New Topic Respond to this Topic
BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 05:46 PM Reply

I'm trying to get orchestral string samples to sound realistic by creating volume swells with CC #7 (Main Volume), but it is annoying to do this separately with all five string channels (Violin I+II, Viola, Cello, Bass).

Is there a way to control CC #7 on all of those channels at once? The swells will all be the same, so I don't want to have to draw the same thing over five times throughout a whole piece.

Please help?

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 05:46 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: Help

Problem solved. I just learned the wonders of automation and how to link multiple parameters to a single automation. i can't believe how much easier this is...And to think I've been doing everything manually for so long now. -_-

DjZeaklous
DjZeaklous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

I am creating a mashup using FL using stems from a remix pack and would like to get them all synced to a particular BPM (.965 of a BPM slower than they currently are). Is there any way to do this precisely and simply? I tried using the time stretch multiplicator knob, but it is not precise enough for what I need, it seems. Any way to make it more precise or is there another method I can use? There are 14 stems in wave sound, so I'd have to do it individually for all 14, correct?

"Everything is permissible for me"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"-but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12-13

BBS Signature
DjZeaklous
DjZeaklous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 11:02 PM Reply

At 8/11/12 12:00 PM, DjZeaklous wrote: I am creating a mashup

Any help please?

"Everything is permissible for me"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"-but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12-13

BBS Signature
HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 8/11/12 11:02 PM, DjZeaklous wrote:
At 8/11/12 12:00 PM, DjZeaklous wrote: I am creating a mashup
Any help please?

If you're using the time manipulator knob, I don't see how or why you can set the tempo of the stems to the precise BPM that you want (unless my method is slightly different to yours).

Anyway, here's what I do (and it does work) :)

Load a stem into Edison and set Edison to the tempo of the stem (via right clicking on "TITLE" and entering the bpm). Drag your tempo-marked stem from Edison into a sampler. Click on the "SMP" tab and select "Pro-Default" in the drop down menu of the "Time Stretching" section. Again, in the time stretching section, right click on "Time" knob and select "Autodetect". A big pop up menu should appear. Select the tile that says "x bpm (embedded)". This will sync the sample to the tempo of your project. Repeat this process for all of your stems. To get that ~0.935bpm slower, adjust the tempo of your project by that specific amount (a pop up will appear (Restretch all samples?) click "yes"). This will sync up your samples to the project. It will take a while to sync all of them. You could then bounce down the stretched samples to save your PC from stretching them everytime you start up that project.\

Hope that made sense, if not, here's a VIDEO explaining some of it.

Hope it helps :)

lol fuk u

ToxInjection
ToxInjection
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 05:55 PM Reply

Hey guys, I have a little (possibly stupid) question, because somehow, the tutorial on FL itself isn't helping me out. It tells me that I can use a volume envelope to have the synths and sounds I use end when I have them end on the piano roll, and not have them echo onward. How do I go about getting these volume envelopes for my synths?

And this question pertains more to submitting audio to Newgrounds in general, but I hope I can throw this little one in too. Newgrounds specifically states that you can NOT use premade samples in your songs, and that your songs must be 10% your work. I was wondering if it was alright to use ambient samples. For instance, I'd like to have the sound of rain falling in the background in one of my songs I'm working on. Is it alright for me to find a rain loop on the internet and use it in the song, or does that still fall under the rule of no samples?

INJECT yourself with some of these TOXic tunes! Get it, because tox-...I'm sorry:

Newgrounds Uploads | Soundcloud! :D

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 06:49 PM Reply

At 8/12/12 05:55 PM, ToxInjection wrote: Hey guys, I have a little (possibly stupid) question, because somehow, the tutorial on FL itself isn't helping me out. It tells me that I can use a volume envelope to have the synths and sounds I use end when I have them end on the piano roll, and not have them echo onward. How do I go about getting these volume envelopes for my synths?

You can do this by editing the volume event. It's the same as automation, but then only in a pattern (if you wish).
I prefer editing the event of the mixer channel volume rather than the channel volume itself, and I had a reason to that but I forgot what it was :P anyway, here's how I do it.
You go to the pattern that contains the piano roll sequence of which you want to control the volume, send your synth to its own mixer channel, then right click on that mixer channel's volume fader and click 'Edit events'. You get a pop-up in which you can draw a graph. This graph represent the volume level in that specific pattern. Now, to cut off the volume at the end of the piano roll, you should keep the volume the same as the synth is playing (you can draw straight line with the right mouse button), and right after the last note of the sequence has played, draw a vertical line downwards to 0%. This will make the volume of the synth be zero as soon as it stops, so there won't be any echoing.

I hope this is clear, it's quite hard for me to explain stuff like this to someone. :S

And this question pertains more to submitting audio to Newgrounds in general, but I hope I can throw this little one in too. Newgrounds specifically states that you can NOT use premade samples in your songs, and that your songs must be 10% your work. I was wondering if it was alright to use ambient samples. For instance, I'd like to have the sound of rain falling in the background in one of my songs I'm working on. Is it alright for me to find a rain loop on the internet and use it in the song, or does that still fall under the rule of no samples?

