New Topic Respond to this Topic
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-15 21:29:28 Reply

At 2/15/09 09:26 PM, DJSnowblind wrote: What's the best VST for making synth leads?

There is no BEST VST. Everyone needs to stop asking for "the best vst to do this" "The best program to make music"

If you really want the best, be ready to drop thousands of dollars.

Read up on some tutorials for how to make leads in 3x Osc, or even sytrus. You can make quality leads in there if you know how.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Fuiste
Fuiste
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-15 21:59:03 Reply

At 2/15/09 09:30 AM, EricTheMan wrote: Can anybody tell me how to get it so when I create automation clips they're not LONG AS HELL?

Whenever you create an automation clip, it is as long as the song it is in, as it will control that parameter for the duration of the song.

BUT,

If you want to make a shorter automation clip you can simply drag it to be smaller and then copy it over and over again should you need to use it more than once.

That probably wasn't much help, but it's all I got.

Gentlemen
Gentlemen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-15 22:38:08 Reply

At 2/15/09 09:29 PM, Envy wrote: There is no BEST VST.

aww :(

WAIT!!! I thought it didn't exist!?!?!

If you need mixing advice, don't be afraid to ask! I find that the majority of the Newgrounds Audio Portal has yet to learn about what the term mixing really is...

BBS Signature
EricTheMan
EricTheMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-15 22:42:25 Reply

Lol I know how to shorten it haha it's just a bitch sometimes because you have to zoom out and drag it and blah blah. But thanks anyway :)

"Girl your love is like a "nuclear weapon.
EricTheMan AkA:

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-15 23:19:12 Reply

At 2/15/09 10:38 PM, Gentlemen wrote:
At 2/15/09 09:29 PM, Envy wrote: There is no BEST VST.
aww :(

WAIT!!! I thought it didn't exist!?!?!

IT doesn't. I'm talking about the highest quality stuff you can get. Won't necessarily create better sounding stuff, but it will make it seem better. It's like no name brand cereal vs brand cereal. The brand seems better because its... a brand cereal.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Gentlemen
Gentlemen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-15 23:38:57 Reply

At 2/15/09 11:19 PM, Envy wrote: It's like no name brand cereal vs brand cereal. The brand seems better because its... a brand cereal.

I eat toast for breakfast :/

If you need mixing advice, don't be afraid to ask! I find that the majority of the Newgrounds Audio Portal has yet to learn about what the term mixing really is...

BBS Signature
blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-15 23:39:10 Reply

At 2/15/09 09:30 AM, EricTheMan wrote: Can anybody tell me how to get it so when I create automation clips they're not LONG AS HELL?

In the step sequencer, right click, move down to "add", then highlight automation clip. It will spawn an automation clip the size of a bar. Then just change the name to improve workflow and link any parameters to it through the menu option "link to controller" as opposed to "create automation clip". The automation clip shows up in the list of possible controllers.

AtomicTerrorist
AtomicTerrorist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-16 09:35:30 Reply

At 2/15/09 08:24 PM, SolusLunes wrote:
At 2/15/09 08:22 PM, AtomicTerrorist wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49LVGrbjP wA

go to 1:00. for the next 20 seconds the beat will play (not the drum background)

What instrument/channel/pack do I use to make that sound?

I have tried everything. any ideas?
Which sound are you talking about? The lead, the bass, the pad, or the kick?

im talking about the lead. (not the pad, bass, or drumkit)

sorry for not clarifying .

Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-16 10:54:55 Reply

Hi guys

I didn't want to read the whole thread to find answer to my questions so i'm asking away.

I've been a Reason user since day one (of Reason of course). Now I'm listenning to a lot of what people are doing around and see that most of you guys are using FLStudio. I've never touched that software and don't have a clue about how it works and what it can do or how easy it can be to get what you want out of it.

I was wondering if it worked with VST instruments, samples, samplers.... etc. And for a Reason user would I be able to rewire both together? In the end... what do I need to make it worth it?

What I like about Reason is the fact that I'm able to edit note by note the things I'm recording. It's not live recording of tracks that I can't modify... would it be the same with FLStudio?

