tom you should use jose's art it kicks ass the others are awsome to

Winthawk
Winthawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 00:09:39 Reply

I liked Jose's first concept drawings, maybe you should hang onto them and make the 3rd game "Pico in 2010" but with a better name. Just assume Nene failed her suicide attempt miserably and Darnell just shrugs when reminded he was supposed to only have five years to live. Eh? Ehhhhh?

OldQuaker
OldQuaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 00:20:15 Reply

All the styles were great, but I have to agree. Jose's style is best suited for Pico. While the anime style was nice, Pico looks like a Lemming. I can just picture him saying "Oh no!" in a high, squeaky voice and then blowing up in a puff of sparkles.

canalzombie
canalzombie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 00:45:45 Reply

pico is real nice tom....i am working on a short film featuring my visage.

Pico Concept Art!

PWFilms
PWFilms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 01:45:34 Reply

I have to say, all of em look great. My favorite would have to be Zeebarfs though. It just looks more innocent and funnier. But, I know that probobly wont go through because pretty much everyone wants Jose's. Those are great to, but my only problem with them is the hair. I think with Jose's, the har should be changed a tad bit. Its a little like its pulling at his scalp or something. His face looks elongated. I dunno. All of em are good, im just saying my peice.

Dhris2001
Dhris2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 01:47:11 Reply

At 11/25/01 07:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: Since Pico went through several redesigns before a final version was decided on for Pico 2, I thought it would be cool to show everyone the different Pico concepts that were under consideration! This will be the official thread for people to discuss Pico's new look.

CHECK OUT THE PICO CONCEPT ART!
PWFilms
PWFilms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 01:52:58 Reply

Oh, one more thing to say... Zeebarfs style rocks. Seriously use it... Just to please me. Who cares about everyone else. MUAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:03:42 Reply

At 11/26/01 08:57 PM, THECLAW242 wrote: as i recall earlier in the year you mentioned something about updating pico. so sometime before you updated pico, i got bored and drew this little rendition of pico. tell me, is it decent? i know it doesnt compare to oritz's version but would it at least make a good pico?

That could be Pico during his "coked-up" years. :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
thespook
thespook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:06:45 Reply

When I think of an anime pico, my mind immediately went to Outlaw Star's Jim Hawking. Not that Cardcaptor you made (shudder).
Seriously. Id think an anime Pico, done right, would rock. You could go one of two ways.
For a young boy, make him as tough as possible. Like Mononoke's Ashitaka, or Gundam's Heero. Make the eyes a bit smaller, the irises/pupils a lot smaller. Young but grizzled.
Or, you could just go off the deep end and make him as kawaii as possible, until like Compdude said, he wouldnt have the guts to wield a shotgun. Then, make him wield a shotgun! For that Baby Bonnie Hood Charm.

As for that last thread's discussion, That sucks dog balls about how you cant host no more. I dont blame ya. You're having trouble hosting hourself it seems. At least do you know of any NG Network worhty low cost servers?

Joseph 'Spooky' Barrington

Pico Concept Art!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:18:35 Reply

At 11/26/01 11:14 PM, alienature wrote: High School - many classes of people and things to explore: The druggies, the nerds, the jocks, the preps, the cheerleaders, the geeks, hidden avenues and passage-ways behind lockers, janitors and school staff to avoid, the Trench Coat Mafia behind the corner as a main boss, the chem-class spills chemicals on the school food and out grows boss number 2, so many ideas for a high school setting. A college setting would take one beyond that!

Pico 2 actually picks up with the ending from Pico 1. In fact, it is only supposed to be a few days after Pico saves the school - so I have to remove the "6 Months Later" from the ending of Pico 1. The game starts in the school, but soon expands into the entire city (complete with subway system). There are several storylines that develop throughout, each with their own baddies - it is all tied together, though. I won't give away any more than that. :)

-Tom

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:27:46 Reply

At 11/26/01 11:39 PM, ZeekSlider wrote: Just one thing, please... NUKE THE ANIME PICO! That was just a bit too creepy for me to handle. Reminded me of DigiMon.

Jose and I are both huge fans of the Digimon season 2 character design... It was actually under consideration for Pico!

