00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Bans & Abusive Reviews

19,069 Views | 160 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 01:36:24

First off, if you are in the Austin, Texas area be sure to click the link at the top of this page to check out Tom's schedule as you maybe able to meet him!

Tonight I have finally cleared out all of the abusive reviews that were flagged as abusive and were abusive. I have also set all the review bans to be lifted, if it doesn't crash NG trying to lift the bans on all 1,587 accounts. Yeah, that's a lot of people writing a lot of nasty reviews. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes and will submit proper reviews in the future.

I encourage all our users to be on the look out for reviews that violate our REVIEW GUIDELINES and mark them as ABUSIVE. Just click the ABUSIVE link under the review. You will have to be logged in. If you don't have a Newgrounds account just click the JOIN NG link at the top of any NG page, it's FREE!

Users who help mark abusive reviews as abusive will be rewarded with positive whistle points which can increase your whistle level. By doing this you will have more weight when flagging reviews as abusive, and blowing the whistle on Under Judgment Portal entries. However, users who mark non-abusive reviews as abusive will get hit with negative whistle points which will pull your level down quickly and possibly result in a broken whistle. :) Don't let this make you nervous about flagging reviews that you feel violate our guidelines. It would take several users to make the same mistake, so usually this only happens to people who are truly malicious and trying to cause trouble.

Once a user's review ban is lifted all of their reviews can be seen again by the public. So we may have a flood of abusive reviews returning. We are working on an improved review system so our review moderators have more power to remove abusive reviews on the spot. If you have any questions please leave a comment.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 01:39:51

Wade, you're always up to no good >:(

But seriously, thanks for the hard work my brother...

Make love to me?

I've been refurbished and reissued, prepackaged and precooked, decontaminated and deloused, but I still smell, sound, look and feel like shit.

New to the video game forums?

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 01:40:24

Damn that's alot of banned users

keep up the good work wade

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 01:44:09

Does it actually make a difference when I mark a review as "not helpful"? It always felt like the who cares choice between the three. Secondly, kudos on the raised power for the review mods. They more than anybody should be able to delete abusive/harmful reviews. There's more abuse on the reviews than there is on the BBS. :)

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 01:50:53

Nice.

fuck you

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 01:54:07

At 3/12/05 01:44 AM, Incredible_Hulk wrote: Does it actually make a difference when I mark a review as "not helpful"? It always felt like the who cares choice between the three. Secondly, kudos on the raised power for the review mods. They more than anybody should be able to delete abusive/harmful reviews. There's more abuse on the reviews than there is on the BBS. :)

Not really. If it's abusive, mark it abusive. If it doesn't break any rules, but it isn't a helpful review just mark it as "not helpful" if you want.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 02:13:44

I honestly don't know what review got me banned cause I've not written any abusive ones that I can remeber. Do you know which one got me banned Wade?

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]

XBL / PSN - Voidist

Malice is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 02:13:56

Sounds good, and glad to see some review bans getting cleared i know a few people that will make happy, and like always ill try and mark some more abusives as i see them...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 02:19:43

Finally, i'm unbanned!

I'll make sure to stay careful from now on.

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 02:52:15

Wade, saying it yourself, that marking a review as not helpful does virtually nothing.
Why not make it do something? Maybe so the user is able to organize the reviews by clicking a button to see the most helpful reviews or the least helpful reviews and the abusive reviews. Along with that you could add organizing it by date as the default, organize by username, organize by reviewer with the most experience, most reviews.

This would help get abusive reviews to your attention to have the removed when it is easy to pick out what fellow users have to feel about it.

Just a suggestion.

Maximus Decimus Meridius

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 03:04:00

You might block my IP, but you can't ban Wade Fulp from my heart.

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 03:08:47

At 3/12/05 02:19 AM, _MessiaH_ wrote: Finally, i'm unbanned!

I'll make sure to stay careful from now on.

You can start by not freaking voting your own reviews as being helpful. Jebus, every single movie you have on your profile from the second page onwards has a "helpful" vote on it- even your pathetic one-liners which aren't remotely entertaining. Did you seriously take the time to paw through each and every one of your worthless reviews, or did you recruit a friend? And no, I didn't. I l was curious what kind of reviews get you banned, and after looking at the second and third page, I went to the last page, and sure enough, even your very first reviews have votes on them. Sad.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 03:14:11

Is there anyway to see the amount of whistle points we have, instead of the rank?

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 03:31:53

Wow, i saw few people in the 'Top Reviewers' thread in the Wi/Ht? Forum that lost like 60 reviews!
Luckly i only lost 4, so i had an easy recovery :P
Its great you're working so hard on getting the bads out of newgrounds and keeping & bringing the goods :) Thanks for that!

Anyways, if i may, i'd like to ask a question i havent seen before.
On NG Alpha, you have to write a date to when your flash is released. The problem is that i can't know when will it be released, because i don't have orginized times that on them im working on...
So can i just put a random date, and it will be ok even after the date passed and i have'nt submitted my movie yet?
Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 04:11:10

At 3/12/05 03:14 AM, someone_else wrote: Is there anyway to see the amount of whistle points we have, instead of the rank?

