00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread

5,459 Views | 93 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2004-12-30 11:55:34

I noticed you said that a good 3D game is rather hard to run in FP7. I assume you're using the line drawing feature of AS to render your objects.

There are alternate means however, and I'm currently producing a game with the creators of the Perfect Kirby series that runs 3D levels very smoothly on a 1Ghz 256mb comp, and i expect it to run on much lower specs too.

Having said that, with the huge scope of the game, it might not be out before FP8! Still, good to get a head start on the competition :-P

Tom

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2004-12-30 13:35:49

At 12/30/04 11:55 AM, The_Super_Flash_Bros wrote: I noticed you said that a good 3D game is rather hard to run in FP7. I assume you're using the line drawing feature of AS to render your objects.

Tom

ahh, tom, finally someone worthy of my attention :)

well, i am using 3d in 4 different ways in flash

1)the slow render using lines and fills, which really is slow
2)the presenting 2d maps as 3d, which runs smoothly, like the ioi8 flyer game, and the first person shooter which erik is making, but that isn't really 3d because you can't have real 3d spins and such, but still looks rather good
3)making 3d with a softwere program i am working on for my big school project that writes 3d swf files that play in flash player, now those run pretty fast since they simulate Z much faster then the first option and they work really faster, well, seems you got some good compotition yourself. now i don't mind showing you this softwere since you've showed me some of your stuff prerelease, but it has huge benefits over flash, for 1 thing, it is camera based and not stage based, for another, you can create 3d complex objects in it with no trouble (almost).

4)simulating 3d with my 3dpre class package, it creates the object with AS before running the actual swf file and just loads them in a certein way when running the flash file itself, this also works fast but takes alot of time to compile...

glad to have you post here

-Inglor

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2004-12-31 00:43:59

it is strange how all questions were about 3d, forums, or chats, don't you think?

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2004-12-31 07:27:42

ok genius...could you write a program that could prove or disprove the existance of god(s)?

Also i would kill for some perfect image based collision detection. ^_^

BBS Signature

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-02 11:35:33

image hitTest check is quite simple, there is a thing called
"shape flag" , check hitTest at flash's help librery it is all there

about the god checker... ok, but i want you to define god first

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-02 11:38:47

How do I make a movie where a man is running under the rain from a car without sound, with only actionscript?

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-02 12:00:18

At 1/2/05 11:38 AM, Immigrant wrote: How do I make a movie where a man is running under the rain from a car without sound, with only actionscript?

way too easy for this thread, but i will still dignify it with an answer

you create an empty movieclip with lineTo command 50 times which is going down and if it reaches _y=0 it sets back to 400, that is the rain, now the car is just a bunch of circles and lines using flash API with curveTo and lineTo... now after that you move the car's _x and you also need to create a running man.. again, a combo of lineTo and curveTo and changing it's _x and _x according to the way of running , you just move the car object and the person object's _x while the rain is dropping and there you go...

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-02 13:01:06

how do I make fire with JUST actionscript?

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-02 13:55:07

At 1/2/05 01:01 PM, Immigrant wrote: how do I make fire with JUST actionscript?

ok, now this is kinda hard but it should work... what you need to do is overload your computer in order for the fans to not be useful enough causing your computer to burst on fire... but! i think you've meant fire in flash

please stop asking API questions, you might as well ask how to draw fire, there is a good tutorial on oohbitey.com for fires

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-02 14:32:53

At 12/29/04 10:57 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: OH! A question I came across a while back on FlashRegs. How do you make a forum in flash?

Also, I'll help you out Inglor, when your time is tight and when I can manage to get over hur.

i have no idea but if anyone could tell me how to download a .fla file from a website....
www.xplosiveflash.moonfruit.com

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-02 14:40:52

Ragdoll physics on characters.

