New Topic Respond to this Topic
seventy-one
seventy-one
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-09-28 20:18:27 Reply

At 9/28/06 07:18 PM, pepeatumi wrote: I don't know... Darko Milicic was looking like an actual NBA player since being traded to Orlando, and along Dwight Howard that's a lot of size up-front, not to mention the double teams they'll command which could leave JJ Redick to do what he does best, and that's knock down long-range shots.

You're starting to convince me....espiecally with the Magic in the East, I'm leaning towards your side. But, I'll hold off until two weeks 'till, where I'll post my annual basketball picks.

pepeatumi
pepeatumi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-09-28 20:21:56 Reply

At 9/28/06 08:18 PM, seventy-one wrote:

You're starting to convince me....espiecally with the Magic in the East, I'm leaning towards your side. But, I'll hold off until two weeks 'till, where I'll post my annual basketball picks.

They probably won't win the East this season. Detroit, Miami and Chicago are all better than them but I won't be surprised if they end up fighting with the Lebrons for the 4th spot in the conference.

My name is pepeatumi... But you already knew that!

seventy-one
seventy-one
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-09-28 21:43:32 Reply

At 9/28/06 08:21 PM, pepeatumi wrote:
They probably won't win the East this season.

That was a miss-type. I meant to say, that I reinforce your argument, with the fact that they are in the East. The weaker conference.

FullyLoaded
FullyLoaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-01 10:17:20 Reply

Can i join?

Favorite player Kevin Garnett
Favorite team Detroit PIstons

What would you do?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity." - Albert Einstein
Yes, Newgrounds, that quote is dedicated 4 you.

BBS Signature
Xeniar
Xeniar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-07 22:45:53 Reply

At 9/28/06 08:21 PM, pepeatumi wrote:
They probably won't win the East this season. Detroit, Miami and Chicago are all better than them but I won't be surprised if they end up fighting with the Lebrons for the 4th spot in the conference.

Why is everyone predicting that the Cavs will be any good? The Bulls WILL be better. They don't have a superstar player, but have a better balanced team. Last year in the playoffs, they gave the Heat a challenge, and with those young players improving along with drafting Tyrus Thomas and picking up Brown and Ben, they'll be a threat.

I'm also looking at the Magic to be a playoff contender. If Hill can make another come back and stay and also Redick, they should be a 6th-8th place playoff berth. Also, with Darko improving. He's going to be a good player. Not a great one, but a good one.

Who is the team that has made little to no improvement this offseason? My opinion would be the 76ers. Franchise player is getting old, Webber doesn't help with his bionic legs, drafted a player similar to Iguodala, and there bench is pretty much the same. Only chance is if their young players improve, but I don't think that is enough.

Boston is a maybe. If over rated Telfair can show what he's got and the new guys coming in can contribute. Its a big maybe.

My favorite team, the Rockets, have to be one of the teams that gradually improved. I hope we can can some havoc come season time.

I'm so excited for this season. So many teams with interesting rosters.

( 23

Running up that hill....
": ( number goes here"

BBS Signature
wet-noodle
wet-noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-07 23:01:42 Reply

Hey can i join, im pretty good at basket ball if i do say so myself =D. im from england but i no a bit about american basket ball.

wet-noodle
wet-noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-07 23:03:38 Reply

At 10/7/06 11:01 PM, soggy-undies wrote: Hey can i join, im pretty good at basket ball if i do say so myself =D. im from england but i no a bit about american basket ball.

Sorry about the double post i forgot my favourite player and team.

favourite player: Kobe Bryant or Shaquile O'neil
favourite team: L.A Lakers

pepeatumi
pepeatumi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 00:06:01 Reply

At 10/7/06 10:45 PM, DaSadGirl wrote:
Why is everyone predicting that the Cavs will be any good? The Bulls WILL be better. They don't have a superstar player, but have a better balanced team. Last year in the playoffs, they gave the Heat a challenge, and with those young players improving along with drafting Tyrus Thomas and picking up Brown and Ben, they'll be a threat.

People are predicting Cleveland doing good because there's not much else in the Eastern Conference. Detroit, Miami and Chicago look like the only championship contenders in the East.

I'm also looking at the Magic to be a playoff contender. If Hill can make another come back and stay and also Redick, they should be a 6th-8th place playoff berth. Also, with Darko improving. He's going to be a good player. Not a great one, but a good one.

