Respond to this Topic
Shadic-1
Shadic-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 12th, 2005 @ 08:54 PM Reply

REALLY? They're all lifted!?!?!!? (checks right now) Holy shit yes!!! Thanks Wade, I still don't know what I posted but thanks!

Grecoism
Grecoism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 12th, 2005 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 3/12/05 08:53 PM, magmadragonn wrote: theres some guy whos abusive but the movie was blammed and there is no abusive button under the review, should i email wade or tom or somethin?

i think as long as its gone its fine, unless you like despratly want creadit for seeing it. lool

cr0m
cr0m
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 12th, 2005 @ 09:36 PM Reply

I would like to bring to the attention Mr.Wade Fulp that cartoons such as this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/224542 have an adverse effect on NG. they have poor quaility and eat up bandwith. They attract unpleasent reveiws and stir up contraversy. I do not wish to point fingers at anyone...but this is a problem that causes bad reviews. I belive there should be a new whistle option for cartoons that are completly unsuitable for NG. So this problem can be brought to you before more users are tempted to slam it with an offensive reveiw.

Grecoism
Grecoism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 12th, 2005 @ 10:23 PM Reply

Revrent wrote:

cartoons such as this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/224542 have an adverse effect on NG. they have poor quaility and eat up bandwith. They attract unpleasent reveiws and stir up contraversy. I belive there should be a new whistle option for cartoons that are completly unsuitable for NG.

like that movie, any movie that the people find unsutable will die

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 12th, 2005 @ 10:28 PM Reply

At 3/12/05 10:23 PM, Grecoism wrote: Revrent wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/224542

the hell? that was past judgement a few minutes ago, now its blammed! freaky!

thegreatmonkey
thegreatmonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 12th, 2005 @ 11:35 PM Reply

when tom's away, wade takes over! he floods the front page with rules, institutes new laws that tom hasn't approved, and threatens us with the horror of BROKEN WHISTLES! gasp!

Grecoism
Grecoism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 12th, 2005 @ 11:55 PM Reply

At 3/12/05 11:35 PM, thegreatmonkey wrote: when tom's away, wade takes over! he floods the front page with rules, institutes new laws that tom hasn't approved, and threatens us with the horror of BROKEN WHISTLES! gasp!

I dont see anything wrong with broken whistles. as long as its not that easy to get. there needs to be some rules or people could just flag any flash they felt like.

Darklilangel23
Darklilangel23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 12:00 AM Reply

ok but whats up with people who write good reviews but assholes mark them as abusive? or vice versa

or you tell an artist his movie sucks and reasons why his movie sucks and dont get personal but he writes u a abuisive comment like i hope ur mother gets raped and dies and never write another review again u noob when clearly i am no noob

i admit i used to write abuisve reviews but i have turned it around and make really good ones and tell an artist what isnt good and what is good in his movie
and still artists take offense when then if they cant take a lil opinion then dont post the damn movie of skt8er dying sticks again god damn it

Dark Kisses In Sweet Places

runes
runes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 12:03 AM Reply

THANK U MAN IM FREEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darklilangel23
Darklilangel23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 12:10 AM Reply

excellent job February 7, 2005

Entry: Goth Boy Overall Score: 10

dont listen to the previous dipshit who has never made a movie this movie rocks
thank you for adding to ngs fine collection of well made movies

Graphics: 10 Sound: 10 Interactivity: 10 Style: 9 Violence: 10 Humor: 10

Author's response:

Thanks so much! Your positive feedback means a lot to me. ^_^

front page material February 6, 2005

Entry: Episode 1: Stranded Overall Score: 10

this rocks i hope your submission gets on the front page everything about it rocks
from loading screen to ending screen it rocks
the music rocks graphics are some of the best!

Graphics: 10 Sound: 10 Interactivity: 10 Style: 10 Violence: 10 Humor: 10

Author's response:

Well, I hope it does get front page.

1/1 people found this review helpful. Did you?

who the fuck thought that was abusive?

waste of time December 24, 2004

Entry: sklhdfsofifhflkshfbzk Overall Score: 0

why do you constantly waste everyones time and patience on stupid submissions like this

no story just random animations woopie fucking do da

any 10 year old with a month of psp flash can do that

do better than that i know u can so show us how good u can be

until then i give u low scores for horrible submission

Graphics: 0 Sound: 0 Interactivity: 0 Style: 0 Violence: 0 Humor: 0

Author's response:

lawl!

