New Topic Respond to this Topic
Kaizerwolf
Kaizerwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 7th, 2009 @ 11:24 AM Reply

You probably made the effect go onto the master track, thus affecting all samples and VSTs you've got on the file. Try assigning your synth to a separate mixer track.

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

How about you join the NGPD? Just what is the Newgrounds Police Dept.? Click the link and find out for yourself!

BBS Signature
Sirdangolot5
Sirdangolot5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 7th, 2009 @ 05:54 PM Reply

Question: how do I slap a low-pass filter onto a brass channel made in 3xOsc?

Also, how do I change the volume levels for all the Operators in Sytrus Generators?

Also, WTF is "velocity?"

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 7th, 2009 @ 05:57 PM Reply

At 9/7/09 05:54 PM, Sirdangolot5 wrote: Question: how do I slap a low-pass filter onto a brass channel made in 3xOsc?

Look in the 'INS' tab.

Also, WTF is "velocity?"

velocity refers to 'how hard' a note is played. With a real instrument, this typically translates to altered volume/tonality levels.

afuckingname
afuckingname
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 7th, 2009 @ 05:59 PM Reply

Would you mind elaborating? Differentiate VST's from what?

a vsti, like one icon for each, I can only dream

dope is for dopes
Atheists need to be saved

BBS Signature
Sirdangolot5
Sirdangolot5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 7th, 2009 @ 06:02 PM Reply

Cool stuff.

Er, what about the sytrus generators? And what's all this stuff

BBS Signature
unowned
unowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 8th, 2009 @ 12:38 PM Reply

Newgrounds user Blackhole12 posted a tutorial on sytrus which is very in depth if you take the time to read it.

Part 1

I found it browsing through the image-line forums strangely enough. The other parts can be found browsing his gallery.

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

Grandvision
Grandvision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 8th, 2009 @ 04:32 PM Reply

I have got Edirol Orchestral HQ and everything was fine. The volume and the sounds.

Now, after a while I noticed that the sound is considerably lower in the piano roll and I need to crank up the volume really high to hear which is not a good thing for my songs. Even when it is exported into mp3.

I don't know what to do really, volume master automation to full doesn't really help. It was fine before, what have I done?

But it sounds alright in the FLChannel Settings PLUGIN. When I press a key it plays on a normal level on that keyboard in the "Channel Settings" so why not in the piano roll. Is there some kind of setting of volume that went wrong.?

Grandvision
Grandvision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 11th, 2009 @ 04:59 PM Reply

No one knows?

Are you joking me?

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 11th, 2009 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 9/8/09 04:32 PM, newgeneral wrote: Stuff

Turn up the velocity levels in the piano roll?

blackduckie
blackduckie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 11th, 2009 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Either that or the Filter Cutoff levels or something. Double-click on a note and click "Reset Levels". If that doesn't fix it, I don't know what will.

BlkAce
BlkAce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 06:07 PM Reply

Quick question, how do I add silence effect? I recorded my vocal and I can hear background noise at the beginning, I want to silence the beginning.

How to do that?

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 06:07 PM, BlkAce wrote: Quick question, how do I add silence effect? I recorded my vocal and I can hear background noise at the beginning, I want to silence the beginning.

How to do that?

Can't you just delete it then re-sync it?

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 06:07 PM, BlkAce wrote: Quick question, how do I add silence effect? I recorded my vocal and I can hear background noise at the beginning, I want to silence the beginning.

You could just create an automation clip for the vocal track's volume, if you really don't want to edit the sample.

dj-Jo
dj-Jo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 06:45 PM Reply

Do ya guys know how to side chain in FL Studios?
I'm trying to utilize this style in one of my remixes.
Can someone help me?

I suck at grammer ^ can't you tell?
Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

Argyros
Argyros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 06:10 PM, loansindi wrote:
You could just create an automation clip for the vocal track's volume, if you really don't want to edit the sample.

Are you kidding me? That's WAY too complex for what he's asking.
You use the "slice" tool in the playlist, and cut right where the recording starts. Then switch back to the "draw" tool and right click on the silent part to delete that section only.

It doesn't change the original sample either.

Argyros
Argyros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 06:45 PM, dj-Jo wrote: Do ya guys know how to side chain in FL Studios?
Can someone help me?

I'm gonna use a kick and a pad as an example, just so it's easier to understand:

1) On the kick, assign a free mixer track.
2) Add a "Peak Controller" to this mixer track. Unmute this (usually) by clicking in the bottom right where the glowing orange box says "Mute".
3) On the pad, assign a free mixer track.
4) Add a "Stereo Enhancer" to this mixer track.
5) On the Stereo Enhancer, there is a "Volume" knob (on the actual plugin itself), right click this and go "link to controller".
6) Under "Internal Controller", select "Peak Ctrl (Kick) - Peak + LFO" (It might not say that exactly, but it'll be close. Make sure you choose the one that has Peak AND LFO.
7) Under "Mapping Formula", click "Inverted", then press Accept to close that window.

Shazaaam.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 07:18 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 07:07 PM, Argyros wrote: Are you kidding me? That's WAY too complex for what he's asking.
You use the "slice" tool in the playlist, and cut right where the recording starts. Then switch back to the "draw" tool and right click on the silent part to delete that section only.

Frankly I'd suggest he just clean up his vocals before they ever hit FL

Argyros
Argyros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 07:59 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 07:18 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 9/12/09 07:07 PM, Argyros wrote: Are you kidding me? That's WAY too complex for what he's asking.

Frankly I'd suggest he just clean up his vocals before they ever hit FL

Umm, what?
Frankly I'd suggest that you don't give advice on things you clearly don't know anything about.

