Steven-Polley
Steven-Polley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-23 20:51:44 Reply

At 2/23/09 08:36 PM, blackattackbitch wrote:
At 2/23/09 06:26 PM, GronmonSE wrote: I think you've got attack and release wrong. Isn't attack how fast the volume goes up and release how fast it goes down.

The higher the attack, the faster (in milliseconds) you hear the sound. The faster the release, the faster it fades away. If your release is slow, the sound takes more time to fade away.
He's talking about the effect that a compressor would have on the volume of a sample.

Yes yes! It's true. A compressor's attack designates how long it takes for the compressor to kick in. Once the amplitude of the wave is above the threshold, it will compress the amplitude to the given ratio, which is usually a direct relationship between in:out. But I have come across options for squared relationships as well.

And the release designates how long it takes the compressor to release after the given threshold has been passed.

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com
We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!
Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-23 23:27:35 Reply

Thanks a load.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

frederiklettens
frederiklettens
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-26 06:01:23 Reply

hi i'm new to the forum and new with fruity loops,
i have the fruity loops 7 version and i'm managing well, but I've got a question.
When I make a sound and I tell it to continue 1 bar long then how do i stop it when it continous when it shouldnt? for example i'm trying to make dubstep/dnb and i made a intro ( dnb beats with snare etc but also with a melody) but this melody( not the drums) keeps continouing so when i paste something after it you still here the melody
hope you can help me and understand me

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-26 11:19:46 Reply

At 2/26/09 06:01 AM, frederiklettens wrote: hi i'm new to the forum and new with fruity loops,
i have the fruity loops 7 version and i'm managing well, but I've got a question.
When I make a sound and I tell it to continue 1 bar long then how do i stop it when it continous when it shouldnt? for example i'm trying to make dubstep/dnb and i made a intro ( dnb beats with snare etc but also with a melody) but this melody( not the drums) keeps continouing so when i paste something after it you still here the melody

I don't know if I understood right but, right click the melody instrument and use the piano roll instead of the step sequencer. You can alter the lengths of notes in the piano roll as opposed to the step sequencer.

Tzunami
Tzunami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-26 13:19:50 Reply

At 2/26/09 11:19 AM, xKore wrote:
At 2/26/09 06:01 AM, frederiklettens wrote: hi i'm new to the forum and new with fruity loops,
I don't know if I understood right but, right click the melody instrument and use the piano roll instead of the step sequencer. You can alter the lengths of notes in the piano roll as opposed to the step sequencer.

You've got it right from what I think he's saying. Just take into account when using the piano roll, the step sequencer won't loop unless you tell it to with the small toggle button near the top right corner. That's when you would want to move on to the playlist and arrange through there.

BBS Signature
Assios
Assios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-27 17:28:45 Reply

How do I copy a VST from one FL Studio file to another?

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-27 19:18:58 Reply

At 2/27/09 05:28 PM, GlowingMonkey wrote: How do I copy a VST from one FL Studio file to another?

Save the preset of the VST in the original file, open up the other project file and add a new instance of the same VST, then just load up the preset you saved. That's the only why that's possible I think...

Assios
Assios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-27 19:36:32 Reply

At 2/27/09 07:18 PM, xKore wrote:
At 2/27/09 05:28 PM, GlowingMonkey wrote: How do I copy a VST from one FL Studio file to another?
Save the preset of the VST in the original file, open up the other project file and add a new instance of the same VST, then just load up the preset you saved. That's the only why that's possible I think...

I can't find the same VST in the new file:P I don't want to copy the melody, just the VST, so that I get the same VST in the new file. Thanks, awnyways ;)

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-28 11:16:35 Reply

At 2/27/09 07:36 PM, GlowingMonkey wrote:
At 2/27/09 07:18 PM, xKore wrote:
I can't find the same VST in the new file:P I don't want to copy the melody, just the VST, so that I get the same VST in the new file. Thanks, awnyways ;)

Go to Channels > Add One > More..., it should be on that list if it's used on another project. And when I say save the preset I mean so that you can recall the same state of the VST, so it creates the same sound, not the melody.

DJAnon
DJAnon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-28 18:43:22 Reply

Hi. I exported my newest song now, but the quality becomes extremely crappy at some parts, and I don't know why! Has someone else had the same problem?

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-28 19:39:52 Reply

How do you change the tine signature in fruity loops? I know you can do it temporarily in the step sequencer. But when I save and reload, everything is back in 4/4. I want to write a song that starts in 6/8, goes to 4/4, and ends in 6/8.

Thanks.

BBS Signature
Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-28 19:43:50 Reply

At 2/28/09 06:43 PM, DJAnon wrote: Hi. I exported my newest song now, but the quality becomes extremely crappy at some parts, and I don't know why! Has someone else had the same problem?

1. Up your bitrate when exporting.

2. Export to a better type of file. Instead of an mp3, export as a wav.

3. Make sure your song is not peaking out anywhere. If it is, it will cause clipping. Thus leading to a lot of gross little nasties in your song's sound.