1/2 people found this review helpful. Did you?

who the fuck thinks i was b eing mean the the guy? and his responce? its on page 3 of my reviews

Bravo ! that was EXCELLENT August 16, 2004

Entry: FF:The day after LD Overall Score: 10

tommorow morning someone is gonna choke on his cereal when he sees this and will make robo from crono trigger call you names lol...

the story graphics all of it are some of the best sprite based ive ever seen

you did an amazing job on this

its good that skilled people like you work hard to make movies like this

i got some friends together and we voted your movie up it was quite low but now it should well pass judgement

congrats and thank you for making such a great movie

Graphics: 10 Sound: 10 Interactivity: 10 Style: 10 Violence: 10 Humor: 10

Author's response:

I appreciate the voting, though a Vince dissing movie wouldnt go higher than that, I'm still satisfied on how badly he took it and went bitching to the SS that he is gonna make his own diss. Until next work.

0/4 people found this review helpful. Did you?

now who the fuck is giving me abuisive button on shinz movies i like shinz and him and vinicgator have issues and vinc along with hardcore tend to abuise button people who give shinz good reviews what the fuck is this preschool????

Dark Kisses In Sweet Places

retr0smash
retr0smash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Filmmaker
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 12:34 AM Reply

At 3/12/05 01:36 AM, WadeFulp wrote: Tonight I have finally cleared out all of the abusive reviews that were flagged as abusive and were abusive. I have also set all the review bans to be lifted, if it doesn't crash NG trying to lift the bans on all 1,587 accounts. Yeah, that's a lot of people writing a lot of nasty reviews. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes and will submit proper reviews in the future.

I encourage all our users to be on the look out for reviews that violate our REVIEW GUIDELINES and mark them as ABUSIVE. Just click the ABUSIVE link under the review. You will have to be logged in. If you don't have a Newgrounds account just click the JOIN NG link at the top of any NG page, it's FREE!

Users who help mark abusive reviews as abusive will be rewarded with positive whistle points which can increase your whistle level. By doing this you will have more weight when flagging reviews as abusive, and blowing the whistle on Under Judgment Portal entries. However, users who mark non-abusive reviews as abusive will get hit with negative whistle points which will pull your level down quickly and possibly result in a broken whistle. :) Don't let this make you nervous about flagging reviews that you feel violate our guidelines. It would take several users to make the same mistake, so usually this only happens to people who are truly malicious and trying to cause trouble.

Once a user's review ban is lifted all of their reviews can be seen again by the public. So we may have a flood of abusive reviews returning. We are working on an improved review system so our review moderators have more power to remove abusive reviews on the spot. If you have any questions please leave a comment.

Yeah Wade, well, it happens that I was one of the users that got a review ban. It's just that I was making a bunch of bad reviews for hateful Piconjo movies at the time that I couldn't watch myself. But thanx for the review ban lifting and I'll try my very best not to make that same mistake again. Perhaps I'll just stop watching Piconjo movies...They just get my anger flowing...
Thx anywayz.

OUT

BBS Signature
dubieman
dubieman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 12:45 AM Reply

thank you wade im finaly free to write my wrongs and prove that i wont write anymore stupid reviews and i also have a silver whistle from finding abusive reviews also for that thank you i am sooooo happy that my bann is dropped so know i can exspress my feelings about a movie again xept without saying stuff that will hurt the artist

ps. thankyou for the secound chance

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 3/12/05 01:36 AM, WadeFulp wrote: First off, if you are in the Austin, Texas area be sure to click the link at the top of this page to check out Tom's schedule as you maybe able to meet him!

I met him last night. It was groovy. Tom's talk was excellent (I was 15 minutes late, unfortunately, due to traffic... but still got to hear a ton of it, and the question/answer session as well, where I tied the 9 year old guy behind me with 3 NG-user-provided questions as Tom requested. #;-}>). The audience seemed very receptive, chuckling at Tom's jokes and at the unintentionally (perhaps) funny bits, too.

