00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Neptuno84 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

662,069 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-23 20:55:49

Well -x idk when i try to use a sample it sounds akward -x and i cant make any good beats

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-24 09:42:08

I use FL8, and I was wondering... Is there any way to merge a WAV file with an FLP file? A friend of mine asked me to add drums to his track and sent me the FLP. I added the drums, but he doesn't have the samples I used. Is it possible to merge the WAV file with the FLP so that I only need to send him the FLP(obviously larger in size...), or do I have to send him the WAV files too?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-24 10:30:42

At 10/24/09 09:42 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: I use FL8, and I was wondering... Is there any way to merge a WAV file with an FLP file?

Yes, you can import a .wav into FL.
I made a screenie for you ;p

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-24 12:00:51

Reposting my problem... Any ideas are welcome/appreciated.

I've got FL 8 and a Presonus Firestudio. I was running XP SP2 and got BSODs, updated to XP SP3 and the problem was solved. Then, I could record audio but every 1-2 minutes my audio cuts out (recording or not, it would cut out every 1-2 minutes). So I went into dxdiag and turned my stock sound card's hardware sound acceleration all the way down since I was using the Firestudio. Now, I cut out every 4-5 minutes. So obviously, I've made improvements. But does anyone know how to stop the cutting out? Or at least something to try? I'm not maxing out in CPU or anything like that.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-24 12:03:49

At 10/24/09 10:30 AM, MH16 wrote:
At 10/24/09 09:42 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: I use FL8, and I was wondering... Is there any way to merge a WAV file with an FLP file?

Oh wow, I thought it was impossible to do it :\. Thanks a bunch! :D

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-24 18:09:44

At 10/24/09 12:03 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
At 10/24/09 10:30 AM, MH16 wrote:
Oh wow, I thought it was impossible to do it :\. Thanks a bunch! :D

This did not actually answer your problem at all. What you need to do to make sure he gets the samples you imported into his .flp is to Export it as a Zipped Loop Package rather than a .flp. This will zip the loops and the .flp together. This only works for loops though, and if you use a VST he doesn't have it will not somehow zip up the vst, which is why I suggest bouncing any VST's outputs to wave post-production, pre-mix when collabing. It makes it so much simpler on everyone.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-25 15:11:09

At 10/24/09 06:09 PM, InGenius wrote: This did not actually answer your problem at all. What you need to do to make sure he gets the samples you imported into his .flp is to Export it as a Zipped Loop Package rather than a .flp. This will zip the loops and the .flp together. This only works for loops though, and if you use a VST he doesn't have it will not somehow zip up the vst, which is why I suggest bouncing any VST's outputs to wave post-production, pre-mix when collabing. It makes it so much simpler on everyone.

Oh, alright, lol, thanks :). Does it work with soundfonts, or do I have to shift their output to a wav too?

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-25 17:30:56

Any "generator", ie. VSTi, Soundfonts, Sampler, Rompler, anything except actual wav samples, needs to be bounced to pass it back and forth unless you expressly know the other person has said generator.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-31 18:57:32

At 10/31/09 05:56 PM, varrin7 wrote: I have a question, something that could help me save a lot of CPU: is there a way to record into different MIDI channels? I recently got a midi keyboard as a gift, but theres a problem: The way I used to do things is that when I was using EWQLSO, in order to save RAM, I would open up multiple instruments in the same plugin, and each one would be on a different MIDI channel. Then I would open the piano roll, and when I wanted to work on a different instrument, I would pick the MIDI "color" in the upper left corner of the piano roll. But now that I have a keyboard instead of a mouse, I can't do that anymore. So how do I record into different MIDI channels other than the primary one? My keyboard is an Axiom 25, and I have FL 8.

Let me know if you need any clarification/more info!

Thanks!

Midi Out channel, set to port X, channel 1. Now set the multi-out VST to Port X as well in the upper left hand corner of the Wrapper. Voila. Now each instrument in the multi will be the next channel, so the first instrument, 1st channel, second, second, etc. Also, for more in-depth answer, go back 1 page because this was answered about a week and a half ago.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-31 19:01:32

I'm trying to use some of the default pads, and the pad just stays through the whole song, rather than ending after a certain amount of time. Is there a way to change this/specify when a pattern should stop all sounds coming from it?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-10-31 23:20:09

