00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Something to be done

1,873 Views | 29 Replies

Something to be done 2002-01-15 15:22:54

Hi. I'm a reasonably new member from England. As I go around looking at various Flash cartoons, I find a problem which has become increasingly alarming. None of you Americans can use apostrophes correctly! It's true! E.g: Where one user may say 'your dead,' the correct grammatical spelling is 'you're dead,' as in '(you are) dead.' Your is possesive. Please sort this out and check your text before you post, because it is really annoying. No offence to your educational system, however.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 16:55:00

At 1/15/02 03:22 PM, AdamM wrote: Hi. I'm a reasonably new member from England. As I go around looking at various Flash cartoons, I find a problem which has become increasingly alarming. None of you Americans can use apostrophes correctly! It's true! E.g: Where one user may say 'your dead,' the correct grammatical spelling is 'you're dead,' as in '(you are) dead.' Your is possesive. Please sort this out and check your text before you post, because it is really annoying. No offence to your educational system, however.

you apparently also do not know how to use apostrophes, as we can see by your misuse of them as quotation marks:

no: 'you're dead,'
yes: "you're dead,"

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 17:00:14

At 1/15/02 04:55 PM, Symbiont2 wrote:

you apparently also do not know how to use apostrophes, as we can see by your misuse of them as quotation marks:

Picky, picky, picky. Fuck off dick, unless you have something relevant to say.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 17:02:14

At 1/15/02 03:22 PM, AdamM wrote: Hi. I'm a reasonably new member from England. As I go around looking at various Flash cartoons, I find a problem which has become increasingly alarming. None of you Americans can use apostrophes correctly! It's true! E.g: Where one user may say 'your dead,' the correct grammatical spelling is 'you're dead,' as in '(you are) dead.' Your is possesive. Please sort this out and check your text before you post, because it is really annoying. No offence to your educational system, however.

It’s not nice to generalize all Americans. Several non-Americans also have problems with contractions.

By the way, you spelt “possesive” incorrectly.

Something to be done

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 17:07:38

At 1/15/02 05:02 PM, HAQnSPITT wrote: It’s not nice to generalize all Americans. Several non-Americans also have problems with contractions.

Alright, alright. I was only pointing it out.

By the way, you used 'contractions' incorrectly. Ha!

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 17:26:44

At 1/15/02 05:18 PM, EntropicOrder wrote:
At 1/15/02 05:06 PM, -Diman- wrote: Wow, your name is Adam, my name is Adam, Adambombs name is Adam, you're stupid, I'm stupid, Adamobomb is stupid... Someone slap me!
Adambomb's, not Adambombs, sheesh Diman, I thought you knew better then that...

(hehe, can you find the error in my grammer?)

you used "then" instead of "than"
you also misspelled "grammer"
you also did not use quotes around the two "Adambomb's"
you also did not pluralize "error"
;)

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 17:34:22

At 1/15/02 05:07 PM, AdamM wrote:
At 1/15/02 05:02 PM, HAQnSPITT wrote: It’s not nice to generalize all Americans. Several non-Americans also have problems with contractions.

No

con•trac•tion
A word, as won't from will not, or phrase, as o'clock from of the clock, formed by omitting or combining some of the sounds of a longer phrase.

EntropicOrder - you also used a run-on sentence

Something to be done

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 18:00:34

At 1/15/02 05:00 PM, AdamM wrote:

wut a fuckin hypocrirt joo rip into a monday detail of other people and yours dont matter what a stupid fuck

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 19:15:17

At 1/15/02 05:06 PM, -Diman- wrote:
At 1/15/02 03:22 PM, AdamM wrote: Stuff I don't care about...
Wow, your name is Adam, my name is Adam, Adambombs name is Adam, you're stupid, I'm stupid, Adamobomb is stupid... Someone slap me!

*slap*

Mr. C (Since June 7th, 2001)

BBS Signature

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 19:59:17

At 1/15/02 05:00 PM, AdamM wrote:

Hahah, don't like your grammar corrected huh?

Shut the fuck you yob.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 20:11:56

At 1/15/02 07:15 PM, Mr_Congeniality wrote:
Wow, your name is Adam, my name is Adam, Adambombs name is Adam, you're stupid, I'm stupid, Adamobomb is stupid... Someone slap me!
*slap*

He didn't mean for you to slap him on his ASS ... well, at least I don't think he did.