Tonight I have finally cleared out all of the abusive reviews that were flagged as abusive and were abusive. I have also set all the review bans to be lifted, if it doesn't crash NG trying to lift the bans on all 1,587 accounts. Yeah, that's a lot of people writing a lot of nasty reviews. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes and will submit proper reviews in the future.

Wait a sec... you say you cleared out the ACTUAL abusive reviews that were flagged as abusive and WERE abusive (IOW, you ignored the ones written by legit reviewers who get targetted by the assholes who hate them, so that's good)... but I take it any reviews that didn't get a certain amount of markage (say, less than 0/5 or something) didn't get cleared? I mean, no one expects you to go THAT deeply into the abusiveness, there's 100,000s of reviews with 0/1 or more, probably... but... argh.

Make me a "review admin" or something, Wade. I'd go through that shit with much eagerness. Hell, I'd be DOING that shit right after doing my normal moderation now if I could. If you're going to expand review mod powers, then that's just perfect, in fact.

Once a user's review ban is lifted all of their reviews can be seen again by the public. So we may have a flood of abusive reviews returning. We are working on an improved review system so our review moderators have more power to remove abusive reviews on the spot. If you have any questions please leave a comment.

But see, there... you say that a ton of abusive reviews might be returning along with the unbanning of all those abusive peoples. So... that's the part that indicated to me that you didn't get to ALL of 'em.

I guess the only SURE way to get massive amounts of whistle points these days is on the link spammers who get deleted ASAP by yourself... because the General Banned people who are just being abusive and nasty don't tend to have as much abusiveness, and there's no special SPAM ban thing that's indicating to you their accounts need deletion, so... eh.

It makes gold impossible for everyone else, too, so I won't complain. #;-}>

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
iscrulz
iscrulz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 02:42 AM Reply

At 3/12/05 01:40 AM, The_Newgrounds_Idiot wrote: Damn that's alot of banned users

My alt was one of them.

keep up the good work wade

Yes I hope I get more postive whislte pts then negatives I marked a-lot on numa.

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 03:30 AM Reply

At 3/13/05 03:22 AM, GeorgeTopouria wrote: I have an idea for a good system that can help clean out all abusive reviews withou mods. If only someone would listen..............t

This is a forum... and this thread is directed towards review bans.... AND Wade already asked to post your comments. So show us your idea.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 04:38 AM Reply

At 3/12/05 07:15 AM, Grandfather-Clock wrote:
At 3/12/05 06:58 AM, Bahamut7 wrote:
At 3/12/05 06:38 AM, Grandfather-Clock wrote: omg shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Oops!
that aint fair!

i cant help being blunt

You jackass. You're banned from the BBS for something for 7 days and guess what else? I'm about to ban you from reviewing AGAIN. So... now that your 8 month ban is over, perhaps a new one has just begun.

"blunt" is not the term I'd use to describe the following reviews you made yesterday, after getting off your ban thanks to Wade's super-ban-clearance:

Subject: finally, i can leave a swell review
Review: well,

Subject: fdfvrthtgh
Review: [the review was actually okay... wow]

Subject: HAWT REVIEW ALERT
Review: 10

Subject: sick of it
Review: it was funny when it came out, but the hype is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated please tom, take this off the front page and let it die

Subject: omg dna pladlalim
Review: dna assaa sdasd sda peas tnak is mighty gud bring out an akshun figure

Subject: bad.
Review: awful.

Now, I'll admit... that last one WAS blunt. But it was also short, pointless, and not really a review ("10" is not a review. [Complaint about Numa Numa being on the front page] is not a review and such complaining is now forbidden by the admins. Making jackass all-10 score reviews to someone you're buddies with without actually providing any COMMENTARY or REVIEW or even much words at all is not allowed either).

Way to abuse the PRIVILEGE the admins have given you (that's right, reviewing flash on NG is a privilege, not a right).

*snap*

Just like that... it's gone. Again. Because of your own actions. I hope you serve as a valuable lesson to other foolish people who might be reading this thread in the near future... but for whom it is hopefully NOT too late to remedy their misguided and stupid reviewing/posting ways.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 05:40 AM Reply

At 3/12/05 01:29 PM, Dekathos wrote:
At 3/12/05 01:14 PM, Zendra wrote: I've seen some reviews who were just fine. They gave their opinions, but kept to the guidelines.
The author's repsones was making it abusive. So I think it would be rather nice that you can also mark an abusive review-respones.
O PLEASE NO! Can't we authors be given some privileges . :'( That's all I need is a ego-poll about wether other people agree with my comments or not.

