TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 04:30 PM Reply

The new Harry Potter movie broke the record for most tickets sold in a single day, so in honor of this great achievement I will remind everyone to play Harry Potthead, right here on NG! It's a classic that creeps me out when I play it late at night!

Also be sure to pick up this great new t-shirt - Harry is a Potthead and the Sorcerer's Stoned. It's a big hit at tshirthell.com!

While you're shopping for shirts, don't forget the infamous Newgrounds Tank Logo Shirts!

Anyway, work on Pico 2 is progressing and I will soon be posting expanded coverage from the Features page. I want the Features section to not only have links to the stuff I've made, but also provide a lot more fun background information behind the making of the games. I plan to put something together about the making of Disorderly, as well!

I ran into a really annoying stumbling block with Pico 2 this morning, dealing with Flash's swapdepth function. It turns out that when you move back in the main timeline (for example, Pico walks back to a previous screen), it creates a new instance of Pico. This doesn't happen when you move forward - only when you go back. As a result, I have to remove the Pico movie clip and make a fresh one for each screen. I also had to change a lot of his local variables to global, since they couldn't be carried along from screen to screen in the new format. Does this make sense to anyone out there? It sucks. I am just surprised I never encountered this problem before, with all the depth-swapping I have done.

Hey, this week is Thanksgiving, and we don't have a Thanksgiving collection! Submit your movies quick, we are gonna put one together asap!!!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
VampyreSolare
VampyreSolare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 04:55 PM Reply

Actually, I'd like to see that section on Disorerly.
I mean... Im sure everyone who has played it wants
to know what inspired that concept...

FF7NG
FF7NG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 05:06 PM Reply

Ahh I remember when Pico first came out...
I suggest you get new servers before releasing that game

iFed
iFed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 07:44 PM Reply

Tom Fulp likes Funyuns

thespook
thespook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 08:10 PM Reply

Just make the series of screens a separate object that can be controlled instead of the main movie clip. Then you wont have to dick around with global variables and new instances and whatnot.

And why havent you responded to my mail? is the NG fannet 'full?'

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 09:02 PM Reply

At 11/19/01 08:10 PM, thespook wrote: Just make the series of screens a separate object that can be controlled instead of the main movie clip. Then you wont have to dick around with global variables and new instances and whatnot.

If you sent email to "tom@newgrounds.com", I haven't been able to get it for a few weeks now. Do you mean the Fan-Net, or the Network? The Network is technically open, but I can't offer hosting and ads anymore, and I've been bad about getting new people set up.

As for Pico2... I considered putting the backgrounds into their own movie clip, but each setting has characters that you interact with, so they would also be in the movie clip. As soon as you start putting characters in movie clips, you have to do more stuff to get their true x and y values, and it all just starts to become a headache.

It could work that way, but I think the new way might be more flexible anyway... I hope. :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Septimus
Septimus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 10:09 PM Reply

At 11/19/01 09:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you sent email to "tom@newgrounds.com", I haven't been able to get it for a few weeks now. Do you mean the Fan-Net, or the Network? The Network is technically open, but I can't offer hosting and ads anymore, and I've been bad about getting new people set up.

As for Pico2... I considered putting the backgrounds into their own movie clip, but each setting has characters that you interact with, so they would also be in the movie clip. As soon as you start putting characters in movie clips, you have to do more stuff to get their true x and y values, and it all just starts to become a headache.

It could work that way, but I think the new way might be more flexible anyway... I hope. :)

-Tom

I had a similar problem with Malapa 2, I had the backgrounds and special effects on a separate clip from the main timeline, how could I control them and synch them with the characters on the main timeline? The answer was very simple; I set all of the movie clips so that their 0,0 point matched up with the 0,0 on the main timeline- that way I could cheat with the same variables. It has worked magically for me so far.

Hope that helps,
Septy.

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 11:16 PM Reply

harry potter sucks ass and by the way when are you getting the new server? email me at szarebski@yahoo.com

smaug16
smaug16
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 19th, 2001 @ 11:29 PM Reply

I've ran in to similar problems when I've done Java scripting, you'll do one thing a billion times, then the time you really want to do it, you have to switch some variables around. It sucks, but so is programming.