-Tom

Pico Concept Art!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:32:15 Reply

At 11/27/01 12:09 AM, Winthawk wrote: I liked Jose's first concept drawings, maybe you should hang onto them and make the 3rd game "Pico in 2010" but with a better name. Just assume Nene failed her suicide attempt miserably and Darnell just shrugs when reminded he was supposed to only have five years to live. Eh? Ehhhhh?

Yeah... Nene drives me nuts, because I don't want her to just be another Kenny (the character who dies and always comes back) - but that's basically what she is. Well maybe she never quite dies - she is always saved somehow. There ya go. I actually had some funny ideas along those lines... But I'll save them.

I might do a third Pico game with the current "animation set"... It would cut down production time and we could focus on making the story even more epic (I want to take Pico around the globe in Pico3). Pico 4 could possibly see the older Pico, though. I'm getting ahead of myself. :)

-Tom

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:35:11 Reply

At 11/27/01 02:06 AM, thespook wrote: When I think of an anime pico, my mind immediately
Or, you could just go off the deep end and make him as kawaii as possible, until like Compdude said, he wouldnt have the guts to wield a shotgun. Then, make him wield a shotgun! For that Baby Bonnie Hood Charm.

As for that last thread's discussion, That sucks dog balls about how you cant host no more. I dont blame ya. You're having trouble hosting hourself it seems. At least do you know of any NG Network worhty low cost servers?

Joseph 'Spooky' Barrington

That hair could work pretty well for anime Pico... Maybe Pico could just jump from style to style, who knows. I'm happy with the current one, though... Feels more "fresh". :)

As for hosting... I always recommend phenominet.com - they seem to get the job done for a good price.

-Tom

BBS Signature
Rogan-YLS
Rogan-YLS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:49:30 Reply

At 11/26/01 10:11 PM, FEAR wrote: No way dude, Pico cant have a f*cking mullet.

uhhh thats not a mullet, thats just hair sticken out from the back of his head. why on earth would i give pico a mullet?!?!

Rogan-YLS
Rogan-YLS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:54:31 Reply

At 11/27/01 02:03 AM, TomFulp wrote: That could be Pico during his "coked-up" years. :)

-Tom

i dunno if i should take this as an insult or a compliment or both... oh well.

Rumor
Rumor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 02:54:55 Reply

I liked Jose's works. Pico looked great in the Hobbes style rendition in my opinion.
Jose's older looking picos also had a certain appeal.

Rumor
Rumor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 03:17:14 Reply

Oh yeah one more thing. I like it better when you keep the Pico games interactive. Darnell's pyro was pretty cool, and I liked the whole "god" philosophy, but hmmm, it would have been fun to control him.
So in future games, make the games as interactive as possible, thats whats so cool about them! =)

Pico Concept Art!

NGDSLGuy
NGDSLGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 03:34:06 Reply

Jose is the master of flash. Those Dreamcast pictures of Pico look good. Pico has also grown up a little since his first adventure, so he should look a little older.

Frigid-Abyss
Frigid-Abyss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 04:01:55 Reply

I like the last two drawn by Zeebarf. They rock! I think you should pick those ones.

GotenksSS3
GotenksSS3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 04:14:17 Reply

At 11/27/01 02:18 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/26/01 11:14 PM, alienature wrote: High School - many classes of people and things to explore: The druggies, the nerds, the jocks, the preps, the cheerleaders, the geeks, hidden avenues and passage-ways behind lockers, janitors and school staff to avoid, the Trench Coat Mafia behind the corner as a main boss, the chem-class spills chemicals on the school food and out grows boss number 2, so many ideas for a high school setting. A college setting would take one beyond that!
Pico 2 actually picks up with the ending from Pico 1. In fact, it is only supposed to be a few days after Pico saves the school - so I have to remove the "6 Months Later" from the ending of Pico 1. The game starts in the school, but soon expands into the entire city (complete with subway system). There are several storylines that develop throughout, each with their own baddies - it is all tied together, though. I won't give away any more than that. :)

