Respond to this Topic
koji-catdemon
koji-catdemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 28th, 2005 @ 08:58 PM Reply

i'll be sur to remambah that in meh animations COMING SOON NEAR YOU!!!!!

P.S. i dont submit any in the next 30 day then forget i even say annehthin' ^_^;;

BondGamer
BondGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 28th, 2005 @ 09:07 PM Reply

For a flash site newgrounds sure lacks a good tutorial/tips section. It would be nice to have a page with all the best tips and tricks for flash optimization. Some examples of good optimized audio files would be good also.

EarthCrisis
EarthCrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 28th, 2005 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 1/28/05 05:26 PM, YoinK_VineS wrote: Converting from MP3 to wav definitely does the job. I have a program called shuffler converter.

No, not really A .wav file is bigger than an MP3 file, unless you convert to a .wav cut it down, then convert back into an MP3 using sound recorder in your accessories menu and EaseMp3converter.

DarkArchon
DarkArchon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 28th, 2005 @ 10:00 PM Reply

I almost ALWAYS set my sound quality to 16 kbps.

Dont forget, set the quality setting to BEST. It dosent make the file size any bigger, it just takes a micro-second longer to export the swf.

I have a movie that im working on, thats over 1 minute long, and its only 600kb in size because of good audio optimization.

My Email -- DarkArchon@Newgrounds.com ... LOL WOW this signature is ancient.

BBS Signature
pythagoras
pythagoras
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 28th, 2005 @ 10:00 PM Reply

At 1/28/05 05:23 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Remember, this is the Internet

we r on intrnet now? ?:/

pythagoras
pythagoras
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 28th, 2005 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 1/28/05 09:19 PM, EarthCrisis wrote: No, not really A .wav file is bigger than an MP3 file, unless you convert to a .wav cut it down, then convert back into an MP3 using sound recorder in your accessories menu and EaseMp3converter.

No, stupid face. Flash converts all audio files to .wav when they're imported, then exports them the the desired format when the movie is compiled. Flash's internal converter is horse shit and loses alot of quality, so converting sound files to .wav before importing prevents quality from degrading, but won't reduce filesize any.

UR BOFE RONG.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 28th, 2005 @ 10:19 PM Reply

At 1/28/05 08:18 PM, Denvish wrote: Heh. Glad I'm not the only one that does that.

*high-five*

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
smartkid
smartkid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 01:25 AM Reply

At 1/28/05 05:23 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Remember, this is the Internet and not everyone has a fast connection. Keeping things as stream lined as possible is very important.

Go Wade! lol, i got 56k, an Intel III Processor and only 548MgZ or MhZ (forgot which one). It takes me a long time to load some stuff, but i'm going to try to get a faster connection soon! anyways, could u decrease the file size as much as u can in the audio and especially the flash movies and flash games since that's what i load up a lot of times! tnx again!!

PowerRangerYELLOW
PowerRangerYELLOW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 01:36 AM Reply

What Audio Optimazation program would be recommend?

I use gold wave and can't get the audio compressed down to 32k or 16k without annoying audio hisses and hums.

SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 02:04 AM Reply

I didn't even bother for my submissions to the audio portal, the quality is so bad anyway....

Minecraft server: proxa.co
PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download
Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 03:16 AM Reply

At 1/28/05 05:23 PM, WadeFulp wrote: ... We have a 5MB limit, but that doesn't mean you should be lazy and submit a 4-5MB entry when it could be 500k-2MB....

Wow that's crazy compression for you.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

StrikerF2
StrikerF2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 05:18 AM Reply

Its a fairly good point, for some though, it is ok to have a big file sise like in Knox's flashes. too many jpegs( >.<)

BBS Signature
Markus
Markus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 06:23 AM Reply

most of the times, the largests flashes, are the crapyest. some short clip, but with a full song in it, uncompressed.

carmelhadinosaur
carmelhadinosaur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 07:23 AM Reply

Thanks alot Wade, i saved this thread on my favourites, because i hope it wont be too long from now till i'll need it! (Actually, i need it even now, but i'll do the optimization after the rest is done :P)

Anyways, if possible, please write Here , to agree that today, on 3 PM EST, you're going to be online on the NG BBS.
Thanks!

BBS Signature
Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 11:15 AM Reply

I really think this is a good thing, Wade. Because I've seen many entries that just where 20 or 30 seconds long, and had a filesize of 4.3MB. That is way to much, for a movie that is that short.

And what will you do, if you see movies that still ignore this?

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 11:36 AM Reply

Thanks for the reminder of Audio Optimization Wade. I remember watching a flash that was 4MB and there was only around ten frames in it, so the audio was making me have to wait for a little longer (I have Broadband, but waiting to watch a flash with a stupid size is annoying). I have told my friend who is starting to use Flash about this and I know he will be likely to optimize the audio. Once again, thanks for reminding everyone.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 11:52 AM Reply

I normally don't vote on movies that are over 3500 kb, unless I know who the author is and I like the author's works. Otherwise, it's probably a poorly optimised audio file. Because even on my DSL, it still takes a shitload of time to load a file over 3500 kb.

You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature
StripeNinja
StripeNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 12:14 PM Reply

THE MUSAQ IZ TEH BOBM NAM LIK TOALT CONRTOL EHEHEHEHEHEAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAAHAH

PIE

WOW that was fun now i don't really understand why you need to lowr this thingy and decrease the watchumacalit to the thingamabob.