Believe me I have seen author's who insult people when they are given good reviews *cough* RadishClock *cough* but I still think that being able to grade there responses is a stupid idea and I will defend the rights of author's to defend there work to the end and they shouldn't be banned for it.

I agree with you that Zendra's idea for NG users being able to abusive-mark authors' review-responses is not a good one. It would turn YET ANOTHER area of NG into a popularity contest in many cases. It could be counterproductive... and MOST of the time those responses don't NEED rating like reviews do.

That said, I hope that when the admins change review mod powers, they will enable us to ban authors from replying, period. I have banned many many many people being jackasses to authors, and seen authors being even WORSE back. I have also seen what Zendra was talking about, many many many times (the reviewer not doing a SINGLE thing wrong but getting totally trashed and abused by the author's response). Neither of these cases is an author exercising his right to "Defend his work." An author exercising his ability to act like a child (whether he is one or not) because NG currently doesn't prevent him from doing so, basically.

Such a ban would not prevent the author from submitting more flash, of course. Or anything else. JUST replying to reviews, which he apparently can't handle doing constructively.

At 3/12/05 02:18 PM, Dekathos wrote:
At 3/12/05 02:14 PM, BigBlueBalls wrote: I've marked ones abusive by accident, but not very often. Usually I meant to click the "No" button to "not helpful" and my hand slipped clicking the abusive instead. Maybe there should be an "Are you sure?" question, like there is for blowing the whistle on flash movies.
SECONDED! THIS IS NEEDED!

I waste enough time review modding already. And you WANT to be one, right? No thank you to that "are you sure" popup warning. Having to click a button or hit enter everytime I hit the abusive button in a review listing would be a pain in the ass. I already have to hit back with my keyboard or mouse after doing it (because it's now javascript instead of an actual URL like it used to be... the old way, we could just shift-click (in IE) or ctrl-click (in Firefox) to mark the review abusive in a NEW window or tab, and we could keep on browsing the same reviewing listing (whether by author or by movie) without having to return to that page. The new way already sucks and is slower. We don't need it slowed even further. ;_;

At 3/12/05 04:57 PM, Speaks_Softly wrote: I know I'm new, and I know this violates a main premise of this site. But for me, some gay guy who loves animation, I have to sit through about 300 instances of abuse every day when browsing this site. It gets REALLY old, and don't expect me to sit still for some of this "you're gay, you deserve (or get) a bullet in the head" crap that's expressed all over the place here. Talk about abusive!

You'd get shit even if people didn't know you were gay. I DO have to wonder how often you need to mention you're gay in a review... and then get slammed for it after the fact by an author (upon glancing at your reviews, the only MAJOR example of the former was you saying "not everyone wants to look at naked girls... how about some guys!" to some hentai game... but the author didn't respond, anyway, so...).

IOW, if you're tiring of the homophobic bullshit some authors are giving you, perhaps toning down the publicity you're giving to your sexuality... might be the best choice. In a perfect world I wouldn't even have to recommend that as this would be a non-issue. But this isn't a perfect world, and NG reflects that, sadly.

(By the way, your BBS policy, which is more specific, is more right on target in my opinion.)

On the BBS, everyone's posts are equal. IOW, people can reply both directions, people are free to post as much as they want. This is why abusiveness can be cracked down on much more evenly on the BBS. I could tell you how many BBS users I've banned for homophobic bullshit and using gay and fag and shit like that as an insult, but I don't want to bore you. It's a high %, let's just say.

But as the admins have it currently set up, I, as a review mod, can only pursue and punish the REVIEWERS who do similar shit in reviews... not the authors who reply to them. I hope Wade sees your post, but perhaps e-mailing him would be a better idea in this case, as you have some very specific comments about things that he might be interested to hear your perspective on. :::shrugs:::

At 3/12/05 06:46 PM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: How come every NG news post is like a TV commercial? lol The signup link always manages to be slapped in there.

Because Tom and Wade know that the vast majority of people who visit NG aren't NG members, they never sign up for an account, and many of them don't even know how to get to the portal...