A rain loop is fine, as long as it's not copyrighted, but I don't think there won't be any copyrighted rain loops :P

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 07:26 AM Reply

At 8/12/12 05:55 PM, ToxInjection wrote: Hey guys, I have a little (possibly stupid) question, because somehow, the tutorial on FL itself isn't helping me out. It tells me that I can use a volume envelope to have the synths and sounds I use end when I have them end on the piano roll, and not have them echo onward. How do I go about getting these volume envelopes for my synths?

If you're using Sampler or 3xOSC channels, open the instrument and click the INS tab to open your envelopes. Then experiment or google "attack decay sustain release" to find out how they work. What LiquidOoze was talking about is good for other things though, but for a beginner it's a lot to take in and not really what you want.

At 8/12/12 06:49 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: I prefer editing the event of the mixer channel volume rather than the channel volume itself, and I had a reason to that but I forgot what it was :P

Because if you edit the event of the channel volume and you smack a compressor/limiter/distortion/overdrive etc. on that instrument then your volume changes won't work the way you want them to :P

p.s. i am gay

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 08:51 AM Reply

At 8/13/12 07:26 AM, midimachine wrote: Because if you edit the event of the channel volume and you smack a compressor/limiter/distortion/overdrive etc. on that instrument then your volume changes won't work the way you want them to :P

That's it alright. xD

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 10:20 AM Reply

A question...

Whenever I do something to the mixer while playing a project, the "amount of voices being processed" bumps up to freaking ridiculous numbers. Like, when I'm playing a project that has a simple bassline, a generic off-beat trance melody thing, and a beat on the playlist while messing with the effects on the mixer, it would go up to 70 - 90 voices being processed, which makes it laggy and glitchy as playing a 36 player Call of Duty multiplayer game on release day with a really crappy connection.

Is it a problem with my computer, or the software?

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:37 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 10:20 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: A question...

Whenever I do something to the mixer while playing a project, the "amount of voices being processed" bumps up to freaking ridiculous numbers.
Is it a problem with my computer, or the software?

Is this one project or all of them? And what are you doing to the mixer exactly?
Try this: one by one, open each instrument channel and click the MISC tab - click the button that says "cut itself", and set the "Maximum polyphony" to something relatively low (you shouldn't need it higher than 16 for most things).

p.s. i am gay

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:46 AM Reply

At 8/23/12 12:37 AM, midimachine wrote: Is this one project or all of them? And what are you doing to the mixer exactly?
Try this: one by one, open each instrument channel and click the MISC tab - click the button that says "cut itself", and set the "Maximum polyphony" to something relatively low (you shouldn't need it higher than 16 for most things).

All of 'em. I was adjusting the volume on the mixer's channels (in some cases, applying/tweaking effects like delay, reverb and even EQ) is when the problem occurred.

Also, thanks. Going to try that out later today.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:22 AM Reply

At 8/23/12 02:46 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: All of 'em. I was adjusting the volume on the mixer's channels (in some cases, applying/tweaking effects like delay, reverb and even EQ) is when the problem occurred.

Also, thanks. Going to try that out later today.

Lil update on the problem. Went and have a quick look at my projects and found out that not all of them have the same problem. Slightly similar symptoms do occur however (polyphony count jumping to unrealistic counts, like 10-20+ voices are being processed when a typical DnB drum beat and a simple arp is playing).

For some projects, the polyphony problem starts even when I just opened the project and left the mixer alone although not incredibly seriously (25-40 voices, as opposed to 80+ voices that happens rarely), often when more than one instrument is playing (snare, kick, hi hats however are rarely a part of this problem).

Here's a pic:

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:59 AM Reply

Press stop or Ctrl+H - does the count go back to 0 momentarily? If the other thing I suggested doesn't work you can try muting each channel at the step sequencer one by one to try and pinpoint the culprit (it's almost definitely an instrument channel doing this). You don't happen to use the built-in channel delays much, do you?

The only other thing is maybe disable all of your midi inputs (File>Options>MIDI Settings), if there are any available.

p.s. i am gay

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 8/23/12 08:59 AM, midimachine wrote: Press stop or Ctrl+H - does the count go back to 0 momentarily? If the other thing I suggested doesn't work you can try muting each channel at the step sequencer one by one to try and pinpoint the culprit (it's almost definitely an instrument channel doing this). You don't happen to use the built-in channel delays much, do you?

The only other thing is maybe disable all of your midi inputs (File>Options>MIDI Settings), if there are any available.

Okay...

Stopping would make it go back to 0, as expected. Ctrl+H does stop the count at 1-5 before going back up. I've got no MIDI inputs, so that's not causing it.

