Respond to this Topic
ilovedisney5
ilovedisney5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 21:11:13 Reply

no offense but sometimes i think wade should b suckin dick with dem fags in san francisco so you should have gone instead of tom. lol i'm jus kiddin i know you have wife an a daughter an you're completely straight (i think). but any way.... it's a good thing that you're doin this cuz a lot of people r spammin with reviews on flashes especially hentai an their accounts should b review banned.......

AngryToaster
AngryToaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 21:14:01 Reply

Bleh, I hate spammers.

Wade, if you read this, will you be on XBL tonight?

TheTengu
TheTengu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 21:20:38 Reply

A-HOLES!

Sig by: CUBrt

BBS Signature
Flash-Cat
Flash-Cat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 21:27:52 Reply

he means cyber-wars.com or something iam soo getting sick of that its about time some1 did something

j00bie
j00bie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 21:38:42 Reply

That Cyber wars guy is really turning into a pain... even after he was deleted he came back.

AloneInTheDark
AloneInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 21:45:11 Reply

At 3/9/05 08:34 PM, WadeFulp wrote: You can by all means promote your own website. We just don't want people spamming links to other websites because they are being paid to do it or benefit in some way. You should be linking to your personal website.

But i dont get it, can we still post a link to our personal website with our own flashwork on it?

j/k

BBS Signature
JudoHobo
JudoHobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 21:49:47 Reply

(By the way, SurfJunky is a scam)

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 21:52:56 Reply

At 3/9/05 09:08 PM, stevezarebski wrote: I'm glad wade is helping rid the portal of spam finally

Finally? He has been for YEARS. O_o

The whistle system isn't exactly new, after all. And Wade's cleared out tons of whistled movies MANY MANY dozens of times before. This is just the latest round of that, PLUS he wanted to make a statement about authors who are linking to sites BESIDES their own sites in their flashes.

It's just as bad as link spammers who put links in their reviews, IMO... if not worse, because you can just click it by accident and BOOM... whereas with the link spammers in reviews.... at least the person has to be stupid enough to copy the text and paste it into a URL slot on their web browser.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 22:28:03 Reply

At 3/9/05 09:38 PM, j00bie wrote: That Cyber wars guy is really turning into a pain... even after he was deleted he came back.

I don't think he'll be going away anytime soon. One of the links in a flash releated to this mess has given me a nasty virus of sorts. And I'm still having trouble getting rid of it. >:( People who do this kind of stuff need to be portal banned, but I'm sure they will find a way around it.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
j00bie
j00bie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 22:57:01 Reply

At 3/9/05 10:49 PM, Tal-con wrote: maybe he'll even delete the Daily Toons <crosses fingers>

You just cant keep your mind off that subject, CAN YOU

DailyToons hasnt broken any rules at all whatsoever.. they dont deserve to be deleted, and im sure this has been mentioned several fucking times.

We are getting a collection, it is already being made... Zero and I have been keeping in touch with Shok (FDA) for quite a bit now... It is happening... and so are Daily2oons...

Just dont watch them and stfu, kthx.

ilovedisney5
ilovedisney5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 23:20:08 Reply

At 3/9/05 09:11 PM, ilovedisney5 wrote: no offense but sometimes i think wade should b suckin dick with dem fags in san francisco so you should have gone instead of tom. lol i'm jus kiddin

p.s. i wasn't kiddin

n0ir
n0ir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 23:20:13 Reply

At 3/9/05 09:52 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 3/9/05 09:08 PM, stevezarebski wrote: I'm glad wade is helping rid the portal of spam finally

We have review mods, audio mods, and bbs mods. Why we don't have some sort of portal moderators bewilders me completely. This would also save Wade oodles of time to commit to improving other aspects of the site. Such a moderator would be able to unflag unfairly whistled portal entries.

