Respond to this Topic
BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 18:14:23 Reply

At 2/27/05 12:29 PM, TomFulp wrote: I talked to some high school Flash classes this past week and found that while some of the students submit their work to Newgrounds, none of them have made it past the judgement phase. They all get blammed. The competition for placement on NG has definitely gotten tough over the years.

Well someone should tell them about the magic of mass voting. With getting a large group together, you can get pretty much anything through the portal. Otherwise, if you just leave it to the tough competition, then you better be pretty good.

ditysox
ditysox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 18:56:16 Reply

its kinda weird how Newgrounds has been the starting points of fame for alot of people!...first it was Mr.Fulp and Alien Hominid for Ps2...which i say is awsome ^^. Then there is the numa numa guy O_o...which i find kinda awkward how many people are obsessing over it...yea its funny...but there is nothing truely special about it. Lol. Then there is James and how he going to get a movie made by a Hollywood company, which is pretty damn awsome. Then there is many other things that have came up. I truely think that 2005 is going to be a seriously interesting year for NewGrounds. And i will be hear to see every minute of it :D

raitendo
raitendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 18:57:34 Reply

At 2/27/05 04:33 PM, ZerostarX wrote: Hello my good man :)

I am actually a fan of a NG user called WeekendUpdateAnchor. However, all his work gets blammed. We were really only able to save them through Dailytoons. Though it may not feel like the best time to plug in my series, but Dailytoons has given blammed artists second chances to have their work published (even though we get douchebag reviews all the time). And I have seen excellent artists leave Dailytoons (Aerdail aka NorthstarX is fucking incredible :D)

I guess what I'm saying is that the series that people take for granted (ie. Dailytoons, THE_FUN) are allowing people starting out with flash to have their work displayed.

And, of course, Daily2oons start May 1st :)

reason they get blammed is because they're not good enough! DailyToons and all that stuff is only a way for poor flash makers to pass judgement without improving their flashes! if they did that, they wouldn't have to rely on cheats and shortcuts...

yeah so more people get blammed but considering the ever increasing number of submissions, I'm wondering if this really is a problem? I keep thinking to myself that more of the stuff should be blammed. I mean, I don't want to waste time watching crap. who does?

AGH
AGH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 19:03:56 Reply

Lmao. I wonder how long this will last.

masterchief2888
masterchief2888
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 19:14:59 Reply

At 2/27/05 12:29 PM, TomFulp wrote: Tired of hearing about Numa Numa Dance yet? Too bad... It was on the front page of the NY Times this Friday! Crazy, eh?

wow thats crazy i gotta go pick up the Ny times ... Anyways im a flash beginner I hope the new section helps me and whats with numa numa how is the mass media learning about it ? its been a few years since the initial release so who is alerting the media?

Frank
Frank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 19:22:32 Reply

Numa Numa needs to die. It was funny the first time, but god damn, too much publicity....

Gobi
Gobi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 19:42:33 Reply

wow. in only a year of knowing about Flash, ive become part of the largest family on the web. When i first learned of Ng, i wasnt aware that it was a public submition thing . I thought a groupd of pros sat around making up shit. In fact, i didnt know how or wat they were using to make them. I remeber thinking, man , if only I could get a job just to put some ideas on that site. Soon enough however, i discovered the program was Flash, so i got it and within 2 days made my first movie. I submitted it to NG which made it thru ( Anti - Tabaco Comm. ) with a surprising score. And thus my love for Flash Animation and public critique began to grow on me. Now here I am nearly a year later with over 11 movies on NG and one with an award. Ng really brings out the best of us long time artist. ( ive been obsessed with art since they cut the cord ) and i spose this post is really to Tom. Thanks TOm , u really brought out the best of me man.

Gobi

GUTHRIE
GUTHRIE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Game Developer
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 20:13:28 Reply

At 2/27/05 12:31 PM, iLLiCit_JmBd wrote: Why does this keep going on, I will never know.

Numa numa dude = hawt faggot.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Email _ Xfire _ Steam _ facebook _ last.fm _ PSN _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ GUTHRIE

BBS Signature
DaveCu
DaveCu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 21:01:35 Reply

Tom, Rocket Drive which is on the front page of NG right now is made by a 15 year old, so kids CAN compete.

http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/221492

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 21:23:43 Reply

Tom doesnt wants Newgrounds to die :)

By the way, I like the new size of the posting window (when we type I mean).

Sweden-Forever
Sweden-Forever
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 21:39:49 Reply

the numa numa dance is not funny by one bit. honestly what fucking garbage

smartkid
smartkid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 21:50:48 Reply

Well, it's annoying to me because I have AOL. So, on the AOL news, it has a topic about that guy and on other sites, it talks about him too! It's getting really annoying!!

deleted-3
deleted-3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 21:52:51 Reply

It was good at first now it's just a lode of shit. It's now becoming "Halo 2".

SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 21:57:12 Reply

At 2/27/05 05:48 PM, meat_wad_3 wrote: sweet how is the post so brite.

Because that's Tom Fulp's magic administrator text that we can't have.

Minecraft server: proxa.co
PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download
Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
Grecoism
Grecoism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 22:22:33 Reply

thanx for updating that flash page. i might try that free flash trial, but it might just be depresing after the 30 days are up and i cant afored it so i might wait a while.

4leggedfreakonwheels
4leggedfreakonwheels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 22:27:02 Reply

Man We don't even have a flash class at our high school...Our school does not like technology lol. they don't get new things very often. atleast I'm done in 3 months! Then college to learn this stuff much better yay!