We currently can't check our amount of whistle pts. Only the whistling icon. :(

The mods found a way to calculate their whistling power (which is a different stat based on the power of one of the whistle's level, I think that it's silver or deity.. I can't remember) but it seems that normal users can't check their whistling power.

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 05:03:01

Thanks for all the hard work you have put in Wade, i can't wait to see the new review moderator system in place.

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 05:44:47

1587 abusive reviews? Damn, that is a hell lot, but looking at the amount of abusive reviews I've seen, it seems to be possible. People better learned their lessons from their bans.

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 05:54:23

At 3/12/05 01:36 AM, WadeFulp wrote: We are working on an improved review system so our review moderators have more power to remove abusive reviews on the spot. If you have any questions please leave a comment.

I don't like the sound of that. I think that it would be too easy for review mods to abuse their power and delete reviews simply because they don't agree with them or other bogus reasons. Please keep review removal for admins only.

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 05:57:20

Wow, you work REALLY hard.
(Did that sound sarcastic?)

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 06:08:59

At 3/12/05 01:39 AM, DirtySyko wrote: Wade, you're always up to no good >:(

But seriously, thanks for the hard work my brother...

Make love to me?

no bitch he's mine!!!!!
*scratches*

ok that makes sence i guess,i havent flagged anything in almost two months and a week ago when i looked i had a garbage whistle,then about 3 days ago when i looked i had a silver one.

thnx wade,i was really getting tired of that garbage whistle :D

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 06:16:20

At 3/12/05 05:44 AM, Bahamut7 wrote: 1587 abusive reviews? Damn, that is a hell lot, but looking at the amount of abusive reviews I've seen, it seems to be possible. People better learned their lessons from their bans.

No... that's 1587 banned users. Abusive reviews? I bet there was at least 5k of them.

~juraj

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 06:25:55

At 3/12/05 06:09 AM, Grandfather-Clock wrote: hooray! my 8 month ban is finally over!

now to leave some hawt reviews :o

LOL, I just saw a one word review made by you today. XD

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 06:26:53

At 3/12/05 01:36 AM, WadeFulp wrote: lift the bans on all 1,587 accounts.

I'm willing to bet, at least one of those people has gone and made an abusive review since. Why ? Because some of them don't know what they did wrong last time, so they don't know not to do it again. I know, as stupid as it sounds, but it's true. Maybe when someone is review banned, the mod should be able to leave a reason for their action ? Much like on the BBS. I'm sure it would help people reform, and hopefully learn from their initial mistakes.

this only happens to people who are truly malicious and trying to cause trouble.

I see this shit happening a lot with illwillpress movies. People that think he does fuck all hard work dislike him, and as a result mark down any constructive reviews left. Bah.

FUCK

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 06:46:23

Holy shit. More then 1500 abusive reviewers...

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 06:58:32

At 3/12/05 06:38 AM, Grandfather-Clock wrote: omg shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Oops!

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 07:35:14

At 3/12/05 01:44 AM, Incredible_Hulk wrote: Does it actually make a difference when I mark a review as "not helpful"? It always felt like the who cares choice between the three. Secondly, kudos on the raised power for the review mods. They more than anybody should be able to delete abusive/harmful reviews. There's more abuse on the reviews than there is on the BBS. :)

Yeah, not helpful is like voting 2 or 3, but less so, I get the impression. I mean, if it's abusive, you want to mark abusive, if it's helpful you might want to mark helpful, but what do you get out of saying that a review isn't helpful, but isn't abusive either?

BBS Signature

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 07:38:23

Well I hope anyoen that was banned will make sure to reread the rules, so they can avoid it in the future.

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 07:47:32

Cheers Wade, Spancker is back.
FUCK YEAH!

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 08:26:49

Yay!! All your whistle points are belong to me! I know it will probably take a VERY long time until I can get a gold whistle, if ever :(

Response to Review Bans & Abusive Reviews 2005-03-12 09:12:47

At 3/12/05 05:54 AM, EKRegulus wrote:
At 3/12/05 01:36 AM, WadeFulp wrote: We are working on an improved review system so our review moderators have more power to remove abusive reviews on the spot. If you have any questions please leave a comment.
I don't like the sound of that. I think that it would be too easy for review mods to abuse their power and delete reviews simply because they don't agree with them or other bogus reasons. Please keep review removal for admins only.

You do realize how retarded your comment is, EK?

There are tons of people who just LOVE to post malicious links to sites. The quicker those reviews get deleted, the better off people are when browsing NG.

If the Review Mod tools were as good as the BBS Mod tools, then there would be a lot fewer visible abusive, malicious, or spammy reviews.

By the way, as a Review Mod, banning reviews for personal reasons has never crossed my mind. I've always maintained an objective mindset.