00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

661,989 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-05 16:39:58

At 12/5/12 03:19 PM, GershBeats wrote: Heyo folks, I've think I've got a very tricky situation, involving gradual tempo changes.

A lot of vsts respond unexpectedly if they're constantly playing as the tempo is gradually slowing down or speeding up, for instance nexus tends to pop quietly

this doesn't happen with any plugin i use - do you get the same pops with any plugins apart from nexus?
it sholdn't matter that your tempo is changing since note on/off triggers are instantaneous and volume envelopes aren't relative to the sample (i.e it doesn't skip back/forward through the sample itself when you change the tempo)

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-06 02:24:11

At 12/5/12 03:19 PM, GershBeats wrote: then how do you folks compensate for it when a tempo change is needed in your songs?

maybe it's got to do with the nexus delay being based on the track's bpm? don't use delays or just don't base it on your track's bpm. FL generally sucks overall at gradually changing tempo though

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-06 17:51:49

At 12/6/12 02:24 AM, garlagan wrote:
At 12/5/12 03:19 PM, GershBeats wrote: then how do you folks compensate for it when a tempo change is needed in your songs?
maybe it's got to do with the nexus delay being based on the track's bpm? don't use delays or just don't base it on your track's bpm.

yeah i was thinking this. if it's only happening with nexus then you should use a delay in the mixer instead, that should solve the pops & stuff

FL generally sucks overall at gradually changing tempo though

can you please elaborate on this? afaik all DAWs handle the actual tempo automation in roughly the same way.

i guess audio clips changing size with the tempo change is a GUI quirk that I could do without, but in the end it doesn't affect how the audio syncs up unless you start moving the playhead around yourself.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-06 18:11:08

At 12/6/12 05:51 PM, midimachine wrote: can you please elaborate on this? afaik all DAWs handle the actual tempo automation in roughly the same way.

i guess audio clips changing size with the tempo change is a GUI quirk that I could do without, but in the end it doesn't affect how the audio syncs up unless you start moving the playhead around yourself.

I obviously wasnt the one who said it, but there are some problems with tempo changing in FL.

The big problem used to be that you couldnt copy/paste values so switching to a precise tempo wasn't possible via an automation clip, but thats since been solved.

Currently though, there are two problems I know of. One is their video player. The video player is NOT synced to the timeline as it should be. Rather, just the transport controls are synced, so after a few seconds of playback, the video becomes offset from whatever audio you are trying to sync. This makes FL basically impossible for syncing sfx or music to video accurately.

The second is its tempo detection functions. That shit has never once spat out a proper BPM for me to use. I once tested it by bouncing down a four to the floor kick drum loop at 140bpm, and it told me the tempo was like 138.576 or some shit.

Granted, I dont use detect tempo very often and I could just be using it wrong, but the first of the two known problems is such a huge problem for film scorers and sound designers such as myself. It would take all of like a week to redesign the video player to be synced into the playlist properly, and gol himself told me that they had no interest in fixing it.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-06 18:14:58

Bit of a derp moment. I was speaking about tempo in general, not tempo automation. But the first of my two points still remains relevant. Try to do a tempo automation with a video going and the video will literally just freak out and go black. It's a result of the same cause though (player not being synced). Why is that stupid? Because most videos dont have a BPM, so tempo automation is really common to get musical cues to work flawlessly with the visual action on screen.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-06 18:50:50

At 12/6/12 06:11 PM, Breed wrote:
The second is its tempo detection functions. That shit has never once spat out a proper BPM for me to use. I once tested it by bouncing down a four to the floor kick drum loop at 140bpm, and it told me the tempo was like 138.576 or some shit.

been having this problem with collabing across daws lol

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-06 19:09:11

Too bad none of you Fruit Loops will ever be as good as Lil Weezy F Baby Da God.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-06 19:50:39

...oookay.
One question: when I export this certain project (which has, like, 6 soundfonts) in .mp3 format and the file size is about 6 MB, the export is really slow.?
Is this normal?

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-07 01:20:02

At 12/6/12 07:50 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: ...oookay.
One question: when I export this certain project (which has, like, 6 soundfonts) in .mp3 format and the file size is about 6 MB, the export is really slow.?
Is this normal?

Yeah mp3 renders generally take a long time, esp. if you're using a lot of stuff.
is your sampling interpolation set to "6-point hermite"? switching to that will probably make it quicker if you're currently using "x-point sinc".