So, since news posts are also FRONT PAGE posts, they put in little tips to new visitors or people who've never signed up and try to encourage them to do so by pointing out how easy (and free) it is to sign up on NG and get extra benefits by doing so. The front page of NG, after all, is the one place all non-members are pretty much guaranteed to either enter the site through... or come to at SOME point after getting linked to a specific movie page or something by a friend.

At 3/12/05 06:52 PM, KupaMan wrote: Sometimes an author's responses are pretty abusive. Are there any plans of adding an "Abusive" button for an author's replies?

That's kinda been a topic of discussion since page 2 in here. If you'd please go back and read this fairly short news topic in full, you'd see that no admin has piped in, so I'm afraid we have no idea at this point. The pros and cons of this have already been gone over, including in my above reply to Dekathos.

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 05:43 AM Reply

At 3/12/05 07:20 PM, masterchief2888 wrote: I hardly pull the whistle cause im nervous that i might not be doing the right thing. Hope i get it right ,when it is abusive...

Yeah, well... that's great. And I'm careful about using the whistle, too. But we're not talking about whistling flash here, we're talking about MARKING REVIEWS ABUSIVE. Both can contribute to the whistle in your NG PROFILE, but they aren't the same thing, obviously.

At 3/12/05 08:38 PM, Execution wrote:
At 3/12/05 08:22 PM, Grecoism wrote: i saw i guy submit the same movie twice in a row am i suposed to blow the wistle on both or just the second one
It's impossible to vote on the same submission twice with the same account. It is either that you have a problem with your computer or the guy used two account with names that look like each other.

First of all, Grecoism: Like I just said to masterchief, we're talking about reviews in this topic, not movies. (sigh)

Execution: You didn't read his post very closely, did you. He didn't say he wanted to blow the whistle (or vote, for that matter... which is what you said even though he clearly said WHISTLE, not vote O_o) on the same movie twice.

He said an AUTHOR submitted the SAME MOVIE (i.e. .swf file) TWICE. To two separate portal ID#s, in other words. He was asking about whether he should blow the whistle on one or both movies.

The answer is: it depends... do both movies break an actual rule? Or are you just saying you're pissed off about him submitting twice and want to whistle one or both movies? In the latter case, they're probably both getting blammed anyway, so just vote to blam them. (resigh)

At 3/13/05 12:00 AM, Darklilangel23 wrote: ok but whats up with people who write good reviews but assholes mark them as abusive? or vice versa

Wade mentioned he only deleted reviews that were marked as abusive AND were abusive. And hell, he missed a ton of reviews that were both marked AND abusive, so I wouldn't worry about good reviews getting deleted. Wade errs on the SAFE side, not the over-deletiony side, when it comes to reviews.

At 3/13/05 12:03 AM, runes wrote: THANK U MAN IM FREEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Free to write reviews like these (from late February)?

"????? this is like so so soso soso sos soos gaay"

"?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ? this is like ................ so wried man the dogs are gay and stuff. i dont get it!!!!!!!!!!!"

Please review more... wisely... from now on, or you'll just be banned again.

At 3/13/05 12:10 AM, Darklilangel23 wrote: 1/1 people found this review helpful. Did you?

who the fuck thought that was abusive?

First of all, why the FUCK did you just spam up this topic with tons of pasted reviews and responses and your commentary?! There's no point in doing that. You didn't even TRIM AND EDIT THEM. Just plopped 'em down in the topic. Way to go, man.

Secondly, why the fuck are YOU upset that someone marked the review you made and were talking about in the above line by you.... ABUSIVE... when it clearly says 1/1 found it HELPFUL. That means 1 person has clicked a rating, and the rating was I FOUND THIS HELPFUL.

0/4 people found this review helpful. Did you?

now who the fuck is giving me abuisive button on shinz movies i like shinz and him and vinicgator have issues and vinc along with hardcore tend to abuise button people who give shinz good reviews what the fuck is this preschool????

At least you seem to understand what 0/4 means. Heh. Grow up, DLA.

At 3/13/05 03:38 AM, GeorgeTopouria wrote: Ok, I am just afraid someone might steal it!
So, since we all have different whislte levels, and though different powers of it! Lets say

Normal Whistle - 1 Point
Bronze - 3 Point
Silver - 5 Point
Gold - 10 Point
Deity -15 Point

What are these points for? Well, when 30 points gather on the review by the users, the review automatically get deleted!!

