Respond to this Topic
AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:17:10 Reply

At 12/6/04 05:09 PM, j00bie wrote: The problem with your reviews is that theyre abusive :D

HEY! That was ONE review! Usually I try to avoid writing abusive reviews at all costs. But I realize now that I shouldn't have reviewed that flash at all, mainly because there isn't much to say about that kind of flash, and certainly not anything constructive.

j00bie
j00bie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:19:14 Reply

At 12/6/04 05:17 PM, Aapo_Joki wrote: But I realize now that I shouldn't have reviewed that flash at all, mainly because there isn't much to say about that kind of flash, and certainly not anything constructive.

You could avoid watching them all together, that would solve the problem.

BrainClock
BrainClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:21:58 Reply

Yeah, it just occurred to me.
What exactly is "good," and what exactly is "bad?"
Most of you think you know what is good and what isn't. This is usually what the opinions of good and bad are to the users of Newgrounds. Keep in mind that this is only from what I have seen from the little experience I have on this subject.

Good: Anything that took an honestly long time, anything that is pleasing to the senses, with smooth, fluid graphics, (i.e. Bitey of Brackenwood. )
It also should stick to the genre it applies to. For example, if it's a comedy, it should be funny, etc. The sound should be clear and of a good quality. Finally, it should be original.

Bad: Any movie that was created in the name of hate, malice, or prejudice. (That's the "moral" definition. I don't care if you can animate so well my eyes explode, I'm still going to give you a zero if it purposely preaches a message of hate.)
The real definition of a bad movie would be any movie with poor-quality graphics, and little to no creativity, (i.e, B .)

Of course, that doesn't account for taste or interest, which leads to my next statement (beware, Ranting Ahead)

I consider myself a Clock. That is to say, I would vote five on a StrawberryClock or any other clock movie, no matter how bad the graphics or the quality.
The same applies to certain good or bad flash artists and their fans. For example, the relationship between the famous artists Piconjo and LegendaryFrog.
From what I have seen, Piconjo basically despises the "mainstream" flash artists, such as LF, The Super Flash Brothers, Richie and John Zirbes (Pikanjo), and Illwillpress. He regularly creates poor-quality flash movies that are meant to humiliate and insult these artists, while masquerading behind a "Piconjo luvs j00" nice-guy facade. Despite the fact that most of his movies aren't directly his own (Piconjo jams), he has managed to amass of horde of fans to his side. Why these people like him is beyond me. Perhaps they are tired of LF's pride toward his success. Maybe they always hated him. Nonetheless, they vote zero on it because it comes from any of these "good" authors.
As you all may know, Piconjo has recently turned his sights toward Wade and the Portal security, producing movies like "Bezitzen Sie (which, in case you haven't seen it, is Piconjo's vision of a corrupt, evil Portal, led by the evil "Wadolf" and his army of gay "toadies") and others.
Meanwhile, LegendaryFrog and the others have been seeming to stay away from that subject. I once IM'ed LegendaryFrog, and he claimed that he didn't know who Piconjo was. They seem to simply want to entertain Newgrounds with the movies that they make.
This is how it should be. No movie should contain a message like 'vote 5,' or 'legendarey frog sux cock', or any "political" messages that may affect how the viewer will vote.
Why? Because that type of message has a name: Propaganda. \
The Portal is a democracy (in a sense), and voters should treat the submissions fairly, voting on the movie as only they want to, with an honest opinion.

In conclusion, I support Wade's decision.
If you have any questions, for me, just ask.
(And now I'm done being a smartass.)

AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:31:23 Reply

At 12/6/04 05:19 PM, j00bie wrote: You could avoid watching them all together, that would solve the problem.

Noted. And I already have basically. But I'm going to keep watching and voting on movies that are under judgement, regardless of who the author is.

Jack-Kinoff
Jack-Kinoff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:55:50 Reply

why not have the vote bar attached to the flash file? then you have to see the whole god damn animation and the vote on it

Wanion
Wanion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:03:23 Reply

Thats a great idea, but now I REALLY have to clean up my voting.

