00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hey Fourchinnigan....

503 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey Fourchinnigan.... 2002-03-06 16:22:58

Since you seemed to be the resident expert on all things FLASH I thought I'd ask you, what is the best combination of compression and format for sound? I usually start with .wavs that have been brought down to 8-bit stereo@21kbps. I've fooled around with the MP3 options in FLASH but it makes it sound like it was recorded in a railway tunnel. What do you use/recommend?

Also, in your recent masterpiece Crow clock, you failed to answer my question! Please check out my horribly mispelled entry in the general BBS. Thanks

Response to Hey Fourchinnigan.... 2002-03-07 00:04:04

At 3/6/02 04:22 PM, capn_g wrote: Since you seemed to be the resident expert on all things FLASH I thought I'd ask you, what is the best combination of compression and format for sound? I usually start with .wavs that have been brought down to 8-bit stereo@21kbps. I've fooled around with the MP3 options in FLASH but it makes it sound like it was recorded in a railway tunnel. What do you use/recommend?

i dont care if you care what i think but im gonna tell you anyhow because im tired of needlesly large movies being sibmitted to NG because people are too ignorant or lazy when it comes to sound editing.
Firstly, dont even bother with the MP3 option in Flash. It dosent actually Compile the sounds into the SWF file as MP3's, it converts them into bad lo bit WAV files. You can achieve better quality small sized sounds by doing this Manually before Importing into Flash. What sound tools do you use? i reccomend CoolEdit. and Music Match.
Music Match to convert MP3 to WAV at 16-bit sterio 96kbps. Gosh! i can hear you say...thats high, whatever quality WAV you import, Flash is gonna compress it more, Therfore an 8-bit 21kbps file that already sounds terrible is gunna be compiled to become even worse.

Proof that 96kbps 16-bit sterio sounds are perfect for flash can be found here. This is a flash music player i made for somone. click on Drum'n'Bass or Indie playlist...select a song...press play. wait for about 6 seconds and the entire track will be loaded...

http://www.sleepyfrog.org.uk/musicplayer/musicplayer.html

hope this helps....

Hey Fourchinnigan....

Response to Hey Fourchinnigan.... 2002-03-07 08:38:42

I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert. When it comes to scripting, there are a lot of others here that can help more. My knowledge of audio and flash audio is limited. I usually play with the export settings until I get a happy medium between size and quality. Sometimes, I'll even adjust settings for individual clips in the library if necessary.

When I import music, I usually use mp3's set to their regular settings. For dialogue, I'll usually use a mono wav file. Usually 16 bit.

BACE seemes to know what he is talking about and can probably be of more help than me in this instance.

Response to Hey Fourchinnigan.... 2002-03-07 13:17:42

Thanks for your input fellas. I'll be sure to put it to good use...

Response to Hey Fourchinnigan.... 2002-03-07 16:34:24

When I import music, I usually use mp3's set to their regular settings. For dialogue, I'll usually use a mono wav file. Usually 16 bit.

BACE seemes to know what he is talking about and can probably be of more help than me in this instance.

Fourchin...you should know me as sleepyfrOg.

Hey Fourchinnigan....