-Tom

I think alienatures Idea rules! That would be great to use jose Ortizs 1st pic though for his teens only that pic of him flippin the birdy and holding his crotch just kind of looks gay. That would be tight also if you could spray paint like in Jet Grind Radio.
keep up the good work :)

Pico Concept Art!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 04:41:28 Reply

At 11/27/01 03:17 AM, Rumor wrote: Oh yeah one more thing. I like it better when you keep the Pico games interactive. Darnell's pyro was pretty cool, and I liked the whole "god" philosophy, but hmmm, it would have been fun to control him.
So in future games, make the games as interactive as possible, thats whats so cool about them! =)

Don't worry - I'm all about making the games more and more like the real arcade experience! You're gonna love what's on the way! :)

-Tom

Pico Concept Art!

BBS Signature
Sebulba
Sebulba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 05:31:23 Reply

JOSE ORTIZ' FINAL SHORTER/YOUNGER PICO IS FUCKING AWESOME. HE LOOKS RAD, SOMEONE WROTE IN THIS FORUM SAYING JOSE IS OVER RATED, BULLSHIT, THE ARTWORK IS 1ST RATE KICK ASS!

DEFINATELY USE THE YOUNGER ORTIZ PICO, AND IF PICO 3 EVER COMES AROUND IN THE FUTURE, YOU COULD USE THE OLDER ORTIZ PICO, AS HE IS GROWING UP, THAT'D BE COOL.

joberbichler
joberbichler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 05:43:21 Reply

Ya know Tom, you could use the 2nd to last PICO concept art for some kickass fighting game where you could be like PICO, DARNELL, NENE, one of the ghetto bots, one of the uber kids etc.
BUT ITS PROBABLY NOT GONNA HAPPEN (but i can dream, can't i).

Also the CLAVIN n HOBBES style KICKS ASS!!!!!!!

digdug69
digdug69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 06:08:22 Reply

TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 06:27:48 Reply

At 11/27/01 02:32 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/27/01 12:09 AM, Winthawk wrote: I liked Jose's first concept drawings, maybe you should hang onto them and make the 3rd game "Pico in 2010" but with a better name. Just assume Nene failed her suicide attempt miserably and Darnell just shrugs when reminded he was supposed to only have five years to live. Eh? Ehhhhh?
Yeah... Nene drives me nuts, because I don't want her to just be another Kenny (the character who dies and always comes back) - but that's basically what she is. Well maybe she never quite dies - she is always saved somehow. There ya go. I actually had some funny ideas along those lines... But I'll save them.

I might do a third Pico game with the current "animation set"... It would cut down production time and we could focus on making the story even more epic (I want to take Pico around the globe in Pico3). Pico 4 could possibly see the older Pico, though. I'm getting ahead of myself. :)

-Tom

Tom dude, that would be hilarious if Nene was like Kenny and kept dying over and over. Do it!

Pico Concept Art!

Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 06:52:20 Reply

At 11/27/01 05:43 AM, someguy299 wrote: Ya know Tom, you could use the 2nd to last PICO concept art for some kickass fighting game where you could be like PICO, DARNELL, NENE, one of the ghetto bots, one of the uber kids etc.
BUT ITS PROBABLY NOT GONNA HAPPEN (but i can dream, can't i).

Also the CLAVIN n HOBBES style KICKS ASS!!!!!!!

I agree with someguy. A Pico fighting game with the JGR style would kick some major ass. Tom dude, please consider when your done with Pico 2.

Pico Concept Art!

DavidGX
DavidGX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 07:11:20 Reply

At 11/25/01 07:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: Since Pico went through several redesigns before a final version was decided on for Pico 2, I thought it would be cool to show everyone the different Pico concepts that were under consideration! This will be the official thread for people to discuss Pico's new look.

I think the last ones look good.

Falconrath
Falconrath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 09:18:10 Reply

Dammit, finally I post, the 53 when the server errors blocked me from posting...

Falconrath
Falconrath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 09:24:09 Reply

The new Pico looked a little more cute and small. keep the old one! Pico has probably been changed from the age he was before to 18.

Falconrath
Falconrath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Pico Concept Art! 2001-11-27 09:31:27 Reply

How `bout I make a "Pico(BD style) flash movie and see if ya like it tom, huh.