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-07 01:49:41

At 12/6/12 07:50 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: ...oookay.
Is this normal?

fruity soundfont player does this,

the only solution is switching sounffont player,

the biggest BS is that fruity SF player is like 99$ on imageline

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-07 20:00:17

Does any one know how to get midi learn to work in fl studio through the midi out. Im trying to set on note press or something simple for fabfilter volcano 2 for midi trigger for the xlfo because the lfo's are not syncing with the song from start.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-15 16:43:11

How do I initialize sylenth inside fruity loops? I don't have menu like in this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wcv1YHe_2c

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-15 23:18:18

At 12/7/12 08:00 PM, Tabu112 wrote: Does any one know how to get midi learn to work in fl studio through the midi out. Im trying to set on note press or something simple for fabfilter volcano 2 for midi trigger for the xlfo because the lfo's are not syncing with the song from start.

Open your synth

Open your plug-in options (the arrow pointing down at the top left hand corner of your synth)

Click on "Browse Parameters."

find the parameter you need.

Right click on the parameter.

Click on "Link to Controller."

Use knob, slider or press key to "midi learn" it.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-16 07:34:33

I mean I want to load an empty preset but one doesn't exist

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-16 09:14:16

At 12/16/12 07:34 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: I mean I want to load an empty preset but one doesn't exist

Try buying the plugin. That should fix the problem =)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-16 09:33:59

can somebody export the init patch

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-16 13:15:19

At 12/16/12 09:33 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: can somebody export the init patch

Can't you create it yourself?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2012-12-17 20:53:26

At 12/15/12 11:18 PM, CorrosiveEyes wrote:

Seems legit, Ill give it a try thanks.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-02 21:57:55

Bumping up this thread since we are getting quite a few new guys in the forum...

FYI, I'm making tutorials for beginners and advanced users for FL studio. You can find me on YouTube here .

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-02 23:37:51

Just a quick question:

Should I produce using ASIO4ALL v2 or my Primary Sound Driver? I compared the two and noticed that bass is a lot more stronger when using ASIO4ALL, which is very pleasant and really clears up the mix, but I'm not sure if it will affect the quality of my music (aka, mastering on one driver might make the mix sound terrible on the other driver).

Thanks in advance :)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-03 07:20:57

At 1/2/13 11:37 PM, DjAbbic wrote: Just a quick question:

Should I produce using ASIO4ALL v2 or my Primary Sound Driver? I compared the two and noticed that bass is a lot more stronger when using ASIO4ALL, which is very pleasant and really clears up the mix, but I'm not sure if it will affect the quality of my music (aka, mastering on one driver might make the mix sound terrible on the other driver).

Thanks in advance :)

ASIO4ALL, definitely. It just runs so much better than the Primary Sound Driver. I don't think it actually affects the quality of your export since I've exported with both ASIO4ALL and the Primary Sound Driver without any noticeable difference; it's more for rendering live audio I think. But I'm not that savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff, so don't quote me on that.

One thing to watch out for, though, is that when you use ASIO4ALL, you're terminating any sound output from any other running application, and only FL can produce sound. In addition to that, pay attention that no other application is using sound when you switch to ASIO4ALL, because if there is, then FL Studio's sound won't work and you'll have to close all applications using sound and re-enable ASIO4ALL to get sound out of FL.

I always have a tough time explaining the above, haha; hope it makes sense.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-03 08:00:39

At 1/3/13 07:20 AM, Step wrote:

Thanks for the reply :) (it made sense, don't worry). Do you know of any way at all to enable ASIO4ALL for use outside of FL or is it exclusive to FL only?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-03 08:13:33

At 1/3/13 08:00 AM, DjAbbic wrote: Thanks for the reply :) (it made sense, don't worry).

You're welcome.

Do you know of any way at all to enable ASIO4ALL for use outside of FL or is it exclusive to FL only?

No idea.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-03 18:50:54

The thing is, when I mix using ASIO4ALL, the mix sounds very clean and crisp, but when I go to export it in mp3 format, or even listen to the mix using my Primary Sound Driver, it sounds terrible. I've done some research, and I learnt that ASIO4ALL or my Primary Sound Driver should have zero effect on the exporting quality, which leads me to think that there is a problem with my Primary Sound Driver.

In other forums, it has been suggested that it is probably the mastering of the track which makes it sound bad, but I don't understand why it sounds so good in ASIO4ALL if it is badly mastered.

If anyone has any insight into this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-03 19:09:23

At 1/3/13 06:50 PM, DjAbbic wrote: The thing is, when I mix using ASIO4ALL, the mix sounds very clean and crisp, but when I go to export it in mp3 format, or even listen to the mix using my Primary Sound Driver, it sounds terrible. I've done some research, and I learnt that ASIO4ALL or my Primary Sound Driver should have zero effect on the exporting quality, which leads me to think that there is a problem with my Primary Sound Driver.

