midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 00:28:56 Reply

At 5/20/14 06:29 PM, ksthultz15 wrote: cant use ASIO cause I'm using Linux Ubuntu. Any other tips guys?

if you're running FL via wine you can use wineasio and JACK to get ASIO working

actually you might not even need wineasio, but you will definitely need JACK

p.s. i am gay

ksthultz15
ksthultz15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 09:50:00 Reply

At 5/21/14 12:28 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 5/20/14 06:29 PM, ksthultz15 wrote: cant use ASIO cause I'm using Linux Ubuntu. Any other tips guys?
if you're running FL via wine you can use wineasio and JACK to get ASIO working

actually you might not even need wineasio, but you will definitely need JACK

I tried installing wineasio, but nothing worked. Im such a beginner when it comes to LInux. I looked on the ubuntu forums and I couldnt find anything that worked. And then for jack, Im pretty sure i have it installed, but it doesnt work.

ksthultz15
ksthultz15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 11:43:06 Reply

Update: Wineasio installed. It shows up in FL Studio's sound settings. Then QJackCtl installed. I started QJackCtl and set my driver to my hw:PCH which is my default. But then when I selected Wineasio in FL Studio. It crashes, and I have to reset FL Studio's settings.

Please, someone help me lol.

8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 13:42:36 Reply

How does one add real stereo width and depth to mixes in fl? I find just panning sounds doesn't cut it. I use reverb and unison on synths etc but I'm after more, especially on basses . I was Wondering if the fl stereo shaper or stereo enhancer might be the key? Only I'm not familiar with using them, would it be something I can stick ony bass buss?

Check out my EP ''Joystick Junkie''

BBS Signature
ksthultz15
ksthultz15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 13:53:32 Reply

At 5/21/14 01:42 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: How does one add real stereo width and depth to mixes in fl? I find just panning sounds doesn't cut it. I use reverb and unison on synths etc but I'm after more, especially on basses . I was Wondering if the fl stereo shaper or stereo enhancer might be the key? Only I'm not familiar with using them, would it be something I can stick ony bass buss?

Depending on the layout of your mixer, usually the right side, is where your plugins go. You'll see a knob that says Stereo Width when you turn it.

Turn to the left and it seperates and widens stereo. Turn to the right and it merges it to mono. I might have a width of about 10-15%. But its really to your own taste.

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

Daru925
Daru925
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 14:32:56 Reply

Stereo shaper combined with sidechaining is pretty effective, and in the help files, a lot of useful techniques are explained.
I use the mid/side processing a lot, to add depth and space while keeping definition.

Salut!
I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.
Merci! :)

BBS Signature
8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 14:37:57 Reply

Turn to the left and it seperates and widens stereo. Turn to the right and it merges it to mono. I might have a width of about 10-15%. But its really to your own taste.

Thanks for response, do you use it on your master buss or in individual tracks? Or both etc.

BBS Signature
Daru925
Daru925
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 14:38:08 Reply

Also (sry double post), when I use maximus on the master channel, i tend to make the bass parts mono, the mids stay centered or with little stereo, and the highs are not compressed, instead i widen the stereo field alot.

Salut!
I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

BBS Signature
8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-21 14:49:18 Reply

At 5/21/14 02:38 PM, Daru925 wrote: Also y double post), when I use maximus on the master channel, i tend to make the bass parts mono, the mids stay centered or with little stereo, and the highs are not compressed, instead i widen the stereo field alot.

Hey, that's what I do sometimes, I try to keep low mono and spread the others, not sure its achieving the fullness I'm after though. Although I am mixing in headfones mostly.

BBS Signature
TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-25 11:36:06 Reply

Hi everyone,
So, I've bought Fruity Soundfont Player per the advice of @MidiMachine. I saved the "FLregkey" thing to a folder and put the folder as my "VST plug-ins extra search folder" in the file settings, but I still can only use the demo version of FL Soundfont Player. Help, please (and thank you in advance)! ;(

"Knowledge is freedom; guilt is knowledge; freedom is guilt." --- "I hate logic; it must die." --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-25 20:56:58 Reply

At 5/25/14 11:36 AM, TheDoor6 wrote: I saved the "FLregkey" thing to a folder and put the folder as my "VST plug-ins extra search folder" in the file settings, but I still can only use the demo version of FL Soundfont Player. Help, please (and thank you in advance)! ;(

did you open and run the FLRegkey.reg file? it doesn't matter where it is on your computer, you just need to run it to add the info to your computer's registry to unlock the plugin.

p.s. i am gay

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-05-25 23:41:47 Reply

At 5/25/14 08:56 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 5/25/14 11:36 AM, TheDoor6 wrote: I saved the "FLregkey" thing to a folder and put the folder as my "VST plug-ins extra search folder" in the file settings, but I still can only use the demo version of FL Soundfont Player. Help, please (and thank you in advance)! ;(
did you open and run the FLRegkey.reg file? it doesn't matter where it is on your computer, you just need to run it to add the info to your computer's registry to unlock the plugin.

