TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:43 PM Reply

So I've been working on bringing old pages up-to-date with the new layout. Tonight I fiddled around with Assassin - initially dropping the old page into the new header and footer. I wasn't satisfied, though.

Assassin was the backbone of Newgrounds. Although Club a Seal was the first big hit, Assassin is what built our initial audience. Fans came by regularly to see which celebrity was on the chopping block. I worked feverishly and frantically to build new Assassin missions so that no one would be disappointed. The originals were in HTML, following by javascript, then eventually Flash.

I made Flash games where players could kill Britney Spears, Madonna, the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Marylin Manson, the Taco Bell Dog, Mahir the Turkish Stud, Hanson, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jennifer Love Hewitte, Puff Daddy, Justin Timberlake (with Luis on art), Bob Saget, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jesse Camp, various Pokemon, Furby, Bear in the Big Blue House, Hamsterdance, Mr. Winkle (world's cutest dog), Flat Eric, Insane Clown Posse, Survivor, Osama, Saddam and MORE.

Holy crap... I made over 20 Flash games dedicated solely to killing celebrities and other assorted pop-icons! Talk about MEAN!

Back in the day, Assassin was king here at Newgrounds. It was Assassin traffic that drove initial traffic to the newborn Portal, where fans of the site could submit their own work. Assassin eventually took a back seat to the Portal. Now, it seems stranded on the road side.

I decided to give it a face-lift! It isn't much... I re-categorized all the content, put it on a single page, simplified the layout as much as possible, and tried to link directly to Assassin missions rather than collection pages.

What does everyone think? Should we try to revive Assassin, or is it a mean-spirited relic of NGs past? There are lots of new, annoying celebrities who could use some abuse. Should we maintain that duty here at Newgrounds?

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
shazzam
shazzam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:45 PM Reply

How about bringing back the frontpage song?

That song kicked ass.

Flak
Flak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:47 PM Reply

pretty cool

BANNED. Later, gator.

BBS Signature
A-Plain-Name
A-Plain-Name
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:47 PM Reply

sweet when are you going to submit it
I wana kill
Saddam
Binladin
Bakstreet
And the rest

NOTE: PSN Illegal-Product or ILLEGALPRODUCT

BBS Signature
dsmking
dsmking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:48 PM Reply

Why the hell not. if it created ng then it cant be that bad. The one person that really needs to die is that guy who is running for president. What his name. is it kelly. Not sure

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club
And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature
Bertuzzi44
Bertuzzi44
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:48 PM Reply

Having Assasin "reborn" would be pretty cool. I visited the site a few times when Assasin and Club a Seal were the big things. Now with the Portal and stuff, all the original content is next to forgotten.. when it shouldn't be. I think giving it a new layout is a great idea..

Rabid-Echidna
Rabid-Echidna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 8/23/04 11:43 PM, TomFulp wrote:
There are lots of new, annoying celebrities who could use some abuse.

That's a bit of an understatement. I think you should revive the assassin series back to it's former glory. Nobody really seems to care about it as much. Perhaps you could have a new section on the front page for it, under the NG Contest section.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature
Jszostak
Jszostak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:49 PM Reply

yes make more i want to see more and more!!!!! thanks for reminding me of these babies, i love the little "face-lift" you made there

Phineus
Phineus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:51 PM Reply

AHAHAHAHAHAHA Hanson is under annoying WOMEN, nice one Tom!

As to revival of the Assassins.......I suppose if there was a colab of well know artists, they could take the Assassin to new levels. It would have to be something more than just blowing Justin Timberlake's head off with a shotgun.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer

Nice!! That was about time! I alway really liked the assassins, but they were never any updating there so...

I'm going right now on it!

Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy

update, upgrade, update...

too many!!!

give us a spam thread!

haha, nice work though tom. the assisins are still some of my favorite (i'm a sadistic bastard too)

but all i want for christmas is...PICO2 you fucking bastard. finish it!

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
OnionClock
OnionClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate

let stamper do the designing kthnx

ADarkerBreed
ADarkerBreed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:52 PM Reply

oooh, pretty

Murdocc
Murdocc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:55 PM Reply

What does everyone think? Should we try to revive Assassin,

OH GOD YES. Thats why i first started coming to NG.

YoinK
YoinK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 23rd, 2004 @ 11:58 PM Reply

Assassin was awesome. That's why Chris Rock Boxing was one of my first flash entries... assassin was what inspired me to make that boxing game. I really like celebrity killing games.. i should make more someday.

Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!

Ozcar
Ozcar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:04 AM Reply

No offense Tom...But I hate it :\

It was better how it was before...

Where is the music background?

Where is the guy with the shotgun?

No...I don't liked it at all...

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:06 AM Reply

Great! I like the idea of having new assassin entries added, but as existing pages and not portal entries. Or there could be an assassin portal. Nah, too many portals.

well, whatever. Anything new in the way of assassin rocks!