In other forums, it has been suggested that it is probably the mastering of the track which makes it sound bad, but I don't understand why it sounds so good in ASIO4ALL if it is badly mastered.

It doesn't make sense to say that bad mastering is the problem because if it was then you should also be able to hear the bad quality in FL with ASIO4ALL on. First off, make sure you're exporting at a proper quality; make sure the bitrate is well above 128 Kbps, the sampling rate is sufficiently high, etc... You've been using FL for a while now though so I doubt that's the problem.

What might be the problem is that the Primary Sound Driver's buffer length is too low. It should be high enough for you not to hear any crackling noises (called underruns) but not much higher than that. So basically start at a really low buffer length, play your song in FL, and slowly increase it until the underruns count stops increasing (and consequently you stop hearing crackling in your audio).

However, again, I doubt that's the problem too; unless by "sounds terrible" you mean "covered with crackling noises". It also doesn't explain how an MP3 export also sounds terrible (although looking into this video might help in that department). When I switch from ASIO4ALL to Primary Sound Driver, the only noteworthy difference I see is that FL runs a whole lot slower and crashes a lot more. No audible decreases in quality, at least for me. To be honest this sounds a lot like a soundcard problem, and if the bad quality is really bugging you a lot, the only advice I can give you is to buy a new soundcard, which isn't very helpful and may not even fix the problem.

So yeah I'm not being very useful, sorry :(.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-03 19:10:58

At 1/3/13 06:50 PM, DjAbbic wrote:

this can happen you have way too much clipping, especially in lower regions.

WAV exports and daws can handle it but compressed formats cannot

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-03 19:38:55

At 1/3/13 07:09 PM, Step wrote: However, again, I doubt that's the problem too; unless by "sounds terrible" you mean "covered with crackling noises". It also doesn't explain how an MP3 export also sounds terrible (although looking into this video might help in that department). When I switch from ASIO4ALL to Primary Sound Driver, the only noteworthy difference I see is that FL runs a whole lot slower and crashes a lot more.

Firstly, thank you guys for quick replies :)

For me, when I switch from ASIO4ALL to my Primary Sound Driver, the mix sounds very compressed.

As for jpbear's reply, I'm not getting any clipping with the ASIO4ALL driver nor the Primary Sound Driver (I assume clipping means that the track's volume starts going into the red)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-03 19:41:16

At 1/3/13 07:38 PM, DjAbbic wrote: Firstly, thank you guys for quick replies :)

For me, when I switch from ASIO4ALL to my Primary Sound Driver, the mix sounds very compressed.

As for jpbear's reply, I'm not getting any clipping with the ASIO4ALL driver nor the Primary Sound Driver (I assume clipping means that the track's volume starts going into the red)

Sorry for the double post but I think I should say this as well, when playing a wav copy(in itunes, if it makes any difference), it still does not sound the same as what it sounds like inside FL Studio with ASIO4ALL active.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-13 16:41:20

Ok, I guess I figured it out. I had forgotten that I had a compressor on the master channel (for god knows what) and my mix indeed was clipping, so sorry about that jpbear :S. After I fixed the clipping, the track sounded the same using either driver. There is still a difference between the mp3 export and the project within FL, but I think it's because mp3 loses quality during exporting/rendering based on what I have researched.

So thanks for the help guys :)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-01-16 02:21:42

I asked a question a while back about tempo changes and forgot to respond here and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone how gave insight!

With regards to the mp3 sounding different from the in-DAW sound, that shouldn't really happen, or at least, not to the extent that it would be noticeable! Here's a problem I had (and fixed):

I quit using fruityloops for a few months because I had discovered the joys of ASIO4ALL, made a bunch of songs, but when I rendered them they sounded awful; high frequencies overtaking the entire song when they were too loud, and low frequencies being nearly non-existent. Going back to primary driver was painful, so I called it quits.

Then one day for some reason I tried uninstalling the Beats Audio that was preinstalled on my hp. Rendering worked perfectly from then on. My computer is so dumb though, that it automatically reinstalls beats when I restart, so I have to uninstall it each time I render. Beats Audio is the shittiest program of all time; I looked online for how to uninstall it permanently, and it can't be done without a major rework to the computer's software framework.

But there ya go. If beats audio is running, it'll mess your rendered song up BADLY. You've got to open device manager, find its driver, and uninstall it, then render. Simply disabling Beats Audio doesn't even work (I tried). You've gotta uninstall, then render.

phew.