Before I start, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read through all of this. It's not a TL;DR, I desperately need help.
Something is terribly wrong. I posted this question in the last page (I think) and didn't get an answer, so I'm reposting it except with much more details.
So, I open up FL Studio. Everything is working perfectly. I add VST after VST, and still everything is fine. No sticking at all; sure a few mess ups and glitches by East/West Symphonic Orchestra, but that's normal, and other than that, everything is fine.
I reach a climatic part of the song I'm making where there are like 4 different instruments playing at the same time. Suddenly, FL Studio switches to retarded mode. Now to explain exactly what 'retarded mode' is...
From when it was working perfectly fine, it's suddenly sticking like HELL. I can barely move my mouse properly since it laggs so much, and when I press play, the song plays really slowly, and you can see the time slider of the playlist moving very slowly and even taking a few steps back now and again. I can barely hear the instruments properly since they're drowned by a wave of 'grainy' static and loads of lagging. Everything is moving really slowly and lagging. Doing something simple which usually takes me 5 seconds takes me half a minute.
Then, after around 20-30 seconds of eternal lagging, FL Studio is PERFECTLY fine, if not BETTER than it was before it turned into retarded mode. Everything is playing smoothly and beautifully, and there are no laggs at all. I can work extremely efficiently and everything is working like a charm. I put my hopes up.
5 seconds later, kaboom, back to the eternal lagging for 20-30 seconds, and then the smooth and perfect running for 5 seconds, etc etc etc...
When I notice my CPU meter, I see it going to like 80-85% when it's in eternal lagg, and around 20-30% when FL's running really well. So, a recap:
1.) I open FL, everything works fine.
2.) I keep adding VST's, therefore increasing the amount of CPU FL takes, but it still works fine.
3.) Suddenly, when my song reaches a CPU-intensive part with many VST's playing at the same time, it turns into retarded mode.
4.) It laggs terribly for about 20-30 seconds.
5.) It runs very smoothly after that for around 5 seconds.
6.) Repeats steps 4 and 5 until I close FL Studio.
7.) When I open FL again and go to the same project, it works fine until it reaches a CPU-intensive part again and then it turns back into retarded mode.
I've never really done anything in particular which might have triggered this strange phenomenon. I had upgraded to FL9 a few months ago, but when I upgraded, everything was still working great if not better than when I was using FL8. Around a month ago or so, this started to happen, and I didn't install any new things (which might have given me any viruses) or did anything different than what I usually used to do.
Things I've tried:
* Using FL8 instead of FL9 and going to a CPU-intensive part. Same story, although even more grainy and staticy and even worse on FL8...
* Increasing AND decreasing my Buffer Size on ASIO4ALL.
* Un-ticking any unnecessary options and minimizing sound quality to Linear to maximize performance.
* Closing all programs except FL and ending all processes which I don't need.
* Not using East/West Symphonic Orchestra but using other VST's instead.
* Full virus scan on a daily-updated antivirus (AVG Internet Security).
* 3.25 GB RAM.
* 1.15 TB space, and a bit over 1 TB space left.
* 3.17 GHz Uniprocessor.
* Microsoft Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3.
* FL Studio 9 XXL Producer's Edition.
* ASIO4ALL latest version.
* East/West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver.
Things to note:
* When in retarded mode (i.e. 20-30 seconds of lagg then 5 seconds of perfect running, etc) FL Studio takes longer in lagging on more CPU intensive songs. 20-30 seconds is just an average. On songs which aren't so CPU-intensive, when FL is in retarded mode it spends only like 10 seconds lagging and then 5 seconds or so of smooth running, but sometimes the lagging can reach up to 30 or 40 seconds on really CPU-intensive songs.
* I haven't updated my OS for over 7 years. I can't update it since when we bought XP, the people we bought it from ripped us off and gave us a non-legitimate copy of XP, which means no updating or it'll recognise XP is not genuine, refuse to update, and furthermore retard-ate my computer.
* This probably doesn't have to do with bad system specifications. I had the same system specifications 2 months ago and FL was working fine at the time without any retarded-modes, even when it played very CPU-intensive parts of my songs.
* I don't know if this is a problem with FL Studio or my computer, although the dreaded retarded mode seems to happen only in FL.
* When FL goes into retarded mode, it can never go back into normal mode until I close FL and open it again.
* The difference between normal mode and retarded mode is that in normal mode everything runs smoothly, and in retarded mode, everything runs smoothly for 5 seconds before lagging badly for 20-30 seconds and keeps on doing that until I close FL.
Please, I've given all the information I can give, and I REALLY would like this to be fixed. I have a number of different deadlines to reach for making certain music, and this problem is making me take 4 or 5 times as long as I should to finish a song. If anyone could help me out, I'll be forever indebted to this person.
If you need to ask any questions, feel free to ask, maybe I didn't explain something clearly enough. If you want, I can record what happens on my mobile as a video so you could see for yourself.
Anyway, thanks for reading this far, and please help me out T_T.