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 01:39:19

At 12/27/04 02:55 PM, ZYX3D wrote:

first of all thank you for answering his question

But Inglor, I've a couple of questions for you...

a) By some unknown reason, none of the many scripts I've tried is able to recognize the cursor key combinations of Up+Down+Left and Up+Right+Left (&all four keys), while all other combos work OK. Seems more... a memory or CPU issue??? Whatever, but neither ifs nor Booleans nor some other more bizarre routines, with or without listeners, do work for this. Is there any kind of limit to how many keys may be pressed altogether, or any workaround you do know?

i think 2 keys is the maximum you can recognize with the Key handler, however, i am not sure nor do i care because there is a rather noobish and simple way to bypass this, just create a small interval between the 4 something like
if(Key.isDown(Key.UP)){
if(interval==0){
interval=10;
}
up.pressed=true
}
if(Key.isDown(Key.DOWN)){
if(interval==0){
interval=10;
}
down.pressed=true
}
if(Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)){
if(interval==0){
interval=10;
}
left.pressed=true
}
if(Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)){
if(interval==0){
interval=10;
}
right.pressed=true
}
if(interval==0){
right.pressed=false;
left.pressed=false;
up.pressed=false
down.pressed=false
}
if(up.pressed==true&&right.pressed=true&&.....){
trace("all keys pressed");
}

well.. you get the point.

b) Flash (MX, at least) cannot use text as mask, nor static nor dynamic. Right now, my workaround is to type all the letters in a MC (a frame for each), break them, make an empty movieclip in which I AS-put that "Alphabet_mc" letter by letter (selecting the frames according to the string), and have that "all-letter" MC work as mask. Also, since I use things like àèéíòóúïü (and their caps), I have to check the stresses and put them over the stressed letter. My zyx! Can you think of any other, more efficient, workaround?

2 ways i can think of... 1) turn them nto jpegs dynemically in flash which will be rather hard and complex, 2)use 2 sources, you can mask a whole .swf file and in the whole .swf file you can put text right?

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 01:44:41

At 1/2/05 02:28 PM, Lilj wrote: hahaha nice...
(thinking of hard question)
can you make a prog that runs all by itself made from flash and how would you?

what do you mean "runs all by itself"

i can always program "game of life" in flash
http://www.ibiblio.org/lifepatterns/

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 01:47:40

At 1/2/05 02:40 PM, Scribbler wrote: Ragdoll physics on characters.

what do you exactly mean, if there are real physics you can naturally simulate them...

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 01:51:08

At 1/2/05 02:32 PM, -fuzz- wrote: dumb question that violates copyright issues

NO

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 03:34:16

How about reversing time in the actual game. Like, the player runs to the left, then he presses space(or something), and time is reversed, so he moves back to the left, only, like in slow-mo, an example would be Prince of Persia... ;) That would be awesome/

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 03:42:47

At 1/3/05 03:34 AM, JustinBalden wrote: reverse stuff

100% possible, i've odne it before, you need to create a stack which is like a list of stuff only the first thing that comes in is the last to get out (LIFO), now simple on each player action you add an action to the stack and when a key is pressed (like space) it simply does all the actions that are in the stack untill the key is released...

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 03:43:07

At 1/3/05 03:34 AM, JustinBalden wrote: How about reversing time in the actual game. Like, the player runs to the left, then he presses space(or something), and time is reversed, so he moves back to the left, only, like in slow-mo, an example would be Prince of Persia... ;) That would be awesome/

By the way, I don't mean to where he just moves back to the right, I mean his actions are reversed, as if he never made them. This actually probably isn't possible... but it's always good to ask.

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 03:45:22

At 1/3/05 03:42 AM, Inglor wrote: stuff

Awesome. This should help alot for future games.

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 06:31:09

At 1/3/05 03:45 AM, JustinBalden wrote:
At 1/3/05 03:42 AM, Inglor wrote: stuff
Awesome. This should help alot for future games.

no trouble helping at all... just remember not to over use stack or you'll get a stack overflow :P

you can usearrays as stacks... it has the stack push and stack pop commands which are useful

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 17:23:11

I meant that if you were to create a character consisting of multiple movie clips, could you simulate his movements so that, upon "death," he would fall to the ground realistically, with ragdoll effects. So that everytime he fell, he would fall a different way. Without lagging the game?

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 18:00:50

A math formula to calculate the amount of time the sun has left untill it novas.

Note: I want it down to the nearest thousandth of a second.

Get choppin.

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 20:32:11

Simple ragdoll stuff is, well, simple. If you take each joint as a point mass connected by rods of fixed length but no mass, then you can just use regular momentum combined with angular momentum to simulate a human skeleton and apply that to your character model. The only trick is working out which order to do the mass' calculations, but if you start with the heaviest (ie body) and branch out from there, you cant go too far wrong as it will have the dominant effect anyway.

