New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jujutiles
Jujutiles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 14th, 2008 @ 08:55 AM Reply

At 4/13/05 03:11 AM, FDA wrote: Do not upload copyrighted material.... if I catch you or anyone else doing this.... you risk having your account suffer the consequences.

NG is a great community and we offer lots of FREE entertainment. I knwo many peopel just want to SHARE other songs, etc... however this can get into a legal issue.

The audio portal is designed so that NG members can upload and share THEIR OWN creations.... these can be used for submissions in the portal in either the games or short flicks department, etc.....

I have recently had to ban quite a number of members from ever uploading audio. Hopefully this number will lessen and one day maybe even become next to nothing.

so that means if my relative had music and i had his permission to add it, then i still couldnt put it on the audio portal cause of the copyright?

Aw shizzle.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Do Not ... Sep. 14th, 2008 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 9/14/08 08:55 AM, Jujutiles wrote:
At 4/13/05 03:11 AM, FDA wrote: Do not upload copyrighted material.... if I catch you or anyone else doing this.... you risk having your account suffer the consequences.

NG is a great community and we offer lots of FREE entertainment. I knwo many peopel just want to SHARE other songs, etc... however this can get into a legal issue.

The audio portal is designed so that NG members can upload and share THEIR OWN creations.... these can be used for submissions in the portal in either the games or short flicks department, etc.....

I have recently had to ban quite a number of members from ever uploading audio. Hopefully this number will lessen and one day maybe even become next to nothing.
so that means if my relative had music and i had his permission to add it, then i still couldnt put it on the audio portal cause of the copyright?

that's right - in fact, someone in the past got in trouble for uploading their aunt's music and posing as a girl...

and silly FDA - that number will never be next to nothing - there is a daily rush of new artists that don't read the rules - it will never end! :P

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
DJ-OverLord
DJ-OverLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 16th, 2008 @ 11:02 AM Reply

Hello, I've got a Question,

I've Posted Several Songs, I Made myself,
Originally with the Idea to share it, get comments, and make it free to use for Flash Artists from here.

But here it comes.
My songs are going to be used in an Role Playing Game.
(Still in Development in Holland)
Am I Allowed to Post them here? I don't know much about the Licensing Terms of Video Game Soundtracks, I'm Still a simple Student, which means I'm not an Absolute Pro.
If anyone Could make that Clear for me, I'd Be really happy;)

I've read the other posts in here, but i Couldn't Find Anything Which Could really answer my Question..

Thanks in Advance

DJ OverLord

BBS Signature
SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 16th, 2008 @ 12:45 PM Reply

If you didn't give them the complete rights to the track (aka they own it now, not you), it's perfectly fine.

In fact, we encourage you to post them here. :D

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 16th, 2008 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 10/16/08 12:45 PM, SolusLunes wrote: If you didn't give them the complete rights to the track (aka they own it now, not you), it's perfectly fine.

In fact, we encourage you to post them here. :D

is it against the rules to submit a song with copyrighted samples but write out a contract saying ppl are free to use it, but must ask permission from the original artist if they want to profit off of it? Just wondering..

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
wyldfyre1
wyldfyre1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 17th, 2008 @ 02:58 AM Reply

yeah, long story short. Don't be a douche! Post original stuff! ^_~ and follow rules.

WF1

F-777
F-777
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 17th, 2008 @ 04:48 AM Reply

• crazy loop shut up
    crazy loop shut up by sonicamy

Click to listen.

Score
    3.77 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Voice Acting
    Popularity

I don't get it...why don't people know what "copyrighted" means? I knew that at age 4!

BBS Signature
Sp1r1T
Sp1r1T
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 17th, 2008 @ 07:26 PM Reply

At 10/17/08 04:48 AM, F-777 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 73191
I don't get it...why don't people know what "copyrighted" means? I knew that at age 4!

;OoOooOoOoO Jesse Posted? xD

Yeah, Why say its no tyours too...

BBS Signature
DJ-OverLord
DJ-OverLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 18th, 2008 @ 08:33 AM Reply

Okay, Thanks very much, I understand it now.
I didn't give them the full rights, I own the songs.
Thanks very much for helping me.
I'll Keep posting on newgrounds then.

~DJ OverLord~

BBS Signature
SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Oct. 18th, 2008 @ 12:17 PM Reply

Glad I could help. :D

Dodopod
Dodopod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 11th, 2008 @ 10:18 PM Reply

So, it IS against the rules to upload a song written by another person even if you have permission from the rights-holder to upload it? Is it also against the rules to upload a remake, remix, cover, etc. of a song written by another person with their permission? Or an almost completely original work with a sample or two from another artist's song, with permission? What about doing any of those with a public domain song?

SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 11th, 2008 @ 10:20 PM Reply

At 11/11/08 10:18 PM, Dodopod wrote: So, it IS against the rules to upload a song written by another person even if you have permission from the rights-holder to upload it?