Ya, I was positive I did...it just still showed up as the demo version in my project...I even refreshed the page and tried re-opening the tab. :/ Thanks for being so willing to help again, though! ^^

"Knowledge is freedom; guilt is knowledge; freedom is guilt." --- "I hate logic; it must die." --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-05 00:16:23 Reply

At 6/4/14 10:29 PM, Cabbster wrote: I'm constantly unsure what sidechaining is used for.

Is it simply to keep all synthesizers going to the rhythm of drums, and vice versa, through linking volume parameters to peak controllers, or to simply have easier control of automation on various parameters?

What is the purpose of this, just for effect, or for overall mixing/mastering?

There's a lot of reasons for sidechaining in whatever form it comes. In practical mixing terms, its used to help keep conflicting things like kick and bass from overlapping as much, generally dipping out the bass at the exact time the kick hits automatically. In this same fashion its used for an effect, a swaying type of sound generally. With 4 to the floor its not very hard to just automate whatever parameter, but with more complex beats this gives you the freedom to rearrange without redoing automations.

Also, using it subtle lets instruments or voices stand out amongst background. A more extreme example of this is when radio producers speak over music or whatever in the background. Everything is ducked out for their voice so they dont have to manually adjust all volume all the time.

So I guess in laymans terms, yes it makes automations easier by making them automatic, but there are definitely cases where it would be next to impossible to do what a sidechain does as well as it does with just hand drawn or moved variables.

Daru925
Daru925
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-10 13:53:23 Reply

Hello!
I'm reading some articles about mixing in mono and i'd like to give it a try.
Now i'm not sure how to set it properly in FL.

Once i turn the stereo knob to the right on the master channel, do i have to pan to one speaker or keep everything centered?
It might seem a strange question to you, but to me, mono signal through stereo speakers seems strange as well :)
I'm confused, help, tasukete, au s'cours etc! :D

Salut!

BBS Signature
Oakwood
Oakwood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-12 12:58:09 Reply

At 6/10/14 01:53 PM, Daru925 wrote: Hello!
I'm reading some articles about mixing in mono and i'd like to give it a try.
Now i'm not sure how to set it properly in FL.

Once i turn the stereo knob to the right on the master channel, do i have to pan to one speaker or keep everything centered?
It might seem a strange question to you, but to me, mono signal through stereo speakers seems strange as well :)
I'm confused, help, tasukete, au s'cours etc! :D

Keep the panning centered. I don't know how mono works in detail but after turning the master to mono, panning it left or right wouldn't do anything other than just...panning.

[Hidden Audio Gems]
SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook
PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!
Latest track: Clouds (Oakwood RMX)!

BBS Signature
8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-17 15:40:07 Reply

This is a fl question that involves kontakt. So say I have a couple of different instruments loaded in kontakt that are going to desperate midi out channels in fl, how do I assign those individual midi outs to fls mixer? The usual assign to mixer option ain't there.

BBS Signature
Daru925
Daru925
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-17 18:27:09 Reply

At 6/17/14 03:40 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: This is a fl question that involves kontakt. So say I have a couple of different instruments loaded in kontakt that are going to desperate midi out channels in fl, how do I assign those individual midi outs to fls mixer? The usual assign to mixer option ain't there.

Hello!

Each color in the piano roll corresponds to a midi channel.

But a cleaner method is explained here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/fr/support/knowledge-base/show/962/how-can-i-insert-native-instruments-plug-ins-in-fl-studio/

Also you will probably want to be able to add separate effects for each instruments:
http://www.native-instruments.com/fr/support/knowledge-base/show/997/how-to-route-kontakt-5-to-multiple-outputs-in-fl-studio/

Hope this helps

On a side note, i didn't notice that someone replied to my question ahah
LiquidOoze, thanks for the input, i've been searching further about mono and as always there is no definite answer^^
Some people argue that having mono sound through 2 speakers creates a "phantom image" (pretty scary heh), and they like to listen and adjust their mix on one speaker only...
I've tried both methods and the latter worked better for me :)

Salut!