BBS Signature
Dukeonurshoe
Dukeonurshoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 23:25:33 Reply

At 3/9/05 09:11 PM, ilovedisney5 wrote: no offense but sometimes i think wade should b suckin dick with dem fags in san francisco so you should have gone instead of tom. lol i'm jus kiddin i know you have wife an a daughter an you're completely straight (i think).

stfu wade is chill, and anyways all of em need to come to DC and give speaches there!! haha wishful thinking but possible! ohh and thx wade for crackin down on all the spam

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 23:29:30 Reply

At 3/9/05 11:20 PM, black_power_ranger wrote:
At 3/9/05 09:52 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
We have review mods, audio mods, and bbs mods. Why we don't have some sort of portal moderators bewilders me completely. This would also save Wade oodles of time to commit to improving other aspects of the site. Such a moderator would be able to unflag unfairly whistled portal entries.

Review mods were able to unflag unfairly whistled portal entries from March of 2004 to June of 2004. I myself unflagged around 6 or 7 movies, I believe, in that 3 month period.

For some reason that was never told to us, the admins turned off that feature.

As for portal mods, Wade already addressed this in his other current frontpage topic:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=240966

Specifically, the post midway down the first page where he says this:

"At 3/9/05 02:05 PM, Zendra wrote:

Wow. That would clean the Portal indeed. Maybe you should make a new moderator function, so they can do that work for you...

You think? We already want to do this. We have wanted to do this for a long time. There are many features we want to add to the site. The problem is these things take time and LilJim is very busy with more important features. Hopefully once some of the major new features he's working on are done we can spend some time beefing up our moderator tools."

Obviously it's just a matter of time and work before review mods can do different things and before a portal mod system is set up as well, blackpowerranger.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
n0ir
n0ir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 23:31:55 Reply

j00bie

I agree. Dailytoons is fucking brilliant and very its entertainment : consistancy ratio is rewarding to the authors and the audience. I think dailytoon haters should enjoy such a commitment from you guys. <3

At 3/9/05 11:20 PM, ilovedisney5 wrote:
p.s. i wasn't kiddin

Job: touching myself

real mature of you, skippy.

BBS Signature
ScottTowels
ScottTowels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 23:32:58 Reply

At 3/9/05 10:57 PM, j00bie wrote: DailyToons hasnt broken any rules at all whatsoever.. they dont deserve to be deleted, and im sure this has been mentioned several fucking times.

Quoted because it's true.

I'm tired of people that keeps arguing about how much they want the dailytoons to disappear. To all the haters, they dailytoons are probably going to stay on the portal so deal with it.

You don't like them? Fine. but complaining about them all the freakin time on the BBS won't change anything for the better... it doesn't help anyone.

.... *sigh*

-----------------------

heh, another warning to the link spammers. Hopefully, they will read Wade's warning and respect it. If not, then they know what will happen and they deserve it.

n0ir
n0ir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-09 23:37:34 Reply

At 3/9/05 11:29 PM, gfoxcook wrote:

Review mods were able to unflag unfairly whistled portal entries from March of 2004 to June of 2004. I myself unflagged around 6 or 7 movies, I believe, in that 3 month period.

I had no clue about that.
I am a fairly oblivious person when it comes to little things like that.
[I just recognized the 'characters remaining' feature yesterday . ]
was it in a front page post? Non of you guys ever brought it up again to the admins?

Obviously it's just a matter of time and work before review mods can do different things and before a portal mod system is set up as well, blackpowerranger.

I was in that thread, but ,sadly, didn't get to read through it all.
I am glad the crew is thinking of implamenting such features -
I think it will really improve the portal system.

thank you for the informative response, gfoxcook. :)

BBS Signature
retr0smash
retr0smash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Filmmaker
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 00:13:53 Reply

At 3/9/05 08:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Be sure to read my post below if you were planning to attend the IGF show in San Francisco that Tom was attending! It is NOT free and open to the public like he originally thought!

We have recently had some people spamming links to websites, other than their own personal website, in the comments for their portal entries and also in their reponses to their entry's reviews. I won't mention the website, but it stars with Cyber. Anyone submitting content to the Portal in an effort to promote these types of sites will have their accounts terminated on the spot.

We are not telling our Flash artists to stop promoting their own personal websites, or websites that feature their work. We are concerned with people spamming links to specific sites that are rewarding them for traffic and sign ups.

