00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

X-Box sucks reason why? check here

2,938 Views | 42 Replies

I found this morning here on www.cnn.com

Xbox woes: Some customers angry
Analyst: Weak service could mean bad rap for new console
January 5, 2002 Posted: 12:19 PM EST (1719 GMT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Hundreds of people who bought Microsoft's hot new Xbox game console over the holidays received defective systems, and some say they waited for weeks before the devices were fixed.

Analysts said the number of flawed consoles is probably too small to spell serious production troubles, but said long repair times wouldn't help the software giant in its first major foray into hardware.

John Kreis, 31, of Chicago bought an Xbox the day it came out. He said the $300 system stopped working almost immediately, but it took a month of aggravation with Xbox customer service before he got a replacement.

"The whole thing that was so frustrating (was) just the fact that still to this day I'm waiting for a call-back just to explain to me what happened," he said.

The Associated Press spoke with about a dozen Xbox users who said the console never worked or soon froze up. Most called the customer service response poor.

"I'm taking my Christmas decorations down and (my son) hasn't gotten to play with his Christmas toys yet," said Debbie Mason of Uniontown, Pennsylvania.

Analyst Rob Enderle of Giga Information Systems warned that customer service is more important than how many units actually break.

"If 200 people have a really bad experience and they're vocal, then the impression is the product's bad," he said.

Playing for big bucks
The stakes are high for Microsoft, which shipped about 1.5 million Xboxes over the holidays. With the highly regarded Xbox, the company is battling Nintendo and Sony in a hyper-competitive game console market.

Microsoft delayed its United States launch date by a week to November 15 amid rumors of problems at its Mexican production plant. It also pushed back its Japan launch date, but has denied any major problems.

Microsoft sales and marketing director John O'Rourke said fewer than 1 percent of the consoles have proven faulty. Analysts say that's in line with the industry standard, and competitor Nintendo reported a comparable rate for its new GameCube.

Microsoft also has seen no pattern of specific problems, O'Rourke said.

Plenty of people who bought defective Xboxes got decent customer service. Marc Patri, 49, for example, said in an e-mail that his Xbox was repaired and returned within five days.

Microsoft uses outside companies, including Harte-Hanks of San Antonio, Texas, and Sykes Enterprises in Tampa, Florida, to handle Xbox customer service. Xbox repairs are handled by Solectron of Milpitas, California.

A spokesman for Harte-Hanks declined to comment. The other companies did not respond to calls seeking comment.

Kreis said it took nearly two weeks before he received an empty box to send his faulty Xbox back for repair. At one point, customer service couldn't find his records. One representative told him he would get a new unit rather than have his old one repaired, but another agent told him they never send new units out.

Still later, someone called him and asked him how he was enjoying his new Xbox -- which he'd never received.

Finally, on December 10, the repaired Xbox came back.

"I'll be loyal for a while," Kreis said. "But I'm hoping I never have to call support again, that's for sure."

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 12:16:50

At 1/6/02 10:50 AM, NeOStar wrote: I found this morning here on www.cnn.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Hundreds of people who bought Microsoft's hot new Xbox game console over the holidays received defective systems, and some say they waited for weeks before the devices were fixed.

Analysts said the number of flawed consoles is probably too small to spell serious production troubles, but said long repair times wouldn't help the software giant in its first major foray into hardware.

John Kreis, 31, of Chicago bought an Xbox the day it came out. He said the $300 system stopped working almost immediately, but it took a month of aggravation with Xbox customer service before he got a replacement.

"The whole thing that was so frustrating (was) just the fact that still to this day I'm waiting for a call-back just to explain to me what happened," he said.

The Associated Press spoke with about a dozen Xbox users who said the console never worked or soon froze up. Most called the customer service response poor.

"I'm taking my Christmas decorations down and (my son) hasn't gotten to play with his Christmas toys yet," said Debbie Mason of Uniontown, Pennsylvania.

Analyst Rob Enderle of Giga Information Systems warned that customer service is more important than how many units actually break.

"If 200 people have a really bad experience and they're vocal, then the impression is the product's bad," he said.

Playing for big bucks
The stakes are high for Microsoft, which shipped about 1.5 million Xboxes over the holidays. With the highly regarded Xbox, the company is battling Nintendo and Sony in a hyper-competitive game console market.

Microsoft delayed its United States launch date by a week to November 15 amid rumors of problems at its Mexican production plant. It also pushed back its Japan launch date, but has denied any major problems.

Microsoft sales and marketing director John O'Rourke said fewer than 1 percent of the consoles have proven faulty. Analysts say that's in line with the industry standard, and competitor Nintendo reported a comparable rate for its new GameCube.

Plenty of people who bought defective Xboxes got decent customer service. Marc Patri, 49, for example, said in an e-mail that his Xbox was repaired and returned within five days.

Microsoft uses outside companies, including Harte-Hanks of San Antonio, Texas, and Sykes Enterprises in Tampa, Florida, to handle Xbox customer service. Xbox repairs are handled by Solectron of Milpitas, California.

A spokesman for Harte-Hanks declined to comment. The other companies did not respond to calls seeking comment.

