Respond to this Topic
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-05 16:01:30 Reply

Well now that voting has concluded and the results will be posted shortly, I have a couple of questions.

1) How will the results be posted? Will only the 5 winners be displayed, will the entire list of 150 nominated pieces of conted be shown in ranked order so that the person dead last (me) can be mocked and publicly humiliated, or will there be an in-between of the top 20 or 50 or so?

2) Will the five winners and possibly a handful of runners up-get awards for their pieces and/or profiles?

That's all.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-05 16:03:50 Reply

:...conted be shown in ranked order so that the person dead last (me) can be mocked and publicly humiliated, or will there be an in-between of the top 20 or 50 or so?

I meant CONTENT, sorry. :P

Thanks.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
EricTheRed
EricTheRed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-05 19:28:15 Reply

Aww man I be a great judge man but good for you and what about the $100 for the voters.

FrostedMuffins
FrostedMuffins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Programmer
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-05 22:44:52 Reply

I don't why I just thought of this, but it just came into mind. You know, Tom, how you were talking about not having professionals and people who get paid for making flash already win the awards, well, how does this system prevent that? Since you have little control over who wins (unless if a pro wins then you pick the next flash in line), how will you prevent this? And, when will you be announcing the winners, it's already the 5th at night.

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-05 23:09:45 Reply

At 3/5/05 03:44 PM, ScottHanstein wrote: Anyway, I hope I am not too disappointed by the Top 5 winners. I hope at least 1 movie I voted for makes it.

I kinda feel the same way. If at least one I voted for makes it, I'll be satisfied. I hope for more than just 1, but we'll see. There WERE 150 to choose from, after all. And tastes vary.

At 3/5/05 04:01 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Well now that voting has concluded and the results will be posted shortly, I have a couple of questions.

1) How will the results be posted? Will only the 5 winners be displayed, will the entire list of 150 nominated pieces of conted be shown in ranked order so that the person dead last (me) can be mocked and publicly humiliated, or will there be an in-between of the top 20 or 50 or so?

2) Will the five winners and possibly a handful of runners up-get awards for their pieces and/or profiles?

That's all.

On the page of the movies/games, you mean? That's a good idea, actually. In the author's profile as well wouldn't be too bad of an idea, but especially on the flash entry pages, if nothing else.

As for 1)... well, if Tom only announces the top 5, I think a lot of people are going to be clamouring for more info. Sure, if you were #6 or #7, it might hurt to have missed it by THAT much, but... even us non-author voters would simply like to see how the things we voted for did (unless we happened to nail the top 5, of course, in which case... CREEPY!).

On the other hand, if Tom ranks the entire 150... the bottom of the list is going to be a lonely place to be (though being nominated, of course, is still a big honour... I mean... A) your flash wasn't blammed, B) your flash got a good score, C) not only did it get a good score, it either got a daily top 5 award or was on the frontpage, D) as a result, it was nominated for the top 5 of February... it's kinda a win-win situation, yanno? Don't feel bad if you're nowhere near the top, man... you still did damned well to be on that listing of flash that we got to vote on!).

So... in short, I would like to say that your top 20, top 50, or whatever listing... is the best of both worlds. It provides a little extra info for all curious parties than just a top 5 listing would provide... and at the same time, if you're not on the listing but were nominated, you're not exactly alone. A majority of the flashes would be left out of the listing, so... yeah.

I'm hoping for the top 50, but even a top 25, 20, or 10 would be better than just the top 5.

All we can do is wait... and be surprised. Like I said before. #;-}>

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
OmegusInferno
OmegusInferno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-05 23:26:31 Reply

When are we going to see the results of our voting for February, and where will we see the results.

BBS Signature
FrostedMuffins
FrostedMuffins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Programmer
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-05 23:33:36 Reply

At 3/5/05 11:26 PM, thereisnospoon0413 wrote: When are we going to see the results of our voting for February, and where will we see the results.

Yeah seriosly, it's getting annoying! I hope they show more than just the top 5 winners. I wonder what Tom finally decided to do with winners under 18 and what to do if pros won.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-06 13:06:04 Reply

At 3/5/05 11:09 PM, gfoxcook wrote: On the other hand, if Tom ranks the entire 150... the bottom of the list is going to be a lonely place to be (though being nominated, of course, is still a big honour... I mean...

Oh, I know, I was just being silly. I totally expect to rank in the 60th-90th range, being a daily third and all. Anything higher would be a pleasant surprise, anything lower would fall into my pessimistic world view and would not upset any balances there! ^_^

BBS Signature
SirGaryColeman
SirGaryColeman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-06 16:42:55 Reply

Any chance we can get a timetable on when NG plans to put the winners up?

I know my chances of even breaking the top 100 are slim, but I'm still curious to know. It would definitely be cool if we get to see how many votes each entry got.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-06 18:48:17 Reply

At 3/6/05 04:42 PM, SirGaryColeman wrote: Any chance we can get a timetable on when NG plans to put the winners up?

Yes, just a little post to let us know when the rankings will be availible and possibly answer a few quesions about it would be a major blessing, and reduce the stresses of everyone waiting for the results.

BBS Signature
KyLuYa
KyLuYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-07 09:56:34 Reply

Whooo! i like what you have done with the voting system...now i can see what kind of damage im doing when i vote!

LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-15 06:26:26 Reply

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a question/suggestion pertaining to the voting and voters' qualifications:

Was B/P rank ever considered as a quota for eligibility? I would think this would make just as much sense, if not more, than verifying via experience points. Even if it were only the top 500 or 1,000 B/Pers, it would ensure only active, non-alt accounts were given voting status.

Personally, I'd like to see B/P rank be a qualifying stat along with experience points. I think it would help the overall quality(?) of the votes cast if someone such as myself (a relative noob) with a proven interest in viewing flash submissions, compared to the high exp. user who fifens the same movies every day for their points, to have a say in the judgement of the monthly prize flashes.

Someone please respond.

We gladly feast upon those who would subdue us.

BBS Signature
TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-16 01:11:51 Reply

No, not this post, the one just before it.

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Top Five February Voting! 2005-03-16 02:12:07 Reply

At 3/15/05 06:26 AM, -LazyDrunk- wrote: Was B/P rank ever considered as a quota for eligibility? I would think this would make just as much sense, if not more, than verifying via experience points.

The whole idea is that they wanted this to be a feature for the longt-time active members.

Anyone can rack up 100 b/s points a day, but it takes time to get to higher levels of EXP.

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature