Respond to this Topic
LaqeurHed
LaqeurHed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 16:15:43 Reply

At 2/20/05 04:05 PM, SeeD419 wrote: The Numa Numa Dance and Newgrounds was mentioned repeatedly.

I expect that you also spoke of piconjo and teh 1337 philosophies of pwnism.

robfeldman
robfeldman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 16:26:57 Reply

<<Having your Flash seen by thousands (potentially millions) of people is the reward. Cash prizes are just the icing on the cake!>>

I agree Tom. The money should be an incidental of the assumption that love comes first.

Good idea and a great incentive to submit to Newgrounds, though. Maybe that should be the slogan:

"Submit to Newgrounds. Slave."

-Rob
Drshroud.com

Tancrisism
Tancrisism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 16:30:43 Reply

Wow. I am impressed. That's pretty selfless man. Go Tom.

Also, if you aren't 18, could you get a parent to do the transaction, or whatever?

Fancy Signature

Quimera
Quimera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 16:42:48 Reply

This rocks, I really want to finish Final Fantasy Mixed in Balamb 2 part 3 now!
Woooot
if i were to win! wooot! nice
maybe someday I could by my drawing tablet :D

Cash for your Flash

Quimera
Quimera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 16:53:10 Reply

Just a few questions (and if they have been answered, please post them somewhere visible :p)

--How will the priced flashes be chosen? Will the top rated flashes of the month enter the contest? The most popular? And how will the authors be notified :P?

--About voting, that's nice, a new voting method-- but who will vote? Newgrounds crew? Newgroundites? Any users? It would be nice to know...

--5-7

Cash for your Flash

morethanheroes
morethanheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 17:01:50 Reply

Now, with the whole legal issue a cheque can be issued to a minor. A cheque CAN NOT be issued to a minor within law if it is based off a contest. The was to avoid this? it's not a contest. Now say if you were selecting 5 flashes from the portal (not judged by quality etc) at random - then issuing said cheque would indeed be illegal. But the fact remains that this is not necessarily a contest. This is parying someone for quality work within a pool of submissions.

A perfect example of this is when I do designs/webdesigns/screen printing for a band. Usually it starts off as the band asking, say 20 people to make a design/whatever. Say they postes it on a forum, "<insert band name here> is looking for some new merch. We are currently looking for designers and designs. Anyone interested please submit to thisisnotarealemail@fake.com". They then go about selecting the top designs and those who are selected will receive the money and recognition. Of course sometimes I am directly asked... but this is still a popular choice to get a little variety within the designs.

This is basically the case with this "cash for flash" idea. You (aswell as the independant voting team/authors in the pool selected/ however this is decided to be chosen) are looking through multiple submissions ans selecting the top five (just as if a band were selecting the top designs) and issuing them the money and regonition for having the highest quality/best work.

Hey, and if not... some other suggestions would be...

1. Make the "minor prize" product. Whether it be signed Wall prints, AH figures, T-shirts, you name it. Giving product toa minor has absolutly no legal issues (unless of course its... a dildo.... or a mysterious envolope titled "nakey tommy tom")

2. Set up a $250 USD credit at the NG store. I know I, aswell as alot of people would love to receive that just as much as cold hard cash.

etc. etc. etc.

Either way - that's just my two cents. I know you'll figure something out and like I've said before; I'm stoked to see how this runs through.

much love,
-AlAdsit
xoxo

AntiClockClock
AntiClockClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 17:23:52 Reply

At first I thought it was kinda cool Tom, that you deciding to pay people $250, based on private votes (Probably Wade Fulp, Lil Jim, and the Retarded Mods) but then I thought to myself.. okay well if he is going to be giving money to the BEST submissions, more than likely those people are already getting paid for the shit they do, they don't need anymore money. Personally I would like to submit something this month but I don't have anything up my sleeve and I don't plan on making something mind-blowing that is worthy of $250. So I actually think this is not that great of an idea to do, not to mention there is going to be tons of underage kids sending in their shit submissions more than usual and attempt to have their daddy cash in the check *if they happened to win which is highly unlikely*. Blah, Tom, I wish you luck anyway, but your wasting your money. :P

kazul
kazul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 17:38:24 Reply

At 2/18/05 06:58 PM, TomFulp wrote:
My concern is legal issues. If we get an exceptional entry by someone under 18, we will have to consider our options. However, it is a bad legal move to just send a minor a check.

Well, I don't know how much trouble you want to go through, but you may be able to send it to the parent/guardians of the artist, if he/she is under 18. That should take care of most of the legal issues.

tru3sk8r
tru3sk8r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 17:39:32 Reply

Finally you're helping out people who send us wonderful things... Thank you... (even though i don't plan on sending anything...)

Johaaaaaaa
Johaaaaaaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 20:46:59 Reply

At 2/20/05 05:00 AM, Mr_Gobi wrote:
Manufacture a special preloader, or symbol or sOMthing , that you can download to indicate u wish to participate in the contest.. and/ or make it a rule you have to put your name within the flash .
just a though.

good though.

hey, what about "things" like miniclip.com and others ?
we lovenewgrounds, but they dont.
they submit convenient propaganda.

Johaaaaaaa
Johaaaaaaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 20:51:29 Reply

At 2/20/05 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: The intent is to award deserving users and not "corporate Flash". I don't think it will be a hard goal to maintain.

ok. now i feel better.