BBS Signature
blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-28 22:31:10 Reply

At 2/28/09 07:39 PM, Gravey1 wrote: How do you change the tine signature in fruity loops? I know you can do it temporarily in the step sequencer. But when I save and reload, everything is back in 4/4. I want to write a song that starts in 6/8, goes to 4/4, and ends in 6/8.

Thanks.

Personally, I just edit the playlist function so that it doesn't arrange the patterns by bar, but rather by beat or even step when I'm feeling extra crazy.
There's a control that changes the time signature in the options menu under the tab "project". I actually stumbled on it recently, but it's not really useful if you're composing in multiple time sigs. There's no way to automate it/edit the events on it, so it won't change in the middle of the song. That's why I use my first method all the time.

S3C
S3C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-01 03:28:28 Reply

how do you record *internal* automation through FL? i'm too lazy to actively RTFM manual this time, thanks. i'm assuming this is possible.

If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)

SeventhSolar
SeventhSolar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-01 11:50:16 Reply

Ok, so I'm trying to learn something about Mastering, I guess. I'm trying to make it so that the end of a song slowly tapers off, but I can't really figure out how to do it. Anyone have any ideas?

Steven-Polley
Steven-Polley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-01 13:06:01 Reply

At 3/1/09 03:28 AM, S3C wrote: how do you record *internal* automation through FL? i'm too lazy to actively RTFM manual this time, thanks. i'm assuming this is possible.

Hit record... Hit play, move all your knobs, sliders, buttons etc. Hit stop.

Ta-da!

you owe me >:(
At 3/1/09 11:50 AM, SeventhSolar wrote: Ok, so I'm trying to learn something about Mastering, I guess. I'm trying to make it so that the end of a song slowly tapers off, but I can't really figure out how to do it. Anyone have any ideas?

That is not mastering at all. Just make an automation clip fading out the volume.

Right click on the master volume slider, and click "Create Automation Clip" In the playlist, you'll see a graph-like clip has been added. The y value of this graph represents the position of the slider, and the x value is obviously time.

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com
We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!
Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
Dragonblue80
Dragonblue80
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-01 14:44:26 Reply

OK, I have a big problem here.
Do I NEED the full version of FL Studio to save loops/songs?
Whenever I "Render" or "Export" it only comes up like 4-8 seconds and when I try to play it it won't play

At 3/6/09 02:53 PM, JuniorxXxX wrote:
: Im so scared of that big white thing that I almost Peed my spider man under buddies

BBS Signature
x-Exodus-X
x-Exodus-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-01 14:47:23 Reply

At 3/1/09 02:44 PM, Dragonblue80 wrote: OK, I have a big problem here.
Do I NEED the full version of FL Studio to save loops/songs?
Whenever I "Render" or "Export" it only comes up like 4-8 seconds and when I try to play it it won't play

1. Yes, you do. All you can do is export on the demo to "save" your work, you can't go back and re-edit the FL studio file.

2. Hmmm.....unless you are exporting to some weird file format (stick with mp3), then it might be that you have 'PAT' selected (up near the play button) when you need to have 'SONG' selected in order to export the entire song.

x-Exodus-X
x-Exodus-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-01 14:49:57 Reply

At 3/1/09 11:50 AM, SeventhSolar wrote: Ok, so I'm trying to learn something about Mastering, I guess. I'm trying to make it so that the end of a song slowly tapers off, but I can't really figure out how to do it. Anyone have any ideas?

If by taper off you mean gradually fade out, then I can help you with that.

You need to make use of Automation Clips...a nice feature of FL where you can right click almost any knob built into FL and 'automate it.'

For what you are trying to do, right click on the volume fader up near the menu bar. Right click it, and then click 'Create Automation Clip.' Play around with that to sync it to the song and get it to do what you want.

Dragonblue80
Dragonblue80
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-01 14:53:22 Reply

Does that mean I can still make Audio I just can't edit it?

: Im so scared of that big white thing that I almost Peed my spider man under buddies

BBS Signature
S3C
S3C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-02 01:43:39 Reply

At 3/1/09 01:06 PM, Steven-Polley wrote:
At 3/1/09 03:28 AM, S3C wrote: how do you record *internal* automation through FL? i'm too lazy to actively RTFM manual this time, thanks. i'm assuming this is possible.
Hit record... Hit play, move all your knobs, sliders, buttons etc. Hit stop.

Ta-da!

crap man, i had no idea it was that easy. Well thanks Steven!

If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)

Dragonblue80
Dragonblue80
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-02 15:13:46 Reply

How do I make it so my playlist will continue as the song plays?
Example:

Playlist:
Pattern 1: Kick 5 times
Switch to Pattern 2: Hit 1 time
Switch to Pattern 3: Snare 10 times

Of course that wouldn't be a song that's a example.

BBS Signature
zaporzan
zaporzan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-02 19:09:56 Reply

At 3/2/09 03:13 PM, Dragonblue80 wrote: How do I make it so my playlist will continue as the song plays?
Example:

Playlist:
Pattern 1: Kick 5 times
Switch to Pattern 2: Hit 1 time
Switch to Pattern 3: Snare 10 times

Of course that wouldn't be a song that's a example.

