00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MovementalStudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Stern switching to Satellite

8,109 Views | 62 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 08:57:43

I was at Wade's house yesterday, where he had just purchased an XM radio receiver and signed up for the premium service to listen to Opie & Anthony - two shock jocks who had been kicked off traditional radio. We were wondering just how many subscribers were joining XM to hear Opie & Anthony. XM has always been the favored satellite provider, so deals like this seemed to put the nails in the coffins of their competitors.

But just now, Howard Stern has announced he's signed a five year deal with Sirius, XM's direct competitor. It will be interesting to see how this changes things. I'm also really tempted to buy some Sirius stock... Right now it's at $3.35 per share, but has gained 22% today. At a low price like that, it seems you could make a killing! I would imagine it will at least double by the end of today.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 09:00:18

Hmm. That works well, but I enjoy teh ghetto style radio. I have one in teh shower room, and it hardly picks up reception. But I've fostered it since it was a child.

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 09:02:24

*sigh*

One more sign of apocalypse

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 09:04:57

well let me think for a moment.....................................................................
.................................................. 3 hours late...

no thank you :)

http://www.interstellarmarines.com/

the best AAA Indie game in the making, help the game by spreading the word! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 09:09:56

go for it, id say

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 09:11:01

Never heard of Opie & Anthony before, but I have heard of Howard Stern. And that stock thing sounds tempting.

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 09:14:28

If I'm gonna listen to the radio it's gonna be the WRIF.

/b/

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 09:32:55

I wish I had money for stocks and shares!

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 09:33:58

thanks tom ^__^
my dad appreciates info like that a lot.

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 10:16:24

At 10/6/04 09:33 AM, BareNakedSneepioo wrote: thanks tom ^__^
my dad appreciates info like that a lot.

Hentai/anime is gay

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 10:43:09

Overheard at STOCK MARKET

"What do you mean? I've invested in jars of fat? What shall I do- open a baby food factory?"
"Hey Hank! Have you got 20p? I need to invest in urine extraction."
"No! No- shut up. Just take all the money, and sell. Sell it all. Sell sell sell. Bye." and then a few moments later... "SHIT!"

As for Stern- I think he's funny. A bit of a bastard, but all funny people are.

アートは物質の生命であり、あなたが何を作成しようとも、それはアートです。

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 10:47:01

If you don't know who Opie and Anthony are, they did the sound clip I used for this Flash:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/42415

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 10:48:42

Stern = unfunny dick and fart innuendo and inept misdirected anger at smalltime political hacks.

:(

On the upside, I found a 656kg pumpkin.

-Janus

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 10:54:12

OMG!

I M BAD TRIPPING!

amazed

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 11:19:20

That sucks about Howard going to saellite, I mean it's good that way he'll have no restristions, but also now in order for my sister and I to listen to him we must buy the equipment. Oh well for the greater good.

Howard > ALL

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 11:23:33

At 10/6/04 10:16 AM, F-13 wrote:
Hentai/anime is gay

WhAT TEh FuCk?!! Wtf mate??!! Anime > You ;)

XM radio receiver? What's that? Sounds like some oldie thing.

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 11:31:28

I wanna get Sirius I like the little doggy!

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 11:34:15

Tpom you should buy some stock sounds like a great idea you should do it

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 13:02:52

Which market is it being sold at? NYSE?

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 13:27:14

If you are going to buy stock, make sure you know about the company. My friends dad got duked when he bought a share in a Laundry company. But, for 3 bucks, why not?

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 14:03:09

I think I may deversify some of my money towards Serious.
On the upside, Howard Stern has millions of every day listeners, including my self. His show will be then un-censored, which is a big plus for a lot of people. Personally, I never really minded the whole button pushing on his show, but I would not mind listening to the proper way of a girls first lesbian experience. His show will sindicate all over the country, giving a chance to those that can't listen to him, or those where his show has been taken off the airwaves (F you clear channel!) While I had never really been interested in Satellite Radio, now that Howard is moving, I for one will get me the service. We'll see how things go.
On the down side, there are plenty of listeners out there that can't afford to get the service no matter how much they love Howard. Some people will be completely turned off to the fact that they have to pay to listen to something that they once had for free. I don't know how many more calls they will get from Politacal activists trying to bring him down, some of those are the funniests calls. Another thing is, liek Howard was saying earlier in that announcement, he hope that the whole group joins him in moving to Satellite radio, but will every one follow him.

I expect many things to happen to his show once he moves to Serious Radio, some good, some bad, but over all, I do believe that it will all be good.

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 14:32:34

Good, maybe Stern will get off my local radio station and I can hear music in the morning >:(

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 14:36:51

At 10/6/04 02:32 PM, Afro_Ninja wrote: Good, maybe Stern will get off my local radio station and I can hear music in the morning >:(

amen to that, talk shows suck in the morning. i need like some rap or somethin to get me goin, not monotone talk shows thats what AM radio is for

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 14:42:45

XM radio receiver? What's that? Sounds like some oldie thing.

Do you seriously not know what XM radio is?

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 15:05:53

At 10/6/04 08:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: At a low price like that, it seems you could make a killing! I would imagine it will at least double by the end of today.

i know something else you're going to be making a killing off of

*ahem*

i like video games.

BBS Signature

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 15:13:06

At 10/6/04 10:48 AM, Janus wrote: Stern = unfunny dick and fart innuendo and inept misdirected anger at smalltime political hacks.

Stern = popular = PROFIT

Dead.

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 15:21:38

I know I'm not really one to be giving financial advice, but I would strongly suggest buying the stock in Sirius. Not only in the financial sector is it doing well, but it's one of those rare companies that's relying on its customer support and not market fluctuations to do well. More and more people are relying on Sirius because of commuting, sports, and other forms of entertainment that are available on a commercial-free service, and it's stock is skyrocketing. Now keep in mind it will most likely plateau once the market is saturated, but if you time it right and sell it right before the plateau, you'll make quite a bit of cash.

Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum...

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 15:26:03

At 10/6/04 08:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: I was at Wade's house yesterday, where he had just purchased an XM radio receiver and signed up for the premium service to listen to Opie & Anthony - two shock jocks who had been kicked off traditional radio. We were wondering just how many subscribers were joining XM to hear Opie & Anthony. XM has always been the favored satellite provider, so deals like this seemed to put the nails in the coffins of their competitors.

But just now, Howard Stern has announced he's signed a five year deal with Sirius, XM's direct competitor. It will be interesting to see how this changes things. I'm also really tempted to buy some Sirius stock... Right now it's at $3.35 per share, but has gained 22% today. At a low price like that, it seems you could make a killing! I would imagine it will at least double by the end of today.

my dad got XM. he likes it alot. maybe I'll swing the extra dough for opie and anthony for him, how long is their show now?

I think it used to be from like 2-6 PM in NY, what's it now?

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 15:36:33

Mitch Hedberg said it best when it comes to satellite radio:

Hey man, I did a radio interview for XM Radio, nobody heard it. Come on, who has XM Radio?
(few people in audience clap)
Hey, I'll be damned, it's growing in popularity. They said "you can swear on XM Radio." No shit, cause nobody can hear it. You can swear in the woods too.

Response to Stern switching to Satellite 2004-10-06 15:37:41

At 10/6/04 10:47 AM, WadeFulp wrote: If you don't know who Opie and Anthony are, they did the sound clip I used for this Flash:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/42415

Ha, that was great. It reminds me of a couple of radio stations that I listen too in the morning with their different skits.