Go to Channels, Add One, Midi Out. Set the Midi Out port to X where X is any number. Make sure the "Channel" setting in the Midi Out is 1 or whatever channel you want to record. Now go into the multi VST and set it's port to X as well. Now, make sure you're selected channel is the Midi Out and record your notes. Whatever you record on the Midi Out will play the MultiVST on the channel that Midi Out is set for. So, a Midi Out set to Port 1, Channel 2 will play the second instrument in a multiVST set to Port 1. It is the same answer though not the exact same question, but only because you wanted to specifically record your keyboard.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-10 14:47:24

Hello everyone, well I did a search and couldn't find an answer to my question so perhaps some one could help me :)
I'm pretty new to music production and have been using FL studio. The problem is on one of the presets in Toxic Biohazard called 8seq geniusis, it appears to play sequentially even though I have it only to play in one pattern and even once that pattern has finished playing it continues to do so. So my question is, does anyone know how to stop it playing beyond the pattern i assign it to? or am i completely missing the point :)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-11 16:15:20

At 11/10/09 02:47 PM, Eox wrote: Hello everyone, well I did a search and couldn't find an answer to my question so perhaps some one could help me :)
I'm pretty new to music production and have been using FL studio. The problem is on one of the presets in Toxic Biohazard called 8seq geniusis, it appears to play sequentially even though I have it only to play in one pattern and even once that pattern has finished playing it continues to do so. So my question is, does anyone know how to stop it playing beyond the pattern i assign it to? or am i completely missing the point :)

It's not your fault, it's the way the Seq was setup. The easiest way around it is to feed the VSTi a ghost note to cut it off. Click a new pattern in your pattern list, an empty one, put a single note in the Sequencer or Piano roll list at the beginning of the pattern, then turn the velocity of this note to 0. Now drop this pattern in wherever you want the Toxic VST to cutoff. There are a few VSTi's with poorly written SEQ modules that have this problem, or worse yet poorly programmed presets that loop internally regardless of outside data.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-11 19:57:04

Thank you very much! that worked a treat, I'm most grateful for your help!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 11:08:37

At 10/31/09 07:01 PM, kasha4890 wrote: I'm trying to use some of the default pads, and the pad just stays through the whole song, rather than ending after a certain amount of time. Is there a way to change this/specify when a pattern should stop all sounds coming from it?

I think this is your problem:
You're playing the pads using the step sequencer, instead of using the piano roll. Right-click on the channel with the pad and press 'Piano Roll'. Then, you can click anywhere for a bar to come up, and you can lengthen it and shorten it, depending on how long you want it. Here's a pic:

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 11:17:30

How do I make it so that one mixer channel is not affected by the main channel's effects?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 12:16:07

At 11/13/09 11:17 AM, Skela wrote: How do I make it so that one mixer channel is not affected by the main channel's effects?

I'm answering so many FL Studio questions lately, it's making me sound like I'm a pro or something O.o.

Anyway, what you do is, you go on the channel settings of the channel you want to put the effects on (by clicking on the channel itself) and at the top right there's a small meter with 'FX' next to it, where you can configure the number to whatever you want. Configure it to a number, double click on that number and you're in the FX channel you routed the channel in. For example, you have a kick and clap and you want to add distortion to the kick and reverb to the clap. Go on the kick's channel settings and at the top right of the window, change the FX Channel number to '1'. Then, double click on it, and in the mixer, put in the Fruity Flangus or whatever you want to use for distortion. Once you're done, go on the clap's channel settings, and at the top right configure the number to '2'. Then, double-click on that number, and in the mixer, add the Fruity Reverb.

Here's a better way of explaining it:
http://www.flstudio-tutorials.com/post/A dding-effects-to-a-channel-in-FL-Studio.
aspx

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 12:19:11

You missread my question, please read again.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 12:54:17

What you're going to want to do is use a channel as a kind of "pre-master" I think.

Send all channels except the one you don't want affected to this channel (let's say you use "Send Channel 1") and apply all of the effects you'd like on your master channel (sans that one you didn't send there, obviously).

Then send that channel to the master channel as well as the other channel you wanted unaffected.

An example:

You have a kick drum on channel 1 which you do not want to have a reverb effect, but every other instrument in your track you do (channels 2-5). You apply this reverb effect to another channel (perhaps channel 6, or send 1), send all of the channels 2-5 to that channel, then send that channel to master. Channel 1 is sent straight to master.

I think that is what you wanted to know. The technical details of how to actually make FL Studio send them places I'd have to look up the process for, but it's under the volume control in the channels on a per-channel basis if you can find that yourself. If you can't get back to us here in the thread and I'll look it up for you.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 13:59:09

At 11/13/09 12:19 PM, Skela wrote: You missread my question, please read again.

