TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 02:41 AM Reply

It has been a long night, but we have implemented the new post-voting front-end for the Portal. Now when you vote on a movie, you will be treated to a cute animation of Pico interacting with the .swf file. Registered users can also advance on the game board and deposit their experience points when they get to the end each day. We basically shifted the system from being a text-based RPG to a visual RPG. :)

If this goes over well there may be more fun stuff on the way. I am horribly vexed by one thing, though - when I made the .swf movie(120k), I figured it would be saved in peoples' cache so they would only have to load it once. Since the filename imports dynamic variables, however, the browser apparently doesn't know to cache the file. If anyone can help me "force-cache" the .swf with dynamic variables, I'm sure everyone would be VERY grateful!

While we were digging around in the Portal source code we decided to make another change that should please hardcore members... We removed the pop-under code that was on every page of the site, and changed it so it is only on every Portal view page. There are less pop-unders overall and "OH SNAP!", there's more! If you are logged in as a registered user, the pop-unders won't load at all. You will still get the occasional pop-up, but for the most part you will be livin' large.

In other news - Portal contributor Stitch has launched his own web site - check it out! You can kill kittens!

Go vote on some movies in the Portal and tell me what you think of the new visual voting system. Does it slow things down too much, or is it so fresh and so clean clean? I wanna add level-up animations, and bonus opportunities when you record your experience points... All sorts of madness... We'll see how it goes.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
RomikQ
RomikQ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 02:52 AM Reply

the pico vote movie is pretty cool, although the CHEATER alert is kinda stupid lol.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 03:00 AM Reply

At 2/11/02 02:52 AM, RomikQ wrote: the pico vote movie is pretty cool, although the CHEATER alert is kinda stupid lol.

Ya mean when someone tries to vote twice on a movie, or something else?

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
K-16
K-16
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 03:12 AM Reply

The new voting system is hilarious! Lots of fun. And thank you for the pop-up reduction. Hope that doesn't make an impact to the financial portion of your site though.

Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep

vibes
vibes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 03:18 AM Reply

The new voting animations are really neat. My only critism is that for people on dialups it's going to take more time to deposit every day. Also you might want to change it every now and then because I can tell the voting jokes are going to get very old very fast.

Other than that it's great. I really like how it includes the movie number and how much you changed the score by (with 3 decimal places! :-D). Great stuff!

Transformers
Transformers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 03:55 AM Reply

I like the new Pico voter animation.

xvllvx
xvllvx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:24 AM Reply

OK, I voted on at least 9 movies AFTER I logged in and I could not deposit my exp. points. However, it did NOT "slow" things down (I have a "slow" cable modem") I just would have liked to depost my Exp pts....... maybe Monday Night or Tues?

F8L
F8L
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:32 AM Reply

I really like the new Pico Animated Voting System thing. It makes it like a little game just voting on movies... The popup deal is awesome too! THANK YOU TOM!

EaStFaTaL-_

Anthony-john5
Anthony-john5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:47 AM Reply

I've just collected all of my experience points for today and absolutely love the new animations and I'm glad that you've got that little server problem sorted out as I could never get on before!

rvdsm
rvdsm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 06:09 AM Reply

The new system is good, but how is kilo going to be able to leave his signature reviews from now on?

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 06:29 AM Reply

Damn great Job Tom!! that kicks Ass!:)..

I love the whole layout, and the time and sound fits just perfect! (like the sparkles on the grenade, and the way the swf squashes and stretches!)

And That shadow at the end was an awesome surpize!:)

zipstyke
zipstyke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 06:45 AM Reply

:I wanna add level-up animations, and bonus opportunities when you record your experience points... All sorts of madness... We'll see how it goes.

Tom,

If so, make sure you do it so it loads from an external swf. cause i cant be fucked waiting 10 minutes to dl 500kb or whatever it gets upped too on my shitty modem. I have enough trouble trying to watch the movies, let alone waiting to deposit. And maybe if u can't get the cache thing working, you put a little _____ (underscores) at the bottom of the page, which the registerted users will know that that means that you can deposit your points that way. Just a thought.

