00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Xombie, Lego, etc.

27,095 Views | 196 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 12:57:03

At 10/11/04 04:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: A lot of times I fight this stuff, but in this case fuck it... If Lego doesn't appreciate their fans, then I don't want to promote their toys anyway.

Sounds like it's time for a flash parody. Ummm...are you
allowed to mention the name of the suit who sent you the letter?

"They are an inquisitive race, always anxious to pry into other mens' lives, but never ready to correct their own." -Augustine of Hippo

BBS Signature

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 14:26:54

i think i may have found a loop hole!
but then again i dont know jack about law!?

when i bought my webcam it had some example movies of what you can do with the features on the software. for stop motion animations there was a short movie with a lego man in a lego car driving around.

it could be argued that since the company had promoted the use of lego in stopmotions that anyone with that software is allowed to use their products in their movies.

i hope that made sence. oh and by the way - i have a logitech quickcam pro 4000

i myself am making a claymation and i would imagine that if it was a lego movie that i would be extremely pissed off!

in the end though it is your site and therefore your decision to fight this or not.

i now hate lego, and will never purchase any lego product in the future (neither will my family) and with 16 brothers sisters or cousins under 8 id say there the losers!

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 14:38:45

That's some stupid shit right there. I seem to remember a webpage I saw once that consisted solely of lego men/women having sex.

but whatever.

Oh and tom. it's lair, not layer.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 14:42:55

At 10/11/04 11:05 PM, _Dezmo_ wrote: lol i just sent in my contact form take a look

ok to the bastards who contacted a mr tom fulp for the site newgrounds.com you should all go to hell and die you had free exposure to a site with 500k members you dumbass pricks when kids ask me wtf is lego i'll tell them its a piece of shit dont bother ,plz step away from your shitty corporate lives and go back to your empty penthouse and sit alone for awhile...

Right, they're really going to care about a letter that looks like it was written by an 8-year old whose just found the "Big Book of Swear Words".

At 10/12/04 02:26 PM, the_waxer wrote:
when i bought my webcam it had some example movies of what you can do with the features on the software. for stop motion animations there was a short movie with a lego man in a lego car driving around.

I'd imagine Lego will have licensed the use of that. In any case, Lego isn't going to sue Logitech.

Wish I knew more law to comment more fully, but I'd imagine the image of the Lego man is trademarked, the same way the BBC holds trademarks on the Teletubbies, the same way Nintendo holds trademarks on Mario, Zelda et al... I'd love to know exactly *why* they wanted the things removed, and I would love to see if their case would stand up in court.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 15:04:59

At 10/12/04 02:42 PM, jonthomson wrote:
At 10/11/04 11:05 PM, _Dezmo_ wrote: lol i just sent in my contact form take a look

ok to the bastards who contacted a mr tom fulp for the site newgrounds.com you should all go to hell and die you had free exposure to a site with 500k members you dumbass pricks when kids ask me wtf is lego i'll tell them its a piece of shit dont bother ,plz step away from your shitty corporate lives and go back to your empty penthouse and sit alone for awhile...
Right, they're really going to care about a letter that looks like it was written by an 8-year old whose just found the "Big Book of Swear Words".

Quite right, i think the email i posted above would be the right tone no?
If we can all send Lego something simerlar.

No good complaining to eachover, we have to complaining to the source.

... I'd love to know exactly *why* they wanted the things removed, and I would love to see if their case would stand up in court.

Well, the "why" may be simply the whim of a lawyer.
Any company as big as lego probably has a team of lawyers with the soul perpose of "protecting their interests" or something vague.
If we get involved in email dialogue between us and lego, rather then us and "legos lawyers", we might make progress.

Rateoholic- my "review anything you can think of and it tries to correlate your tastes to other peoples" site. (-sigh- I need a better slogan....)

Or watch our reviewshow

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 16:11:44

I swear I will never buy another god damned lego again! I always liked K'nex better anyways. Well after reading that I decided to take the few legos that I owned and heave them in the trash.!

BBS Signature

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 16:30:56

I just send an angry email to these tell them what they did was stupid and to burn in hell

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 16:31:07

2 things,
1: If all your going to post is sometihng like "fuck lego" or "I'm never buying their stuff again" isn't helping if u wanna post then just post a possible solution to this problem.
2.Maybe we should call in the Newgrounds Army about this I wonder where they've been lately?

