New Topic Respond to this Topic
mantynband
mantynband
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Converting AVI to Flash Oct. 19th, 2001 @ 03:09 PM Reply

I need help in converting this avi movie file into a Flash movie. I don't have the time to learn the intricacies of programming for Flash and the manual does not so much as help one bit. This movie does have sound, so include information on converting that as well. If I need to convert the movie file into a differant format or isolate the sound, include information on how to do that as well. Assume I am an idiot that can only do basic Windows stuff. If it helps, the movie isn't a standard one. It has a framerate of 23.98 and a size of 300x150. I would also appreciate if someone could tell me how to make a toolbar that allows you to do such things as pause and rewind. Right now, I don't have the time to learn all the intricacies of programming Flash but I really want to convert this movie. Any help is appreciated.

Citron-Rochell
Citron-Rochell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Oct. 22nd, 2001 @ 06:50 AM Reply

At 10/19/01 03:09 PM, mantynband wrote: I need help in converting this avi movie file into a Flash movie. I don't have the time to learn the intricacies of programming for Flash and the manual does not so much as help one bit. This movie does have sound, so include information on converting that as well. If I need to convert the movie file into a differant format or isolate the sound, include information on how to do that as well. Assume I am an idiot that can only do basic Windows stuff. If it helps, the movie isn't a standard one. It has a framerate of 23.98 and a size of 300x150. I would also appreciate if someone could tell me how to make a toolbar that allows you to do such things as pause and rewind. Right now, I don't have the time to learn all the intricacies of programming Flash but I really want to convert this movie. Any help is appreciated.

Unfortunately, you aren't likely to convert AVI to Flash.

The difference between Flash and AVI is key to understanding this concept.

AVI is basically like your standard video/TV show, in that it's just images stitched together that form movement, much like the retarded flipbook projects you've been made to do in school. A good analogy for an AVI would be as follows:

Take a camera, and take a bunch of pictures of one object. After each picture, move the object a very small distance in one direction. If you move those pictures fast enough, you've created an animated image of said object.

Flash, on the other hand, is based on vectors and key information. A Flash movie file is basically a load of coordinates with any imported bitmap images and audio.

Now, because AVI's are basically snapshots put together in order, and flash is based on points, lines, and other such things, the conversion, to my knowledge, CANNOT be made. Certainly, you can convert captured images from the AVI to vector in Flash 5, but you lose quality.

All in all, you CAN'T. Period. End of story. Find a different project.

Frank2982
Frank2982
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Oct. 22nd, 2001 @ 10:08 AM Reply

At 10/19/01 03:09 PM, mantynband wrote: I need help in converting this avi movie file into a Flash movie. I don't have the time to learn the intricacies of programming for Flash and the manual does not so much as help one bit. This movie does have sound, so include information on converting that as well. If I need to convert the movie file into a differant format or isolate the sound, include information on how to do that as well. Assume I am an idiot that can only do basic Windows stuff. If it helps, the movie isn't a standard one. It has a framerate of 23.98 and a size of 300x150. I would also appreciate if someone could tell me how to make a toolbar that allows you to do such things as pause and rewind. Right now, I don't have the time to learn all the intricacies of programming Flash but I really want to convert this movie. Any help is appreciated.

I saw something about this in a book I have for Flash 5. When I get home, I'll look through the book and find it for you. Just hope I remember to come back to this forum as I barely ever come in here.

mantynband
mantynband
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Oct. 22nd, 2001 @ 02:39 PM Reply

Unfortunately, you aren't likely to convert AVI to Flash.

The difference between Flash and AVI is key to understanding this concept.

AVI is basically like your standard video/TV show, in that it's just images stitched together that form movement, much like the retarded flipbook projects you've been made to do in school. A good analogy for an AVI would be as follows:

Take a camera, and take a bunch of pictures of one object. After each picture, move the object a very small distance in one direction. If you move those pictures fast enough, you've created an animated image of said object.

Flash, on the other hand, is based on vectors and key information. A Flash movie file is basically a load of coordinates with any imported bitmap images and audio.

Now, because AVI's are basically snapshots put together in order, and flash is based on points, lines, and other such things, the conversion, to my knowledge, CANNOT be made. Certainly, you can convert captured images from the AVI to vector in Flash 5, but you lose quality.

All in all, you CAN'T. Period. End of story. Find a different project.

Perhaps I could convert all of the frames of this AVI into an image and use them to recreate it on Flash? It isn't too terribly complex of a movie (most of the time, the frame is dominated by a white background), so it wouldn't take too long. I just need to find out how to make picture files out of this AVI as well as how to rip the audio of it into a seperate file. It would be a simple (if painfully long) process from there. Sure, it will look like crap, but I feel this is really a necessity for Newgrounds (I can't say what it is, because then someone else will beat me to getting it up). Any advice on that?

Rabies-1
Rabies-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Oct. 23rd, 2001 @ 06:12 AM Reply

Ripping sound is relatively easy. I use the SoundBlaster sound card. If you do, and you installed all the programs that came with it, then you should have something call Creative Recorder. In Recorder you have the option to record "What you hear". Use this while playing your movie source such as your avi. The sound that you record is saved in .wav format. To use in Flash, this format is too large so use winamp or something similar to convert the .wav to .mp3 to reduce the size and shazam there you go.

fourchinnigan
fourchinnigan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Filmmaker
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Oct. 23rd, 2001 @ 09:10 AM Reply

I'm not sure, but you may be able to import the movie and flash may break it down frame by frame. The thing is, all those bitmapped images are going to shoot up the filesize anyway. What is the point?
Are you trying to upload a lego movie?

mantynband
mantynband
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Oct. 27th, 2001 @ 02:00 AM Reply

I just extracted every frame out of this animation. Now, besides connect all 1811 of these frames into an animation (I think there's a fast way to do it, but I'm not sure), I also have to extract the sound. The "Record What You Hear" tip didn't work out, so I just need to know how to get the sound ripped and all I'll need is to figure out how to make a preloader and replay button and I shall get my fifteen minutes of fame.

Also, are you able to determine the framerate on Flash? The original movie was 24 frames a second (actually 23.8, but I can't be too picky) and it wouln't work right at thirty frames per second.

mantynband
mantynband
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Oct. 27th, 2001 @ 02:14 AM Reply

Mistake. It's 23.98 FPS.

GhostBust
GhostBust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Mar. 9th, 2005 @ 07:03 AM Reply

Good converting advice: Video to Flash converter. http://www.geovid.com/Video_to_Flash_Converter/

julia-jk
julia-jk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Dec. 8th, 2005 @ 09:56 AM Reply

Converting AVI to Flash by geovid.com
the best software for converting
like http://www.geovid.co..o_Video_Encoder_PRO/

supperbas
supperbas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Converting AVI to Flash Dec. 10th, 2005 @ 08:23 AM Reply

At 3/9/05 07:03 AM, GhostBust wrote: Good converting advice: Video to Flash converter. http://www.geovid.co.._to_Flash_Converter/

this post is maded 4 years ago

and if you need a converter buy flash 8