I like making movies, music, and smoking weed. Call me crazy.
Video Production Club Create, Share, Discuss with fellow NG video enthusiasts!

BBS Signature
Maus
Maus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:05:44 Reply

At 12/6/04 05:55 PM, Canadian-Beer wrote: why not have the vote bar attached to the flash file? then you have to see the whole god damn animation and the vote on it

That doesn't address looping flash, or retardedly long awful, terrible flash.

Maxwell-FA
Maxwell-FA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:17:11 Reply

I love you Wade. Thank you.

Maxwell-FA
Maxwell-FA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:20:35 Reply

At 12/6/04 04:54 PM, madhatt3r wrote:
At 12/6/04 04:35 PM, Swive wrote: I'm also tired of shitty Star Syndicate collab animations (DailyToons, _____ Tribute, etc) passing judgement because everyone gives it an automatic 5.
look.. i'm tired of you people saying that the star syndicate gets people to mass vote on the dailytoons.

i made two or three of those, and i know as a fact that no one is gathered to mass vote on them. a personal friend of mine was in charge of them for a while, and all he did was pick a random time during the day where he had nothing else to do, went to the dailytoon gmail account, picked 5 toons he had recieved in emails from ANYONE (you do not need to be a member of the star syndicate to make a daily toon) threw them all together with a menu and submitted them. they are just for fun, there is no conspiracy here, no organized mass voting. honestly, i enjoy them because it's just shitty fun, and it allows users with no skills to get something to thier name if they want.

having dailytoons isn't going to effect your life. we aren't stealing awards from more talented authors, nor are we enforcing our toons onto you guys. you can watch it, vote how you like, whatever. with something like an average score of 2.00, these things are nothing more than ordinary flash in the portal.

Yeah seriously you guys, WTF? The Star Syndicate is not some evil corperation out to get you and to protect their movies. They are just a group of animators with the talent to have their work pass. If you wanna bitch about it and start your own fucking syndicate out to get the SS(COUGH YACHT BOY COUGH), listen to me for a sec, they just have their fans and their haters. It's the exact same thing with LegendaryFrog, I personally am not a big fan of him, and his stuff passes, but I don't bitch about how his whole fan club helps him out and that's it right there, it's all fair and square, so fuck off.

nazibomb
nazibomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:22:22 Reply

At 12/6/04 05:21 PM, BrainClock wrote: This is how it should be. No movie should contain a message like 'vote 5,' or 'legendarey frog sux cock', or any "political" messages that may affect how the viewer will vote.

messages that may effect how the viewer will vote? the viewer is voting on the message of the flash! if i want to make a movie with three frames that says 'NEWGROUNDS IS FOR HOMOS' flashing over and over again, i am free to, and you are free to vote however you want.

saying that we should limit our spectrum of topics in which to make a flash about in order to preserve some sort of ideal system of voting which is not influenced by the thing that you're voting on is absolutely retarded.

BBS Signature
nazibomb
nazibomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:24:19 Reply

At 12/6/04 05:09 PM, Swive wrote: I put the word movie in quotes to emphasize the gayness of Star Syndicate's flash.

let me say this once more. NOT ALL DAILYTOONS ARE CREATED BY THE STAR SYNDICATE.

also, that isn't a bad idea. put the vote panel in the area where the ad currently is on the flash movie pages, so in order to vote you are forced to (at the very least) open the view movie link.

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:26:27 Reply

At 12/6/04 04:44 PM, madhatt3r wrote: what's with the new NG logo before every flash that comes up before the actual preloader, but only if you're not logged in? the only problem i have with this is that i rarely log in, spare to deposit a couple of times a month, or to post something, and i noticed that it can sometimes ruin the mood of a flash.

The NG logo before the Flash entry, for non-logged in users, is for the greater good of Newgrounds and our artists. It's called branding, and it helps first time, or occasional viewers, remember what site they were on when they watched something here. Hopefully the Newgrounds.com name will stick with them more and when they go to tell someone about something they saw here they will know where to send them. Most sites like Newgrounds.com already do this, so I don't see what the big fucking deal is. Log in if you don't want to see it, don't expect us to remove it becuase you're to fucking lazy to log in.

what's going on with the console contest? is that finished?

