Respond to this Topic
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 07:35:14 Reply

At 3/12/05 01:44 AM, Incredible_Hulk wrote: Does it actually make a difference when I mark a review as "not helpful"? It always felt like the who cares choice between the three. Secondly, kudos on the raised power for the review mods. They more than anybody should be able to delete abusive/harmful reviews. There's more abuse on the reviews than there is on the BBS. :)

Yeah, not helpful is like voting 2 or 3, but less so, I get the impression. I mean, if it's abusive, you want to mark abusive, if it's helpful you might want to mark helpful, but what do you get out of saying that a review isn't helpful, but isn't abusive either?

BBS Signature
ramagi
ramagi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 07:38:23 Reply

Well I hope anyoen that was banned will make sure to reread the rules, so they can avoid it in the future.

the-phantom-spancker
the-phantom-spancker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 07:47:32 Reply

Cheers Wade, Spancker is back.
FUCK YEAH!

glnlego
glnlego
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 07:57:49 Reply

knb

AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 08:26:49 Reply

Yay!! All your whistle points are belong to me! I know it will probably take a VERY long time until I can get a gold whistle, if ever :(

RedCircle
RedCircle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 09:12:47 Reply

At 3/12/05 05:54 AM, EKRegulus wrote:
At 3/12/05 01:36 AM, WadeFulp wrote: We are working on an improved review system so our review moderators have more power to remove abusive reviews on the spot. If you have any questions please leave a comment.
I don't like the sound of that. I think that it would be too easy for review mods to abuse their power and delete reviews simply because they don't agree with them or other bogus reasons. Please keep review removal for admins only.

You do realize how retarded your comment is, EK?

There are tons of people who just LOVE to post malicious links to sites. The quicker those reviews get deleted, the better off people are when browsing NG.

If the Review Mod tools were as good as the BBS Mod tools, then there would be a lot fewer visible abusive, malicious, or spammy reviews.

By the way, as a Review Mod, banning reviews for personal reasons has never crossed my mind. I've always maintained an objective mindset.

SmashingAvocados
SmashingAvocados
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 09:23:47 Reply

hm.... i guess that it's helpful to get rid of these reviews, but a lot of this has to do with personal opinion. Maybe it should take several flags, ya no?

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 09:23:55 Reply

Wow, so everyone is finally unreview banned? I was a while ago but I'm happy for all those people. :D

I myself think it is a bit stupid to have to wait to be manually unbanned by an administrator, which means it would've taken months, maybe even years to get unbanned, there should be a ban system like in the BBS, limited to time and it tells you how long till you are unbanned, but not within the limit of 7 days, say....1 day for each abusive review found?

MisterSambert
MisterSambert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 09:55:23 Reply

here is the problem:

the ones writting bad reviews are noobs

and as we all know, noobs dont read rules/news posts.

Some people are just pathetic morons that will never realize how much they put flash authors down.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature
silver-222
silver-222
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 10:09:39 Reply

yea i belive the review system needs to be worked on but i would like it if NG still choose your Aura

The-Wrathchild
The-Wrathchild
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 11:12:58 Reply

Hmm..... How many abusive reviews were in the numa numa dance alone! LOL

Panthar-1
Panthar-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 11:14:59 Reply

I still dont understand whats the difference between unhelpful and abusive reviews :(

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 11:17:15 Reply

At 3/12/05 11:14 AM, Panthar wrote: I still dont understand whats the difference between unhelpful and abusive reviews :(

Unhelpful: Not very useful review to the author and the readers, but not abusive.

Abusive: Against the Portal FAQ rules.

I hope that sorts out your problem.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 11:19:52 Reply

At 3/12/05 11:14 AM, Panthar wrote: I still dont understand whats the difference between unhelpful and abusive reviews :(

unhelpful is just, an unhelpful review, but not abusive.

examples.

good helpful review:

I think this was a worthwhile movie, well animated and the voice acting was good.

bad helpful review:

this was pretty bad, the animation was poor and needs some much better voices, work on that.