And who did the anims... you? It looked like fan-art by some1...... And it is real cool. just the breakdancing is a biut blocky... sorry to be finicky.

byeeeeeeeeeeee

chakaflange
chakaflange
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 07:28 AM Reply

its all very cool but i have one important question....the old blam movie that plays when you delete a flash is still there isnt it? it makes my day when that comes up after i vote! i dont think i could handle it if you changed it. i'd cry!

KnottsberryClock
KnottsberryClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 07:32 AM Reply

Hehe, now ki1o can't make his 'thanks for voting' reviews.

Fatboy
Fatboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:06 AM Reply

Today is a good day, i win a signed football from a bowling fundraiser(my fave team an all!!) and now a an updated voting sysem, few popups, and NG seems to be loading faster than ever on my computer :) im so happy!!! Thank you Tom!!

BBS Signature
Tartyron
Tartyron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:06 AM Reply

Hey. just my own observation, but the new post-voting animation goes by too fast. you can't see the new score of the movie or how much your vote is worth, unless your a damn speed reader. if you could make it so the numbers stay on the screen, i think i'll all be primo. but thats just my opinion, i could be wrong.

Captain-Insano
Captain-Insano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:18 AM Reply

I think the new system is cool as hell. Pico breakin' once you reach the quota is funny too. Less pop-ups = good.

Damn weasels... i mean, meds.

Pointy
Pointy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:22 AM Reply

You rock

MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:37 AM Reply

:I wanna add level-up animations, and bonus opportunities when you record your experience points... All sorts of madness... We'll see how it goes.

i like madness.

REZN8
REZN8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:37 AM Reply

The deposit animation is mint! I especially like how you tweened Pico's body to animate it. If that is a glimpse of the type of animation in Pico 2 then it has been worth the 3 year wait =)

Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:40 AM Reply

The pico exp thing is sweet!
Good job Tom dude.

plantaTREEordie
plantaTREEordie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 09:07 AM Reply

i think the pico thing is ok..i just have to get used to NG changing. how about some tyrone stuff after you vote? tyrone is the man. more telebubbies goddamn it! i noticed that there aren't as many pop-unders..thanks. i guess i speak for all the potheads when i say "cool, pico breakdances".

someone please shoot me in the face.

Fultos
Fultos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 09:17 AM Reply

Whoa KEWL!!!

Mistah-Metool
Mistah-Metool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 10:13 AM Reply

hehehe, that was sweet!i cant wait to see pico 2!!!

Narcissus
Narcissus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 11:06 AM Reply

Awsome system. I like it. Perhaps you could add in some stats on how it changes our aura and/or how far dark or light we are.

fourchinnigan
fourchinnigan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Filmmaker
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 11:12 AM Reply

Here is an idea:
As time goes on, the animations may get boring.
You could set up a shared library with various Pico animations and whatnot. Then have it randomly grab animations each time. That way, people may see something new from time to time and the filesize should still stay relatively small. You could add to it whenever you feel the need without affecting the system much.

BTW, I like it. I just hope it doesn't cause any difficulty for folks with archaic dialup modems. :)

UND
UND
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 11:15 AM Reply

Hey Tom, that new visual voting this is kick ass!!! I liked how he "attacks" the movie file with the vote and then he takes a step. I'd like to see what would happen when I get a blam. I suppose he throws the vote and kills the movie. We'll see....

Septimus
Septimus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 11:22 AM Reply

At 2/11/02 02:41 AM, TomFulp wrote: If this goes over well there may be more fun stuff on the way. I am horribly vexed by one thing, though - when I made the .swf movie(120k), I figured it would be saved in peoples' cache so they would only have to load it once. Since the filename imports dynamic variables, however, the browser apparently doesn't know to cache the file. If anyone can help me "force-cache" the .swf with dynamic variables, I'm sure everyone would be VERY grateful!

I'm no expert on external variables, but couldn't you use the load variable command to gather variables in the vote.php (or whatever it is called) page that the swf is on? If you did it like that, the browser could easily call up the cached swf. But then again, you probably thought up something like that and it didn't work for some reason or another. ;)

JK512
JK512
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 11:33 AM Reply

The voting animations where cool...but add some more stuff, and keep the good work up!

komo
komo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 11:44 AM Reply

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there's this thing that tells us how much we have power, and how we effected the movie - we cant see it for enough time, put it throughout the whole animation plz.
aside from that - sweet!