As far as I know it's still on, but we ran into a snag with Amazon.com with ordering systems. We are looking into a new place to do business with. I'm trying to keep on Tom's back about this, but he's been really busy lately.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
Jack-Kinoff
Jack-Kinoff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:28:18 Reply

At 12/6/04 06:05 PM, Maus wrote:
At 12/6/04 05:55 PM, Canadian-Beer wrote: why not have the vote bar attached to the flash file? then you have to see the whole god damn animation and the vote on it
That doesn't address looping flash, or retardedly long awful, terrible flash.

well maybe , just like a preloader, it should be required or something.... I DONT KNOW! there isnt really any way to MAKE someone vote fairly and watch a flash... so my idea wouldnt make much of a diffrence anyways

Bob-Friskit
Bob-Friskit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:32:09 Reply

At 12/6/04 04:54 PM, madhatt3r wrote:

look.. i'm tired of you people saying that the star syndicate gets people to mass vote on the dailytoons.

i made two or three of those, and i know as a fact that no one is gathered to mass vote on them. a personal friend of mine was in charge of them for a while, and all he did was pick a random time during the day where he had nothing else to do, went to the dailytoon gmail account, picked 5 toons he had recieved in emails from ANYONE (you do not need to be a member of the star syndicate to make a daily toon) threw them all together with a menu and submitted them. they are just for fun, there is no conspiracy here, no organized mass voting. honestly, i enjoy them because it's just shitty fun, and it allows users with no skills to get something to thier name if they want.

having dailytoons isn't going to effect your life. we aren't stealing awards from more talented authors, nor are we enforcing our toons onto you guys. you can watch it, vote how you like, whatever. with something like an average score of 2.00, these things are nothing more than ordinary flash in the portal.

look; maybe some of your "daily toons" are good, I wouldn't know cause I have seen any, but how do the crappy ones pass judgement if people out there aren't mass voting?? I mean come on, there is alot more better stuff on newgrounds then that crud.

GooieGreen
GooieGreen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:33:43 Reply

At 12/6/04 11:45 AM, liljim wrote: Is that right.

yeah, it really is. God forbid I have standards that I hold people's work to. If I don't see it, I blam it. Besides, I highly doubt that's even my voting rank. I don't even vote 5 or 0, so nice try

MTN889
MTN889
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:35:54 Reply

Why do you people want more blams for saves? If I think its bad, I don't vote!

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:37:28 Reply

At 12/6/04 08:27 AM, -Mary- wrote:
At 12/6/04 08:15 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: God wade you make us feel like we're raping your children lol.
More like he's asking people to stop acting like children.

Wow of course, maybe that's why we're here at NG in the first place! To act completely grown up and matured.

SlyTom202
SlyTom202
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:42:00 Reply

BOUT TIME WE DID SOMTHING ABOUT THESE ASSHOLES!!!

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:43:51 Reply

At 12/6/04 06:42 PM, SlyTom202 wrote: BOUT TIME WE DID SOMTHING ABOUT THESE ASSHOLES!!!

Sounds like one little rebel has had too many movies blammed.

TheChaosDemon
TheChaosDemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:44:26 Reply

Wade Fulp scares me....

CreateAndDestroy
CreateAndDestroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:47:16 Reply

Wade, i am the one who you e-mailed
and two words
Thank you!

)
SlyTom202
SlyTom202
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:51:57 Reply

At 12/6/04 06:43 PM, Pilot-Doofy wrote:
At 12/6/04 06:42 PM, SlyTom202 wrote: BOUT TIME WE DID SOMTHING ABOUT THESE ASSHOLES!!!
Sounds like one little rebel has had too many movies blammed.

actually nope, dont do flash. just still art.... but iv seen good entrys be thrown away, fightin for the flashers

Satoshiji
Satoshiji
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:55:32 Reply

I was just on the verge of humping Wade's leg. Alot of crap Flash (Mine included, needless to say), have passed judgment. All the people who watch the Flash and vote to blam it are stripped of a BLAM point each time this happens. And the same for quality Flash, which is suffering greatly due to the carelessness of others. Hopefully the new changes will fix this. We shall wait and see. o_O

Yoshi-1up
Yoshi-1up
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:58:14 Reply

So do we have to watch the WHOLE movie?