Correct.

Is it also against the rules to upload a remake, remix, cover, etc. of a song written by another person with their permission?

Depends. Did you write the remix or whatever? Also, did you avoid using samples? Then you're fine. Otherwise, no.

Or an almost completely original work with a sample or two from another artist's song, with permission?

With permission, go for it. :D

What about doing any of those with a public domain song?

Public domain is public domain, go for it.

JohnnyFrizz
JohnnyFrizz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 11th, 2008 @ 10:58 PM Reply

At 4/13/05 04:05 AM, Denvish wrote: # You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.

# Loops you made from existing copyrighted songs are not your own original work.

# If you turn out to not be the original author, you will be responsible for any repercussions.

# You are giving permission to Flash authors to use your audio, free of charge.

# You will remain the owner and credited author of the submission.

Dude, the staff should put all that shit on CAPS on the Audio Portal page! And say "Dude if you want to upload something to this site.....bla, bla bla....NOTE: If we catch you submitting copyrighted work we're gonna track you down and make sure you rot in jail for the rest of you god dam life.

Srsly this ppl think this is YouTube or something...
TheComet
TheComet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 12th, 2008 @ 02:52 AM Reply

Quick question on samples...

If we use something small, such as a short voice clip out of a movie trailer or something like that, or use a voice clip that has bounced around the genre a bit (such as "Shit is about to get real now" or "Get Wicked"), is that ok or is that pushing it a bit?

I'm wondering since I have several cases where I've done this...actually...a TON. Same goes for countless other artists.

ps: I really hope I don't wind up having to remove some of my good tracks due to this D:

Flash Count: 111 | Audio Count: 559
Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 12th, 2008 @ 06:01 AM Reply

i dont get it.. i read the rules when i joined and they weren't that hard to figure out.. why are there so many dumbasses on here that cant figure out simple rules.
And the AP has some of the best minds on newgrounds...
To the stealers and fakes---YOUR MAKING US LOOK BAD --ASSHOLES!!!!!!!

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 12th, 2008 @ 08:01 AM Reply

As copyright goes, you arent allowed to use anything from an artist until 75 years after his/her death. If you were to cover a classical piece then the person would have to be dead by about 1940. Unless the rights have been passed on to a buyer or family member.

Covers, although completely remade by yourself in copyright law is still illegal. You need documented allowance to re-create the piece of music, to do your own cover. So typically, anyone who makes a remix, without permission by the creator can be potentially sued.

The reason why it seems to be okay alot to make covers is that people to make alot of money from it. If it were to go public for money then you would most definetly have them on your tail. Samples are a no-no. From anything without permission. The misconception of it being under 30 seconds of a sample is a lie. It is a load of rubbish.

If you recreate something which is obviously made to be similar to a certain piece, (art or audio) then you can get sued for plagiarism. Something like a guitar riff, bass riff, specific sound, or theme copy then you are copying, hence breaking copyright act.

Copyright law is a hole different section to law. It's massive. And one of the modules I had to take for my Honours Degree. I recently had Animation Mentor pull copyright on me when I recreated a 3d character and animated him which was inspired by their character. LegalAction was implied to say that the character was copied. Even after I had linked the original inspiration back to their website. I made all the character, rig, textures, lighting everything myself, yet they still had the right to pull copyright on me. Which they did.

So, you may not make money, you may be inspired, but even being inspired can get you into trouble.

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 12th, 2008 @ 08:07 AM Reply

Goddamn no edit...

>_<
The reason why it seems to be okay alot to make covers is that people DONT make alot of money from it.

and whole, spelt with a W.

BBS Signature
zomgkerrie
zomgkerrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 12th, 2008 @ 04:01 PM Reply

if light of the recent discussion on this thread...a few posts before mentioned its a no-no to upload songs written by relatives. may i present

• The Awakening (Chris Bendo)
    The Awakening (Chris Bendo) by Bendo

Click to listen.

Score
    4.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

number 18 in the top 30....

it makes me sad! it's not even his own work, and clearly states its someone elses..there are several songs he has submitted under the same circumstances.

Adam-Beilgard
Adam-Beilgard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 12th, 2008 @ 09:15 PM Reply

So wait....if I take, say....a T.I. song and record myself singing with him and post it

- THAT'S ILLEGAL?

Just kidding, I know it's not

where's Rucklo with his ban hammer?

...the four right chords can make me cry
Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Nov. 13th, 2008 @ 11:19 AM Reply

Actually, you take anyone's song and sing it, then post it on anywhere you are breaking the law. As you didn't have rights to cover the song.

