• 6,514 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
HarraH
HarraH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 29th, 2009 @ 02:55 AM Reply

Quick noob question.

I have a piano roll like this and the bars aren't touching the lines properly, is there an easy way to automatically make the bars stuck to the lines?

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 29th, 2009 @ 02:59 AM Reply

See the button right next to the words piano roll? That's a snap-to-grid button.

Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 29th, 2009 @ 03:03 AM Reply

At 4/29/09 02:55 AM, HarraH wrote: Quick noob question.

I have a piano roll like this and the bars aren't touching the lines properly, is there an easy way to automatically make the bars stuck to the lines?

You are looking to Quantanize (look at pic, the menu is accessed by clicking the little piano symbol on the top left corner of the window)

You can choose different grooves/bars to quantanize your notes to.

Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 29th, 2009 @ 03:04 AM Reply

Sorry forgot to add the pic----

Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 29th, 2009 @ 03:07 AM Reply

At 4/29/09 02:59 AM, loansindi wrote: See the button right next to the words piano roll? That's a snap-to-grid button.

That'll work if you're programming notes via mouse, etc...

Quantanize can help keep everything solid after a live recording (especially if you have latency issues)

Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 29th, 2009 @ 03:14 AM Reply

Oh my god it's "quantize" not "quantanize".... why did I always think it was said like that?

HarraH
HarraH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 29th, 2009 @ 03:39 AM Reply

Thanks Gorgorthx for the help :)

Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 29th, 2009 @ 03:43 AM Reply

At 4/29/09 03:39 AM, HarraH wrote: Thanks Gorgorthx for the help :)

No problem dude, that's what we're here for.

EmperorCharlemagne
EmperorCharlemagne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 1st, 2009 @ 02:50 AM Reply

I am wondering, what is the why to implement dynamics in Fruitly Loops? I've been using it for about a month-and-a-half, and I still haven't gotten the hang of it.

Like make things softer and louder throughout the course of a piece.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.
~Morton Feldman
Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature
entra1k
entra1k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 1st, 2009 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 5/1/09 02:50 AM, EmperorCharlemagne wrote: I am wondering, what is the why to implement dynamics in Fruitly Loops? I've been using it for about a month-and-a-half, and I still haven't gotten the hang of it.

I use Maximus on certain instruments to bring up loudness or just give it that dynamic feel.

gasguy
gasguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 1st, 2009 @ 05:18 PM Reply

i always question myself: how tha hell do i sidechain? :P

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 1st, 2009 @ 06:11 PM Reply

well, sidechaining on your kick... as follows.

Go to your mixer channel where you kick is assigned to.
Add a fruity peak controller, uncheck the 'mute' thingy.

Then go to the mixer channel you want to sidechain, add a fruity balance.
Right click the volume knob, click 'link to controller'
Then, at internal controller, select 'peak ctrl ([kick channel name]) - peak'
and then for mapping formula, enter '1-Input'
Click accept.

Modify the peak setting on the peak controller to get it sounding like you want.

Also, cornandbeans made a sidechaining tutorial ages ago. It's here.

Fancy mspaint pic as a reference. God I love making these.

gasguy
gasguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:02 AM Reply

At 5/1/09 06:11 PM, MICHhimself wrote: well, sidechaining on your kick... as follows.

*explanation*

i use this for the vocals contest wich stops on the fifth of may (as i think) and i needed that :P

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 08:57 AM Reply

At 5/2/09 06:02 AM, gasguy wrote:
At 5/1/09 06:11 PM, MICHhimself wrote: well, sidechaining on your kick... as follows.

*explanation*
i use this for the vocals contest wich stops on the fifth of may (as i think) and i needed that :P

Hehe, I heard your entry when looking for stolen songs :p
Glad I helped you out :)

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 10:06 AM Reply

At 5/1/09 02:50 AM, EmperorCharlemagne wrote: I am wondering, what is the why to implement dynamics in Fruitly Loops? I've been using it for about a month-and-a-half, and I still haven't gotten the hang of it.

right click a volume knob for the instrument you want to fade and go on 'create automation clip'. an automation clip will come up in the playlist, you will be able to set the volume knob to go up and down using this. automation clips can be used on pretty much any knob or slider integrated within FL studio and even external VST(i)s.