As for the problem in the step sequencer, as far as I've seen in most of my projects it's the hi hat (both open and closed, goes above 10 voices). I'm assuming you're referring to delay that came with FL Studio. I don't use delay at all on my drums. Only on vocals and pads. I don't even use those two very often.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:28 AM Reply

So is it like... a particular hi-hat sample? Or will any old thing do the trick? If you can recreate the problem using stock samples you can PM me the .flp and I can probably diagnose the problem better.

p.s. i am gay

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:12 PM Reply

At 8/23/12 11:28 AM, midimachine wrote: So is it like... a particular hi-hat sample? Or will any old thing do the trick? If you can recreate the problem using stock samples you can PM me the .flp and I can probably diagnose the problem better.

Alright, now that you've mentioned it, it IS a problem with a particular hi hat sample. More specifically, a set of samples. One from MusicRadar. The problem occurs when you play a certain sample on every beat, like hi hats in a typical 4/4 DnB beat, or a drum roll, or having really fast kicks. This problem never occurred before until last weekend, which means I could have done goof'd.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 04:49 AM Reply

all my complexer projects flat out crash if i accidentally press ctrl-x (the cut hotkey)

i press it by accident when trying to copy,

ive lost so many hours of work this week due to thissss 23ughgr3yg3

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 08:28 AM Reply

At 8/23/12 12:12 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Alright, now that you've mentioned it, it IS a problem with a particular hi hat sample...The problem occurs when you play a certain sample on every beat, like hi hats in a typical 4/4 DnB beat, or a drum roll, or having really fast kicks.

Make sure the samples aren't looping, I guess?

p.s. i am gay

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 08:32 AM Reply

At 8/26/12 04:49 AM, jpbear wrote: all my complexer projects flat out crash if i accidentally press ctrl-x (the cut hotkey)

what's your maximum undo levels set to (options > settings > general settings)?

might also be worth double-checking how often FL is doing backups (options > settings > file settings).

p.s. i am gay

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 02:47 PM Reply

At 8/26/12 08:32 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/26/12 04:49 AM, jpbear wrote: all my complexer projects flat out crash if i accidentally press ctrl-x (the cut hotkey)
what's your maximum undo levels set to (options > settings > general settings)?

might also be worth double-checking how often FL is doing backups (options > settings > file settings).

i have auto backup to about every 20 mins, i guess i should shorten that.

im at like 15 undo levels.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 07:57 PM Reply

can't be the undo levels, then. that really sucks man!

p.s. i am gay

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 09:57 AM Reply

Bumping to remind people to use this thread for FL Studio related questions - keeps the forum tidy and people with the best answers* are more likely to read it.

*i.e. ME :v

p.s. i am gay

acepivoter
acepivoter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 10:59 AM Reply

HOW DO I DELETE MY ACCOUNT?

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 9/9/12 10:59 AM, acepivoter wrote: HOW DO I DELETE MY ACCOUNT?

You can't delete your account with FL Studio. Try Cubase or Ableton.

BBS Signature
NinjaGuy
NinjaGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 09:11 PM Reply

What are the biggest reasons to buy this software, as opposed to just using the demo version?

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 03:03 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 09:11 PM, NinjaGuy wrote: What are the biggest reasons to buy this software, as opposed to just using the demo version?

being able to save is pretty crucial! ;)

also free updates forever, access to a really fantastic support forum and access to beta versions. pretty solid deal.

p.s. i am gay

GershBeats
GershBeats
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 09:21 PM Reply

Lead Synth Voices

What do you guys use for lead electro instruments? I mean lead synths, not like guitars or pianos, etc.

For VSTs I use a lot of Nexus and a fair bit of Sytrus, and I do manage to get a good lead synth voice now and then, but sometimes I find myself at a loss when deciding what effects to put on!

Any inspiration?

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 03:35 AM Reply

At 9/17/12 09:21 PM, GershBeats wrote: Lead Synth Voices

What do you guys use for lead electro instruments? I mean lead synths, not like guitars or pianos, etc.

For VSTs I use a lot of Nexus and a fair bit of Sytrus, and I do manage to get a good lead synth voice now and then, but sometimes I find myself at a loss when deciding what effects to put on!

Any inspiration?

how much do you know about synthesis, for starters? you shouldn't need to place too many external effects on your synth leads to make them sound good most of the time. sytrus is pretty versatile, but you might like more specialised synths for certain sounds. threre's a lot of good freeware synths by tweakbench, smartelectronix, xoxos & others that are good for getting creativity flowing but just try something other than sytrus or nexus just for a change. actually wasp xt, a free synth with FL, is REALLY good and simple to use.

p.s. i am gay

NinjaGuy
NinjaGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 12:18 AM Reply

Thanks, I will definitely look into the purchase, though first I would like to familiarize myself with the program. Does anyone know a way I can learn FL10 in demo mode, with maybe a video series, or written tutorials online? I've looked around, and it can be troublesome trying to find accurate models of any use to me.

BBS Signature