But yes it is harder to get past judgement but everyopen shoudl keep up the good work and keep on trying. You get on here sooner or later and no matter the score just having it on here is greater a feeling overall...and it is also funny to read your insults as an animator lol.

authenticsimpson
authenticsimpson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 22:50:41 Reply

well in newsgrounds numa numa news look here: http://newgrounds.com/portal/stats.html
Numa Numa Dance is 10th for all time reviews.

1. Alien Hominid 7,532
2. Hentai ~ SimGirls (beta) 6,913
3. Punk-o-matic 6,458
4. Final Fantasy A+ 6,151
5. There she is!!! 6,108
6. FF Tribute - Chocobo Mix 6,016
7. The Return of Ganondorf 5,773
8. Ganguro Girl 1.5 5,604
9. the skullkid 5,174
10. Numa Numa Dance 4,832

gamatek
gamatek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 22:52:33 Reply

why isn't madness interactive part of the top 10.

dubieman
dubieman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 22:56:57 Reply

i hate the numa numa its soo old and stupid i wounder why its so big now i mean we should all just forget about the numa numa. its good that its giving newgrounds publicity except now numa numas just like a musquito that feeds off our attention and if we just stop talking about it maby it will be more respectible. i also a glad that good artists are making movies now it is alsohelping with newgroundses reputation..............I WISH I WAS GOOD AT FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<deleted>
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 23:03:41 Reply

At 2/27/05 06:57 PM, mackan_ wrote:
reason they get blammed is because they're not good enough! DailyToons and all that stuff is only a way for poor flash makers to pass judgement without improving their flashes! if they did that, they wouldn't have to rely on cheats and shortcuts...

No, a lot of the Dailytoon artists do improve. It's better than simply discouraging the artist altogether

yeah so more people get blammed but considering the ever increasing number of submissions, I'm wondering if this really is a problem? I keep thinking to myself that more of the stuff should be blammed. I mean, I don't want to waste time watching crap. who does?

The reason why it's a problem is because this site is more than just about entertaining you. It's also a flash artist's community, and if it's difficult for people to get into it, then it's a serious problem.

jrmints
jrmints
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-27 23:46:08 Reply

everyday newgrounds grows stronger and stronger, maybe we should all join in a mass army together and attack something for some reason, REVOLUTION!!!

YoinK
YoinK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 00:44:40 Reply

This is great that newgrounds is getting more exposure because of some dude dancing/singing to some spanish song. heh, he didn't even have to draw anything in that flash... just dance and lip sing... that guy must feel like he's god now that he was on the front page of the NY Times.

Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!

YoinK
YoinK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 00:47:37 Reply

sorry for double post... but I google searched this.. The link brought me to a login system... so this will do.
NEW YORK REGION | February 26, 2005
Internet Fame Is Cruel Mistress for a Dancer of the Numa Numa
By ALAN FEUER and JASON GEORGE (NYT) News

very interesting.

Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!

JoeMaz
JoeMaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 01:04:02 Reply

At 2/27/05 12:37 PM, colourdeaf wrote: i cant believe you guys took off "Sally Cant Wait" from the front page, it was only there for 1 day ... its an amazing flash, instead Boobs Butt and Shoulder has been there for over a week or more! Keep the real quality flashes on the front page please!

Seriously, is 1 day even a valid amount of time for something to be on frontpage? I dont think I've ever seen anything last for that short of a time before

Butterflysmasher
Butterflysmasher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 01:12:53 Reply

At 2/28/05 01:04 AM, JoeMaz wrote:
At 2/27/05 12:37 PM, colourdeaf wrote: i cant believe you guys took off "Sally Cant Wait" from the front page, it was only there for 1 day ... its an amazing flash, instead Boobs Butt and Shoulder has been there for over a week or more! Keep the real quality flashes on the front page please!
Seriously, is 1 day even a valid amount of time for something to be on frontpage? I dont think I've ever seen anything last for that short of a time before

I'm just glad it got featured at all, I love getting all the reviews from people.

Great news about all the extra users and all, 2005 will be a defining year for newgrounds I have a feeling

DJRunaway
DJRunaway
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 01:35:00 Reply

At 2/27/05 12:29 PM, TomFulp wrote: I finally followed through and updated the Flash Help section, to feature more user submitted tutorials. There is a lot of helpful information on this page that will hopefully make the difference between getting blammed and getting the front page for some people!

Wow, thanks for putting my tutorials up there Tom :) I see you've also made some changes to the BBS (Characters remaining :) How sweet!)... Next thing? Audio Portal?
I'd love to see some changes... Cause ever since the moment I started to use the Audio Portal (2001/2002), nothing has really changed, except the appearance... Anyway, thanks again!

vagrant-fluke
vagrant-fluke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 02:01:45 Reply

congrats man. i've only recently joined NG and started learning flash but i've watched it grow for a few years now and the standard of the submissions is a real inspiration to me. hopefully you'll see some submissions from me real soon.

BBS Signature
TheIntern
TheIntern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 02:34:44 Reply

fukkin yea tom.NG is gonna explode,its doin so good.I will keep writing plugs in Blacklisted 411! magazine. I hope mor epeople oijn,this is terrific.I will be submitting my first flash soon,but I am a community person,not a flash artist, I am a writer,not animator.I love this terrific explosion of future fo rNG.Good luck!

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 02:36:04 Reply

Congrats on the publicity, I only wish that there was an online version of that news article.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

Wolfguy
Wolfguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NYTimes front page, etc. 2005-02-28 03:50:04 Reply

That. Really. SUCKS! DAMN IT! I told you people that it'd become like wassup, but does ANYONE listen to me?!? We could of prevented it... :`(