CelestOrion
CelestOrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:32 PM Reply

Quick Question. I'm revamping a MIDI that slows down at set points in the song, and then resumes it's regular tempo of 190 after the fact. How would I go about slowing down the tempo in FL Studio, then have it pick up the pace afterwards?

BBS Signature
Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 5/2/09 03:32 PM, CelestOrion wrote: Quick Question. I'm revamping a MIDI that slows down at set points in the song, and then resumes it's regular tempo of 190 after the fact. How would I go about slowing down the tempo in FL Studio, then have it pick up the pace afterwards?

I won't go into specifics (because you sound like you could figure it out further)... right click on the tempo display, create an automation clip, and wallah!

CelestOrion
CelestOrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 5/2/09 03:41 PM, Gorgorothx wrote:
At 5/2/09 03:32 PM, CelestOrion wrote: Quick Question. I'm revamping a MIDI that slows down at set points in the song, and then resumes it's regular tempo of 190 after the fact. How would I go about slowing down the tempo in FL Studio, then have it pick up the pace afterwards?
I won't go into specifics (because you sound like you could figure it out further)... right click on the tempo display, create an automation clip, and wallah!

I'm in the automation clip, but how would I set the new tempo, or the slow-down, as I would like to call it? I've only been using FL Studio for about two months, so I'm still rusty on certain aspects of the program...

BBS Signature
Vectris
Vectris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:59 PM Reply

Hey, brand new here and just got FL today. Watched some basic YouTube tuts and have experimented on my own some. Anyways, got two hopefully simple questions.

1) When you switch to Piano Roll mode to edit Pitch and Note Held Length, how do you change that channel back to just being the buttons that you can click to highlight? I uncheck Piano Roll and the Piano Window goes away but now the channel is green lines representing pitch and length, I just want the buttons back!

2) How do you make the last note of a pattern fade out, and can you do this for only one channel or do you have to make the whole pattern fade out??

Vectris
Vectris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 04:03 PM Reply

Apparently theres no edit button, and I had another one

3) How do you add more "measures" or length onto a pattern? I want a much longer melody than the 16 buttons you are given.

Paperman12
Paperman12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 5/2/09 04:03 PM, Vectris wrote: Apparently theres no edit button, and I had another one

3) How do you add more "measures" or length onto a pattern? I want a much longer melody than the 16 buttons you are given.

16 buttons????

Paperman12
Paperman12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 04:09 PM Reply

At 5/2/09 04:08 PM, Paperman12 wrote:
At 5/2/09 04:03 PM, Vectris wrote: Apparently theres no edit button, and I had another one

16 buttons????

You should be able to make the melody as long as you want.

Vectris
Vectris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 04:21 PM Reply

I didn't ask IF I could make it longer, I asked HOW. I think I solved it by changing the Beats Per Bar number. By making it higher, more buttons are added and I can add more onto the melody. Still need 1 and 2 answered though.

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 5/2/09 03:59 PM, Vectris wrote: Hey, brand new here and just got FL today. Watched some basic YouTube tuts and have experimented on my own some. Anyways, got two hopefully simple questions.

1) When you switch to Piano Roll mode to edit Pitch and Note Held Length, how do you change that channel back to just being the buttons that you can click to highlight? I uncheck Piano Roll and the Piano Window goes away but now the channel is green lines representing pitch and length, I just want the buttons back!

The step sequencer buttons will only show if there is no piano roll data to display, so delete any notes you've layed down in the piano roll and it should revert back to the normal view.

2) How do you make the last note of a pattern fade out, and can you do this for only one channel or do you have to make the whole pattern fade out??

You can automate any knob or slider in FL by using automation clips, these show up in the playlist which I'm guessing you haven't found yet, looking at question 3. Right click any knob or slider and click 'add automation clip' You'll be able to adjust the value of the slider or knob over time in the playlist. This can be the volume of one instrument as you say and many other things.

