00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writer's Guild

206,603 Views | 4,991 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-03-13 05:21:22

ok, so ive started to hang around the BBS lately because i'm trying to get some of my work out there. I haven't had the time to actually write up my stories yet because college is a real workload, but I've written down a few ideas for sotries.

In fact i'm planning a project sometime in the future - whenever I get a lot of free time - called '14 Shorts in 4' (inspired by Adam Phillips 30 shorts in 30 days) where i write 14 short stories over the duration of four weeks, or one story for every 2 days for a month. I'm well on my way to having each story idea down on paper, but im refusing to allow myself to start writing them until I start the project.

Here are two stories that came from my planning that I submitted to the Storybook Collab, but haven't been picked up yet, and I was wondering if you folks wouldn't mind giving me some critisism on them (or if you like them a lot, work with me on a flash about them :P).

Bear in mind that they are more of a summery than a story because I've been so crammed to write lately (and i don't want to write them up and miss using them in the story in case they dont get picked up for a collab!), but I'm sure you will get a good idea about them.

Story One: The Best Gift - http://arthur-swordswinger.newgrounds.co m/news/post/279125

Story Two: Words like Daggers - http://arthur-swordswinger.newgrounds.co m/news/post/279128

As mentioned above, critisism is welcomed, and feedback in general is requested. I'm willing to create new material for an animation or collab. I'm more of a serious writer with a message then a comedic writer as well.

Thanks guys, I hope to hear back from yas :D

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-03-14 22:17:48

If anyone is looking for something to read......
http://themanthelegend.newgrounds.com/ne ws/post/279609

I voice act, therefore.....

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-03-15 00:09:08

With all the Video Game parodies on NG, I'm sure that other people besides me wouldn't mind more serious interpretations of Video Games. Fully developed stories, movies with heart, movies where it isn't all just for teh lulz. Personally I like both, but I'd still like to see more of the latter. I've been mulling an idea around in my head for a while, but since I don't have flash or animation skills, I haven't really done anything. The idea is for an alternate ending to the first Metal Gear Solid, without giving too much away it involves a certain plot twist from the second game, just slightly altered.

Anyone who's interested, feel free to contact me. In the meantime, I'll be writing out the story. I'll post when I make significant progress or feel blocked and need advice and such.

At 5/11/59 09:17 PM, Wolverine said:

| No no-neck redneck dumps on my wife and gets away with it!

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-03-30 11:35:34

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get a critique of this shit?

Im sick of feeling like the world
Is about to crumble and fall
Oil prices, war, famine, poor
Its messing up my head
Its making me see red
Enraging and engaging the enlightened set
Mind going overdrive, set the preset
Forget
Fuck it, I'm going into oxygen debt

...Kilroy was here

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-04-14 23:18:05

Here is a little Sci-fi/fantasy twist of a story. Its still in the thinking stage. But the rough idea of it would be Science vs. Magic. Psychics vs. Wizards.

-------------------------

His parents were going to kill him.

Aaron ran down the city streets. Moving around people and dashing through crosswalks. Angry drivers mashing down on their horns if he didn't get through quick enough. But he didn't care about them.

Nothing was much worse then an angry parent at this age.

"Damn city is too noisy..." Aaron said as he turned a corner into an alley. A little short cut he came upon when he was in middle school. Only now he wasn't being chased by five other, much bigger, kids. He drew to a halt and leaned up against a wall to catch his breath. As he drew in a breath he turned his head around the alley. No one in sight. He pulled his book bag off his shoulders and set it on the ground. He tugged on a string of leather around his neck and pulled out his Symbol.

A carving of a Wolf. Too realistic looking to have been carved by amateur hands.

He grabbed hold of the Wolf and closed his eyes. Letting out his breath in small bursts, his heart beat slows, and his mind clears. The sounds of the city soon vanish. Soon he began to repeat the Spell in his mind. A spell that let him tap into the essence of his Symbolic creature. He always thought they were called Spiritual Guides, but his teacher said he could call them their Symbols.

The words soon drowned out as he heard the piercing sound of a Wolf howling in the distance. The spell had finished. Aaron opened his eyes...

They were the eyes of a predator.

He picked up his pack and ran down the alley. His feet fell faster yet they barely made a sound on the pavement. His heart pumped faster to help keep up with his extra speed. His senses were heightened, and he could hear everything going on withing a mile of his surroundings. One thing he hated about pulling upon the Wolf's essence was the heightened smell.