Falconrath
Falconrath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 20th, 2001 @ 03:11 AM Reply

Also be sure to pick up this great new t-shirt - Harry is a Potthead and the Sorcerer's Stoned. It's a big hit at tshirthell.com!

While you're shopping for shirts, don't forget the infamous Newgrounds Tank Logo Shirts!

Anyway, work on Pico 2 is progressing and I will soon be posting expanded coverage from the Features page. I want the Features section to not only have links to the stuff I've made, but also provide a lot more fun background information behind the making of the games. I plan to put something together about the making of Disorderly, as well!

I ran into a really annoying stumbling block with Pico 2 this morning, dealing with Flash's swapdepth function. It turns out that when you move back in the main timeline (for example, Pico walks back to a previous screen), it creates a new instance of Pico. This doesn't happen when you move forward - only when you go back. As a result, I have to remove the Pico movie clip and make a fresh one for each screen. I also had to change a lot of his local variables to global, since they couldn't be carried along from screen to screen in the new format. Does this make sense to anyone out there? It sucks. I am just surprised I never encountered this problem before, with all the depth-swapping I have done.

I am collecting peoples opinions for sound in the BBS, so far, one person said, 19/2000 by Gorillaz, but I thought I could transfer the start tune of "Let me blow ya mind" by eve. It was a cool song!

-Brandon_Dutton-

Captain-Insano
Captain-Insano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 20th, 2001 @ 08:55 AM Reply

At 11/19/01 04:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also be sure to pick up this great new t-shirt - Harry is a Potthead and the Sorcerer's Stoned. It's a big hit at tshirthell.com!

that site's cool as hell! I'm gonna have to pick up a shirt or two.

Harry Potter, etc.

SupaReaper
SupaReaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 20th, 2001 @ 03:55 PM Reply

At 11/19/01 04:30 PM, TomFulp wrote:
The new Harry Potter movie broke the record for most tickets sold in a single day, so in honor of this great achievement I will remind everyone to play Harry Potthead, right here on NG! It's a classic that creeps me out when I play it late at night!

Hey, this week is Thanksgiving, and we don't have a Thanksgiving collection! Submit your movies quick, we are gonna put one together asap!!!

They have been advertising that movie before I got my job at the theater LAST NOVEMBER!!! I think someone should make a new game to creativly, yet painfully kill Harry Potter. I know most of us can't wait for Pico 2 either; THAT'S IT! Make Pico kill Harry Potter. I'd love to see that.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. (I'm sure glad my mom can cook well) I think it is sad that the Lions haven't won a game this year. That was a good game in ARZ last SUN. I've been watching, and they are actually playing well. I hope they win on Thurs, I'd love to see them beat Green Bay. After all, they are the Lions, and you never know.

GiR
GiR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 20th, 2001 @ 09:56 PM Reply

At 11/19/01 04:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: The new Harry Potter movie broke the record for most tickets sold in a single day, so in honor of this great achievement I will remind everyone to play Harry Potthead, right here on NG! It's a classic that creeps me out when I play it late at night!

Ummmmm... actually, I like Harry Potter. I do admit that they over did it with the advertising, but still, the stories are really great, and the movie was pretty neat also. Best part of the movie: John Williams music. Twas wonderful. (i'm a film score geek). *Sees everyone staring at her* UMmmmm.. *runs away*

VampyreSolare
VampyreSolare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 21st, 2001 @ 12:43 AM Reply

At 11/20/01 09:56 PM, GiR wrote:

John Williams music. Twas wonderful. *Sees everyone staring at her* UMmmmm.. *runs away*

Classical music scores are cool. I've actually wanted to see the Harry Potter film... I heard the effects were something else and that the film stood to the book... I have been wanting to see if that were so. That would be contradictory of the book to movie scenario... will it prove to be like every other book to movie insult?

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 21st, 2001 @ 01:30 AM Reply

I don't think Harry Potter would be that bad, never read one of his books, but it ain't gay like some bashers think it is.