Yeah, Wade, I know who's doing that spamming thing. He's a guy known as "<deleted>" on Newgrounds, and yes, he's the one who spams. The thing that starts with "Cyber" as you mentioned, is his site. <deleted> keeps saying in his comments, "Go to Cyber-Wars.com!"
Wade, I think I've discovered our culprit...

OUT

BBS Signature
Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 00:38:50 Reply

Well I know some mods will become portal mods, probably ramagi, Denvish, TheJoe324, and among others who go there everyday. But who knows, lets just give liljim all the time he needs for his current work you know. I'm sure by summertime portal mods shall be afoot.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
Miikro
Miikro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 01:16:32 Reply

do they come up with a new version of this routine ever so many months?

Fuck it.

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 01:29:17 Reply

At 3/9/05 08:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
We have recently had some people spamming links to websites, other than their own personal website, in the comments for their portal entries and also in their reponses to their entry's reviews.

Yeah, stop spamming NG!!!

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

HellaBAD1
HellaBAD1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 02:50:22 Reply

So yeah, I attended the GDC and since I was there I went to the IGDF. Alien Hominid on two or three awards (can't remember as I'm rather drunk from the reception.) Gish won two, I believe, and Edmund proposed to his GF on stage and she said yes. Discuss, and now I must sleep.

DaveMan-CI
DaveMan-CI
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 04:05:05 Reply

Those sly dogs!

aids

BBS Signature
StCyril
StCyril
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 04:28:17 Reply

Yeah, ya know what the worst thing is with this lousy spam s*** is? Ok, one of the pop-ups I used to get alot was this damn spyware protection crap! Basically when ever it popped up, a program would open, or your CD drive would, and it would say "If this or that happens, You need Spyware protection" it got so annoying I went to the site of that crap to complain... right after I emailed the company, it said right on the site "Your email has been deleted, for assistance please enter the message boards with your ID number, if you are here to complain, we are not responsable for the advertisements that are going to your computer." ... yeah... then WHO TF IS RESPONSABLE!?

Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
Back-Door-Baron
Back-Door-Baron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 04:36:01 Reply

I haven't been on this site that long (just over a year) and I have seen that there are far too many links to websites in reviews, many of them not at all related to one's own personal website.

Greg, you mentioned that they've been working on this for years, but it really doesn't seem to make any difference. Even submissions will still get their say before anyone sees anything wrong with it. While I applaud this effort to rid the portal of spam, I honestly think that it is futile, as people will always find a way to promote a site in who's promotion said people will get some benefit.

Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum...

juraj
juraj
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 04:44:50 Reply

At 3/9/05 08:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have recently had some people spamming links to websites, other than their own personal website, in the comments for their portal entries and also in their reponses to their entry's reviews. I won't mention the website, but it stars with Cyber. Anyone submitting content to the Portal in an effort to promote these types of sites will have their accounts terminated on the spot.

Finally. Spam sucks, and if you want to get rid of it, be harsh to it.

BTW I've noticed that blammed flashes are still available on NG's fileserver (uploads.ungrounded.net). What does that mean? NG keeps blammed .swf files? You don't delete that crap?

Here's the proof.

This crap has been blammed
http://newgrounds.com/portal/rip.php?id=223964

And it's still available on NG's fileserver
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/...1&uj=1&w=550&h=400

WTF!?

~juraj

AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 06:25:14 Reply

One of these jerks (or I don't know if there were more than this one spammer) made a complaint thread in General about his account being deleted. I thought it was pretty funny.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 07:30:59 Reply

At 3/10/05 04:44 AM, juraj wrote: And it's still available on NG's fileserver
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/...1&uj=1&w=550&h=400

Give it an hour, it will say eventually say: "Someone is stealing our bandwidth".

#coys

BBS Signature
seanjames
seanjames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 09:25:54 Reply

Write a script that loops through the text before it gets submitted, then have it change the link to something like 'marthastewart.com' or something similarly lame :)

BBS Signature
PureLionHeart
PureLionHeart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Spam in Portal Entries 2005-03-10 09:54:14 Reply

They always find a way around the rules, don't they, eh? Well, hopefully this will come to a stop soon.

King Of Fighters '98: The Slugfest
"Nothing Is Perfect, Therefore Perfection Is Flawed." - Adam Lewis

BBS Signature