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 16:51:27

But...but I love LEGO'S! DAMN THEM FOR MAKING ME HATE THEM!!!

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 16:51:28

Not only do legos suck but lawyers too. They just take your money and laugh. (Sometimes out loud...)

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 16:53:47

At 10/12/04 04:51 PM, Larz1695 wrote: Not only do legos suck but lawyers too. They just take your money and laugh. (Sometimes out loud...)

You suck, Legos rule.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 16:58:55

You already bought the Legos so what good will it do to throw them away, you might as well get them back and not buy and more Legos.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 17:06:18

At 10/12/04 04:58 PM, Father_Time wrote: You already bought the Legos so what good will it do to throw them away, you might as well get them back and not buy and more Legos.

this was suppsoed to have a quote from fasdit in it. oh well

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 17:29:18

theres only onw solution to this problem.... KILL THE PRESEDENT OF LEGO!!! mwhahahah or just use mega bloks, but i'd prefer solution no.1

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 17:48:00

What dumbasses. I guess they want to pay for advertising themselves........

Make sure you put the letter into the legal archives so we can see what shit they were screaming about, there hasn't been a conflict for a while........it should be interesting =).

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 18:04:11

We need a good plan, and I for one am not going to tolerate this nonsense like Tom does. We must FIGHT!!!

Some ideas:
1. Flood their e-mail banks with your letters. No hate mail, and keep it honest and sensible.
2. I believe there is a LEGO opinion club you can join. Speak out there and see what happens.
3. Civil disobedience: make new LEGO films. Show Tom we won't tolerate this crap by making things anew. Convince him by fighting fire with fire.

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 18:27:57

lol this kid is a lego fans i found him on the lego page and just look at him. He looks like he on smack or someting worse, nah I bet that kid is brain washed instead.

Yeah i've being on the Lego website it remind me of MJ's Neverland when i saw it on TV.

Xombie, Lego, etc.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 19:12:20

It is insane that Lego had to go and force Tom and Wade to delete the Lego movies of Newgrounds (which were very creative after all), seeing as the users on Newgrounds that made those films were only prompting tributes, humor, and an example of the creativity that you can create with flash. That, unfortunately, that is how things are today, because of copyright laws and we should accept that.
As for the Xombie series... it is great that it is finally all together on this site, seeing as it is an excellent series that is a MUST watch. But I think there are other series in this site that still need to be added to the series page, but I keep forgeting their names.
[-NightCobra-]

HTML I may use: bold italic underline

BBS Signature

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 20:46:46

I bet there going to go after Capcom net for there servbots!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 21:37:16

At 10/12/04 07:12 PM, NightCobra wrote: It is insane that Lego had to go and force Tom and Wade to delete the Lego movies of Newgrounds (which were very creative after all), seeing as the users on Newgrounds that made those films were only prompting tributes, humor, and an example of the creativity that you can create with flash. That, unfortunately, that is how things are today, because of copyright laws and we should accept that.

Disagree (slightly). Though I don't know the exact reason of the cease and desist letter, this only happens in the USA. In my country there would be no basis for the reclamation: copyright is not infringed, there is no money winning (and if it was, it still would be OK), and the movie's author is the owner of its rights, not LEGO (TM) (C).

But in brands and trademarks, the US laws are very different from the Berna agreement (that regulates international copyright laws) or the copyright laws of many countries. I suppose that they considered that Newgrounds, which has a tank as a symbol, mature content and the "Assassin" series was, yes, free advertisement, but an unwanted one that gave them bad publicity | | they don't want LEGO movies with such a huge potential number of viewers to go by Inet uncontrolled by the mother brand . Just a question, not of copyright issues, but image ones... a lotta firms are doing so.

Hope now that, say, Sony doesn't come to think that Newgrounds is indeed a site for smuggling copyrighted songs... they are capable of making you pay for using music, even if it's free or your own! (They do in my country!)

And yeah, great that Xombie has a series of its own...

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 21:50:08

There's too many stupid toy companies out there. Who cares if they use their toys... other than them? They shouldn't be able to complain unless money is made from it. Apparently companies would prefer to pay for advertyising than to recieve free advertising. Fuckers.

By the way, you need to update the Pokemon parodies. I want Unseen Episode up there.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-12 22:15:52

What about that one music video that used all legos, are they going to sue them next?
I think that video was called 'Fell in Love with a Girl' from the White Stripes. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
This is just corporationalism going to far.

