DON'T NEED A SIGNATURE

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 07:20 AM Reply

At 12/30/10 07:11 AM, TheSmashbros45 wrote: somebody submited a video game music, but not remixed is origanal from the game
and i see that acount is not banned

probably an oversight or something, post it in this place and it may or may not be removed

Shock-Dingo
Shock-Dingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 10:29 AM Reply

Hi there,
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but for future audio and flash reference on my part I have to ask this. So let's just say I'm making a Metal Gear flash and was going to add 5 seconds of the intro theme and a disc scratch noise, that's no longer acceptable correct? Would someone creating na audio portal remix be the acceptable way to go then?

Thanks in advance for the answer. :)

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 8 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature
SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 12/30/10 10:29 AM, Shock-Dingo wrote: Hi there,
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but for future audio and flash reference on my part I have to ask this. So let's just say I'm making a Metal Gear flash and was going to add 5 seconds of the intro theme and a disc scratch noise, that's no longer acceptable correct? Would someone creating na audio portal remix be the acceptable way to go then?

Thanks in advance for the answer. :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1216 941/1

That is a post by tom fulp (creator of newgrounds) ...kind of relevant to your question.

Now back to your inquiry.
Uploading audio from a video game is against the rules because it is copyrighted material.
Putting 5 seconds of audio from a video game into a flash is also against the rules.
You can request an audio artist from the portal to cover it for you for your flash. I mean technically that is what we are here for.

you can create a thread in the audio forum requesting your audio needs for your flash. We are a community that SHOULD be composed of entirely original work.

yes yes yes i know people still do it. (put copyrighted music in flash). That doesn't mean you should because in the long run the flash may eventually be deleted by the admins. And GOD FORBID some asshole from a video game company has a hard-on for newgrounds decides to pursue legal action the flash will be deleted without hesitation by the admins to avoid any sort of legal trouble. Also you will see in the post from tom that he is encouraging ORIGINAL work.

I hope that helps

Shock-Dingo
Shock-Dingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 12:04 PM Reply

You were a major help. I thank you. :)

Oh, quick question, does this apply to older stuff as well? Or is it only affecting stuff from now (date of announcement) on? I used a bit of music from an old japanese show for a voice demo a few years back, do I need to take it down?

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 8 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature
SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 12:08 PM Reply

At 12/30/10 12:04 PM, Shock-Dingo wrote: You were a major help. I thank you. :)

No problem man.

I wouldn't worry about old stuff at all. If it becomes necessary in the future to remove content im sure the site admins will make it known and take appropriate steps to remedy the situation.

Shock-Dingo
Shock-Dingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 12:41 PM Reply

Cool, thanks for the info man.

BBS Signature
Giantsgiants
Giantsgiants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Feb. 19th, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

Hey guys, I have a question.

Would this infringe copyright if I make a techno song that sounds similar to this song? I won't be using any of the original instruments or audio. There would be no vocals in my song.

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Feb. 19th, 2011 @ 11:03 PM Reply

At 2/19/11 10:50 PM, Giantsgiants wrote: Hey guys, I have a question.

Would this infringe copyright if I make a techno song that sounds similar to this song? I won't be using any of the original instruments or audio. There would be no vocals in my song.

That would be fine, as long as you are not using copyrighted material you should be ok.
Covers of songs are allowed into the portal. As long as you create everything in your submission from scratch you will be fine

Lacrioso
Lacrioso
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Feb. 20th, 2011 @ 08:00 PM Reply

Curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I must submit a question;

• carly commando everyday
    carly commando everyday by rosenrotR

Click to listen.

Score
    4.13 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

Is this okay? I'm sure most if not all of us are either familiar with this piece or the video - the author claims he/she has "re-arranged" and "edited" it enough to be able to confidently claim it as their own work.

I'm calling shenanigans. Thoughts?

"I also using FL Studio know this VST plugins, and Nexus plugin but now."

From the brilliant mind of SugarSimon

JackRocker
JackRocker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Feb. 20th, 2011 @ 08:13 PM Reply

At 2/20/11 08:00 PM, Lacrioso wrote: Curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I must submit a question;
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 99575
Is this okay? I'm sure most if not all of us are either familiar with this piece or the video - the author claims he/she has "re-arranged" and "edited" it enough to be able to confidently claim it as their own work.

I'm calling shenanigans. Thoughts?

if it's a copyrighted song, it doesn't matter how much re-arranging and editing the "author" did..it's still a bannable offense.

Lacrioso
Lacrioso
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Feb. 20th, 2011 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 2/20/11 08:13 PM, JackRocker wrote: if it's a copyrighted song, it doesn't matter how much re-arranging and editing the "author" did..it's still a bannable offense.

Which was my thought exactly. On numerous occasions, I've stumbled upon things in the Audio Portal that are, simply, illegal. The odd time so that I've reported it and/or attempted to put these thieves out in the spotlight - and what do I get? A Garbage Whistle level.

Methinks there should be no exception to this rule. Copyright is copyright, illegal is illegal.

'Nuff said.

"I also using FL Studio know this VST plugins, and Nexus plugin but now."

From the brilliant mind of SugarSimon

danjojockedisc
danjojockedisc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... May. 19th, 2011 @ 11:24 AM Reply

At 2/20/11 08:13 PM, JackRocker wrote:
if it's a copyrighted song, it doesn't matter how much re-arranging and editing the "author" did..it's still a bannable offense.

ok... last question, and I think this may clear it up for other remixers/samplers as well.

Are these permissible on NG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMOnj4Tfi YU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
http://tindeck.com/listen/gocl
http://tindeck.com/listen/nhfu

yo, the name's danjo jockeydisc with a "y."
I was so excited about making an account just to play "LEVEL UP!" that I forgot the "y."

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 25th, 2011 @ 09:50 PM Reply

At 8/15/08 08:48 PM, SBB wrote:
At 8/15/08 06:02 PM, nataSNoose wrote: I use samples from cd's and sound websites that say I can share samples under a creative commons liscense.
Would I get banned if people believe that the free samples I use off of sound websites probably stolen or cutted from some copyrighted source?
Samples from sites like Freesound.org and similar sites with royalty-free samples are generally fine. If the original source is a copyrighted sample, it's still, well copyrighted. Just use common sense when browsing and downloading samples. If you are worrying about whether sample might be copyrighted, just avoid using it and everybody will be happy happy

I have no idea what those two last lines were about. Sorry. I don't understand why you worry since you're approved long ago anyway.

I got royalty-free samples a few years ago. Free download and everything. But not long after, when I went back to get more, they were not royalty-free. What does that mean about my legal use of them?

And I have a question about MIDIs, what is considered a rip, and copyright about the MIDI. Let's say I have some MIDIs of some VG songs, and particular instruments are playing in multiple channels, meaning there are multiple note tracks for each of the instruments. Now, what if I want to take only a part of each and put them together with completely different instruments? Is this a rip? I was reading about the sheet music copyright and this has me all confused. The picture below perhaps explains what I mean about the notes. My latest song, Galloper, was made this way, by method of MIDI splicing. It sounds like neither of the original melodies. Is this wrong?

Do Not ...

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 26th, 2011 @ 03:24 AM Reply

At 9/25/11 09:50 PM, Tydusis wrote: It sounds like neither of the original melodies. Is this wrong?

Never thought to write your own music ?
To me, music is like love. The parallel would be:
"I have a girlfriend and I love her very much but last party I had oral sex with another girl and after I had anal sex with another. It was like neither of the original sex with my girlfriend.
Do that really count as cheating?"

On your profile is written "I am just a guy who wants to create", so, why not create ?