Anyway, Adam, in the world of the internet, many users don't pay attention to minor grammar details, and tend to write (some parts of) their messages according to how it sounds. In the case of Your/you're, well, your, in its proper form, is used more often then "you are", so you can see why some don't always catch the mistake. You'll also find that some people use painfully obvious improper grammar, for a number of reasons (which won't be discussed here). Regardless, commonly mispelled words are a part of the internet that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, so unless you create your own website, and Ban people who don't think twice about their written message ... you'll have to accept it.

You do not currently have a signature for your Forum posts. Boooooooo!

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 20:19:06

I should also point out that 'alright' is not standard and 'all right' should be used instead. Many authors use 'alright' but it should be avoided in formal writing.

Oh and by the way, aren't you missing tea time?
I'd avoid putting too much sugar in it, your teeth are bad enough already.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 20:35:33

At 1/15/02 08:11 PM, sizzler wrote:
At 1/15/02 07:15 PM, Mr_Congeniality wrote:
*slap*
He didn't mean for you to slap him on his ASS ... well, at least I don't think he did.

I didn't slap his ass, but he does need a spanking.

BBS Signature

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 20:39:58

Well then AdamM darlign you will not like me & most likely spend most of your time correcting me. Sad we could have done brunch over looking the ocean, alas this will never come to pass.

Behind Closed Doors. *Video Clip Here* . Coming Soon!

BBS Signature

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 20:40:52

At 1/15/02 08:19 PM, Shrapnel wrote:

I should also point out that 'alright' is not standard and 'all right' should be used instead. Many authors use 'alright' but it should be avoided in formal writing.

Oh and by the way, aren't you missing tea time?
I'd avoid putting too much sugar in it, your teeth are bad enough already.

Tea time. I think I'm allergic. I'll pass.

BBS Signature

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 21:07:01

I hope no one's besmerching you.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 21:12:22

You have no right to say that 'cause we have higher levels. Bow down you lil pest.....

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 21:14:27

My roommate is EXACTLY like that. His pet peeve is its and it's.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 21:17:31

My favorite wrong use of grammar is rambling sentences because they go on forever and they are funny especially in textbooks and rambling sentences are sentences where one just goes on and on using the word and to connects the sentences without using a period and the sentence I am about to complete is an example of this.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 21:20:01

At 1/15/02 09:17 PM, Splent wrote: My favorite wrong use of grammar is rambling sentences because they go on forever and they are funny especially in textbooks and rambling sentences are sentences where one just goes on and on using the word and to connects the sentences without using a period and the sentence I am about to complete is an example of this.

Me don't understood...........*scratches head*

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 21:20:19

At 1/15/02 05:34 PM, HAQnSPITT wrote:

No

con•trac•tion
A word, as won't from will not, or phrase, as o'clock from of the clock, formed by omitting or combining some of the sounds of a longer phrase.

EntropicOrder - you also used a run-on sentence

No.

Ghey - Noun - Verb
Hajerro
Hajerro si ghey

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 21:28:27

At 1/15/02 09:20 PM, Anarchy_Penguin wrote:
No.

Ghey - Noun - Verb
Hajerro
Hajerro si ghey

Butt ewe mad mi tat whey peng00n!

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 22:31:53

Well then, just for you, expect America to be altering their vocabulary to a more British form of handscipt! You bloody Kraut!!

WASHINGTON, DC—The U.S. Grammar Guild Monday announced that no more will traditional grammar rules English follow. Instead there will a new form of organizing sentences be.

U.S. Grammar Guild according to, the new structure loosely on an obscure 800-year-old, pre-medieval Anglo-Saxon syntax is based. The syntax primarily verbs, verb clauses and adjectives at the end of sentences placing involves. Results this often, to ears American, a sentence backward appearing.

"Operating under we are, one major rule," said Joyce Watters, president of the U.S. Grammar Guild. "Make English, want we, more archaic and dignified sounding to be, as if every word coming from the tongue of a centuries-old, mystical wizard, is."

Brief pause Watters made then a. "Know I, know I," said she. "Confusing sounds it, but every American used to it soon will be."

At a press conference recent greeted warmly the new measure by President Clinton was.

"No longer will we adhere to the dull, predictable structure of our traditional grammar system. This nation will now begin speaking, writing and listening to something fresh, exciting and different," said Clinton.