After you've created the patterns you hit the View Playlist button (F5) then you sequence the patterns in your playlist! like this!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

babyma
babyma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-03 17:18:21 Reply

Hi, I'm new to FL and some things have been pissing me off about it. I know there are probably solutions but I haven't been able to find them, so any help would be quite peachy (because peach is a fruit so it would go well with Fruity Loops).

1) When I try to undo a resizing of a music clip, it doesn't work. It says it's undone, but it stays the same size.

2) It's a fucking pain in the ass to scroll through the instruments on the little index thing when you have about 50 of them, especially when it's not alphabetized by default and I can't seem to directly get to one through a search. There must be some way around this?

3) When an mp3 player like iTunes or something is open and I open FL, no sound comes from either iTunes or FL, and after shutting down iTunes, there's still no sound from FL, so I have to start over and reload FL.

4) Midi files I import don't have sound. Period.

5) The History folder closes every time I go back to doing something else, and when I go back to some point in the History, it scrolls back to the top for some reason, meaning that if it goes to a point I didn't want it to (and it often goes to a point I did not click on), I have to drag all the way back down and find it.

6) In addition to resizing of music clips, certain other things are not saved in History. I can't think of them off the top of my head right now but I'm sure there were some and I'm sure some of you have encountered them.

There were some other issues and if I remember them I'll post them up. Again, any help with the above would be great.

zirconmusic
zirconmusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-03 18:12:47 Reply

At 3/3/09 05:18 PM, babyma wrote: Hi, I'm new to FL and some things have been pissing me off about it. I know there are probably solutions but I haven't been able to find them, so any help would be quite peachy (because peach is a fruit so it would go well with Fruity Loops).

1) When I try to undo a resizing of a music clip, it doesn't work. It says it's undone, but it stays the same size.

You can't undo clip resizing, but it's really easy to manually undo. If you stretched or compressed it (timewise) go to the channel settings window and right click->reset the three knobs on the main plugin page for the clip.

2) It's a fucking pain in the ass to scroll through the instruments on the little index thing when you have about 50 of them, especially when it's not alphabetized by default and I can't seem to directly get to one through a search. There must be some way around this?

You can make channel groups or rename your channels. It's not that hard to just quickly look over the titles and see what you want. For example, name your kick "KICK" and your snare "SNARE". If you have a few, call them "HEAVY KICK", "HIGH SNARE". Easy to read.

3) When an mp3 player like iTunes or something is open and I open FL, no sound comes from either iTunes or FL, and after shutting down iTunes, there's still no sound from FL, so I have to start over and reload FL.

That sounds like a problem with your soundcard. Definitely not an FL issue at all, I've been using FL for about 6 years and that has never happened on any of the 5 or 6 computers I've used it on. Make sure you're using ASIO drivers within FL.

4) Midi files I import don't have sound. Period.

MIDI is just notation data. FL needs to know how to play them back. The easiest way is to make sure each MIDI Out channel is set to the same port (say, port 1) then go to your master FX and add the "Fruity LSD" plugin. Set that plugin to port 0 (in the upper right of the LSd wrapper, change the --- to 0) and the MIDI Outs will send to it. Fruity LSD can use your basic Microsoft General MIDI wavetable.

5) The History folder closes every time I go back to doing something else, and when I go back to some point in the History, it scrolls back to the top for some reason, meaning that if it goes to a point I didn't want it to (and it often goes to a point I did not click on), I have to drag all the way back down and find it.

Can't help you here - I don't use history much.

6) In addition to resizing of music clips, certain other things are not saved in History. I can't think of them off the top of my head right now but I'm sure there were some and I'm sure some of you have encountered them.

FL's Undo doesn't cover everything. Just be smart and be aware of what you're doing so you can manually reset anything.

Sacrafan
Sacrafan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-04 20:32:50 Reply

I am trying to up the tempo of my song to 160 but then after i press play it goes back to 14 and i have no tempo automation clip up.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-04 20:42:47 Reply

just make an automation at 160 and place it at the start of the song. you probably hit the record button without realizing it while it was still 140

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Sacrafan
Sacrafan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-04 20:45:29 Reply

At 3/4/09 08:42 PM, Envy wrote: just make an automation at 160 and place it at the start of the song. you probably hit the record button without realizing it while it was still 140

OH THANK YOU ENVY!

CAGB7
CAGB7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-06 01:02:24 Reply

At 4/9/05 05:17 PM, Denvish wrote:
At 4/9/05 04:03 PM, Acid-Rain wrote: When I try to extend the thingy where you place the beats..... it extend to a limited number.. it lasts like ten second, how do you make 3 minute songs?
1) Click the Playlist button (or press F5)
2) Add loops on the appropriate layer by left-clicking

completely unrelated...how do you get screenshots like that? wanna teach me?

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-03-06 02:58:34 Reply

At 3/6/09 01:02 AM, CAGB7 wrote: completely unrelated...how do you get screenshots like that? wanna teach me?

Press the Print screen button the right of F12 on your keyboard, paste into MS Paint and then crop it down.