BBS Signature
CodeRedClock
CodeRedClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:07 AM Reply

i still got the old song downloaded :)

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:10 AM Reply

At 8/24/04 12:04 AM, UncleOzcar wrote:

oh yeah, I almost overlooked them. You can't cut the shotgun man : (

BBS Signature
Dark-Serpent
Dark-Serpent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:13 AM Reply

Wow the new Assassin page looks great Tom! You have wowwed us yet again. Well Done

w0lf
w0lf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:14 AM Reply

If your gonna revive assassin, your gonna have get ridof the crap. (i remember some real shitty stuff from that) Nowadays, NG users have higher standards. It also be nice to see the shotgun man & the fuzzball again.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:14 AM Reply

Geez, Assassin was the first page I stumbled upon on NG, way back in... geez, must have been '98

I'll have to check out this new page.

TheCatsLeotards
TheCatsLeotards
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:15 AM Reply

I think the new layout is great, especially because hanson is in annoying women, I don't know if you meant to do that or if it was a mistake, it's amusing either way.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:16 AM Reply

At 8/24/04 12:04 AM, UncleOzcar wrote: No offense Tom...But I hate it :\

It was better how it was before...

No...I don't liked it at all...

I'll say this - if Assassin is revived, Shotgun Man will return in full glory. Shotgun man had been relegated to smaller and smaller part of the page, until I no longer knew what to do with him. Assassin needs a title logo that really shows him off.

If Assassin is revisited, it has to be a whole new breed... The old missions look like crap - we can't add more crap. We have to take it to a whole new level, an unimaginable level of quality.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Xiivi
Xiivi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:17 AM Reply

So many upgrades, thanks!!!

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:20 AM Reply

Oh, good, I just rushed to this topic, and I was about to flip out about the absence of shotgun man.

Shotgun man is the mascot of assassin, he's been there forever! YOu can't just get rid of shotgun man.

Well, if you wanted to incorporate him into the Assassin banner, you could have him actually aiming his shotgun proper. You know, just hae his head at the left, and have the shotgun aiming down the length of the banner.

It would be simple and it would still embody shotgun man. Just have him slide in from the left, cock the shotgun, and the logo appears when he fires.

LethalDosage
LethalDosage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:25 AM Reply

At 8/23/04 11:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: Assassin was the backbone of Newgrounds. Although Club a Seal was the first big hit, Assassin is what built our initial audience. Fans came by regularly to see which celebrity was on the chopping block. I worked feverishly and frantically to build new Assassin missions so that no one would be disappointed. The originals were in HTML, following by javascript, then eventually Flash.

yes, I remember when I was younger before I had a newgrounds account, even before I had a computer. I use to go to the library after school, and come on newgrounds. me and my friends from school would be on the Library internet on those vary assasin games I loved them. then the librarians would catch us on them and kick us out.... man I loved those games.

I made Flash games where players could kill Britney Spears, Madonna, the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Marylin Manson, the Taco Bell Dog, Mahir the Turkish Stud, Hanson, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jennifer Love Hewitte, Puff Daddy, Justin Timberlake (with Luis on art), Bob Saget, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jesse Camp, various Pokemon, Furby, Bear in the Big Blue House, Hamsterdance, Mr. Winkle (world's cutest dog), Flat Eric, Insane Clown Posse, Survivor, Osama, Saddam and MORE.
Holy crap... I made over 20 Flash games dedicated solely to killing celebrities and other assorted pop-icons! Talk about MEAN!

God damn, you sadistic bastard, how dare you make games to kill all the celebrity pop stars... j/ks. they deserve it, those plastic sugery, lip syncing bastards.

Back in the day, Assassin was king here at Newgrounds. It was Assassin traffic that drove initial traffic to the newborn Portal, where fans of the site could submit their own work. Assassin eventually took a back seat to the Portal. Now, it seems stranded on the road side.

So true, like I said, when i was younger before I got a newgrounds account, that was the only reason I ever came on the site.

I decided to give it a face-lift! It isn't much... I re-categorized all the content, put it on a single page, simplified the layout as much as possible, and tried to link directly to Assassin missions rather than collection pages.
What does everyone think? Should we try to revive Assassin, or is it a mean-spirited relic of NGs past? There are lots of new, annoying celebrities who could use some abuse. Should we maintain that duty here at Newgrounds?

I think the new layout is better then the old one. I never noticed how mant there were until now.
maybe one day you can make a couple more to add to the collection :D

Retrogade Art

BBS Signature
altr
altr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:26 AM Reply

Should we maintain that duty here at Newgrounds?

YES! Goddamn it. =)

A Stamperized Shotgun Man would look oh so pretty in there, I'm thinking ...

At 1/16/09 06:14 AM, Jonas wrote:
: Altr remains the only reason the BBS is here. It waits for him to post, and cries when he ignores it's unlubed asshole.

BBS Signature
BenTheJammin
BenTheJammin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:26 AM Reply

maintain duty... lets kill some celebrities...

Ozcar
Ozcar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Assassin Update Aug. 24th, 2004 @ 12:27 AM Reply

At 8/24/04 12:16 AM, TomFulp wrote: We have to take it to a whole new level, an unimaginable level of quality.

Well...seems to be a hard job, man :)

But, take a look to these days animators..I think their skills are better and better...(Even when there are hundreds of crappy movies deleted per week)

It's up to you, and it's up to use to make it "reborn" in its full glory...

So...I'm going back to do something with flash...

You know? I like that section...My sister made me watch it a long time ago, and that's what make me come to Newgrounds... But, that's not my "style"...I don't like to do animations with blood or that kind of stuff, but I'll see what can I do ;)