Everything reeked in the alley way. But at least he would get home on time before his parents could think of killing him.

Aaron turned out of the alley and onto a street. Oblivious to the audience he had in the alley way.

--------

The homeless guy stirred from his fake slumber. It was almost as if he were dead to the world. It was simple enough to slow down his heart rate and his breathing to mimic a state of death. He cracked his neck slightly, how long had he been there waiting for the kid? He looked down at the cardboard box that laid over his body.

He smiled as he watched the box slide away from his body and to the other side of the alley. He still wasn't used to that.

Psychics usually didn't hang around in day light for fear of gaining attention. But it was time to make a move against those filthy magic users. They would soon find who was the superior species.

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
--------
Alright! Easy to say this isn't much of a story. I don't want to go too far into it. But if you are interested in the story, or want to give any advice for changes, go for it.

Live is about living

Until you die

Then it sucks to be you.

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-06-06 16:46:20

Hey, I was wondering if there were any scriptwriters out there that fancy helping me with the script and story for Penguinz 2?

I already have the story outline and quite a lot of details already done, but really wanna nail the script and I dont have a lot of experience with writing at all. It seems stupid spending hours animating something if what they are saying sounds rubbish :)

Its gonna be a pretty massive game, with an intro and short cutscenes interspersed between levels. I want the production to be high on every level, and with a great story and script the game could be huge :) The first game currently has 3.5 million plays across the internet, and im confident this one is gonna do considerably better.

So, if theres anyone willing to have a look at my game plan and script, and make sure everything seems professional and done well just send me a PM or catch me on MSN via my site plugin ! You will of course be credited for your help and who knows, Tom mentioned scriptwriters may be involved in the next power of 3(4?), so I will be looking for someone to work with then!

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-06-22 20:57:14

Oh wow, I didn't know that this place existed, check my post to this month's writing competition (up soon, still revising). When I was learning to draw, MindChamber suggested the book "How to draw Hip Hop" which was a good source of technique and inspiration. Any suggestions for books on short story writing?

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-08-11 10:47:49

I'm so happy! I just had a bunch of writing returned to me that I thought I lost 3-4 years ago when my hard drive crashed. Some of its not the best, but a lot of it is still pretty solid. I stayed up all night editing an old screen play that is surprisingly deep and good.

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-09-30 10:04:29

Hi. You know as a writer I normally don't look for other people's critique especially other writers. However I would like some input on this flash movie.

Airfaerie95 did the flash work and she made it based off one of my short stories. I would be more than happy to post the short story here, but I would like to know if the flash based story is good. Then I'll post the short story.

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-10-17 13:21:10

Havn't written much in a few years...
no flash stories
no life stories

but I did this one about a year ago...
----------------------------------------
------------------------

Mortal Kombat: Onaga's Reign

(I do not own Mortal Kombat or any of its characters; they are owned by Midway and the guys that work there)
-