SupaReaper
SupaReaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 21st, 2001 @ 01:42 AM Reply

At 11/20/01 09:56 PM, GiR wrote: Ummmmm... actually, I like Harry Potter. I do admit that they over did it with the advertising, but still, the stories are really great, and the movie was pretty neat also. Best part of the movie: John Williams music. Twas wonderful. (i'm a film score geek). *Sees everyone staring at her* UMmmmm.. *runs away*

I like classical music, but when you hear the trailer once ever 15 mins, it begins to drive you MAD. I'll admit that wasn't the worst one though. The worst was "See Spot Run" only because of the way they did the music in the trailer. The timing was off so every time it'd play, I'd hear "See" (music) "Spot" (music, I'd say "DIE!" on cue, then I'd hear "Run". All my co-workers thought it was funny. The best promotion we had was "Tomb Raider" though. They brought in a model for each of two shifts for a day, and they were pretty close to how Angelina Jolie looked. The morning shift one had on the shorts and was as tall as I am, 6'5". I begged to be put in isolation, over by her that day, It was one of very few days I wouldn't be board just standing watching candy.

Harry Potter, etc.

erich
erich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 21st, 2001 @ 03:43 AM Reply

why havent you addressed the issue of the toons rankings being fuked up? when will this be fixed and why is it happening?

thespook
thespook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 21st, 2001 @ 06:18 PM Reply

Just put backgrounds in the background movie clip. And make each background frame tell target the characters in it (in the main movie actually, but appearing in that b.g.) to become visible and all others invisible.

Thats what i meant, the Network. That blows about hosting. At least can you recommend a low cost server?

Spooky

At 11/19/01 09:02 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/19/01 08:10 PM, thespook wrote: Just make the series of screens a separate object that can be controlled instead of the main movie clip. Then you wont have to dick around with global variables and new instances and whatnot.

If you sent email to "tom@newgrounds.com", I haven't been able to get it for a few weeks now. Do you mean the Fan-Net, or the Network? The Network is technically open, but I can't offer hosting and ads anymore, and I've been bad about getting new people set up.

-Tom
CaJuN-WaRRioR
CaJuN-WaRRioR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 23rd, 2001 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 11/21/01 06:18 PM, thespook wrote: Just put backgrounds in the background movie clip. And make each background frame tell target the characters in it (in the main movie actually, but appearing in that b.g.) to become visible and all others invisible.

Thats what i meant, the Network. That blows about hosting. At least can you recommend a low cost server?
I agree
Spooky

-Tom

Harry Potter, etc.

scottmac321
scottmac321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 24th, 2001 @ 10:26 PM Reply

pico 2, harry pothead, and thanksgiving too, you go mr. fulp

what, what do you want, i nned more post ok, fuck off

Harry Potter, etc.

NGGuy
NGGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 25th, 2001 @ 08:31 AM Reply

At 11/19/01 04:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: The new Harry Potter movie broke the record for most tickets sold in a single day, so in honor of this great achievement I will remind everyone to play Harry Potthead, right here on NG! It's a classic that creeps me out when I play it late at night!

Tom you need top make some black shirts too

DavidGX
DavidGX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 27th, 2001 @ 07:57 AM Reply

Happy turkeyday newgrounds!

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 29th, 2001 @ 07:06 AM Reply

If I ever ever made the crazy decision of trying to order a shirt off the net, it would be the Binladenfuken shirt. Ya don't fuck with the US!

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 29th, 2001 @ 07:07 AM Reply

The Harry potthead one is black, but you are talking about the Binladenfuken and the Florida Anthrax one, right?

DUDE4U
DUDE4U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Nov. 30th, 2001 @ 04:16 AM Reply

At 11/29/01 07:07 AM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote:
The Harry potthead one is black, but you are talking about the Binladenfuken and the Florida Anthrax one, right?

Harry potthead and the soceror's stoned. that was funny....lol..... hahahahahhahahahahahhaha

DUDE4U
DUDE4U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Jan. 6th, 2002 @ 02:54 PM Reply

At 11/29/01 07:06 AM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote: If I ever ever made the crazy decision of trying to order a shirt off the net, it would be the Binladenfuken shirt. Ya don't fuck with the US!

to tell ya the truth. he did fuck with us and now we can't find his cowardly ass.

DUDE4U
DUDE4U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Harry Potter, etc. Jan. 6th, 2002 @ 02:56 PM Reply

-Tom

oh ok because i sent you some mail and you never reply'd....i figured you were too busy. but if ya do read them don't worry just forget about them. you probably have already....... so nevermind