New Topic Respond to this Topic
Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:44 AM Reply

Has anyone heard the news on the new proccessor chip that Sony is coming out with for the new Playstation console? It is estimated to have 4 times the proccessing power of the Intel P4.

Not only that, they are going to sell it towards the computer market as well! You know they can't price it too insanely if its going to be in a console and they're going to have to market prices low enough to beat Intel and maybe even AMD out of the market!

I really can't wait to see how much it will (if any) surpass the new 64bit chips. I think if it blows the 64 bit out of the water, AMD and Intel both will have to come up with a new plan. Considering their 64bit model just publically released a little while ago.

Who else is excited?

<deleted>
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:46 AM Reply

At 2/12/05 10:44 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: Has anyone heard the news on the new proccessor chip that Sony is coming out with for the new Playstation console? It is estimated to have 4 times the proccessing power of the Intel P4.

Who else is excited?

yes and ME. i was reading about it the other day, it sounds ACE.

AngryToaster
AngryToaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:47 AM Reply

Heh, no matter how good it will be, the new Xbox will be ten times as powerful.

RoobyKillAll
RoobyKillAll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:48 AM Reply

I seriously can't wait for the new ps2, i recently bought the ps2-slim and i love it. I've had EVERY version of playstation...i just hope the ps3 is durable cause i have two younger brothers who like to break things...

Sony's new processor, I'm excited!!

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤[Rooby.22's Tunes]

BBS Signature
SlipperyMooseCakes
SlipperyMooseCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:50 AM Reply

Omfg, i gotta get that. O and your 17.

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:50 AM Reply

I trust Playstation more than anything. Gamecube is up there also, even though I never play it. I have 3 PS2's, 2 PS1's and 2 Gamecubes. I don't have an X-Box because I don't trust Microsoft to make game consoles.

I want someone who has always been in the business. Granted, Nintendo originally made playing cards, but they've been a big name since I was a kid as well.

Mr-Jon
Mr-Jon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:52 AM Reply

Im so excited and I just cant hide it *starts singing*

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:52 AM Reply

At 2/12/05 10:50 AM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: Omfg, i gotta get that. O and your 17.

Fine, I'll admit my real age. I am actually 15 and a half.

RoobyKillAll
RoobyKillAll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:53 AM Reply

At 2/12/05 10:50 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: I trust Playstation more than anything. Gamecube is up there also, even though I never play it. I have 3 PS2's, 2 PS1's and 2 Gamecubes. I don't have an X-Box because I don't trust Microsoft to make game consoles.

I want someone who has always been in the business. Granted, Nintendo originally made playing cards, but they've been a big name since I was a kid as well.

Exactly, i hate how microsoft just jumped into the consol gaming world. They should have just stuck to computer games. Granted--they do have a few great games, i only enjoy playing halo and halo two on system link...(w00t 8 players) but....where's t3h love microsoft....where's the love =(

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤[Rooby.22's Tunes]

BBS Signature
pr0de
pr0de
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:54 AM Reply

I thought the same chip will be in all of the next generation consoles?

EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:56 AM Reply

mmmmmm Sony chips :)

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature
Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 2/12/05 10:54 AM, unowned wrote: I thought the same chip will be in all of the next generation consoles?

Not that I know of. Why would Sony give an exploit to such a great invention on their behalf?

SlipperyMooseCakes
SlipperyMooseCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 11:00 AM Reply

At 2/12/05 10:52 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote:
At 2/12/05 10:50 AM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: Omfg, i gotta get that. O and your 17.
Fine, I'll admit my real age. I am actually 15 and a half.

I knew you where lieing, aren't you glad you got that off your chest now =)

wickedswami
wickedswami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 11:10 AM Reply

i'll stick to pc's anyway.. stupid to pay a shitload of money only to play games.. with a pc u can still do other stuff..(like dl/watch pron ..)

At 7/22/07 05:20 AM, Aci6 wrote:
1 day being one rotation of the earth around the sun.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 11:13 AM Reply

I'd like to see some sources. I've heard that the power has been wildly overestimated.