"Excuse me," added he pause long after a. "Meant I, the dull, predictable system our traditional grammar of adhere to no longer will we. Speaking, writing and listening to something fresh, exciting and different will this nation now begin."

This week beginning, America across, all dictionaries, thesauruses and any other books or objects with any sort of writing upon it or in it revised to fit the new syntax will be. Libraries assure people wish to that the transition promptly begin will, but that patient people should be, as so much to change there is.

"Feel good it will make people to know for all these changes that, librarians cold, crabby and as paranoid and overprotective of their books and periodicals as ever remain will," said Yvonne Richter, Director of the Library of Congress.

The enthusiasm of government officials despite, many Americans about the new plan upset are. "Why in the world did they do this?" a New Canaan, CT, insurance salesman, said Brent Pryce. "There's absolutely no reason. It's utterly pointless and will cause total chaos throughout the country, not to mention the fact that it will cost billions of dollars to implement. And what's this U.S. Grammar Guild, anyway? I've never heard of it."

When of this complaint informed, government officials that they could not the man's words understand said, because of the strange, unintelligible way of speaking he was.

P.s. If you guys say 'chips' when you mean fish, then what do you say for 'potatoe chips'?

Trashcans and recyclable fruit.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-15 22:45:57

P.s. If you guys say 'chips' when you mean fish, then what do you say for 'potatoe chips'?

you dum ass fries are chips and chips are fries
its fish and chips not chips and fries

j00 d0nt kn0w t0 much d0 j00 1t5 0kay th0u6h

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-16 00:06:12

At 1/15/02 10:45 PM, Testerline wrote:

ñ¤ Þ dØN7, §'ØØ|2|2Ÿ, £Û/ ŸºÛ §7¡££ th0u6h

...i think

Trashcans and recyclable fruit.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-16 00:09:25

At 1/16/02 12:06 AM, FazyCruck wrote:
At 1/15/02 10:45 PM, Testerline wrote:

ñ¢´ ¨­ d¨ªN7, ¡×'¨ª¨ª|2|2? £Û/ ?ordm;Û ¡×7¢®££ th0u6h

...i think

¶û³ëÇÒ¤·¤·&m iddot;£¤·‰¥·¸¤·?
¤©¾î¤Ç´Ï¤À& curren;Ǥˤä°¤·& curren;©È£!

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-16 00:21:03

Oh so we have bad grammer, who really gives a fuck? If its "really annoying" then go fucking read The Hardy Boys where there are no grammer mistakes you ugly bastard. I'm Canadian, but i'm coming in the defense of my fellow Americans, so when it boils down to it, Americans are better than you, they've bitch slapped you're country since the beginning of time. eg)American Revolution, World Wars 1 and 2 just to name a couple. So in conclusion, go suck a dick you fucking grammer freak. Have a nice day.

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-16 00:22:47

At 1/16/02 12:21 AM, pantyraider12354 wrote:
Oh so we have bad grammer, who really gives a fuck? If its "really annoying" then go fucking read The Hardy Boys where there are no grammer mistakes you ugly bastard. I'm Canadian, but i'm coming in the defense of my fellow Americans, so when it boils down to it, Americans are better than you, they've bitch slapped you're country since the beginning of time. eg)American Revolution, World Wars 1 and 2 just to name a couple. So in conclusion, go suck a dick you fucking grammer freak. Have a nice day.

I second motion this, and I'm canadian too :)

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-16 00:25:51

At 1/16/02 12:22 AM, sexy_devil wrote:
At 1/16/02 12:21 AM, pantyraider12354 wrote:
I second motion this, and I'm canadian too :)

Here Here, to the Americans and Canadians

Response to Something to be done 2002-01-18 14:16:14

Jesus Fucking Christ! What the fuck happened here? Fuck me! Are you out of your fucking minds?! I only mentioned a little nagging problem in the text of Flash cartoons, and then you start fucking me over like I'm some sort of fucking grammer freak! For fuck's sake! And just because I come from fucking England, doesn't mean you can insult it as well! For fuck's sake, go away and get some fucking sense before you come on here and start contradicting me like you're so fucking perfect.

P.S We call potato chips 'crisps.' We call french fries 'chips.' And you only use this sign " when you are quoting inside a quote or speech mark, what this ' is for.