In the top right of the step sequencer there is a box to change the amount of bars in the pattern, as a default it shows '--' but you can scroll it up to 64 bars in one pattern. However this isn't really necessary if you learn how to use the playlist for creating, stringing together and layer multiple different patterns. Press F5 or click the playlist button in the toolbar to bring it up.

Vectris
Vectris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:13 AM Reply

I got the first one, but I still can't get Automation Clips to work.

I do know what the playlist is and I have already used it in this song I'm working on (well 30 seconds of basic stuff, first project ever). And so I am know how to use the same pattern over again with other ones etc.

Anyways, I actually couldn't find any way of getting volume knobs or any options for a pattern using the Playlist Window. I was able to right click the volume control knob for a channel and click create automation Clip. This opened the channel in some kind of new window and in it I can't find anything about how to start it recording the changes I make while it plays.

Is there instead a way to select a single note in a channel and cause it to fade?

Vectris
Vectris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:36 AM Reply

Ok I figured out how to save the Automation (Record) and I can even see the volume dial go down automatically each time I play through the pattern. However, when I play through that pattern in my song, the automation is not heard, instead it's the same as before. But as soon as I switch to play only the pattern I do hear it. Why is not updating the pattern in the playlist? I've tried replacing and moving it elsewhere in the song but nothing works.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:02 PM Reply

At 5/3/09 01:36 AM, Vectris wrote: Ok I figured out how to save the Automation (Record) and I can even see the volume dial go down automatically each time I play through the pattern. However, when I play through that pattern in my song, the automation is not heard, instead it's the same as before. But as soon as I switch to play only the pattern I do hear it. Why is not updating the pattern in the playlist? I've tried replacing and moving it elsewhere in the song but nothing works.

I don't think recording the automation is a good idea, I'll explain how you can edit the actual automation, but let's get rid of what you recorded first. I hope that you haven't touched any other knobs while recording the volume change...make sure you're in the right patter, right click the volume knob, click edit events.
In that window, hit ctrl+A, then hit Delete (to get rid of the recorded changes) (left part of image)

So, you HAVE clicked on create automation clip. This shows up as a channel under 'automation clips'. Don't touch it there. Open up your playlist, there should be a clips section (right part of image)
You can click and drag the right side of the automation clip to make it longer. Add new points by right clicking in the area I marked (might blue). By left clicking and dragging you can change the place of existing points. Right clicking a dot gives you some more options for the line arriving in that point, besides enabling you to delete.
You can click and drag in the middle of a line to change the tension.

Right clicking the top bar (marked in green) of the clip will delete it.

Oh, and if you can't find the clips section of your playlist, try dragging down the top bar of your playlist, or the bottom one up, depends how your playlist is set.

Vectris
Vectris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 4th, 2009 @ 12:06 AM Reply

Ok I get it now.

It is mostly easier to use the Automation Tool that you showed in the right however before I read your post I figured out how to use the one shown in the left picture and the advantage to it is that you do not have to do the automation for every instance of that pattern. Using the Left Picture method, the volume change will be present for every pattern. Using the Right Picture method the volume change will only be on patterns that you create the points for. Is there a way to copy a group of points that you have above a pattern and then paste them over the same pattern in a different part of the song and still keep the exact same timing/amount for the volume change? Because the Right Method is nice an easy to make smooth volume changes with however having to re-create that volume change every pattern would suck.

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 4th, 2009 @ 06:11 AM Reply

At 5/4/09 12:06 AM, Vectris wrote: Because the Right Method is nice an easy to make smooth volume changes with however having to re-create that volume change every pattern would suck.

Clicking on the automation clip and then into an empty space in the clip area will clone that automation clip you last clicked.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here May. 4th, 2009 @ 12:49 PM Reply

At 4/8/05 09:01 PM, repenter wrote: Can I copy other peoples music but it isn't them playing its like me just on the guitar and that's it

According to US law, you can do covers of tunes, and even sell them WITHOUT permission, but you have to pay the royalties weekly.

In other words, yes, but it gets complicated.