Archaos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 11/19/04 06:13 PM, Afro_Ninja wrote: ooohhhhhhhhh snap motherfuckers

(EB had ONE copy)

I demand you play it right now and tell me if there is bad slowdown.

swive
swive
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 06:27 PM Reply

(EB had ONE copy)

OOH. I can't for the Gamecube release. Then, I would be able to praise or scold this game with proof!

deleted-3
deleted-3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 06:38 PM Reply

I will never buy it or even look at it so it doesn't even matter. Also $30 isn't worth it. I could just get it just some other way.

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 06:48 PM Reply

At 11/19/04 06:26 PM, Archaos wrote:

(EB had ONE copy)
I demand you play it right now and tell me if there is bad slowdown.

after playing through the first four levels yes, there is minor slowdown. a little bit when playing the levels, and a little bit more when fighting some of the big bosses.

but this game is so fucking fun it doesn't matter : D

So many powerups, explosions, killing, all that good stuff. Much better than the new contra games

BBS Signature
LordRobbo
LordRobbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 07:36 PM Reply

Why didn't you put it on Xbox Mr Fulp? There would be no slowdown that others are complaining about and it would sell more then the GC.

ChaosEnthusiast
ChaosEnthusiast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 08:18 PM Reply

Fuck X-box the only thing its got going for it is Halo. People who play massive ammounts of X-box are gay. Oh congrats on the game Tom i'll buy a copy to have hours of fun by myself or with friends and to help support your efforts in the market and um shit.

TitusRevised
TitusRevised
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 08:40 PM Reply

buttwhipes....shoulda given it a 9.0 or above

Vrekir
Vrekir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 09:24 PM Reply

EB had it for me too. God damn it Tom, why'd you have to make it so awesome? Now I'll never leave my PS2 ever again!

TurboGeek421
TurboGeek421
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 09:26 PM Reply

WHAT!!! This game deserves at least a damn 10!!!! 10, 10, 10, 10, 10!!!!!!

Thank goodness for bathtubs and suds.

DanPaladin
DanPaladin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 10:53 PM Reply

At 11/19/04 10:30 PM, metalonslaught04 wrote: Dear tom, i dont know who convinced you that releasing ah now was a good idea, but if you ever make another game fire whoever told you that. if you would have waited til jan or feb it might have stood a chance. no i dont really like ah but still it could have paved the way for better games

it IS standing a chance. it's doing really well against the competition. its reviews are averaging higher than many of the console titles this holiday season. AH is in over 16 magazines and has been put on TV.

....so what were you saying again?

Openwounds
Openwounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 10:58 PM Reply

when is it going to be in canada? I want to rent it.

Blah Blah Blah..

White-Rhyno
White-Rhyno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 11/19/04 10:53 PM, DanPaladin wrote: ....so what were you saying again?

Something along the lines of shoot that fucker out to Australia. Or something.

Will you guys be selling PAL versions from the website, cause I'd rather my money go to you guys than EB.

ChaosFoot
ChaosFoot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 11:30 PM Reply

Yeah, I just bought AH a few hours ago, most of the people at Software, Etc. had no idea what I was talking about, but Gamestop had 2 copies, so I got it, it's insanely great, just the first level was great, good to see the running bot (from the flash game) made the cut. The PDA is fun (my friends and I played it to lvl 40 with 4 layers). I must say, the art was great, and the coding was brilliant, just had to say that.

Your reply to this isn't going to be clever or witty, so just put down the internet and go outside.
Seriously Serious
Listen to better music.

BBS Signature
Dorde-Ultima
Dorde-Ultima
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 11:53 PM Reply

man, i want it so bad. i think it will be better than san andreas!

iamvandal
iamvandal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 19th, 2004 @ 11:53 PM Reply

I made an account just to post about this game.

I purchased the only copy available in my area today. How lucky I am. (:

To those of you wondering about slow-down... Perhaps all PS2s are not made equally, because I have only experienced slow-down TWICE... and I have played through maybe 80% of the game. Once was during a cutscene... so it didn't even matter... and the other was during a boss fight on a high-speed graphic intense train ride... and it was so minimal that it didn't effect the fight whatsoever... This game is well worthy of the scores it is receiving... There are some (small) things that are annoyances... but this game has so much personality, fun, and moments where you just laugh because it's so insane.

I will admit to the cheap deaths, though... sometimes I don't even realize I've died... the game is almost TOO incredibly fast paced... with some situations that are absolutely ridiculous... it's easy to earn points for extra lives, though... so it balances out. Most importantly, though... you have gotta see the bosses... the flash bosses are only the beginning of the creativity... once the game gets into Russia, the bosses get straight up CRAZY. All of them are very different, as well... I think they've created some of the most entertaining bosses in the shooting genre... heck, you just need to get the game.