EZ3
EZ3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 23:23:22 Reply

YAA! Now legendary frog and walrus can pump out flash as a full time job.

gamatek
gamatek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-20 23:56:25 Reply

I dont really care about the money, if there are any animators/graphic designers that want to work with me in making a game please contact me, Im pretty sure we can get to the top, depending on the quality of the graphics (I can program, but I cant draw), so if happen to win you can have the money.

UndedPunkOfSatan
UndedPunkOfSatan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 00:10:44 Reply

i think that it is ok that you are going to start giving money to people how send cartoons and animation

SorryBadAccount
SorryBadAccount
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 00:28:57 Reply

Glad to see my idea has been so well received.
I'm really interested in seeing how this whole thing pans out.

Also, if the whole system is setup for flash artists but not professional animators/corporate studios, who determines what qualifies as a regular artist and a pro studio? That'll create a whole new level of bitching and moaning.

There's one week left to set some rules down. What's it gonna be?

yobrogotabuttler
yobrogotabuttler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 00:34:24 Reply

I am the sole owner of the company, so I can either pay the money to myself, or to other people. It's basically my money when it comes down to it.

I guess that means Wades just your little bitch. I thought you were equal on this site, but no, you're a selfish assole arn't you. i bet you act like a big hot-shot now too, then you think back to a kid and realize the person that started Newgrounds would probably kick your ass. this is more business to you than anything else. Poor Wade, help a brother out you're heartless

Maybe its time you get drunk and remenice, then you can change your business man asshole self

SorryBadAccount
SorryBadAccount
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 00:34:50 Reply

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot something.

For all of you people that think $250/month will make people start doing this as a job or any sort of means of income, you obviously know nothing about life after school. $250 is nothing compared to what is needed to pay rent, buy food, etc. It's enough for a prize, which is just what it's for. Nobody is gonna quit their day jobs to animate all day for a CHANCE to win $250.

If anybody is really going to dedicate all their time just because there's a monetary incentive, I feel sorry for you. You probably still ive with your parents and don't have to pay for rent, tuition, food, and every bill that comes with daily life.

$250 will help stimulate artists, but it shouldn't be the sole reason to do it.

unownedJR
unownedJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 05:44:50 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:15 PM, Vinstigator wrote: Hell yeah, perfect timing. I got a flash I've been working on for months and it's almost done. And since my last movie made front page (thanks again Tom!), I think I got a pretty good shot at this :D

um, why do you think you'll get something? you use other people's music and sprites and then combine them in a bad way. i think what tom meant was if you make something like fallen angel or arogancy then you get it. that's where all the talent is put

i guess i could try improving my drawing skills (or what i have of it) and enter but i'm only 15 so i can't get anything :(
then again my brother's 18 soon and he can draw better than the guy who made fallen angel so he'd have a shot maybe?

the flash on this account isn't mine

RubberNinja
RubberNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 08:16:03 Reply

Well all I can say now is that it sucks to be 17 =P.

FrostedMuffins
FrostedMuffins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Programmer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 10:24:54 Reply

Hey Tom! I went down to EB Games yesterday and I asked the guy at the counter how Alien Hominid was selling there. He said that every time they recieved a copy it got sold on the same day! I'm glad a preordered mine!

gamatek
gamatek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 15:38:12 Reply

Hey, Tom have payment via PalPal

P.S you need to update your alien homind ad, it still reads "Comming soon to a console near you" Its out already.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 16:20:31 Reply

At 2/21/05 03:38 PM, gamatek wrote: P.S you need to update your alien homind ad, it still reads "Comming soon to a console near you" Its out already.

It's still not out here in Europe...

#coys

BBS Signature
gamatek
gamatek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 16:21:35 Reply

should atleast have a choice between paypal and check

AnJeLiQ
AnJeLiQ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 16:46:37 Reply

At 2/20/05 05:01 PM, morethanheroes wrote:

2. Set up a $250 USD credit at the NG store. I know I, aswell as alot of people would love to receive that just as much as cold hard cash.

I think that is a *really* smart idea.

FatherTime89
FatherTime89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 17:20:23 Reply

At 2/19/05 03:11 PM, Tom_s00 wrote: Tom what will happen if somebody steals a submission and by chance it wins, but this is only made apparent after the money has been given to the winner....

If the author accepts the money and then we find it was stolen we could probably get him/her arrested for plagirism (we might be able to do with any stolen work but we should only do it in you're scenario since money's involved).

Openwounds
Openwounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 18:51:11 Reply

At 2/21/05 08:16 AM, Rubber_Ninja wrote: Well all I can say now is that it sucks to be 17 =P.

I agree.

Blah Blah Blah..

matRugDevelopments
matRugDevelopments
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 19:02:25 Reply

As long as the date of the entry is within Feb. we're good right? No crazy rules?

Pods 2010

WhiteMagic
WhiteMagic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 21:42:04 Reply

coolness, but will people be able to win more than once, maybe taking away the opportunity for others to win?

VINKORLEONE
VINKORLEONE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 21:45:02 Reply

At 2/18/05 06:43 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I have had a lot of trepedation about this idea. Once money is involved, things change. Artists will start to "do it for the money" and will be resentful when they don't win. If we start to pick up on that, we will eliminate the prizes.

that's gonna/gotta happen

0peth
0peth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 22:20:51 Reply

The bills must be expensive 4 so many users. This may bring popularity to the site or my bring greed

And just like that....he was gone...

BBS Signature