I make music that can reach from classical to more electronic stuff so by all your experiences... would it be good for me?

Thx for your answers

BBS Signature
blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-16 11:21:08 Reply

At 2/16/09 10:54 AM, Nekoprism wrote: Hi guys

I didn't want to read the whole thread to find answer to my questions so i'm asking away.

I've been a Reason user since day one (of Reason of course). Now I'm listenning to a lot of what people are doing around and see that most of you guys are using FLStudio. I've never touched that software and don't have a clue about how it works and what it can do or how easy it can be to get what you want out of it.

I was wondering if it worked with VST instruments, samples, samplers.... etc. And for a Reason user would I be able to rewire both together? In the end... what do I need to make it worth it?

What I like about Reason is the fact that I'm able to edit note by note the things I'm recording. It's not live recording of tracks that I can't modify... would it be the same with FLStudio?

I make music that can reach from classical to more electronic stuff so by all your experiences... would it be good for me?

Thx for your answers

Fl Studio and Reason are both DAWs, so they do very similar things. Yes, FL studio can host VSTs and actually has its own sampler (simple sampler channel and Directwave, a supercharged sampler, but it's not free). Yes, it can be rewired with Reason also. You may enjoy the synths that they have for your more electronic stuff. It's not too great with orchestral though, you'll have to download soundfonts for the orchestral aspect (as I've done). The demo version of FL is completely workable, but if you want to buy it, I just want to say that you should avoid the express edition at all costs.

Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-16 11:34:57 Reply

Fl Studio and Reason are both DAWs, so they do very similar things. Yes, FL studio can host VSTs and actually has its own sampler (simple sampler channel and Directwave, a supercharged sampler, but it's not free). Yes, it can be rewired with Reason also. You may enjoy the synths that they have for your more electronic stuff. It's not too great with orchestral though, you'll have to download soundfonts for the orchestral aspect (as I've done). The demo version of FL is completely workable, but if you want to buy it, I just want to say that you should avoid the express edition at all costs.

Thx. But if it can host VSTs, why is it not good with Orchestral? I've heard some crazy orchestral VSTs. And what would you suggest for orchestral?

BBS Signature
sdfmusic
sdfmusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-16 13:41:49 Reply

It is fine for orchestral. Just don't use built-in vsts/presets for it- because those are not fine for orchestral.

varrin7
varrin7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-21 09:58:11 Reply

A lot of the song on newgrounds that are made with fl studio sound AWESOME. I recently got fl 8, but I can't find any good sounds. I want to make something orchestral, but the string vst's on here come on and off very quickly. Is there a way to make them more natural sounding, and are there any awesome, but FREE string vsts for FL 8? I'm not in the mood to spend more money right now.

===========================< Need a soundtrack for your game or flash? A score for your film perhaps?>==========================

BBS Signature
varrin7
varrin7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-21 10:53:41 Reply

also does anyone know if the garritan instruments for finale 09 will work in fl studio? and if so, how do you do it?

===========================< Need a soundtrack for your game or flash? A score for your film perhaps?>==========================

BBS Signature
poopr1221
poopr1221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-21 13:41:20 Reply

At 2/21/09 09:58 AM, varrin7 wrote: but the string vst's on here come on and off very quickly. Is there a way to make them more natural sounding, and are there any awesome, but FREE string vsts for FL 8? I'm not in the mood to spend more money right now.

WIKI:

ADSR Envelope.

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-21 21:28:37 Reply

When I link a selected channel to a track on the mixer, I have the problem of removing that link to the track. I've looked around, but to no success have I found anything. How do I remove a selected channel linked to a track?

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

liqourish
liqourish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-21 21:50:27 Reply

how to import sound samples into the FL's Browser?

BBS Signature
blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-21 22:22:12 Reply

At 2/21/09 09:50 PM, liqourish wrote: how to import sound samples into the FL's Browser?

Go to the sample, right click and select "copy".

Then follow this filepath:
C:/Program Files/Image-line/FL Studio 8/Data/Patches

At this point, I would recommend selecting "User" because that's what I normally use to hold all my samples.