I agree with Orlando being a contender but it would have to be without Grant Hill. They actually started playing better when Hill got hurt. I woud put Turkoglu as the Small Forward because of the range factor. Darko and Howard are probably going to get double-teamed and they'll need shooters to knock down open shots.

My favorite team, the Rockets, have to be one of the teams that gradually improved. I hope we can can some havoc come season time.

Adding Shane Battier and Bonzi Wells will be a big help to the Rockets. I expect Yao Ming to have his best season but the Rockets fate will depend on Mcgrady's health. If he can stay healthy the Rockets will be great, if not... meh.

seventy-one
seventy-one
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 02:11:27 Reply

At 10/7/06 11:03 PM, soggy-undies wrote:
favourite player: or Shaquile O'neil

That's an oxymoron. A paradox. It shouldn't exist within the fabric of the NBA space-time continuum.

Xeniar
Xeniar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 13:36:47 Reply

At 10/8/06 12:06 AM, pepeatumi wrote:
People are predicting Cleveland doing good because there's not much else in the Eastern Conference. Detroit, Miami and Chicago look like the only championship contenders in the East.

They really don't have anyone except for LeBron. Big Z isn't getting any better and he played like a punk, last season. The biggest team though that has age problems in my opinion would have to be, San Antonio. Look at how many of their players are getting old. Finley, Horry, Barry, Van Exel(might retire), Bowen, Duncan, and Williams(who they just brought in.)

I agree with Orlando being a contender but it would have to be without Grant Hill. They actually started playing better when Hill got hurt. I woud put Turkoglu as the Small Forward because of the range factor. Darko and Howard are probably going to get double-teamed and they'll need shooters to knock down open shots.

Hedo played great at the end of the season. I would rather see him come off of the bench, though since the Magic don't have that great of a bench.

Adding Shane Battier and Bonzi Wells will be a big help to the Rockets. I expect Yao Ming to have his best season but the Rockets fate will depend on Mcgrady's health. If he can stay healthy the Rockets will be great, if not... meh.

The problem I see is that Bonzi isn't an outside player, but will fit in Van Gundy's system well since he's more of a banger and inside player. I'm hoping McGrady doesn't hurt himself this season. The Rockets will make the playoffs, this season.

The teams I'm looking forward to would have to be

Toronto
Charlotte
T-Wolves
Celtics
Blazers

and the reason is because those are 'big maybe' teams. Either they have a good season, or don't. Its like a 50/50 thing. I know the Blazers won't be great, but I want to see an improvement.

( 23

Running up that hill....

BBS Signature
pepeatumi
pepeatumi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 13:41:53 Reply

At 10/8/06 01:36 PM, DaSadGirl wrote:
The teams I'm looking forward to would have to be

Toronto
Charlotte
T-Wolves
Celtics
Blazers

and the reason is because those are 'big maybe' teams. Either they have a good season, or don't. Its like a 50/50 thing. I know the Blazers won't be great, but I want to see an improvement.

I don't expect the Blazer to show much improvement even with Aldridge and Roy. They still have some players that shouldn't be there... (Darius Miles).

The Bobcats could be a surprise in the East, if Sean May can be effective and more importantly stay healthy.

Minnesota will improve with Randy Foye and Mike James but KG will need to hae a BIG year for the T'wolves to make some noise in the west.

Xeniar
Xeniar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 14:15:24 Reply

At 10/8/06 01:41 PM, pepeatumi wrote:
I don't expect the Blazer to show much improvement even with Aldridge and Roy. They still have some players that shouldn't be there... (Darius Miles).

I agree that he's a big problem. Bad for team chemistry and just a waste of space. He thinks to highly of himself. I see him more of a pf that does the dirty work. The problem with that, is that he sees himself more of a scorer. He can't even dribble the damn ball. I could compare him to Stromile Swift, without post-up moves and better athleticism.

The Bobcats could be a surprise in the East, if Sean May can be effective and more importantly stay healthy.

I don't see him being an important piece. He'll be coming off of the bench, most likely. He'll be a good player. As good at Michael Sweetney, though.

Minnesota will improve with Randy Foye and Mike James but KG will need to hae a BIG year for the T'wolves to make some noise in the west.