Because once I see a stick figure movie AND the person doesnt have any movies submitted AND theres no icon AND theres no preloader.

I just blam it :P

Is that cool? I don't want my points deleted lol ^__________^

SlyTom202
SlyTom202
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 19:02:08 Reply

At 12/6/04 06:58 PM, Yoshi-1up wrote: So do we have to watch the WHOLE movie?

Because once I see a stick figure movie AND the person doesnt have any movies submitted AND theres no icon AND theres no preloader.

I just blam it :P

Is that cool? I don't want my points deleted lol ^__________^

id like to know the same thing, somtimes iv seen the movie allready submitted and vote on it half way through

nazibomb
nazibomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 19:02:13 Reply

At 12/6/04 06:26 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Most sites like Newgrounds.com already do this, so I don't see what the big fucking deal is. Log in if you don't want to see it, don't expect us to remove it becuase you're to fucking lazy to log in.

i never said i didn't want to see it, but thanks for hurting my feelings with your obscene and unnecessary words. i actually enjoy its nice little music clip and fade in. i was asking why it was there, that's all. no need to go into attack mode.

At 12/6/04 06:32 PM, Bob_Friskit wrote: look; maybe some of your "daily toons" are good, I wouldn't know cause I have seen any, but how do the crappy ones pass judgement if people out there aren't mass voting??

they actually suck, but that's not what i'm trying to prove. there are (at the most) 7 or 8 active star syndicate members on at a time. even if we went out of our way to gather up every possible member we could to be ready for a toon which we were about to submit, there would probably be only about 30 people ready to vote. it's impossible, really.

also, there's just no reason for us to waste our time gathering people up at different times each day for a stupid dailytoon. they're just for fum! it's not like we're putting something world moving onto newgrounds. like i said, we aren't stealing awards by use of any type of mass voting from people who deserve them more than us, nor are we trying to take over newgrounds with our shitty flash. just relax, vote 0 or whatever you want to vote on them, and move on. the same goes for the anti-toon clubs which are aparently forming now. mass voting on a shitty cartoon to get it blammed is still mass voting.

that's all i can say.

BBS Signature
dictator-of-da-world
dictator-of-da-world
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 19:08:32 Reply

thats not a bad idea.... although it may be tricky. like in places where you might want to go back to one part (scene selection) b4 deciding on what ur vote should be...

hmm....what about this?

Portal Voting

SwitchBladeClock
SwitchBladeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 19:09:22 Reply

i gotta question, if im in a rish, and gotta deposit quick, am i aloud to go to submissons i already veiwed, like some on the top 50, and vote on them without watching them again

and i know how you said your watching who is voting 0 all the time, well i practically do vote zero alot on the underjudment movies, but i do watch them, and they deserve it, is this ok, i vote fair on fair submissons though, and i always watch the whole thing before voting

DarkArchon
DarkArchon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 19:22:21 Reply

At 12/6/04 11:08 AM, pythagoras- wrote:
You say this is where a submission really deserves a fair vote, yet this is where users are rewarded for voting one way or another.

You havent been around since yesterday, and you have your own respectable site, so you should what your talking about.

If I vote Five on "LOLWTFPORNGAMES" and It is a Removeable score, I do NOT get rewarded.

If I read what you said wrong, elaborate.

My Email -- DarkArchon@Newgrounds.com ... LOL WOW this signature is ancient.

BBS Signature
swive
swive
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 19:26:37 Reply

At 12/6/04 06:44 PM, TheChaosDemon wrote: Wade Fulp scares me....

It's ok, he's not a pedophile. He's not going to hurt you.