Example - Review - "OMG I HATE YOU DIE BITCH KILL LOLS LMAO" - this is an abusive review, if it reaches 30 points of abusive it gets deleted and the writer of the review gets a small ban which will increase if he writes another abusive review!

No one's going to steal that idea. I'm afraid it sucks.

Why does it suck? Because it would be abused. Do you not realise, as many in this topic have talked about... that lots of authors (and general NG users/reviewers) tend to gang up on reviewers like say... XwaynecoltX, the guy with over 10,000 reviews... and other people... just because they HAVE A PERSONAL PROBLEM WITH THEM. And they use multiple accounts (or get their friends to help) to ABUSIVELY MARK HELPFUL REVIEWS AS ABUSIVE.

Do you seriously think that within a week of your system being introduced... dozens of GOOD reviews wouldn't already be getting auto-deleted because all it takes is 30 normal whistles or 10 bronze whistles or 6 silver whistles (and silver whistles are quite common, so don't think that you can't be an asshole and get to the silver whistle. YOU CAN. And many do).... anyway, all it takes is THAT FEW WHISTLES in combined power to DESTROY a review without a moderator or admin knowing OR approving of it?!

Madness. Your little method to ensure that mods and admins don't need to work at this anymore is more flawed than I can articulate to you, I'm sure. And don't bother saying (once your BBS ban has elapsed, that is) that the mark could be 60 points instead of 30 points or something. THE WEAKNESS OF THE SYSTEM IS AT ITS CORE. ITS ROOT. There is no getting around that if someone got enough normal users/accounts together, they could take down any reviews they disliked.

That means reviews that are lowering the review score of their movie or a friend's movie.

That means reviews that they find personally objectionable but may be perfectly fine by NG rules.

That means reviews that are simply written by a user they do not like.

Reviews like that getting deleted (and the GOOD reviewers who wrote them getting banned)... is NOT a cost the admins would be willing to pay to put into an effect that got bad reviews deleted quickly by normal users voting. Trust me on this. It'd be like speeding up trials for tons and tons of guilty defendants... only you have to sentence 10% as many innocent people as well. Not going to happen. Unjust.

BBS Signature
Tremour
Tremour
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 06:09 AM Reply

Seriously though, Gfox, are there any plans on introducing a system where by the reviewer gets a reason for their ban ? In the past, whenever I've been banned from the BBS, I've looked at the mods reason for said ban and learned from it. Such a system would more than likely be benificial for reviewing, too.

FUCK

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 06:50 AM Reply

At 3/13/05 06:09 AM, Tremour wrote: Seriously though, Gfox, are there any plans on introducing a system where by the reviewer gets a reason for their ban ? In the past, whenever I've been banned from the BBS, I've looked at the mods reason for said ban and learned from it. Such a system would more than likely be benificial for reviewing, too.

I don't know.

Like I said to KupaMan on this very page regarding a different aspect of review moderation and whether there are future plans for it:

At 3/12/05 06:52 PM, KupaMan wrote: Sometimes an author's responses are pretty abusive. Are there any plans of adding an "Abusive" button for an author's replies?

That's kinda been a topic of discussion since page 2 in here. If you'd please go back and read this fairly short news topic in full, you'd see that no admin has piped in, so I'm afraid we have no idea at this point.

The above basically is my answer to you as well.

I did say something about MY ideas and views on the subject of review ban messages at some point in the near past..... let me find it...

Ah yes, back on the 9th, in Wade's IGF update topic, specifically:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=240966&page=2

Here's the portion of the post I refer to just in case you're too lazy to go look it up right now. #;-}>

At 3/9/05 10:55 PM, EKRegulus wrote: Well, you could delete the review + ban the user + ban message. That would be even better but the problem is that you guys have only the middle option so yeah, the current works very well even though the banned reviewer often needs to talk about his ban on the BBS, on an instant chat or per email because he doesn't understand why he was banned.

Yes, ban messages would be okay, except that then review mods have to worry about hatemail and shit like BBS mods do. Don't assume that the mods are going to be abusive when 99% of the time on the BBS, it's the other way around.