I think they should have kept Brandon Roy. Randy and James are too similar. KG will do his regular 24pt/13rb per game. I would like to see him get 26pts pg, instead. I'm hoping for the best of this team because its my favorite and KG deserves to win. I feel bad for him as much as Iverson.

( 23

Running up that hill....

BBS Signature
wet-noodle
wet-noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 14:33:33 Reply

At 10/8/06 02:11 AM, seventy-one wrote:
That's an oxymoron. A paradox. It shouldn't exist within the fabric of the NBA space-time continuum.

And that meens............?

seventy-one
seventy-one
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 14:37:09 Reply

At 10/8/06 02:33 PM, soggy-undies wrote:

Its impossible to be a Laker fan and a Shaquille O'Neil fan at the same time.

wet-noodle
wet-noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 14:38:15 Reply

At 10/8/06 02:37 PM, seventy-one wrote:
At 10/8/06 02:33 PM, soggy-undies wrote:
Its impossible to be a Laker fan and a Shaquille O'Neil fan at the same time.

No it isnt, i like shaquile and L.A Lakers its not like im absoluptley crazy over him.

seventy-one
seventy-one
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 14:52:35 Reply

At 10/8/06 02:38 PM, soggy-undies wrote: No it isnt, i like shaquile and L.A Lakers its not like im absoluptley crazy over him.

It was just a joke. I was commmenting on how the more diehard Laker fans absolutely hate and despise Shaq after that whole fiasco.

wet-noodle
wet-noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 14:56:36 Reply

At 10/8/06 02:52 PM, seventy-one wrote:
At 10/8/06 02:38 PM, soggy-undies wrote: No it isnt, i like shaquile and L.A Lakers its not like im absoluptley crazy over him.
It was just a joke. I was commmenting on how the more diehard Laker fans absolutely hate and despise Shaq after that whole fiasco.

Ahh well im from england so i dont no what your talking about Lol.

seventy-one
seventy-one
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 15:04:37 Reply

At 10/8/06 02:56 PM, soggy-undies wrote:

This is what I'm talking about.

I still don't buy that the feud is over. Just in the way they talk, act and the like. For example, Shaq hates the new ball, Kobe then comes out and says he likes it, and makes comments about how he would learn to play basketball with anything (or something to that effect).

wet-noodle
wet-noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-08 15:07:22 Reply

At 10/8/06 03:04 PM, seventy-one wrote:
At 10/8/06 02:56 PM, soggy-undies wrote:
This is what I'm talking about.

I still don't buy that the feud is over. Just in the way they talk, act and the like. For example, Shaq hates the new ball, Kobe then comes out and says he likes it, and makes comments about how he would learn to play basketball with anything (or something to that effect).

Awwwwww atleast its a happy ending.... even if it was a fight shaquile would have kicked kobe's ass, see the size of him.. he is a monster.

seventy-one
seventy-one
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-12 22:21:41 Reply

Preseason's a starting. I'm liking this Lakers team, Vladimir Radmonivic, Kwame Brown, and Lamar Odom as your front three. With the above-average Smush Parker and Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant in the back. Not only that, but their bench is deep. Unlike the '04 team, they don't have to worry if one of their starting 5 is injured or needs a rest, they have some serious depth. Its crazy, this is a sleeper team. I'll post how far I think they'll go later in my official annual basketball picks.

pepeatumi
pepeatumi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-12 22:35:38 Reply

The team that looked good was wait for it.... The Pistons, they just killed the HEat 2 days ago and the most surprising things were seeing Nazr Mohammed be incredibly productive (16 points 8 boards and 4 steals) mostly against the Heat starting five. Mmore surprising is the fact that Detroit looks to finally have a bench that can produce.

And one more thing about Nazr, he makes his free-throws so there won't be a Hack-a-Nazr like teams used to do with Ben Wallace.

seventy-one
seventy-one
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-13 00:24:54 Reply

At 10/12/06 10:35 PM, pepeatumi wrote: The team that looked good was wait for it.... The Pistons,

They do look good, but who wasn't expecting it?

And one more thing about Nazr, he makes his free-throws so there won't be a Hack-a-Nazr like teams used to do with Ben Wallace.