Oh, sorry, lol. What Reaper said, then :\.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 14:10:46

:At 11/13/09 12:54 PM, Reaper93 wrote:

Yes thank you, thats what I wanted to know.
But is there an easier/faster way to do that?
Say I already have a ton of mixer channels that I didnt send to "send", or do I have to send them all to that one channel?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 19:25:52

Any FX on the Master channel will affect every channel, there is no other way around it but to take FX off of the Master channel. So you have to create a Buss like the answer above where you route every channel you want affected to the Buss and unroute them to the Master, take all of the FX off of the Master, and then route the unaffected channels to the Master without going through the Buss. This is why experienced producers hardly ever put FX on the Master channel.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-13 20:01:31

my peak meter always moves really choppy and slow when i play something and why click on like a drum sound for example theres like a one second delay before it plays, is there a way to fix that?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-14 05:48:28

At 11/13/09 08:01 PM, cgizzle wrote: my peak meter always moves really choppy and slow when i play something and why click on like a drum sound for example theres like a one second delay before it plays, is there a way to fix that?

Yes, there is. Do these three things:

1.) Check how many other windows you have open and how CPU-consuming they are. Usually, if I just have Internet Explorer and FL Studio up, then mine works fine.
2.) Check your song... Are you using too many samples at the same time? Are your samples huge in size?
3.) The most likely cause: your buffer length is too large. Go on Options > Audio Settings, and make your buffer length around 4700 samples, or maybe your interpolation which is next to the choice of the buffer length might be too much - move it down to Linear or 6 point hermite. If you're using ASIO, then to change the buffer size, you have to press on 'SHOW ASIO PANEL'. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not 100% sure about what I'm saying :\.

If the above don't work, then you need moar RAM.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-14 09:42:29

The guy doesn't necessarily need more RAM. Besides tweaking the buffer length, there are a few more things he/she can do to remove CPU issues; (ps, this has worked for me!)

-Download ASIO4All, especially if your graphics card supports it. I've got a PCI (crappy) and it supports ASIO, so i would definitely try.
-In FL, go to Options, Audio Options. In that menu, make sure these things are lit up:
1. Multithreaded Generator Processing
2. Multithreaded Mixer Processing
3. Smart Disable
4. Align Tick Lengths

Now, uncheck "Safe Overloads." The only thing that this option does is really increase the CPU to handle underruns. With all of these other settings getting turned on and off, you won't need it.

Still in the Audio Options section, look for "Mixer Options." Under this, make sure your Sample Rate (Hz) is set to 41000, and set the Interpolation to "Linear".

-Now, go under the MIDI options section, and look to see if something labeled "Enable" is lit up or checked. If it is, disable it; it causes FL to use CPU, even when it is idling.

-Lastly, go under Tools, and look for "Macros." Now, when the little bar pops out to the side, go down and click on "Switch smart disable for plugins". This causes Plugins to stop playing completely when there are no notes for it, which greatly reduces CPU.

If none of that helped, you DO need more RAM, or at least a better soundcard. :P

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-22 11:04:22

How do you make songs longer in FL studio 9? I just downloaded the program yesterday and the longest thing I could make was 1 second.. This was it:

http://fileshost.com/download.php?id=465 D02911

Help, how do I make them longer? When I try to extend the thing where you choose the beats, it doesn't.. help.

This is a signature.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-22 11:51:45

Software problem.

Fruity Loops stopped reading MP3 files. It worked perfectly fine a month ago but now it does not read them at all.

I don't know when it happened exactly or how it stopped working but it doesn't work anymore.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-22 12:24:36

At 11/22/09 11:51 AM, guilmonx wrote: Software problem.

Fruity Loops stopped reading MP3 files. It worked perfectly fine a month ago but now it does not read them at all.

I don't know when it happened exactly or how it stopped working but it doesn't work anymore.

I dont really want you to open the mp3 file in FL, but im just saying thats the longest my song goes and then it loops.. :( This is the flp file:

http://fileshost.com/download.php?id=886 6A1931

This is a signature.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-22 12:42:44

Hi,
I am wondering how to save my work as a loop?
Thanks.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-11-22 12:57:48

At 11/22/09 12:42 PM, Semperfi360 wrote: Hi,
I am wondering how to save my work as a loop?
Thanks.

You dont need to save as a loop, just save as mp3 file, then when you submit it to NG, make sure you select "Loop" and not "Song"

This is a signature.