InGenius
InGenius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 07:12 PM, Argyros wrote:
At 9/12/09 06:45 PM, dj-Jo wrote: Do ya guys know how to side chain in FL Studios?
Can someone help me?
I'm gonna use a kick and a pad as an example, just so it's easier to understand:

1) On the kick, assign a free mixer track.
2) Add a "Peak Controller" to this mixer track. Unmute this (usually) by clicking in the bottom right where the glowing orange box says "Mute".
3) On the pad, assign a free mixer track.
4) Add a "Stereo Enhancer" to this mixer track.
5) On the Stereo Enhancer, there is a "Volume" knob (on the actual plugin itself), right click this and go "link to controller".
6) Under "Internal Controller", select "Peak Ctrl (Kick) - Peak + LFO" (It might not say that exactly, but it'll be close. Make sure you choose the one that has Peak AND LFO.
7) Under "Mapping Formula", click "Inverted", then press Accept to close that window.

Shazaaam.

You can also link the Peak to the Threshold in a compressor, which is how a sidechain Compressor works. Likewise, using a multiband compressor and linking to the band you specifically need to duck out (ie. the low tones in a bass if using the common electronic "ducking" method) will accomplish a good effect with a more pinpointed result than simply lowering the volume. And if you use alot of FX already and don't want your CPU usage to raise, instead of using a Stereo Enhancer, simply link the Peak control to the volume slider of the channel the "pad" is on. FL 9 will make this entire conversation moot as they are finally supporting native sidechaining FX.

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 07:59 PM, Argyros wrote:
At 9/12/09 07:18 PM, loansindi wrote: Frankly I'd suggest he just clean up his vocals before they ever hit FL
Umm, what?
Frankly I'd suggest that you don't give advice on things you clearly don't know anything about.

I don't see how saying clean up your vocals is bad advice at all.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 08:30 PM Reply

BlkAce;
Keep your selection as in the image, hit delete. save your recoding, place it as an audio clip in the playlist and carefully position it right. Trial and error. If there are more of these silences in the rest of the clip thoug, you might want to go for the volume automation as loansindi suggested.
Automating volume isn't a complex thing at all. You just right click the volume knob (wether you choose the channel volume in the step sequencer, or the mixer channel volume), and select 'Create automation clip'.

Then you can adjust the clip in your playlist. Not hard.

also: Stop acting like loansindi's a bad guy, he's helpful and you know it, whoever it was.
Argyros
Argyros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 08:52 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 08:30 PM, MICHhimself wrote: BlkAce;
Keep your selection as in the image, hit delete. save your recoding, place it as an audio clip in the playlist and carefully position it right. Trial and error. If there are more of these silences in the rest of the clip thoug, you might want to go for the volume automation as loansindi suggested.
Automating volume isn't a complex thing at all. You just right click the volume knob (wether you choose the channel volume in the step sequencer, or the mixer channel volume), and select 'Create automation clip'.

Then you can adjust the clip in your playlist. Not hard.

also: Stop acting like loansindi's a bad guy, he's helpful and you know it, whoever it was.

Uhh, can I just ask why you'd go to all the trouble of fooling around with volume automations when you could just cut off the unwanted part?

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 09:45 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 08:52 PM, Argyros wrote: Uhh, can I just ask why you'd go to all the trouble of fooling around with volume automations when you could just cut off the unwanted part?

If there are more of the silent parts in his full recording, that would be less of a hassle than chopping everything up and sequencing it.

Arbiter
Arbiter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 09:56 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 08:52 PM, Argyros wrote: Uhh, can I just ask why you'd go to all the trouble of fooling around with volume automations when you could just cut off the unwanted part?

Well, due to the fact that with automations you could create a smoother transition - and make it less unnatural.
It's really just as easy as that.

Argyros
Argyros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 12th, 2009 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 9/12/09 09:56 PM, Arbiter wrote: Well, due to the fact that with automations you could create a smoother transition - and make it less unnatural.
It's really just as easy as that.

That makes a lot of sense actually, thanks! :)

InGenius
InGenius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 13th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM Reply

I would also suggest using the Edison Noise Gate to do the same thing without affecting the positioning of the track or needing to resequence, but I have always been a bit unhappy with the gating of Edison's system, it usually cuts off a bit early for my tastes, and setting up an actual Noise Gate effect on the vocal channel is about as time consuming as cutting and resequencing.

Thomas
Thomas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 13th, 2009 @ 02:41 AM Reply

Is it possible to link Midi Out to a FX channel in the mixer? If so, how? Are there any workarounds if it's not possible?

wat
a compessor wil raise the volume while lowering the db - chronamut

nal1200
nal1200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 13th, 2009 @ 04:20 AM Reply

At 9/13/09 02:41 AM, Thomas wrote: Is it possible to link Midi Out to a FX channel in the mixer? If so, how? Are there any workarounds if it's not possible?

You go to the FX channel and click the "IN" tab near the top right corner. Then choose the MIDI input.

That's how you do it for a microphone, atleast. So I would imagine a MIDI keyboard would work the same way.
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Sep. 13th, 2009 @ 07:41 AM Reply

At 9/13/09 02:41 AM, Thomas wrote: Is it possible to link Midi Out to a FX channel in the mixer? If so, how? Are there any workarounds if it's not possible?

Midi consist purely of note and velocity data, not actual audio. FX channels need audio to process.
Your midi out should go to either a hardware synthesizer or a different software program that can handle said midi. Then you should route the audio back into FL studio (either with rewire for software) or with an audio input on your sound card, and then you can use that 'in' thing someone mentioned.