I loved Nazr at San Antonio, I thought it would be good for the Lakers to pick him up, but instead they got Radmonivic. But, yeah, he's a pretty dern good player. Tremendoulsy underrated, I thought he was better than Rasho in San Antonio, but they didn't give him the playing time.

Xeniar
Xeniar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-13 01:19:16 Reply

At 10/13/06 12:24 AM, seventy-one wrote:
I loved Nazr at San Antonio, I thought it would be good for the Lakers to pick him up, but instead they got Radmonivic. But, yeah, he's a pretty dern good player. Tremendoulsy underrated, I thought he was better than Rasho in San Antonio, but they didn't give him the playing time.

I thought he was good when he was with the Knicks. Vlad is better, I think. I wanted him to stay with the Clippers, though.

Lakers played nice today. I liked what I saw from Farmar(10pts/5ass.) and even Bynum showed some game. Turiaf played well with his hustle style. Seattle sucks.

( 23

Running up that hill....

BBS Signature
defmaster1212
defmaster1212
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-17 19:27:39 Reply

ill join i like nj nets by t he way since i just joined i have a question im having a little trouble with my jump shot cud u help me out i put 2 much power into it what do u do that works

pepeatumi
pepeatumi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-17 19:30:44 Reply

At 10/17/06 07:27 PM, defmaster1212 wrote: ill join i like nj nets by t he way since i just joined i have a question im having a little trouble with my jump shot cud u help me out i put 2 much power into it what do u do that works

Its all in the wrists and remember to follow through on your shot even after the ball has left your hands... That's usually what I do, but its bette for you to find a way in which you're comfortable when shooting.

Xeniar
Xeniar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-17 20:47:35 Reply

At 10/17/06 07:30 PM, pepeatumi wrote:
Its all in the wrists and remember to follow through on your shot even after the ball has left your hands... That's usually what I do, but its bette for you to find a way in which you're comfortable when shooting.

Actually, it isn't ALL in the wrists. The angle of your elbow, the distance on where your helping hand is at, and the timing of your shot, all matter.

Anyways, I can't wait to watch Shuan Livingston improve more and more, this season. Has anyone seen any of his highlights for the pre-season, so far? He's playing just as I predicted. I guarantee he's going to be better than Steve Nash.

( 23

Running up that hill....

BBS Signature
pepeatumi
pepeatumi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-17 20:52:05 Reply

At 10/17/06 08:47 PM, DaSadGirl wrote:
Actually, it isn't ALL in the wrists. The angle of your elbow, the distance on where your helping hand is at, and the timing of your shot, all matter.

Like I said, I was talking about what works for me.

Anyways, I can't wait to watch Shuan Livingston improve more and more, this season. Has anyone seen any of his highlights for the pre-season, so far? He's playing just as I predicted. I guarantee he's going to be better than Steve Nash.

I won't go that far just yet... Nash is a back-to-back MVP winner and although Livingston has the potential he's not there yet. With that said, I do want to see him play I felt that in the playoffs he started to breakout and had a couple of good games, its just a matter of giving him some more playing time... And he likes to play defense, that alone tells you that he's commited to improving.

Xeniar
Xeniar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-17 21:38:01 Reply

At 10/17/06 08:52 PM, pepeatumi wrote:
Like I said, I was talking about what works for me.

Yes, you have your points. To tell you the truth, I shoot different all the time. I try to take slow, cocked-back shots like KG, and then shoot fast like Marion. Everyone has their own strokes, but its best to release the ball when you're at the peak of your jump.

I won't go that far just yet... Nash is a back-to-back MVP winner and although Livingston has the potential he's not there yet. With that said, I do want to see him play I felt that in the playoffs he started to breakout and had a couple of good games, its just a matter of giving him some more playing time... And he likes to play defense, that alone tells you that he's commited to improving.

Just yet, but as far as his future career, I know it. I sometimes even compare him to Magic Johnson, but of course he won't be like him. Just that he's a tall and great passer. Livingston has a better shot and is more athletic, though. I'm hoping he doesn't get injured any more. He plays more aggressive now on the offensive end and thats what I wanted to see. He knows when to pass the ball and when to shoot, now. On defense, he's solid.

And to get this thread going some more, I'm just going to do this for fun. I'd like to see strong points, weak points, and overall whos better in your opinions.

Who is better?:

Nash or Stockton?

Shaq, Chamberlain, Yao, or Hakeem?