After that, right click and select "Paste". And now you have added samples to FL Studio.

Secondary method is as follows:

In the general settings, there's a page that allows you to select extra folders to be read by the built-in browser in FL Studio. Using that, add the folder with the samples in it to the browser.

The Time-Wasting Disorganized method

In the sampler window (or audio clip window, or edison window, whichever one you're using), browse from there and add the sample.

Of course, if you're asking how to actually get new samples that you don't already have in your computer, you're going to have to download those of course. I would recommend checking out the audio forum rules section for some good beginner's tips to good VST sites and such. If you want to know where I get my samples, soundfonts, and VSTs, shoot me a PM. BTW, all my stuff is freeware.

liqourish
liqourish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-22 00:45:10 Reply

Go to the sample, right click and select "copy".

Then follow this filepath:
C:/Program Files/Image-line/FL Studio 8/Data/Patches

At this point, I would recommend selecting "User" because that's what I normally use to hold all my samples.

After that, right click and select "Paste". And now you have added samples to FL Studio.

lol thnx, alil too detailed. a simple "copy and paste samples into XXXX directory" would have done good xD

BBS Signature
pokemontrainer7
pokemontrainer7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-22 08:34:45 Reply

It depends on what you mean by that. By you saying "short synth", I'm assuming that you're having problems getting a nice, solid lead sound.

You may want to explore the parameters of your synthesizer. Some of them, such as the sustain and decay parameters, will cut your synth short when set a certain way.

I'm still not totally certain what trouble you're having, though. Could you give more details?

I've had fruityloops for a while and I could never get anything good out of it. Can someone plz help me!

Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-22 10:31:02 Reply

Of course, if you're asking how to actually get new samples that you don't already have in your computer, you're going to have to download those of course. I would recommend checking out the audio forum rules section for some good beginner's tips to good VST sites and such. If you want to know where I get my samples, soundfonts, and VSTs, shoot me a PM. BTW, all my stuff is freeware.

Sorry... I may be slow ... or lazy... but I've checked the rules sections and I can't find the part for good VST sites... Can someone re-direct me. I'm in the process of learning FL but jeez... it's hard to find good samples thus making it hard to learn and be productive. I might stick to Reason in the end.

BBS Signature
Neons
Neons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-22 11:57:24 Reply

Could like maybe someone could add me on msn and give me a small tut for making fast technos and not slow 0.o???

A good reporter discovers the news!!!....good then discover your seat

Assios
Assios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-22 12:36:09 Reply

Dang, I was going to start making a song in FL Studio today, and when I finished some patterns, I was going to put it into the playlist. But then, something happened, and the playlist turned into something... that I can't handle. It's not like you put in bars from the different patterns, it's just large bars that... doesn't work! Can someone please tell me how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Assios
Assios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-22 13:54:13 Reply

Nvm, I solved the problem. The pattern blocks was hided:P

Edwardthehollow
Edwardthehollow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-22 17:36:13 Reply

So I looked through some of these posts(Okay, okay, very few posts... it's 104 pages... GEEZ!) And all I could find FLstudio tutorial wise was a few outdated links. Anyone have any current tutorial information? I've been a huge anonymous fan for a while. and have recently gotten some of the basics of FL down. Now I'm wanting to delve deeper.

TL;DR I need Tutorials pleez!?

New-Milkman
New-Milkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-22 20:08:02 Reply

At 2/22/09 05:36 PM, Edwardthehollow wrote: So I looked through some of these posts(Okay, okay, very few posts... it's 104 pages... GEEZ!) And all I could find FLstudio tutorial wise was a few outdated links. Anyone have any current tutorial information? I've been a huge anonymous fan for a while. and have recently gotten some of the basics of FL down. Now I'm wanting to delve deeper.

TL;DR I need Tutorials pleez!?

WarBeats has some really good tutorials, I'd recommend going through them. There are also some tutorials listed in this blog that might have some use to you.

