OK I Better think before I write in the future

JoeandTom
JoeandTom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-15 01:49:05 Reply

Hehe, you should all watch my flash, The blammed.

Its a thing about blaming/stupid flashes.... never got front page though which made me sad :( But it got 2nd place, which made me happy :)

Newgrounds just keeps getting better wade!

ffeineandsugar
ffeineandsugar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-15 03:18:49 Reply

Thanks for the voice back. I'll be good.

Andersson
Andersson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-15 06:16:38 Reply

At 3/14/05 06:02 PM, Grecoism wrote: If someone simply says "your movie sucks" is that an abusive review?

No. You can say: "I hate this, you suck."

That ain't abusive (I suppose "You suck" is abusive according to the rules). But it isn't nice. The abusive reviews are more like: "Burn in hell!" and so on.
Atleast that's what I think is abusive. "You suck." is more like "I think you can't animate." and that is an opinion. Even though the good reviews are those who concern the movie (Or game).

The only thing you should listen to, as I do, is constructive reviews. Those who don't listen to the audience, those are screwed. But those who listen to destructive reviews, they're listening to the wrong advices.

Have that in mind, and never listen or care about any destructive reviews. Those who leave the destructive reviews are mean people, and those ain't supposed to make their opinion.

Andersson
Andersson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-15 06:28:48 Reply

At 3/14/05 10:23 AM, flashmoviefan wrote: Anyone else want to see the fulps do the numa numa dance?!

No. The Numa Numa dancers ain't good. They are just people who looks funny, and get laughed off by doing screwed stuff.
I think it's a negative way of attention. Especially as the large man on the front page has done that dance in more than one movie.

The music are supposed to be a contain of a movie. Not to be a flawed rip-off which either are original or well made. I hope people will continue making their flash movies as in old days, and start making something original.

Dekathos
Dekathos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-15 13:03:49 Reply

At 3/15/05 06:16 AM, Andersson wrote:
At 3/14/05 06:02 PM, Grecoism wrote: If someone simply says "your movie sucks" is that an abusive review?
No. You can say: "I hate this, you suck."

That ain't abusive (I suppose "You suck" is abusive according to the rules). But it isn't nice. The abusive reviews are more like: "Burn in hell!" and so on.
Atleast that's what I think is abusive. "You suck." is more like "I think you can't animate."

I'm sorry but "You suck!" is a personal bash and abusive. "I think you can't animate" is dirrected towards the movie and is different but would be better if it was rephrased to "I think the animation in this movie is poor" it would be better though.

# 2 Telling artists "You suck!", "You should go kill yourself!", "You are gay!", etc. will get you banned and you may lose your account.

Nyzzo-K-F-Die
Nyzzo-K-F-Die
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-15 18:15:06 Reply

hey, i noticed that one of my reviews had been deleted (possibly because the movie had been deleted). anyway i really hate it then people find the review unhelpful because you gave your honest opinion on it. i am afraid of reviewing some movies because people will flag it and i'll get in trouble, even if it's a fair review.

HaroFreak
HaroFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-16 11:46:20 Reply

At 3/15/05 01:03 PM, Dekathos wrote: I'm sorry but "You suck!" is a personal bash and abusive. "I think you can't animate" is dirrected towards the movie and is different but would be better if it was rephrased to "I think the animation in this movie is poor" it would be better though.

# 2 Telling artists "You suck!", "You should go kill yourself!", "You are gay!", etc. will get you banned and you may lose your account.

At least phrasing something during a review for something truly terrible:

"With all due respect, you do suck. The animation quality is not only sub-par, but you're using Gradients horribly. For some parts, I recommend using Non-Gradients to colour your symbols."

I think people can get away with something like this, you think?

But obviously, adding insult without a just cause would make the reviewer deserve having his/her/it's account being deleted, which I think it's justified in any way I see it.

Unless someone's impersonating the reviewer...

JoeandTom
JoeandTom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-16 20:18:24 Reply

I say for anyone submiting utter crap (ex: stickfigures that have 2 frames or seizure screens) should be scolded and abused.

As for higher quality flashes, a simple "I hated this" should suffice.. some reviews i've recieved have been zeros for no reason at all... should those be abusive too?

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-16 23:58:31 Reply

At 3/14/05 06:02 PM, Grecoism wrote: if someone simply says "your movie sucks" is that an abusive review?

The review JUST says that? Hmmmm... borderline. But it's okay to say a movie sucks. It's much better if the person goes on to say WHY the movie sucks.

As Dekathos has pointed out, turning that "sucks" description from the movie... towards the AUTHOR... is where it DEFINITELY becomes abusive. I don't care if people don't think "sucks" is much of an insult. You're not supposed to be using the review system to insult PEOPLE, especially authors.

Other reviewers, races of people, the Clocks, the Locks, etc. etc.... just shut up about all of them, too, though. TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE. If you think the movie sucks, fine. If you think the author sucks? Keep your mouth shut or risk getting banned.