LeBron, Kobe, or MJ?

KG, Duncan, or Jermaine Oneal?

Marion, Kirilenko, or Artest?

( 23

Running up that hill....

BBS Signature
pepeatumi
pepeatumi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-17 22:01:18 Reply

About the shooting I agree. I alter my shot everytime to see what gives the best results... As for the comparisons of players... here I go.

Nash or Stockton?

I take Stockton, both of them made their teammates better (would the mailman be a hall-of-famer without Stockton and the pick and roll) . Stockton was as good as shooter as Nash and he was a better defender than nash. Nash has the MVP's but like Stockton he doesn't have a ring. And Stockton is the all-time assists leader (by far). Nash is the better free throw shooter of the two but Stockton wasn't bad at the line, so again overall I take Stockton.

Shaq, Chamberlain, Yao or Hakeem?

I love yao Ming, but he shouldn't even be in this conversation yet, he's got a lot basketball ahead of him. I can't take Chamberlain because he's overrated, I know he dropped 100 but he was 7 feet tall and the second tallest Center was Russel (he was 6'9) so Wilt wasn't facing any real threats. Shaq is Shaq and probably more dominant than Shaq but his terrible free-throw shooting hurts him despite his four rings (Plus, you can't forget Wade and Kobe who helped him in getting his rings). So, I'm taking the dream Hakeem Olajuwon go look at the footage from the 1995 finals and you'll see Hakkem dominated, toyed with the opposing Center who was... Shaq! Olajuwon was solid from the free-throw line had 3-point range (though he rarely shot them) and had a vast array of moves in the post... Not to mention his defense.

Lebron, Kobe or MJ?

Jordan... Because he's Jordan. Lebron hasn't won anything abd Kobe hasn't won anything without Shaq (nor has he won an MVP).. There's more reason but overall Jordan is, was and will always be Da Man. A Great leader, a Fierce Competitor a great defender not to mention his offense... Again, Its Jordan.

KG, Duncan or Jermaine O'Neal?

I would take Duncan, despite his troubles from the line he's a great defender, great in the low-block and really can't be guarded (except by Sheed) and he has the rings. For as great as David Robinson was he didn't win a title until Duncan arrived in San Antonio. Jermaine O'Neal is probably the worst of the three although he's a great player I've always felt he lacks that somethng to lead his team over the hump.. And then there's KG, probably no other player I respect more, he plays hard and plays hard through injuries, his team may not be that good, but its throuh no fault of his. He didn't let Casell go, he didn't ignore Sprewell when it came to his contract negotiations (but that's a whole different story). The one gripe about KG is tha's he doesn't post up often, he can but he just doesn't do it and he prefers to settle for long jumpshots. And he did go 7 seasons without getting out of the first round of the playoffs.. So, Duncan, FTW!

Marion, Kirilenko or Artest?

I'm taking the Matrix, despite his funky looking jumpshot. Artest is great but he comes with too much baggage although he's the best defender of the three. Kirilenko is a Fantasy league player's wet dream.. He scores, blocks shots, grab eboubds, has steals and does the hustle plays... but he can't stay healthy so for now he's out. Marion can also do it all but last year he stepped up, not to mention he was playing at the Power Forward position and guarding bigger men than him.. The only knock on him is that sometimes he relies too much on the three instead of relying on his athleticism. But overall he gets the nod.

And that's it... for now, I might write more later if I feel like it.

ElMaster
ElMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to American Basketball CrEw 2006-10-18 00:54:30 Reply

Hey have you guys seen NBA.com's redesign? I think it looks a lot better.

At 10/17/06 09:38 PM, DaSadGirl wrote: Who is better?:

I'm only going to comment on these cause I think the other two are pretty obvious.

KG, Duncan, or Jermaine Oneal?

Definitely Duncan. Although he's one of my most hated players, I have to admit he's one of the best PFs in nba history. The only thing I would like him to improve is his passion and emotion display on games. I want to see him pumped up, screaming, excited....

Marion, Kirilenko, or Artest?

AK-47 is one of the best all-around players in the league. With some effort, I'm sure he could reach a quadruple-double somewhere in his career. But Marion is much more valuable as a player. He's a great scorer, rebounder, and more importantly he plays perfectly in the Suns' style of play. I'm gonna go with Marion here.