And of course there's always Google-ing or going on Youtube to find tutorials on specific things.

liqourish
liqourish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-23 12:02:12 Reply

could someone explain compression (FL compressor, multiband compressor FX)? hows it wwork? whats it do? and how to use it? examples well apreciated :D

from what i hear it makes the sound pump or pulsate. never really used it but someone recommended that i do learn to use it,

BBS Signature
CWN
CWN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-23 12:13:22 Reply

At 2/23/09 12:02 PM, liqourish wrote: could someone explain compression (FL compressor, multiband compressor FX)? hows it wwork? whats it do? and how to use it? examples well apreciated :D

from what i hear it makes the sound pump or pulsate. never really used it but someone recommended that i do learn to use it,

Think of compressors is like your grandma with you in the car. You are listening to your favorite music, and everytime it gets loud, you're grandma turns the volume down, when it gets quieter, she turns it back up. The attack of a compressor is how fast she turns the volume knob, the release is how fast she turns it back up. The threshold is the limit at which your grandma thinks it's too loud.
That is the basic function of a compressor. it 'compresses' the sound. The overall volume can thereby be raised. A limiter is a very HARD compressor more or less.
The 'pulsing' effect is achieved by sidechaining. the compressor is triggered by another source.
In the grandma context:
Your grandma is in your car again, this time she's listening to her iPod. Now your favorite music is on in the car, but your grandma is listening to oompa oompa music. (lol). Everytime it gets too loud for her, instead of turning her iPod down, she turns your car radio down and back up.

Get it? :D

BBS Signature
GronmonSE
GronmonSE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-23 18:26:23 Reply

At 2/23/09 12:13 PM, CWN wrote:
At 2/23/09 12:02 PM, liqourish wrote: could someone explain compression (FL compressor, multiband compressor FX)? hows it wwork? whats it do? and how to use it? examples well apreciated :D

Think of compressors is like your grandma with you in the car. You are listening to your favorite music, and everytime it gets loud, you're grandma turns the volume down, when it gets quieter, she turns it back up. The attack of a compressor is how fast she turns the volume knob, the release is how fast she turns it back up. The threshold is the limit at which your grandma thinks it's too loud.
That is the basic function of a compressor. it 'compresses' the sound. The overall volume can thereby be raised. A limiter is a very HARD compressor more or less.
The 'pulsing' effect is achieved by sidechaining. the compressor is triggered by another source.
In the grandma context:
Your grandma is in your car again, this time she's listening to her iPod. Now your favorite music is on in the car, but your grandma is listening to oompa oompa music. (lol). Everytime it gets too loud for her, instead of turning her iPod down, she turns your car radio down and back up.

Get it? :D

I think you've got attack and release wrong. Isn't attack how fast the volume goes up and release how fast it goes down.

The higher the attack, the faster (in milliseconds) you hear the sound. The faster the release, the faster it fades away. If your release is slow, the sound takes more time to fade away.

blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2009-02-23 20:36:57 Reply

At 2/22/09 11:57 AM, Neons wrote: Could like maybe someone could add me on msn and give me a small tut for making fast technos and not slow 0.o???

What you want is the BPM selector. It's in the top bar and by default, it's set to 140 BPM every time you start a new project. Scroll that number by clicking on it to change the tempo of the song. I can't help you more than that because everything else about making "fast" techno should apply to "slow" techno too, I guess.

At 2/21/09 09:28 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: When I link a selected channel to a track on the mixer, I have the problem of removing that link to the track. I've looked around, but to no success have I found anything. How do I remove a selected channel linked to a track?

In the top-right corner of the properties window of every channel is a number. That number selects what mixer track that the particular channel goes to. Click and hold down on that number and move up/down to change mixer tracks, or deselect a mixer track.

At 2/23/09 06:26 PM, GronmonSE wrote: I think you've got attack and release wrong. Isn't attack how fast the volume goes up and release how fast it goes down.

The higher the attack, the faster (in milliseconds) you hear the sound. The faster the release, the faster it fades away. If your release is slow, the sound takes more time to fade away.

You're talking about the amplitude of a sample, or the actual volume of the sample being played.

He's talking about the effect that a compressor would have on the volume of a sample.