Long ago, long before Mortal Kombat even began Outworld was ruled not by Shao Kahn...but by a creature known as Onaga. Onaga was a powerful dragon like creature. He was so powerful one could consider him a god. In fact none of the elder gods wanted to anger him in anyway because of his immense power. His power could rival those of the gods. He had been known to kill elder gods whom one thought could not be killed so easily. He killed them without much trouble at all. He had an advisor who helped him with his plans and whatnot. This advisor was none other than Shao Kahn. Onaga could have conquered any realm he saw fit but often chose to "wait until the right time". He could have had Edenia for himself but he chose not to waste time with that pathetic realm being as the people there would pose little challenge. They were no threat.
Onaga was feared and respected throughout the realms. Even his own personal servents feared him because he was known to fly into a murderous rage at the littlest things and send the hapless servant halfway across the room...well ....at least half of them anyway. The other half went flying across the other side of the room. Shao Kahn did not approve of his master's approach to dealing with disobedient, foolish subjects. It wasn't because he felt sorry for the subjects....What Shao Kahn wanted was Onaga's power. Oh, to know such glorious power!! It was then he decided to kill Onaga and take this realm for himself. Then he could build an army BIGGER than Onaga's. With Onaga dead he would take his power and be able to conquer whatever realm he chose. The Gods and mortals would soon fear and know his name.
"Kaaahhhhhhhnnn!" Onaga bellowed. His loud voice booming through the fortress. Even the guards themselves cringed and felt a tinge of pity for the advisor. But still....better he than them. Kahn cringed...not because he was frightened but because he had a deep seated hatred for the Dragon King. Kahn groaned and went to see what the stupid reptile was yelling about now.
"Yes mighty Onaga?" Kahn said respectfully keeping a healthy distance from Onaga's massive claws. One blow would more than likely kill him he knew. But he also knew Onaga would not want to risk killing such a valuable ally. "I wish to conquer...but damn those elder gods they are resisting my attempts!" Onaga bellowed. "Why not simply eradicate them as you have done--" was all Kahn got out before a heavy claw swiped at him knocking him from his feet. "Do you take me for a fool Kahn? Don't you think I have tried?" They have made a barricade that even I cannot get passed....something about rules and a tournement they are thinking of." Onaga bellowed. 'This has never stoppd you before from such attempts you stupid stupid reptile!' Kahn thought. He quickly dismissed those thoughts though. He didn't know if Onaga read minds or not but if he did...
"Prepare me a feast for I am hungry!" Onaga roared. Kahn held back his contempt and set to preparing the feast. He dismissed Onaga's personal chefs for he wanted to prepare this meal personally. He had acquired the deadly poison that would kill Onaga instantly. With him dead then Kahn could take over the realm of Outworld and have Onaga's power at his disposal. Kahn set to work making sure everything was perfect. Right down to the wine. Kahn put a sprinkle of the poison in his food and into the drink as well...he had put enough in there to kill 10,000 Onagas...he only hoped Onaga wouldn't invite him to eat with him. It was a chance he had to take. Once the preperations were made he had some servents bring out the food. Onaga being as ravenous as he was and the respect he had from ally and foe alike knew no one would dare poison his food. Or so he thought. As soon as Onaga had finished his first course a searing pain shot through his entire body. He called for his advisor thinking Shao Kahn would come to his aid. Shao Kahn came over leisurely. He had a smile. Why was he smiling? "Now Outworld will be MINE!! Do not worry O "great" Onaga...the realms will be in the hands of a more competent ruler....MINE!" Shao Kahn then sat to watch the final shuddering movements of the once great Dragon King. Onaga's last thoughts were full of hatred and vegence. He would be back....somehow he would be back...he'd have his revenge against his conniving advisor. Although he had to admire his courage. No one had dared to try and kill Onaga...yet Kahn made the attempt and had succeeded. Still Khan would pay dearly.
With the Dragon King dead he yelled for the servants to dispose of the body. But first he made sure Onaga had no means of coming back....not while Shao Kahn was in charge. He had the body sealed in a crypt with no means of entry or exit. Kahn settled down into the large throne finding it rather comfortable. Just as he got settled one of the guards came to him and said he had a visitor asking to see him. "Let him come in." Kahn said somewhat arrogantly. Surely it wasn't a challenger. All the realm knew Kahn had put an end to Onaga. It would be foolish to challenge his position.
"The mighty Kahn defeats Onaga." The young man no older than 16 smiled wickedly. Shao Kahn's eyes narrowed at this brash young man. "I hope your parents won't mind paying for your funeral boy...because that is where you are headed if you don't tell me what this is about." Kahn growled. The boy merely smiled. "It was not an insult O' emperor...nor was it a challenge. For all the realms know you eliminated the mighty Onaga. They fear you now." He responded sincerely. Kahn relaxed and continued to listen to this boy. He may be useful Kahn would wait and see.
"Allow me to offer my allegence to such a powerful ruler. Long have I desired to serve you Shao Kahn and I ask only that you may grant my wish." The boy bowed low. Kahn was amused. "Granted." Kahn agreed. "But be forwarned boy....I do not tolorate failure!!" He added with a snarl. They boy nodded. "A reasonable request. Know that I will not fail you." He added. Kahn glared at the boy both amused and angered by his comment. "Your life will be forfeit if you fail me." He reminded the brash young man. "What is your name boy?" Kahn asked.
"My name? Oh forgive me my emperor.....my name is Tsang Tsung....and I am highly skilled in the black arts." Shao Kahn smiled. "Welcome then Tsang Tsung. You are now my chief advisor.
Tsang Tsung smiled to himself...everything was going exactly as he planned....

The end.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-10-17 18:27:19

I usually write humor and I have great Ideas, just no one picks me up.

What a shame, Mister Jensen.

I never asked for this, Mister Denton.

Response to Writer's Guild 2009-11-13 17:52:42

im a writer in m off time im writing several fan fics