Also, I predict that the PS3 will stop functioning as soon as the first bit of syrofoam or cardboard packaging is removed from the box that it comes in.

pr0de
pr0de
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 11:15 AM Reply

Because IBM is producing it, and they're also producing chips for the other consoles.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 11:19 AM Reply

And who knows, this processor might actually just be a gimmick that sucks at doing graphics processing.

pr0de
pr0de
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 11:22 AM Reply

Like that fast train, but It couldn't work worth shit halling loads of cargo.
I don't know.

CaedaFera
CaedaFera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 11:38 AM Reply

At 2/12/05 10:51 AM, OsAmARaMa wrote: I will be playing my NES. Thank you very much.

All praise the almighty! The ancient! The all-powerful NES. *bows*

McPaper
McPaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Programmer
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 2/12/05 10:48 AM, roobykillall wrote: I seriously can't wait for the new ps2, i recently bought the ps2-slim and i love it. I've had EVERY version of playstation...i just hope the ps3 is durable cause i have two younger brothers who like to break things...

That picture reminds me something of halo?

BBS Signature
Krazy-Kanuck
Krazy-Kanuck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 12:16 PM Reply

sony is fuckin gay you fucking fagette

Bubba-Phat
Bubba-Phat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 2/12/05 10:50 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote:

:I have 3 PS2's, 2 PS1's and 2 Gamecubes.

Why would you buy the same console 2 or 3 times? That's such a waste of money...

the-blam-master
the-blam-master
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 12:23 PM Reply

PS2 sucked ass so PS3 will suck ass too.

Jossos
Jossos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 12:30 PM Reply

So Sony, being totally new on the processer market, would out compete a company that has always made them? Lolno. And power and ability is something totally different.

No more fucking moving .gifs? WHAT THE HELL. FUCK YOU.

BBS Signature
ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 12:32 PM Reply

I cant wait for the new sony console!!!!

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 01:04 PM Reply

At 2/12/05 12:21 PM, Bubba_Phat wrote: Why would you buy the same console 2 or 3 times? That's such a waste of money...

There is one in my basement/work out room, one in my room, and one in my brothers room. My brother bought a game cube which is in his room, and another one is in my living room. All of my old playstation 1's are in my basement for parties etc. where some more computers are at.

papaKLATZ
papaKLATZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Some people are so dumb. Why don't you show us some XBOX 2 statistics, instead of saying "it will rape ps3's, it will own ps3's"...Nobody ever said that PS3 will be better than XBOX 2, but you guys all of a sudden have to defend the XBOX. Shut up, and get your fanboy shit out of here.

And to the person that said power is different than ability...Power IS ability. It's the same thing. Explain how it's different.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 01:19 PM Reply

At 2/12/05 01:11 PM, Klatzko wrote: And to the person that said power is different than ability...Power IS ability. It's the same thing. Explain how it's different.

Different computers are good for different things.

For example, are you familiar with the quantum computer? When it is well-developed, it will be able to do complex calculations extremely quickly, but it wouldn't be good for say, a console.

The difference between power and ability is this: Power is how much the processor can actually do, the clock speed and so forth, ability is how good it is in real life performing whatever task it's being used for.

hector-complex
hector-complex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 01:43 PM Reply

yeah in the ps2 sony developed a new processor that supported dual data tunnels but the power couldn't even fill 1, big mistakes on game developers side. im glad they made a new chip of that power of that size. maybe they could use it for something else.
xbox is going to use 3 processors and a gpu, rumors are the processors are gonna be G5 (WOOT).
nintendo hasnb;t released any info except that the new system may have wireless controllers.

nXXt
nXXt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Sony's new processor, I'm excited!! Feb. 12th, 2005 @ 01:52 PM Reply

OK, just to clear stuff out.

The PS3 processor is called 'Cell'. It's not produced by Sony, it will be produced by IBM and Toshiba.

This CPU has been described as being 10 times as powerful as the P4. Also, it has been said the Cell will most likely run above 4GHz.

This is partially true, the Cell will probably run on more than 4GHz, but it's calculating power is about three times less than a P4 3.8GHz.

Apart from that, the Cell is entirely incompatible with x86, which means that if Cell will be introduced for PC's, all software needs to be rewritten.