Good unhelpful review:

that was good

bad unhelpful review:

that was bad

good, abusive review:

OMFG AWESOME I WANT MORE IF YOU DONT MAKE MORE YOUR DEAD

OFMG VISIT THIS FREEWEBS WEBSITE WWW.FREEWEBS.COM/CRAP

Bad, abusive review:

that sucked ball go die faggot.

keep in mind that just because the reviewer thinks the movie is bad does not neccesarily mean that the review is abusive, there is a difference between good and helpful, and bad and unhelpful/abusive.

ScottTowels
ScottTowels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 11:36:07 Reply

At 3/12/05 09:23 AM, Miles11 wrote: Wow, so everyone is finally unreview banned? I was a while ago but I'm happy for all those people. :D

Almost everyone. The people that link spammed and some special cases aren't. :)

I myself think it is a bit stupid to have to wait to be manually unbanned by an administrator, which means it would've taken months, maybe even years to get unbanned, there should be a ban system like in the BBS, limited to time and it tells you how long till you are unbanned, but not within the limit of 7 days, say....1 day for each abusive review found?

That's not long enough. If you want the users to learn something from their ban, you will probably need to ban them longer. Approximately 1-2 months would be good. 8-10 months is just ridiculous unless the user really deserves it.

Panthar-1
Panthar-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 11:40:04 Reply

OoOoOoOooH I get it now thanks ^.^

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 11:58:46 Reply

At 3/12/05 11:36 AM, Sakurazukamori wrote: That's not long enough. If you want the users to learn something from their ban, you will probably need to ban them longer. Approximately 1-2 months would be good. 8-10 months is just ridiculous unless the user really deserves it.

you'l find many users end up leaving 7 to a 30 worth of abusive reviews, I think its unfair that a single review will get you banned for 2 months, the more bad reviews left, the longer the ban, the harder the lesson to learn, you see? I think that would work better, and yes, there are normal bans, then there are spam bans, those spam ban'd deserved to have their accounts deleted and maybe even an IP ban.

Dekathos
Dekathos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 12:05:04 Reply

Oh come on. The review guidlines are self explanatory. If any of the rules there are broken, they are abusive and I think the big problem is people just don't read them. If the review is bad but doesn't break the rules then it's unhelpful.

WADE! I asked before if I could be a review mod. I had a long conversation with Ramagi a while ago about it and I think I can be a good one. Unless you don't need the extra help. I just want to know. Should I email you?

Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 12:13:32 Reply

At 3/12/05 07:38 AM, ramagi wrote: Well I hope anyoen that was banned will make sure to reread the rules, so they can avoid it in the future.

I know for 100% sure there will be some people who will just start over again. *Sigh*

At 3/12/05 09:12 AM, RedCircle wrote: By the way, as a Review Mod, banning reviews for personal reasons has never crossed my mind. I've always maintained an objective mindset.

I hope you never will. Because you need to be neutral. You just need to see if the user crossed the rules/guidelines.
But I bet you already knew that. ;)

ScottTowels
ScottTowels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 12:18:26 Reply

At 3/12/05 11:58 AM, Miles11 wrote: you'l find many users end up leaving 7 to a 30 worth of abusive reviews, I think its unfair that a single review will get you banned for 2 months, the more bad reviews left, the longer the ban, the harder the lesson to learn, you see?

I think it's fair. Many users don't understand why they are banned because the review ban system doesn't include the necessary box which tells why you are banned. They need to read the review rules or ask a question to an admin/ a review mod/a regular to understand why they are banned. Most of them don't instantly do this so it takes a longer period than only one day to learn their lesson. Right now, the bans are unlimited so 1-2 months bans don't sound too bad (the banning period wouldl probably depend on how abusive the reviewer was so it could be longer).

If your suggestion is considered then a newcomer with only 6 very abusive reviews would be unbanned after 6 days... that's obviously not long enough. He certainly deserves a second chance but not during the same week, especially if he didn't learn his lesson yet.