That's the mistake people make, they think just because you aren't making profit, you aren't doing anything illegal. You don't need to make profit of anything to break the copyright act. Copying is enough. The reason why people get away with it is that the majority of the time the person/company/band/etc don't mind the extra publicity. If you sing their song, put it on youtube of you singing it, they aren't being hurt by it, instead they are getting publicity. However, as I said, AnimMentor pulled copyright on me, and I wasn't making a single penny from what I done.

BBS Signature
sarias
sarias
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 3rd, 2008 @ 11:02 PM Reply

so as long as its in public domain or you have the original authors permission then your ok?

HalcyonicFalconX
HalcyonicFalconX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 4th, 2008 @ 12:52 AM Reply

At 12/3/08 11:02 PM, sarias wrote: so as long as its in public domain or you have the original authors permission then your ok?

Here's some reading material for your questions.

Syhitcguy
Syhitcguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 9th, 2008 @ 11:55 PM Reply

so basically, if i wanted to make an orchestral song into NOT orchestral, but rock, does that mean i can't post it here?

I mean, it would suck if i couldn't.

Grey-shado
Grey-shado
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 11th, 2008 @ 11:09 PM Reply

So let me ask this question:

My friend created a song (OMG Like no way you have friends? [joke] ) but he wants to post a song but it was based off another song so it sounds like it (not too much but its close) would he get banned for it?

"a three hour experiment to breathe life back into Radiogrounds," THE ORGY CAST WITH KAROKARRA AND GREY SHADO EVER SUNDAY 8-10PM NG TIME

BBS Signature
Grey-shado
Grey-shado
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 11th, 2008 @ 11:13 PM Reply

and a message to everyone about the covers question:
Simply put Since the composer/ writer created the song he or she owns everything so in that case you can't unless you wrote it and you lets say a acoustic version of your song that you wrote.

"a three hour experiment to breathe life back into Radiogrounds," THE ORGY CAST WITH KAROKARRA AND GREY SHADO EVER SUNDAY 8-10PM NG TIME

BBS Signature
Grey-shado
Grey-shado
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 11th, 2008 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 12/11/08 11:11 PM, diminitive wrote:
At 12/11/08 11:09 PM, Grey-shado wrote: So let me ask this question:

My friend created a song (OMG Like no way you have friends? [joke] ) but he wants to post a song but it was based off another song so it sounds like it (not too much but its close) would he get banned for it?
No, as long as he made his own version without sampling the original (directly cutting sounds from it, and pasting it in his own)

Thanks he was wondering that for a while I guess he's going to flood the audio portal now >.<

BBS Signature
TrevAKATha1ne
TrevAKATha1ne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 28th, 2008 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 4/14/05 08:15 AM, SpamWarrior wrote:
At 4/14/05 06:50 AM, Pandora_Tranquil wrote: who cares about all this bullshit about copyrighted songs and samples.

if you cant find a sample or a synth thats not copyrighted somewhere on the net then you are fucking dumb.

there shouldnt be a problem with all the songs, people are just being fags.
Chill the fuck out. What if people are new to the entire thing? Its only natural to want to remix things you like, as much as it is natural to sit down and right something from scratch.

Sure, takes skill to make you're own, takes just as much natural talent to spot tunes that mix together in interesting ways.

Now this is interesting... considering I did the same thing and got banned for it. but I suppose I deserved that counting I didn't quite understand the rules... I suppose I was a bit slow on the uptake. so I guess I had it coming... oh well, nothing I can do about it now

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Dec. 29th, 2008 @ 08:18 AM Reply

At 12/9/08 11:55 PM, Syhitcguy wrote: so basically, if i wanted to make an orchestral song into NOT orchestral, but rock, does that mean i can't post it here?

I mean, it would suck if i couldn't.

Theoretically you can. If it's just a midi with guitar noises plopped on top, then no, you can't.

It still has to be your own ORIGINAL work. That doesn't mean you made EVERYTHING including melody and stuff, it basically means every remix someone makes has to be a scratch remix.

Which means making it from scratch LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOPL

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

8bitRush
8bitRush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Mar. 4th, 2009 @ 05:55 PM Reply

I got one simple question (since i didnt get much out of this thread);
Is it okey to put up remixes of videogame music? (Like, tetris, zelda, DKC and shit).

Couse that is basically what i do, i make remixes of VG music.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Do Not ... Mar. 4th, 2009 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 3/4/09 05:55 PM, 8bitRush wrote: I got one simple question (since i didnt get much out of this thread);
Is it okey to put up remixes of videogame music? (Like, tetris, zelda, DKC and shit).

Couse that is basically what i do, i make remixes of VG music.

You can... but keep in mind you'll be one of 9,000 people on this site that just makes remixes... If you're looking to just do VG remixes, try OCremix or something. Tough to get on to, but thats what that's there for.

If its just a midi with different sounds, NO it's not allowed. It's supposed to be "Your own original work" and technically VG remixes shouldnt be allowed, unless you change it so it's not just a remake...

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat