Be a Supporter!

Do Not ...

  • 18,683 Views
  • 216 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Steven-Polley
Steven-Polley
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Mar. 4th, 2009 @ 09:38 PM Reply

At 3/4/09 06:20 PM, Envy wrote: If its just a midi with different sounds, NO it's not allowed.

That sir... is a double negative... unless you put a coma after "NO"...

Anyways about half of the portal is nothing more than midi rips and random buttons pushed on a drum machine.


Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com
We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!
Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
ViceOfFire
ViceOfFire
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Apr. 28th, 2009 @ 05:49 AM Reply

Sorry to bump a month old thread but I thought it would be much better than making my own.
See, in my very first submission (which is awaiting approval) I used a vocal breakdown from a song I'd rather not mention, but it is commercial.
The vocals were not sung, merely spoken, and the words that were spoken were NOT the intellectual property of the artists involved, they are actually popular sayings from a lot of different websites.

Seeing as I sampled this, I will probably get banned, but the fact that I included just the vocals alone and the artist does not own the rights to those words, I should not be.

Is this a valid argument? Btw the whole song by me is original, the only thing I put in was those words.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Apr. 28th, 2009 @ 06:12 AM Reply

At 4/28/09 05:49 AM, ViceOfFire wrote: Sorry to bump a month old thread but I thought it would be much better than making my own.
See, in my very first submission (which is awaiting approval) I used a vocal breakdown from a song I'd rather not mention, but it is commercial.
The vocals were not sung, merely spoken, and the words that were spoken were NOT the intellectual property of the artists involved, they are actually popular sayings from a lot of different websites.

Seeing as I sampled this, I will probably get banned, but the fact that I included just the vocals alone and the artist does not own the rights to those words, I should not be.

Is this a valid argument? Btw the whole song by me is original, the only thing I put in was those words.

Lyrics, just as poems and novels, are subject to copyright. Just because "they're simply words", does not mean someone, somewhere, doesn't have legal right to call them their own.

For example, if I were to write my own song, and sing the lyrics of a popular song over top of my original progression, I could be sued for using copywritten material.

Not to mention... samples are pretty much forbidden, as well as loops. The idea of newgrounds is to submit completely original content, not take things from others and use it to your own ends.


Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
ViceOfFire
ViceOfFire
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Apr. 28th, 2009 @ 06:22 AM Reply

At 4/28/09 06:12 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 4/28/09 05:49 AM, ViceOfFire wrote: Sorry to bump a month old thread but I thought it would be much better than making my own.
See, in my very first submission (which is awaiting approval) I used a vocal breakdown from a song I'd rather not mention, but it is commercial.
The vocals were not sung, merely spoken, and the words that were spoken were NOT the intellectual property of the artists involved, they are actually popular sayings from a lot of different websites.

Seeing as I sampled this, I will probably get banned, but the fact that I included just the vocals alone and the artist does not own the rights to those words, I should not be.

Is this a valid argument? Btw the whole song by me is original, the only thing I put in was those words.
Lyrics, just as poems and novels, are subject to copyright. Just because "they're simply words", does not mean someone, somewhere, doesn't have legal right to call them their own.

For example, if I were to write my own song, and sing the lyrics of a popular song over top of my original progression, I could be sued for using copywritten material.

Not to mention... samples are pretty much forbidden, as well as loops. The idea of newgrounds is to submit completely original content, not take things from others and use it to your own ends.

What I said was that they weren't the artist's words, if you had read what i wrote.
They are quotes from someone (I forget who)
And they weren't sung either, so there is no intellectual property in a tune or w/e.

So basically it's just spoken words that are not their own.
I'm not even sure if it was their own sample.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Apr. 28th, 2009 @ 08:15 AM Reply

If you use a recording (using those words as a sample) that means that you're using someone's else recording(duh !) which is copyrighted as recording.
If those words are "popular proverbs" "folklore sayings" or other public domain poems, you can record yourself and use.

Using a copyrighted recording is a NO-NO. (doesn't matter what is on the recording)

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Apr. 28th, 2009 @ 04:39 PM Reply

What Soro said... said it so much better than I did.


Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
metallkylling
metallkylling
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Jun. 13th, 2009 @ 01:12 AM Reply

well, can you use some of the tunes on this as a background beat/melody whit the authors accept? i just got a thumbs up from soundshifter to do a cover/remix of the windmill theme, and im kinda worried that i might get suspended, i put some flanger, increased the tempo a bit andd the key of the tones, and after that, i made it dual layered, so it sounds like dueling guitars... would this be not accepted? do i need to do some more than that to get accepted?


yours, metallkylling

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jun. 13th, 2009 @ 05:04 AM Reply

If the track is from Newgrounds you can remix it, it's under Creative Commons licensing:
"Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this music, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one."

Now about remixing, if you just put an effect or speed up a track, it's not really a remix.
If you slice it to bits, rearrange, add new parts, record on top some other synths or voices, put a solo guitar... now that's more creative.
But that's more about quality and not legality or NG rules.
It's up to you to decide if that's quality enough. If it's from Newgrounds you're ok.

MkieNedachi
MkieNedachi
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 01:55 PM Reply

Your wrong.
Legally we can use 9 seconds of a track.
Would you like to argue about it?


BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 02:02 PM Reply

At 7/6/09 01:55 PM, MkieNedachi wrote: Your wrong.
Legally we can use 9 seconds of a track.
Would you like to argue about it?

You're*

And legally, I don't even think that's true. Even if it is, there's a difference between LEGAL rules aka laws and NEWGROUNDS rules. This is about what's allowed on the site you're on, being Newgrounds.

get it?
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 7/6/09 01:55 PM, MkieNedachi wrote: Your wrong.
Legally we can use 9 seconds of a track.
Would you like to argue about it?

This is more like a urban legend than a legal truth.
Actually, people who studied laws know that there is not such law.
If you still think that this law really exist, provide a link to it, I DARE YOU.

Also, as said before, Newgrounds rules are more strict about.

MkieNedachi
MkieNedachi
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Jul. 6th, 2009 @ 04:22 PM Reply

Okay i didn't think that through did i lol
but still cant get me wrong i'm still kinda right though newground rules aren't mandatory or the actual Law of music.

I'll shut up & let yu people cry about Copyright & Winge about people aking a remix, mix etc etc & uploading it here. lol

But it was very me who said 9 seconds is the legal time for a sample, its actaully all most of DoA who no there stuff being as there actaully professionals & not teenagers or kids who have EJ on there PC. ROFL

I'm not into politics or laws so i best leave this thread be & move on to a DnB page were i can listen to Famu & snort coke vigorous & enjoy breaking my toes while i'm kicking the floor in some odd fashion like i should be in a mental home.


BBS Signature
Meonly70
Meonly70
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jul. 16th, 2009 @ 09:27 PM Reply

Does Newgrounds COPYRIGHT the music we post here?

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Aug. 25th, 2009 @ 06:39 PM Reply

At 7/16/09 09:27 PM, Meonly70 wrote: Does Newgrounds COPYRIGHT the music we post here?

Yes, under CC license.
Creative Commons

At 8/25/09 06:25 PM, 97crazylegs42 wrote: Remixs arnt allowed?

Reading is allowed. The info you need is several times discussed in this thread.

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 1st, 2009 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 8/25/09 06:39 PM, sorohanro wrote:
At 7/16/09 09:27 PM, Meonly70 wrote: Does Newgrounds COPYRIGHT the music we post here?
Yes, under CC license.
Creative Commons

At 8/25/09 06:25 PM, 97crazylegs42 wrote: Remixs arnt allowed?
Reading is allowed. The info you need is several times discussed in this thread.

technicaly within the next few years ALL forms of music will have been alredy made, therfor it would be impossible to create anything further until the musical styles of the past are irraticated.

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 10th, 2009 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 4/13/05 12:21 PM, Maus wrote:
At 4/13/05 07:30 AM, SpamWarrior wrote: MY intellectual property, THEIR sources, so i'm a little confused on that.
Sampling. So you want to be the next P. Diddy and use a clip of a previously recorded song in your work and make millions. Do you need a license when you're only using a little bit of someone else's work? YES! YES! YES! Not only will you be embarrassed like Vanilla Ice in every interview, but you will also invite a slew of lawsuits and criminal actions. Using a piece of a previously recorded song in your recording is called sampling. Any kind of previously recorded clip from a movie, commercial, or music is considered a sample. Sampling, just like using the full-recorded version, requires you to obtain the Sound Master or Master Use License. It does not matter if you add effects to the sound clip to make it your own; if the derivative work belongs to someone else you need to obtain the license before you can use it.

HA HA HA HA HAAAAAaaaa!!!! How very little you know about the music industry and ther laws. for your incompatence, I hope you ARE sued for your music just so I can see you FAIL at defending yourself, Muah HA HA HA HAAAw!!

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 10th, 2009 @ 02:23 PM Reply

At 7/6/09 02:10 PM, sorohanro wrote:
At 7/6/09 01:55 PM, MkieNedachi wrote: Your wrong.
Legally we can use 9 seconds of a track.
Would you like to argue about it?

:WRONG!! you can change the style of a song, but not the basic substance,chorus,or melody without specifice permission.

This is more like a urban legend than a legal truth.
Actually, people who studied laws know that there is not such law.
If you still think that this law really exist, provide a link to it, I DARE YOU.
OK, here you go http://www2.digidesign.com/digizine/arch ive/digizine_june04/mixing/
Also, as said before, Newgrounds rules are more strict about.
eredkcuf
eredkcuf
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 29th, 2009 @ 12:03 PM Reply

How long does it takes this period that they evaluate my first submission?

I made a submission last saturday and it's still withheld by the moderators.

=/

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 29th, 2009 @ 12:30 PM Reply

At 9/29/09 12:03 PM, eredkcuf wrote: How long does it takes this period that they evaluate my first submission?

I made a submission last saturday and it's still withheld by the moderators.

=/

Go to this thread please.


Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
eredkcuf
eredkcuf
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 29th, 2009 @ 12:57 PM Reply

At 9/29/09 12:30 PM, MH16 wrote:
At 9/29/09 12:03 PM, eredkcuf wrote: How long does it takes this period that they evaluate my first submission?

I made a submission last saturday and it's still withheld by the moderators.

=/
Go to this thread please.

My bad, thanks. =)

marcusg
marcusg
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 26th, 2009 @ 11:43 PM Reply

I need something clarified because I do not want to get in trouble. In audio portal I found quite a few songs with anime and movie quotes. There was one song made entirely by the one anime quote for 3 minutes Espcially in Drum n bass . I know this is taking someone else work if its copyrighted.

Is it legal to quote (snippets or instruments) from anime made from different country, or if its not licensed?

If I get the rights to use copyright material, can I post it on newgrounds?

Any tips on finding stuff thats not copyrighted or lost copyright protection?

electricstar
electricstar
  • Member since: May. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Voice Actor
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 11:05 AM Reply

I too have a question regarding this

A little while ago, i uploaded my voice acting demo reel to here, it never showed up, i try to upload something else and now it says i have been banned from submitting anything from the audio portal. Could it be that my demo reel had copyrighted material?!

i guess i'll never know....and how long is this ban gonna be? is it permanent? Or it's it a specific amount of time put? I would really like some answers, since i really wanna be a voice actor here, and now...this.

Grargh
Grargh
  • Member since: Oct. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 01:36 PM Reply

technicaly within the next few years ALL forms of music will have been alredy made, therfor it would be impossible to create anything further until the musical styles of the past are irraticated.

It's perfectly possible not to take a recording someone else has made and use it in your own work though.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Member since: Apr. 15, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 01:51 PM Reply

Actually, you take anyone's song and sing it, then post it on anywhere you are breaking the law. As you didn't have rights to cover the song.

Actually covers are allowed without permission per US copyright law. You just have to sent a specific royalty if it gets that kind of exposure.

electricstar
electricstar
  • Member since: May. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Voice Actor
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 10:28 AM Reply

repeating my previous question just incase anyone missed it, cause i could really use an answer.

is the ban on submitting to the audio portal for forever, or for a certain amount of time?

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 1st, 2010 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 11/27/09 10:28 AM, electricstar wrote: is the ban on submitting to the audio portal for forever, or for a certain amount of time?

Forever, or at least until the moderators get new tools which allow them to unban you.

--

Anyway, I just found out how lucky I am. A year or so ago, I saw someone upload the original version of the song 'Live and Learn'. I then thought that we were allowed to upload songs that we didn't make but making sure that we credit their authors, and went to do the same myself. It came up with the error message saying that the MP3 I chose wasn't sampled at 44100 Hz. If it wasn't for that I'd be banned by now :P.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 1st, 2010 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 11/27/09 10:28 AM, electricstar wrote: repeating my previous question just incase anyone missed it, cause i could really use an answer.

is the ban on submitting to the audio portal for forever, or for a certain amount of time?

Probably in the background music you had something, or was just so bad that some moderator took it as "spam audio".
Better to contact a audio moderator and ask.
Feel free to thank to the guys who hacked my account (and because of that I'm not a moderator anymore) because I could have checked myself why... but now...

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 1st, 2010 @ 05:37 PM Reply

sorry for flinging a cat above my head but imo any content that recreates an existing track on the sheetmusic should be a bannable offence.
There are alot of tracks that have been 'remade' with just a few different instruments, composition being 100% the same, how in the world is that anything respectable, they never came up with the composition so why should they be getting scores for em at all.

Only original compositions should be allowed.


Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

AccountableMasses
AccountableMasses
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 1st, 2010 @ 08:34 PM Reply

I know I've asked before but to be really sure, if I play any music with my trumpet that I didn't write, I could be banned for it?

Because after reading most of this thread makes my head spin.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Jan. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:28 AM Reply

At 1/1/10 05:37 PM, Calamaistr wrote: sorry for flinging a cat above my head but imo any content that recreates an existing track on the sheetmusic should be a bannable offence.
There are alot of tracks that have been 'remade' with just a few different instruments, composition being 100% the same, how in the world is that anything respectable, they never came up with the composition so why should they be getting scores for em at all.

Only original compositions should be allowed.

Very Very Wrong !!!
You would ban actually all the Classical music, the REAL Classical music (you know, Mozart, Bach, Haydn...etc).
As you might know, playing an instrument is a:
1-Skillful activity
2-Personal experience (nobody play same piece EXACTLY the same)
Having different points of view over a song/ instrumental track can be original and interesting.
I would listen to Frank Zappa's "Stairway to Heaven" (cover of Led Zeppelin) ten times more than an "original" techno track badly made in FL, putting all clichés together.