Audio Optimization

seanjames
seanjames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 12:18 PM Reply

Bravo! Well said. Users submitting and protecting movies like Mystic Kiss are basically just saying a big 'FUCK YOU' to Tom and Wade, who have to pay for space to house that junk. If movies are large for a good reason, that's one thing. But submitting large movies just because you can is straight up disrespectful and inconsiderate.

I hope people take this seriously. The more we clog up the portal the more stress we put on Tom and Wade to keep this a free site. And I know that the same people who don't compress their audio just because they don't have to are the same sort of people who would complain the most if they had to pay to be on this site (not that Tom and Wade want to do that to anyone)

And while we're at it, quit submitting sound boards. Anyone who can find NG can also search for those wavs on the net on their own or buy the dvd and actually see the characters say the line. Soundboards are more large files for Tom and Wade to host that NO-ONE ever revisits once they leave the 50 recent.

BBS Signature
NodX5
NodX5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 01:57 PM Reply

i agree with this because even though i have cable conn i still dont want to wait an extra 45-60 secs to watch a movie that will be blammed... ya ya i know 45s is nothing but still... i dont want to waste time that i shouldnt have to

CodeRedClock
CodeRedClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 1/28/05 06:14 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We're mainly concerned about the higher quality productions that would have a chance of being featured. These entries will get a lot of views if we show case them and if they are not opitmized it's a shame to use up so much bandwidth because the author was lazy. We may stop featuring content that we feel isn't optimized. There are several entries on the front page right now that could probably be reduced in file size by 1-3MB's.

i agree wit wut ur sayin Wade...but like when i optimize some sound effects n music it takes away the kind of idea i was trying to create w/ the sound n it makes it not work well. i kno its hard on the servers so i do it anyway, but still lol..

btw Wade, does ur camera shop carry parts for a Canon GL2? I need some new stuff.

Fang325
Fang325
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 03:28 PM Reply

hes right i have a really crappy cpu so try to optimize the songs as best u can thnks

freenrich
freenrich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 03:55 PM Reply

I have a prob.
I submitted a flash earlier called tim and fred: donut and it got blammed. people who reviewed it said i should stream the sound it would be in sync with the flash. but when i did that the sound quality was rubbish. but when i put it back onto event it sounded fine. ive tried everything. could someone please help? this must have happened to someone else before. right?

iX
iX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 29th, 2005 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Ok, yea; I might do that...if I could only download something that converts MP3's to .WAV's, cuz I cannot change, or 'optimize' MP3's with SWISHmax. Nor can I download an .fla Preloader; you people need to think of other Flash studios out there! Why not put up stuff compatible with other flash programs and not just Flash MX; not all of us can afford 500 dollar programs, you know!

You-People-Are-Nerds
You-People-Are-Nerds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 30th, 2005 @ 03:14 AM Reply

yeah, this one time i forgot to optimize a 40 second movie, and it ended up being almost 5 megs but oh well its all in the past

Bezman
Bezman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 30th, 2005 @ 05:43 AM Reply

On the subject of audio optimisation, an issue came to my mind.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how much extra space having custom effects on a sound would take?

I wondered if anyone knew of any research on this with different loops, different numbers of edit points etc. so I wouldn't have to?

JudeZombi
JudeZombi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 30th, 2005 @ 08:08 AM Reply

DON'T TUCH MY BALLS THEY ARE SENSTIVE!

Retards are, therefor I am.

BBS Signature
ramagi
ramagi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 30th, 2005 @ 11:12 AM Reply

At 1/28/05 05:25 PM, wismty wrote: Star syndicate does that very often >=(

They are not the only ones. They know who they are.

Unfortunatly some poeple think it is fun to submit a 1min flash with 3-5MB files size due to the audio. Where it could be a lot less.

XBrav
XBrav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 30th, 2005 @ 12:35 PM Reply

Well, I remix music in the audio portal so I know quite a bit about audio compression.

Firstly, the conversion of an MP3 to a WAV before putting it in flash is real handy if you want a seamless loop of a song. Flash tends to have a small delay when replaying loops that were in MP3 format. I really don't know why.

Even with my super clear songs, I can render as low as 64 kbps without losing quality. As well, for voices, think of it like a phone line. If you were to call someone, that is usually running at ~16 kbps. A voice clip, at max, should be recorded at 32 kbps. So unless you're somehow singing a song or something (have yet to find a submission that does), 32 kbps is more than enough.

And as well, for people wondering about about Audio Optimization, there has always been a link on the AP main page. But I'll sum it up for you here.

The best way to use audio in a submission is by using the stream feature. In simple terms, this plays the audio until it hits a frame that doesn't have that audio clip set up. Since you cannot change the frames and such in the swf itself, flash automatically cuts down the audio to fit that region, saving you time and size.

As well, this allows you to pause the movie and have the audio pause as well. This is due to a syncronization process built into the swf.

As well, when exporting your movie, under the part about adding a password to the swf and stuff, click the "Overwrite audio settings" or similar button. Then, set a bittrate to your need. Personally, my opinion is that unless you need a 3D sound environment, you might as well go with mono. Anyways, render the movie and test it. If you feel you can up the bitrate a little, just do it and render it again.

That's the just of it.

WastedWizard
WastedWizard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Optimization Jan. 30th, 2005 @ 12:40 PM Reply

wht if you have a big movie