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 12:26:52 Reply

At 3/12/05 12:18 PM, Sakurazukamori wrote:
At 3/12/05 11:58 AM, Miles11 wrote: you'l find many users end up leaving 7 to a 30 worth of abusive reviews, I think its unfair that a single review will get you banned for 2 months, the more bad reviews left, the longer the ban, the harder the lesson to learn, you see?
If your suggestion is considered then a newcomer with only 6 very abusive reviews would be unbanned after 6 days... that's obviously not long enough. He certainly deserves a second chance but not during the same week, especially if he didn't learn his lesson yet.

then we could add something else, if you are banned a second time, it would be 2 days for each abusive review, then 3, then 4, and so forth...you see? if they don't learn the first time round, teach them a much HARDER LESSON...

doorknobopener
doorknobopener
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 12:28:57 Reply

This is great that for this week I can leave reviews again thanks wade. I read the rules but what I said in the review just had to get out. The guy thought he was a great flash maker and the thing was terrible and he only got by one high ranked user. Does anyone know what this flashes real name is. It's like Angry Rolling Man's adventure??

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 12:41:14 Reply

At 3/12/05 12:28 PM, doorknobopener wrote: This is great that for this week I can leave reviews again thanks wade. I read the rules but what I said in the review just had to get out. The guy thought he was a great flash maker and the thing was terrible and he only got by one high ranked user. Does anyone know what this flashes real name is. It's like Angry Rolling Man's adventure??

the reviewing system is to help bad authors improve their work, not insult them. and also to complement and critisize good authors.

Mr-Fluffykins
Mr-Fluffykins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 12:48:40 Reply

What about rude and offensive review responses?

LSD!

BBS Signature
Kitsune2006
Kitsune2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Filmmaker
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 12:48:45 Reply

At 3/12/05 12:41 PM, Miles11 wrote:
At 3/12/05 12:28 PM, doorknobopener wrote: This is great that for this week I can leave reviews again thanks wade. I read the rules but what I said in the review just had to get out. The guy thought he was a great flash maker and the thing was terrible and he only got by one high ranked user. Does anyone know what this flashes real name is. It's like Angry Rolling Man's adventure??
the reviewing system is to help bad authors improve their work, not insult them. and also to complement and critisize good authors.

That is true. But alot of members did it just to piss people off. Remember that ROFLLMAO BS in the portal? They weren't gonna improve their work. Basically there is gonna be alot of negative reviews because that pisses us all off.

juraj
juraj
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 13:03:24 Reply

At 3/12/05 09:23 AM, Miles11 wrote: 1 day for each abusive review found?

Nope. 2 weeks for each abusive review sounds better. Review bans need to be more harsh than BBS bans.

~juraj

Dekathos
Dekathos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 13:08:26 Reply

At 3/12/05 12:48 PM, DarkFox101 wrote:
That is true. But alot of members did it just to piss people off. Remember that ROFLLMAO BS in the portal? They weren't gonna improve their work. Basically there is gonna be alot of negative reviews because that pisses us all off.

It doesn't matter. We are to follow the review guidelines no matter how shitty the movie! If someone puts something on NG to piss people off---- DUH don't oblige them by giving them what they want. Can't you think of constructive critisism without the insults? The movie sucks? Stick to bashing it and the guidelines. Leave the author be.

Dekathos
Dekathos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 13:10:17 Reply

At 3/12/05 01:08 PM, Dekathos wrote:
At 3/12/05 12:48 PM, DarkFox101 wrote:
Stick to bashing it and the guidelines.

Errr..... I mean stick to the guidelines not bashing the guidelines. :P

Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 13:14:43 Reply

At 3/12/05 12:48 PM, Mr_Fluffykins wrote: What about rude and offensive review responses?

I've seen some reviews who were just fine. They gave their opinions, but kept to the guidelines.
The author's repsones was making it abusive. So I think it would be rather nice that you can also mark an abusive review-respones.

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Animator
Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 13:20:14 Reply

At 3/12/05 01:03 PM, juraj wrote:
At 3/12/05 09:23 AM, Miles11 wrote: 1 day for each abusive review found?
Nope. 2 weeks for each abusive review sounds better. Review bans need to be more harsh than BBS bans.

~juraj

read my previous statement.

then we could add something else, if you are banned a second time, it would be 2 days for each abusive review, then 3, then 4, and so forth...you see? if they don't learn the first time round, teach them a much HARDER LESSON...

I think 2 weeks per abusive review right away is a bit extreme, we are looking at this...

1 review: 2 weeks
10 reviews: 20 weeks
26 reviews: 52 weeks.

we're trying to avoid rediculous year long reviews here, some members may be leaving loads of abusive reviews before they are punished.