Oh, one note, though: If you just posted "this movie sucks" as a review to multiple movies (whether by the same author or not), THAT is going to get you banned. That'd be text spamming (not as bad as link spamming, of course, but ban-worthy nonetheless).

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List! a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-17 00:33:20 Reply

I flag movies that either blatantly break the review rules, and the one-liners than exclaim "you suck!" or something else of the sorts, without any note about why it sucked. The review is supposed to help the author. If you aren't helping in even the slightest way, I flag.

We gladly feast upon those who would subdue us.

BBS Signature
HaroFreak
HaroFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-17 00:40:36 Reply

At least it's those mature few people on NG which can stop this from being a complete n00b nightmare...

Rocketboy13
Rocketboy13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-17 01:33:56 Reply

I'm now glad that I decided to give the Boards a once over, sometimes when I post a review I immediately feel like an ass. Even though I'm not the abusive type, I will try to be more specific, and helpful, with my complaints in the future.

HaroFreak
HaroFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-17 02:40:21 Reply

At 3/17/05 01:33 AM, Rocketboy13 wrote: I'm now glad that I decided to give the Boards a once over, sometimes when I post a review I immediately feel like an ass. Even though I'm not the abusive type, I will try to be more specific, and helpful, with my complaints in the future.

Criticism, if you may. Not "Complaints".

creepyone
creepyone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-17 13:26:38 Reply

i always think about the flash before i vote... i rarely ever name something as abusive-i've only done it once.

Hoyle789
Hoyle789
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-17 14:09:01 Reply

the only thing i rated bad was the dragon ball z game where it has a white background and you have to click on 1 of the Z fighters to see what you get. like if you click on gohorn you see him with a ball of engergy (still picture to) and writing apears and you read it its the outcome of the battle. the game is crap i gave it a 0

IntenseMan
IntenseMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-18 14:46:01 Reply

Hey Wade if it's not asking too much, could you delete all my reviews so I can start fresh? I don't want those ugly reviews hanging in my profile. Thanks.

BlackSapphire
BlackSapphire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-18 15:26:07 Reply

YAY!

Rocketboy13
Rocketboy13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-19 03:14:51 Reply

One last Question. Should we bother marking abussive reviews for stuff that ends up in the obituaries?
I sometimes spelunk through them, just to see what people have said about movies I liked, but didn't pass.

Piconjo-Fan-001
Piconjo-Fan-001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-19 05:54:54 Reply

maybe the rating system should also be modified. The graphics/style fall too much in the same category. I'd rather see an Originality rating than a graphics rating, since when we're talking about style, we're talking about the way it looks aka graphics.

So maybe this should be taken into consideration.

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-19 06:19:39 Reply

At 3/19/05 05:54 AM, Piconjo_Fan_001 wrote: maybe the rating system should also be modified. The graphics/style fall too much in the same category. I'd rather see an Originality rating than a graphics rating, since when we're talking about style, we're talking about the way it looks aka graphics.

So maybe this should be taken into consideration.

Style covers ANYthing you think it covers.

Such as, but not limited to, art style, musical style, direction/writing, gameplay (if it's a game), pacing, length, motifs used within the flash, etc. etc.... it's as close as any of the categories comes to being an overall score (until you get to the "overall" one, of course).

Graphics /= Style, IOW. You may talk about only graphics when you mention style, but your definition of style is quite limited compared to most people, apparently.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List! a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
HaroFreak
HaroFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-21 00:26:11 Reply

At 3/17/05 01:26 PM, creepyone wrote: i always think about the flash before i vote... i rarely ever name something as abusive-i've only done it once.

The only bad reviews I wish to have removed are the ones which I didn't type over 100 words on...

Funny, but yes; I somewhat pride myself on good reviews.

Andersson
Andersson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-21 05:17:15 Reply

At 3/17/05 01:26 PM, creepyone wrote: i always think about the flash before i vote...

When I leave a review for an ordinary movie (This means that this is how I do in general), I watch it 5 to 10 times so I get a chance to see all the details, still, there are alot of reviews I ain't happy with.

twindragon6
twindragon6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-04-16 01:09:14 Reply

Cool! I was wondering about how you went about reporting violations.

Big-DK
Big-DK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-04-19 11:54:18 Reply

If my ban has been lifted, and my reviews returned, whats to keep someone from marking them abusive again, since they were abusive to begin with and have now returned? And if they do mark them abusive.. Won't I just get my reviews banned again?.. This doesn't seem like a good way of unbanning someone. It did suck not being able to leave reviews though, there was so many movies i wanted to congradulate and some i wanted to just say some helpful things ever since my ban. But I couldn't.. I thought it would never be lifted. I'll have to test it out to make sure, but answer my question on re submitting the old reviews as abusive please.