Well done, Tom and Dan.

I recommend this game to everyone... even the pessimists who seem to hate everything. (:

but ehhhh someone help me :| I am lost when it comes to the hats... I have more than half of them but I don't even know how I earned them.

ChaosFoot
ChaosFoot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 12:33 AM Reply

At 11/19/04 11:30 PM, ChaosFoot wrote: Ass kissery

Just figured I'd add just one small gripe, the hit detection in the PDA is kind of bad, just figured I'd add that, as if Tom will ever read this.

Your reply to this isn't going to be clever or witty, so just put down the internet and go outside.
Seriously Serious
Listen to better music.

BBS Signature
bigbadron
bigbadron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 01:37 AM Reply

At 11/20/04 01:15 AM, metalonslaught04 wrote: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas: 9.6
Halo 2: 9.4
Half Life 2: 9.2
Metriod Prime 2: 9.1
Metal Gear Solid 3: 8.7
Jak 3: 8.6
Alien Hominid: 8.4

why not try comparing the score of alien hominid to scores of games that have SIMILAR GAMEPLAY.

Metal Slug 3 - 7.5
Neo Contra - 6.8
Contra: Shattered Soldier - 7.6

don't try to compare games that are completely different.

these scores are taken from gamespot, showing that out of the big titles comming out this season it's at the bottom, currently it has been released for 3 days yet about 25% of eb's have it on the shelves while walmart doesn't have it at all. based on it's lower price it has to sell more copies to turn a profit, your product isn't getting out there mr paladin. even ng users say it lags, so unless you have a sales chart showing it's selling as well as the other big games dont get your hopes up. i know it's your baby but this isn't a fairytale.

i take it you've never heard of a game called Katamari Damacy. budget title, only $20. got an 8.7. it's on it's way to becoming the sleeper hit of the year. you can't find that game anywhere because it's an obscure title. Tom and Dan are in the same boat. they are video game virgins, in a sense, virtually unknown. stores aren't big on taking risks with small games.

by the way, i've only seen one person complain about lag. and they bought it on ps2. what did they expect? >:)

so, in short, wipe your ass before you talk out of it.

GameSpot AH Review!

TvP
TvP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 01:40 AM Reply

Well good job guys, you should be proud. A good review from a great gaming website.

BBS Signature
Ninjahunter
Ninjahunter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 01:42 AM Reply

At 11/19/04 10:30 PM, metalonslaught04 wrote: Dear tom, i dont know who convinced you that releasing ah now was a good idea, but if you ever make another game fire whoever told you that. halo 2, gta, half life2, mgs, metriod, knights of the old republic 2, the list goes on. if you would have waited til jan or feb it might have stood a chance. no i dont really like ah but still it could have paved the way for better games

Id have to agree I mean its great that u got a game out there but since its kind of an uknown title from an unknown company u might not fair well against nintendo, rockstar, bungie or konami. I am planning to get it but not before I get MGS 3( I got halo 2 and thinkin about metroid). All Im sayin is that u should of waited till after the holiday season cuz as u can tell thats when all the heavy hitters come out.

Outraged-Josh
Outraged-Josh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 01:59 AM Reply

I think AH will go great, it looks terrific, cant wait to play it, great game Tom and Dan, you guys rok! well what i want to know is it coming to Australia? Because ive only heard it goes to US and Europe, does some1 know if it can? well i cant wait! Awesome.

bigbadron
bigbadron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 02:11 AM Reply

At 11/20/04 02:02 AM, metalonslaught04 wrote: the argument was not if it is a good game it's if it will sell. i compared t to those because of the fact they are eating up the gamer's doller

most gamers that play those games you listed wouldn't think about playing a 2D side-scroller in the first place. that's why you compare games of a similar genre.

there are a good many games made in a year that are really good, AH might be a sleeper but wish in one hand crap in the other....

i don't see how that is relevant to what i said. i was saying that it's not the gamers that aren't buying the game, it'as the store that choose not to stock it.

there where more but that said it lagged, but how is it that games with better graphics, more interactivity, and larger altogether run fine on ps2? thats lame blaming a console for bugs in the game.

it's called a "joke."

and to the people that cpmplain about the lag, big deal. both GTA:SA and Halo 2 have lag. stop crying.

if you say so

i insist.

