00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Beijing and Taiwan...

757 Views | 11 Replies

Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-14 23:57:42

Hello everyone,

What is your opinions on Beijing's threat to wage war with Taiwan if Taiwan were to declare independence of China?

What is known that Taiwan; despite being a small city, has their own Nuclear Weapons program.

I personally believe that the war would cause nothing but disaster to one of the world's largest International ports (a.k.a Hong Kong) and the industries which are reliant on the oceans (Fish, Sea-life, etc...). Though my biggest concern would be how Kong Kong would be affected if War was to happen, because Hong Kong is a neutral city which is on the coast between Taiwan and Mainland China...

So, what opinions does everyone have of this?

Next Release ETA: ?

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 05:30:05

At 11/15/04 02:05 AM, Jimsween wrote: Hmm.. this raises an interesting question. If America gets involved, how will we be able to tell the Chinese from the Taiwanese?

Well there are three different variations of Chinese...
Cantonese, Mandarin and Taiwanese.

All share similar vocabulary, but it's pronounced differently.

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 05:35:50

There was a post about Chinese military strength before where I posted this link, it seems suitable to put here too. The report is under the impression that China does not have the strength to take on taiwan. http://www.comw.org/cmp/fulltext/iddschina.html

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 05:40:57

At 11/15/04 02:05 AM, Jimsween wrote: Hmm.. this raises an interesting question. If America gets involved, how will we be able to tell the Chinese from the Taiwanese?

This is either the most brilliant or most retarded post you have ever made.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 10:04:28

Not that I think they should take on their own country in the first place... Though Taiwan is trying to declare independence, I don't see why they should.

And what would a war solve? It solves nothing other than over-population.

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 10:42:40

At 11/15/04 10:04 AM, HaroFreak wrote: Not that I think they should take on their own country in the first place... Though Taiwan is trying to declare independence, I don't see why they should.

um they want self ditermination and dont want to be part of a totalitarian olagarcy. (sp) besides why should they be part of China if they are self sefichent when it comes to there economy?

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 11:57:34

At 11/15/04 10:42 AM, _Thanatopsis_ wrote: um they want self ditermination and dont want to be part of a totalitarian olagarcy.

Assuming that you're trying to mention that Taiwan wants Self Determination and judgement in their economic choices and they do not want to be part of a Totalitarian Legacy... In what way is China a to- Wait, they are trying, especially after than Article 23 and slow SARS Response incident.

besides why should they be part of China if they are self sefichent when it comes to there economy?

But why Nuclear Weapons of all things? They know clear that Hiroshima was a horrible event...

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 12:43:25

china not a totalitarian regime tell that to the 100+ student protester run over by tanks in Tienimi (sp) square. there a nation were you are punished for speaking out against its policys. its one party and has been since WWII at least. im prity sure that it didnt have any parlement when they had their emperers so then they have always been a one party nation.

on to Nukes, when china launches icbms to land just off your coastline you start to think that maybe you need deterents against nations that are hostile to you.

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 14:08:09

I believe that while China has the desire to bring Taiwan back into the fold of the Beijing gov't, they realize tat it is too risky in the terms of their global diplomatic and economic image to at this point suppress the 'revolt' on Taiwan.

I believe that China has little right to invade Taiwan, as the government currently standing on that island is the remnants of Chang Kai-Shek's Nationalist government. Both nations have more to gain through mutual economic contact than egging on acivil war that ended in '49.

At the same time, if China does decide to bring this conflict to a head, the worl dneeds to evaluate whether or not Taiwan is worth militarily confronting China. This is especially the case for the United States, who at this point promises all-out war with China if they are to invade Taiwan. *gulp*

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-15 17:55:19

Well, if China does invade Taiwan, and the US or the UN doesn't kick them out, they might as well invade South Korea and Japan while they are at it.

Also, this can create an oppertunity for the US to turn China democratic if China does launch a war against Taiwan.

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2004-11-16 20:47:08

At 11/15/04 06:10 PM, Jimsween wrote: Is that a crack at the chinese system of currency? Because if it is....

Well, there ARE three different currencies...

Hong Kong - the HKD
China - The Chinese Yuan
Taiwan - the TWD (I think)

Response to Beijing and Taiwan... 2017-07-01 02:33:04

At 11/16/04 08:47 PM, HaroFreak wrote:
At 11/15/04 06:10 PM, Jimsween wrote: Is that a crack at the chinese system of currency? Because if it is....
Well, there ARE three different currencies...

Hong Kong - the HKD
China - The Chinese Yuan
Taiwan - the TWD (I think)

What about Macao? It has their own currency...