Back on the topic of 3D games, I've put an example of my (very) old 3D work on my site: www.superflashbros.net in the exclusives section. Yes, I know its slow. Yes I know the controls are awful. Yes I know the tracks are small and identical. But it was my first outing into 3D work, and isnt too bad, all things considered. Nowadays its bye-bye API rendering, hello dual triangles!

Tom

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-03 23:39:32

At 1/3/05 08:32 PM, The_Super_Flash_Bros wrote: Simple ragdoll stuff is, well, simple. If you take each joint as a point mass connected by rods...

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for answering. Have you done any ragdoll simulation in Flash?

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-04 02:42:43

At 1/3/05 08:32 PM, The_Super_Flash_Bros wrote:
Back on the topic of 3D games, I've put an example of my (very) old 3D work on my site: www.superflashbros.net in the exclusives section. Yes, I know its slow. Yes I know the controls are awful. Yes I know the tracks are small and identical. But it was my first outing into 3D work, and isnt too bad, all things considered. Nowadays its bye-bye API rendering, hello dual triangles!

Tom

ahh, interesting... dual triangles, i've used that 3d method once or twice before :P but i can assure you there IS a better way :P try to think about the basic classes of flash themselves :P change those and it'll be better simulation... directly showing 3d instead of simulating it to 2d first...

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-04 04:52:03

Make a scripting language in flash. I think that'd be pretty cool.
Or a completely object oriented physics engine. Mmmmyes

BBS Signature

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-04 05:09:05

At 1/4/05 04:52 AM, F-13 wrote: Make a scripting language in flash. I think that'd be pretty cool.

yea, it does sound pertty cool but i doubt it is possible, i have tried before but it was too time consuming... but generally it is just parsing strings... :P

Or a completely object oriented physics engine. Mmmmyes

hmm, i think that has been done before :P, but i can't really give you an idea "how to" because a)i think you're clever enough and B) it really isn't too much work... yet! i am now building a 3d engine with real physics in flash... so you'll just have to wait untill i'm finished :P

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-10 10:36:01

At 1/2/05 11:35 AM, Inglor wrote: image hitTest check is quite simple, there is a thing called
"shape flag" , check hitTest at flash's help librery it is all there

=_= i know that...i said "PERFECT", image hittest has its issues

about the god checker... ok, but i want you to define god first

big ass guy that creates worlds and people and other stuff for no good reason

BBS Signature

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-10 10:56:53

Cool thread :thumbs up:!

I've got one thing, I know it's possible, I have seen it in about three games so far. But I just want to know how hard it is to program.

Anyone ever heard of the game Silver, where you could swordfight using not clicks but mouse movement, it would recognize patterns of movement of your mouse if you would hold left mouse button.Iit was a wonderful way of gameplay, most fun rpg ever!
This feature is, sorta, also used in Black and White (maybe more known about than SIlver), here you cast spells by writing patterns on the ground with your'hand'. Patterns like a star, that would cast fireball.

I never ever after Silver seen a good game pass that handled swordfighting like they did. Wich makes me so sad, so I wondered, is it hard to program, or are game developers of RPG's to stupid to see that it is a good thing to add in your game?

Response to The Inglor Advanced As Ideas Thread 2005-01-10 11:32:40

At 1/10/05 10:56 AM, MadGiraffe wrote: Cool thread :thumbs up:!

thank you

I've got one thing, I know it's possible, I have seen it in about three games so far. But I just want to know how hard it is to program.

then isn't this the wrong thread?

Anyone ever heard of the game Silver, where you could swordfight using not clicks but mouse movement, it would recognize patterns of movement of your mouse if you would hold left mouse button.Iit was a wonderful way of gameplay, most fun rpg ever!

you mean like in ronin spirit of the sword? that isn't too hard, you just start a scratch and perhaps use lineTo with 0 alpha and then hitTest it against the patterns (this is not how it was done in ronin, but it should work)

This feature is, sorta, also used in Black and White (maybe more known about than SIlver), here you cast spells by writing patterns on the ground with your'hand'. Patterns like a star, that would cast fireball.

yea, then it is probebly what i thought./

I never ever after Silver seen a good game pass that handled swordfighting like they did. Wich makes me so sad, so I wondered, is it hard to program, or are game developers of RPG's to stupid to see that it is a good thing to add in your game?

have you played ronin spirit of the sword?

yours,

Inglor