BBS Signature
8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-17 19:01:35 Reply

Also you will probably want to be able to add separate effects for each instruments:
http://www.native-instruments.com/fr/support/knowledge-base/show/997/how-to-route-kontakt-5-to-multiple-outputs-in-fl-st

Thanks man I'll give that a go

BBS Signature
TicTackLock
TicTackLock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-18 00:14:18 Reply

Man...how do I make a song loop properly?
I have been trying to get a song to loop but it always has a clipish sound at when it start's over

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-18 01:55:14 Reply

At 6/18/14 12:14 AM, TicTackLock wrote: Man...how do I make a song loop properly?
I have been trying to get a song to loop but it always has a clipish sound at when it start's over

when you export your song, there's a drop down box in the export window called "looping mode", select the "wrap remainder" option.
also i've found that if you were playing a song right before you exported it, all your automation has to reset and it takes a couple of milliseconds. if you were automating volume or filters and stuff like that then you would definitely notice the reset. if you press stop before going to the export window then this won't be a problem.

OH and also mp3 files will always have a short silence at the start where the meta data goes, so that's something to keep in mind if you want truly seamless looping!

p.s. i am gay

TicTackLock
TicTackLock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-18 09:34:37 Reply

Thank you dude!
It really helped a lot!

ProjectAwesomes
ProjectAwesomes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-20 00:47:08 Reply

how do I find a good instrument, and how can I make it sound even better when I put things from the mixer to it.

also. can you make a sound fade or whatnot in the play list?

One day, Il be better than you. and that's when we can be friends. right?

8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-20 18:07:01 Reply

At 6/20/14 12:47 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: how do I find a good instrument, and how can I make it sound even better when I put things from the mixer to it.

also. can you make a sound fade or whatnot in the play list?

Try the plugin picker and select one of the synths and tweak those knobs. Then once its in the mixer add a fruity reverb 2 and maybe some delay and play with those settings!
One way to create a volume fade is to right click the volume slider of the track that the instrument is assigned to and select create automation clip, then go to your playlist and draw a downward slope in the automation clip.

BBS Signature
ProjectAwesomes
ProjectAwesomes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-21 00:19:07 Reply

One way to create a volume fade is to right click the volume slider of the track that the instrument is assigned to and select create automation clip, then go to your playlist and draw a downward slope in the automation clip.

okay cool. thanks man : )

One day, Il be better than you. and that's when we can be friends. right?

8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-21 02:40:15 Reply

Kontakt is killing my CPU, how do I freeze sounds then disable the plugin?

BBS Signature
audiofilth
audiofilth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-06-29 19:23:58 Reply

Does anyone have a fully working copy of FL through Wine? i can get mine to kinda work so far.

Thanks.

TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-07-02 04:16:21 Reply

Should there be a level I ensure that my final mix doesn't go over before i master it?
Or should i just make sure that it doesn't peak over 0db
How much headroom should i leave and why?
I'm currently leaving 3db of headroom to play with when i master.

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

Daru925
Daru925
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-07-02 06:30:14 Reply

I think it's pretty arbitrary and depends of the music style, the dynamic range etc...
However, when i scout the net for mastering information, leaving 6dB and 12 dB of headroom seemed to be a common practice.
More precisely, on their website engineers often ask for a "24 bits wave mix at -6db max without any kind of limiting" for their mastering needs. (in fl you can use 32bits or master directly)

Also when adding a limiter at the very end of the mastering stage, another common practice was to not set it at absolute 0dB, but choose values like -0.3 dB; kind of extra safety.

Salut!

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-07-27 22:34:31 Reply

Done using FL Demo and getting the full version soon so I no longer have a crap ton of doodled up audio made in a single sitting. What plug ins (possibly free for now) would one recommend? Thinking of ambient, dubstep, and house genres since I tend to get a lot of those tunes in my head but seem to lack the plug-ins to do them.

Request Reviews // #9 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
Voltus
Voltus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-07-28 07:53:49 Reply

At 7/27/14 10:34 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Done using FL Demo and getting the full version soon so I no longer have a crap ton of doodled up audio made in a single sitting. What plug ins (possibly free for now) would one recommend? Thinking of ambient, dubstep, and house genres since I tend to get a lot of those tunes in my head but seem to lack the plug-ins to do them.

You should consider buying a FL version with sytrus included, it's a very powerful fm synth with wich you can make those filthy growls and vowelish bass sounds relatively easy. another great synth from image line is harmor, which is awesome for resampling. included in a lot of fl versions should also be the granulizer which is also great for throwing samples in and toying around until you get some nice sounds and noizes.
For processing there are a lot of different free compressors and so on I like the ones from here quite a lot: http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/
in the free synth space I don't know a lot, I'm quite happy with the internal fl stuff. If you have the know how FL is a powerhouse for those kinds of genres!

Voltus' Soundcloud
Newest Track: Launch Window
If you want me to Review one of your pieces, just send me a PM ;)