And I'll have to check on Xombie when I get a chance, right now I'm taking a break from memorizing my speech for a presentation tomorrow.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-13 00:02:33

At 10/11/04 04:20 PM, olly_lewis wrote: Lego meh, lego if for 5 year olds not guys in there teens and early 20's

....a lot of people at newgrounds ar 5 year olds...but who really wants to get into a fight w/ a multi-million/billion dollar company over viewing rights and legal bullshit.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-13 00:49:50

I'm trying to comprehend how Lego thinks this is a violation of thier copywrites. When you purchase a Lego set, are you not free to do what you want with it, including making a fucking flash video if you so choose? I'm no fucking lawyer, but even were I, I don't think I'd understand the thoughts running through the minds of Lego and it's cronies right now. This is just rediculous....

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-13 01:05:06

Excuse the overuse of the f-bomb there, but I just don't get this trend of attacking Newgrounds over totally inane issues, such as this. Again, I can't even begin to understand Lego's motivation here, nor how they would justify thier case were it to go to court.

And it's not just NG that gets attacked like this either. Companies are going sue-happy these days, and it's all just mind-numbingly idiotic....

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-13 01:08:18

At 10/13/04 12:49 AM, Cyberxion wrote: I'm trying to comprehend how Lego thinks this is a violation of thier copywrites. When you purchase a Lego set, are you not free to do what you want with it, including making a fucking flash video if you so choose? I'm no fucking lawyer, but even were I, I don't think I'd understand the thoughts running through the minds of Lego and it's cronies right now. This is just rediculous....

Let's not put words into anyone's mouth. Nobody ever said LEGO did this over copywrite violation.

Very clearly, LEGO is a family-owned company that has a solid set of values appropriate for their key market, children. The content on this site doesn't fit with those values. It seems like a no-brainer that LEGO wouldn't want to be associated with that.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-13 01:26:38

At 10/13/04 01:08 AM, Bippage wrote: Very clearly, LEGO is a family-owned company that has a solid set of values appropriate for their key market, children. The content on this site doesn't fit with those values. It seems like a no-brainer that LEGO wouldn't want to be associated with that.

Did LEGO send you? I doubt you even know that much about the content of this site. While some of it is violent and bloody, not all of it is. And i think that the people who made the animations ARE part of your key market. They're not the youngest, but i would expect that many of those that made animations with lego's were still buying them.
Either way, i dont think you have any right to tell people they cant make amatuer animations with lego's to show on the internet. And i think associating the lego company with uptight lawyers who have nothing better to do than hassle lego's fans is worse for the companies image than any violent animation. An animation of lego's having sex would be better than that. At least that sounds like a fun thing to do with the product.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-13 02:16:36

that's really lame ass of lego... i would think that a company which made its name in selling toys for children would have a sense of humour and be more chill about things... apparently not. thanks, capitalism.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-13 04:35:22

Your corporate lawyers are preventing people from using their constitutional rights which guarantee freedom of speech. I am referring to the situation at www.newgrounds.com where LEGO corporate lawyers have contacted the site owner asking him to disallow LEGO flash movies of any sort.

I have been a lego-building fanatic for over fifteen years now as far back as I can remember, and the current situation of trying to forcefully shut people's mouths and imaginations at newgrounds.com has forced me to cease from purchasing any more LEGO products. I shal urge my friends, family, and aquaintances to cease purchasing any LEGO products or contributing any sort of profit to the LEGO corporation as well because of your hate for free publicity at newgrounds.com.

I regret to inform you that the flash authors at www.newgrounds.com did not know your corporate staff despised free publicity (seeing as most companies would actually appreciate any sort of publicity at all). Regardless of what the movies contain in regards to LEGO and lego products, the authors of the movie(s) have the right to express whatever they want (newgrounds has its own rules, regulations, administrators and rating systems which keep such things in check). The creators of the movie(s) bought the product, they can use it as they please. Furthermore, if you have any problems with a specific LEGO movie, contact the movie author, rather than the site owner or the site staff, which is not held responsible for the things people create, only for keeping them on check. Thank you for reading this, I look foward to a more-human and rational response from a LEGO representative in regards to the situation at www.newgrounds.com.

Response to Xombie, Lego, etc. 2004-10-13 04:39:20

how come you dont make a series thing for the XINsesions those are great