That said, I wouldn't mind a little checkbox while banning that says "please check which reason the user is being banned for (more than one, if applicable)" and then features this listing:

1) Link spam
2) Character spam
3) identical reviews to multiple entries
4) hateful speech at flash author
5) hateful speech in general
6) asking for movie to be blammed
7) posting nothing but "thanks for voting" screen results.
8) etc. etc. etc.

And then whatever reason or reasons were selected would be shown to the user for the whole month they're banned if they try to review again. That would be nifty, yes.

BBS Signature
Tremour
Tremour
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 07:02 AM Reply

At 3/13/05 06:50 AM, gfoxcook wrote: Here's the portion of the post I refer to just in case you're too lazy to go look it up right now. #;-}>

Well, thanks for the clarification in any case. I just hope a more efficient review mod system can be implemented soon, giving the admins, and you guys, hopefully a better way of doing things. I know, I know, Liljim has more important things on his agenda at the moment, but it'll still be interesting to see. Cheers.

FUCK

BBS Signature
HaroFreak
HaroFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 07:57 AM Reply

Awesome, it's good to clean the crap once in a while.

Seriously though, how many "Non-Abusive" reviews are actually "Reviews"? Most of the "Reviews" I see are but comments, praises or simply insults. Constructive criticism and advice are 1 in a few thousand reviews.

Next Release ETA: ?

Andersson
Andersson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 3/12/05 01:36 AM, WadeFulp wrote: We are working on an improved review system so our review moderators have more power to remove abusive reviews on the spot. If you have any questions please leave a comment.

Ok. I think you should be able to mark a review during a movie haven't passed yet, cuz it's in those movies (Like a movie which could be called, "stiqz figt") who get all the abusive reviews.

So a member who abuse an artist at this time, knowing the movie will get blammed, will also get away with it.

Through letting us see all the reviews while the movie are in judgement, we'll also have the chance to catch the big one's. Which would let you see who this person really are, and as a result of that, ban him/her before it goes too far.

By the way. I know that you took all the movies which SevenStar (etc.) made away from their account a while ago (Which was VERY good). But that you then putted them back (Not good).
I think you should make a search for "author" and "SevenStar". And watch the "Biker Boiz" movies, and see if they really are that great.

Anyway, the chance you'll see this is VERY small, but I think I should post it anyway.
And I'll probably post more though I got alot to say.

Thank you for taking time.

/Mathias Andersson

Zen444
Zen444
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 11:26 AM Reply

A thing that bugs me, is that its way to easy to get your whistle level up.

swive
swive
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 11:52 AM Reply

are you ever getting more mods?

Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 11:58 AM Reply

I'm sure he will in due time. :/

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
MaxR
MaxR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 3/13/05 11:26 AM, Zen444 wrote: A thing that bugs me, is that its way to easy to get your whistle level up.

up to silver you mean, after that man... its hard, hard like hell, I am a silver whistle and still haven't leveled up.

MaxR
MaxR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 12:23 PM Reply

At 3/13/05 07:57 AM, HaroFreak wrote: Awesome, it's good to clean the crap once in a while.

Seriously though, how many "Non-Abusive" reviews are actually "Reviews"? Most of the "Reviews" I see are but comments, praises or simply insults. Constructive criticism and advice are 1 in a few thousand reviews.

yeah I agree, there are so much reviews with one lines, insults, and sometimes not even related to the topic. I am a flash author and I rarely get one or two constructive crtism on each of my movies. But oh well, sometimes one or two just might do it.

And yeah, I agree to clean up the trash.

Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 01:24 PM Reply

At 3/13/05 11:26 AM, Zen444 wrote: A thing that bugs me, is that its way to easy to get your whistle level up.

Uh. That isn't true. It sure takes time before your whistle level goes up. I've marked like 100-200 revies to get silver!

At 3/13/05 11:52 AM, swive wrote: are you ever getting more mods?

I don't know how many review mods NG has, but if they need some, they've probally have a list. ;)

Crosso15
Crosso15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews Mar. 13th, 2005 @ 01:39 PM Reply

yay i can finally review again (nice reviews) i apolagize of my mistake. and i did learn my lesson. i have learnt alot more. but it makes me think one of the rules is totally poitless?