DanPaladin
DanPaladin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 11/20/04 01:15 AM, metalonslaught04 wrote: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas: 9.6
Halo 2: 9.4
Half Life 2: 9.2
Metriod Prime 2: 9.1
Metal Gear Solid 3: 8.7
Jak 3: 8.6
Alien Hominid: 8.4

i am honored to have worked on a game that is 0.2 and 0.3 away from jak and metal gear solid!!!

bigbadron
bigbadron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 03:22 AM Reply

At 11/20/04 03:20 AM, DanPaladin wrote: i am honored to have worked on a game that is 0.2 and 0.3 away from jak and metal gear solid!!!

you were only .02 behind Viewtiful Joe 2 as well, Danny boy.

DanPaladin
DanPaladin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 03:26 AM Reply

At 11/19/04 11:53 PM, iamvandal wrote: I made an account just to post about this game.

I purchased the only copy available in my area today. How lucky I am. (:

To those of you wondering about slow-down... Perhaps all PS2s are not made equally, because I have only experienced slow-down TWICE... and I have played through maybe 80% of the game. Once was during a cutscene... so it didn't even matter... and the other was during a boss fight on a high-speed graphic intense train ride... and it was so minimal that it didn't effect the fight whatsoever... This game is well worthy of the scores it is receiving... There are some (small) things that are annoyances... but this game has so much personality, fun, and moments where you just laugh because it's so insane.

I will admit to the cheap deaths, though... sometimes I don't even realize I've died... the game is almost TOO incredibly fast paced... with some situations that are absolutely ridiculous... it's easy to earn points for extra lives, though... so it balances out. Most importantly, though... you have gotta see the bosses... the flash bosses are only the beginning of the creativity... once the game gets into Russia, the bosses get straight up CRAZY. All of them are very different, as well... I think they've created some of the most entertaining bosses in the shooting genre... heck, you just need to get the game.

Well done, Tom and Dan.

I recommend this game to everyone... even the pessimists who seem to hate everything. (:

but ehhhh someone help me :| I am lost when it comes to the hats... I have more than half of them but I don't even know how I earned them.

awesome vandal, i am so glad you created an account to share this with us!

the hats usually come from either clearing a level or doing a specific deed. for instance, if you shoot down the helicopter with the tank you have in 1-3, you shall unlock the tank goggle hat.

everyone i have talked to agrees that the slow down is not often so i am feeling a bit better about those comments.

please let us know how you feel when you have completed the game!! :D

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 03:43 AM Reply

At 11/19/04 08:17 AM, TomFulp wrote: Gamespot gave Alien Hominid an 8.4!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/alienhominid/index.html

AH should be a 10 :)

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

<deleted>
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 03:48 AM Reply

At 11/20/04 03:26 AM, DanPaladin wrote: everyone i have talked to agrees that the slow down is not often so i am feeling a bit better about those comments.

I would personally take the slow downs as a compliment. Not only have you jammed enough uber-ass animation into a scene, but so much so that it can slow the game down. Hardly anyone can do that =P.

Every single side-scroller gave I have played has those slow downs. It's just part of the series. Gunstar Heroes had them (ESPECIALLY ON THE HARDEST DIFFICULTY WHEN YOU SLIDE THROUGH BADDIES), Contra had them, hell, even MGS had them. I isn't as bad as people say it is, they are just getting spoiled and haven't played a great side-scroller in awhile =P.

please let us know how you feel when you have completed the game!! :D

Going to buy the game as soon as I can fork the money up for it. Going to grab that and HL2. Rar.

blaq-rob
blaq-rob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 04:07 AM Reply

about the slowdown i dont know but i DO know that a TON of people dont treat the ps2 corretcly i own one i have since the day it came out and little things like leaving it in stanby seems to be the difference between mine never breaking and the people who have had to replace there once or twice

Gheyz0r
Gheyz0r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 04:12 AM Reply

do you mean you should leave it on standby or you shouldn't?

ugur
ugur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to GameSpot AH Review! Nov. 20th, 2004 @ 04:48 AM Reply

hey there,first time in ages i´m posting here (too busy..)
I agree with some who said it´d be better if the game was released a bit after the blockbuster packed christmas business,anyway,i also agree with others who said that all those blockbusters don´t have comparable gameplay with ah.
so people who´re into playing wicked 2d games will buy ah earlier or later anyway.
I´m a game developer myself and when doing a 2d jump´n´shoot,we of course aim to be on par with the big ones like the metal slug or contra series,isn´t it awesome ah got higher score than those?
I´m in germany,wanted to buy it from the ah store but as they don´t sent to germany,i ordered from ebay.
(partly because i love games with 2d gameplay,partly because it looks like it has lots of friggin yummy fun elements and partly because i want to support other indy developers =D )
kudos to dan and tom,wish you good luck with it =)