Kreis said it took nearly two weeks before he received an empty box to send his faulty Xbox back for repair. At one point, customer service couldn't find his records. One representative told him he would get a new unit rather than have his old one repaired, but another agent told him they never send new units out.

Still later, someone called him and asked him how he was enjoying his new Xbox -- which he'd never received.

"I'll be loyal for a while," Kreis said. "But I'm hoping I never have to call support again, that's for sure."

DONT SUPPORT BILL GATES, HE WANTS TO BUY OUR BALLS!111

http://www.boomstick.com/boughtmyballs

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 12:49:28

At 1/6/02 10:50 AM, NeOStar wrote: I found this morning here on www.cnn.com

Playing for big bucks

What???? Are you crazy???? Bill gates has a power that you can't even image...Xbox has the same power of da Ps2! Shit...

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 12:51:01

I hate all these consoles man!I have PS2 and then theres the gamecube and Xbox that are great but they cost WAY too much but I wanna play them all!! I wanna play pikmin on gamecube and I wanna play munch on the Xbox! Argh! save me.

Nny

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 12:52:49

At 1/6/02 12:46 PM, RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh wrote:
At 1/6/02 10:50 AM, NeOStar wrote: bill gates stuff
Oh, come on. Just because Bill Gates is the richest man in the world doesn't mean he's satan. If you still think that his Company is a gateway to hell, grow up. Hell doesn't exist. Well, technically it does, but it's not in this dimension and therefore we can't say that it really exists.

Hmm, and since that guy's Xbox crashed, do ya think that maybe they're putting in the same Chips as Windows 98? hrm...

MAYBE TEH PUT ASUKA IN THERE!!!1111

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 13:26:34

Both systems (X-Box and GameCube) suck right now. I wouldn't buy either one until either one starts producing games that are worth a fuck.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 14:02:44

At 1/6/02 01:26 PM, rvdsm wrote: Both systems (X-Box and GameCube) suck right now. I wouldn't buy either one until either one starts producing games that are worth a fuck.

one word
HALO

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 21:17:28

At 1/6/02 02:02 PM, TesterIine wrote:
At 1/6/02 01:26 PM, rvdsm wrote: Both systems (X-Box and GameCube) suck right now. I wouldn't buy either one until either one starts producing games that are worth a fuck.

one word
HALO

2 words "It Sucked".... C'mon I've played better

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 21:20:46

At 1/6/02 09:17 PM, NeOStar wrote:
one word
HALO
2 words "It Sucked".... C'mon I've played better

HALO is a fucking awsome game the only game thats any good for ps2 is gta3 and how long has play station been out? you cant compair games when the other systems havent had a chance to develop games yet

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 21:49:32

red faction is just as good, and that came out the day playstation 2 came out

dont forget that xbox is shit on games and is gonna start stealing playstation companies such as capcom/sqaresoft/neversoft/all that good shit

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 21:51:24

Yeah, let's put this in perspective, though. Hundreds of defects, out of 1.5 million consoles. That's less than 1 percent, making it probably the most stable piece of electronics ever.

Oh, and you left out the part at the end where they said that there are actually those who have gotten their Xboxes fixed and back in 5 days. Only a very small few of Xbox defects have had such troubles with customer service.

BTW, you've probably never played anything beyond a demo at a store and I'll bet you've never played Halo, you're probably just talking crap.

That's ok, ignorant people like you can still live.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 21:52:49

At 1/6/02 09:49 PM, Sloth_Clock wrote:
red faction is just as good, and that came out the day playstation 2 came out

Heh, right.

dont forget that xbox is shit on games and is gonna start stealing playstation companies such as capcom/sqaresoft/neversoft/all that good shit

Shit on games? Tell me all the games you've played on the Xbox.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 21:56:30

i have spent lots of hours on ps2 playing lots of differnt games and i have played halo for x box and i would rather get an x box

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 21:57:05

HALO not only sucked, but it was easy as hell. My friend has an XBOX (He didn't even ask for one, his granrents just got him and his bros one for Xmas) and was beat (Without coop play) in less than a day . . . it also has no replay value and sucky multiplayer.

PS2 has more than GTA3: Tekken Tag Tournament, GT3, Metal Gear Solid, FFX, and Devil May Cry (My personal fav) to name a few.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 22:15:40

I frequent the ign boards, and I have seen more people complaining about their xbox's malfunctioning than their gamecubes. PS2 launch units blew some hard cock though, and that's a fact. They have most of the problems ironed out now though.

Doesn't singlehandedly make the XBox suck, it just makes the malfunctioning XBox's suck.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 22:15:40

At 1/6/02 09:57 PM, Dj_ReEb_SoB wrote: HALO not only sucked, but it was easy as hell. My friend has an XBOX (He didn't even ask for one, his granrents just got him and his bros one for Xmas) and was beat (Without coop play) in less than a day . . . it also has no replay value and sucky multiplayer.

No replay value? I swear myself and my brother have gone through levels many multiple times and have been playing multi-player a lot . . . wow, I guess your wrong! Or, you just like forcing your opinion.

PS2 has more than GTA3: Tekken Tag Tournament, GT3, Metal Gear Solid, FFX, and Devil May Cry (My personal fav) to name a few.

Wow, I don't care for any of those games, PS2 now officially sucks my dong.

Your logic (or lack thereof) boggles me.

Oh, BTW, I had a customer come in today who said he got his PS2 a long time ago and his Xbox last week. He only has about 4 games for his Xbox, but he's already thinking about selling his PS2. He says 'There is no comparison'.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 22:28:25

I may get a PS2, or at least borrow a friend's, for Xenosaga. If it's good that is. GTA3 anc ICO and pals wouldn't hurt either.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 22:40:30

At 1/6/02 10:28 PM, SilverHammer wrote: I may get a PS2, or at least borrow a friend's, for Xenosaga. If it's good that is. GTA3 anc ICO and pals wouldn't hurt either.

If I didn't have to get a Gamecube, I'd already own Pikmin.

I can't wait for the Xbox version of GTA3. Then lemmings that walk into my store aren't going to automatically ask for a PS2 when they ask for GTA3.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 22:40:59

Well, My XBOX is perfect. Didn;t freeze once.

The worst member.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 23:04:15

I heard that if you hook a X-box into the internet it can get a virus.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 23:05:45

Mouhahaha just like i already said PS2 must stay THE only console who give a result equal to what you pay!

And soon it'll get more affordable about 300$ and lower! wouhou!

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 23:13:14

At 1/6/02 11:04 PM, coolbeans wrote: I heard that if you hook a X-box into the internet it can get a virus.

I heard that if you play a PS2 for extended periods of time, your testicles shrink.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-06 23:15:07

At 1/6/02 11:05 PM, Fultos wrote: Mouhahaha just like i already said PS2 must stay THE only console who give a result equal to what you pay!

Oh, yeah, a big gaping whole in the back for a future expansion (that you'll have to pay $100-150 for), inferior technology, El Ranchero-esque functionality (designed to do two different things, sucks at both). Yeah, I'll do that.

And soon it'll get more affordable about 300$ and lower! wouhou!

Crack is not your thing.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-07 00:36:33

*Looks at everyone with silent envy*

Sorry, despite the fact that I will not own a game console of any kind makes me attracted to these types of topics like a moth to fire. You can go on ignoring me now.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-07 00:43:33

At 1/7/02 12:36 AM, -bomb- wrote: *Looks at everyone with silent envy*

Sorry, despite the fact that I will not own a game console of any kind makes me attracted to these types of topics like a moth to fire. You can go on ignoring me now.

Two years ago, I was the same way. PC all the fuckin way!

But I had to get the best console. The only disadvantage it has is sheer number of games. That'll change . . .

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-07 01:27:25

At 1/6/02 09:57 PM, Dj_ReEb_SoB wrote: HALO not only sucked, but it was easy as hell. My friend has an XBOX (He didn't even ask for one, his granrents just got him and his bros one for Xmas) and was beat (Without coop play) in less than a day . . . it also has no replay value and sucky multiplayer.

The only reason your friend beat it in one day is because (he has no life and) he did it on easy.
I want to see him try surviving two minutes on legendary.

I havent tried this myself but I have heard that multiplayer through the internet and gamespy (which im not sure is legal) is kickass 1337 stuff.

And to the x-box sucking because of a bunch of faulty systems, is a bunch of crap. The only reason that a bunch of x-box's not working is on the news is because it is manufactured by "evil" microsoft. If this happened to the PS2 we probably wouldn't of heard anything about it.

I remember reading somewhere (i'm not sure where) that the Xbox is considered 3-5 times stronger than the PS2 by some developers.

I'm not saying the XBOX is better than the PS2. I personally really like GTA3 and wish rockstar would of thought better and released it to the XBOX also.

you don't know if i'm joking or not

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-07 01:30:38

At 1/6/02 10:40 PM, TFX wrote:
At 1/6/02 10:28 PM, SilverHammer wrote: I may get a PS2, or at least borrow a friend's, for Xenosaga. If it's good that is. GTA3 anc ICO and pals wouldn't hurt either.
If I didn't have to get a Gamecube, I'd already own Pikmin.

I can't wait for the Xbox version of GTA3. Then lemmings that walk into my store aren't going to automatically ask for a PS2 when they ask for GTA3.

are they releasing GTA3 for XBOX? kickass! if they are I am totally getting it!

the irony of your post is that lemmings was originally thought up by the same person who thought up GTA.

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-07 01:32:18

I'm not saying the XBOX is better than the PS2. I personally really like GTA3 and wish rockstar would of thought better and released it to the XBOX also.

Actually, GTA3 is supposed to be out on Xbox in February or March . . .

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-07 01:33:57

At 1/7/02 01:32 AM, TFX wrote:
Actually, GTA3 is supposed to be out on Xbox in February or March . . .

read above post

Response to X-Box sucks reason why? check here 2002-01-07 01:34:17

At 1/7/02 01:30 AM, CubeClock wrote: the irony of your post is that lemmings was originally thought up by the same person who thought up GTA.

True, true.