Respond to this Topic
quattrokappa
quattrokappa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 11:06:55 Reply

Hell yeaaaa! Alien Vs. Predator the arcade game baby! I got that rom. It was pretty awesome, and they got it for SNES. I liked the arcade game Aliens more. That was awesome with the guns and shit. That had M-D firing I think. Alien Vs. Predator was the shit for jaguar. I paid $80 for a copy from Atari. Yup.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 14:03:37 Reply

At 10/20/01 03:26 PM, DualApoc wrote: In addition to the weapons I mentioned in the above statement, you might want to offer a close-range alternative; everything I listed was long-range, a folly on my behalf.

0] Brass Knuckles/Drive Saber: The close-range weapons. Brass knuckles don't need introduction; everyone knows what they are. The Drive Saber is an alien weapon that changes depending on the user's primary emotion. Its function changes dependent on the modules equipped with it.

Module 1: Weapon Modification
Influence: Pico's Overdrive enhances the weapon with an effect related to the Emotion Engine.
Metastasis: The weapon enhances Pico's abilities during the Overdrive period, dependent on the Emotion Engine.

Module 2: Emotion Engine
Rage
-Influence: Drive Saber causes double damage
-Metastasis: All weapons cause double damage, Overdrive exhausts faster
Compassion
-Influence: Drive Saber does damage and repels enemy
-Metastasis: Half damage received from enemy attacks, Overdrive exhausts faster (Note to self: don't fire Rail Gun at close range)
Valor
-Influence: Drive Saber attacks faster
-Metastasis: Movement accelerated
Pride
-Influence: Drive Saber reduces enemy defensive abilities
-Metastasis: Life regenerates, Overdrive exhausts faster

Pico will be able to punch, so brass knuckles could be a good upgrade. The drive saber sounds a bit complex though... What if he could just have a MOOD RING that has different effects based on Pico's rage meter? :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 14:05:44 Reply

At 10/20/01 03:45 PM, Stitch wrote: Wow. It has been a long time since the original talk of Pico 2. I remember when you were asking for gaming ideas, like, storyline and shit. I thought you just gave up on it. Man, I have been waiting for some updates on this for a looong time. This is going to be some crazy shit. And Tom, dude, you have to make sure you push the envelope as much as you can. Like, ALOT... Thanks for the update, it's been a while.

I think for the directionals keep it left and right, and maybe up... maybe. And you have to add an arsenol. Like, alot of weapons. Some normal like an M16, and some crazy shit like, oh, I don't know, a fecal launcher. THAT would be some shit.

Heh. Makes me want to work more on my game. Space Cruizer 2... It's gunna be one o' ma best pieces of work. Here is a pic:

Woah - that shooter looks pretty slick!

-Tom

BBS Signature
Miggs
Miggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 14:11:44 Reply

At 10/21/01 02:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Woah - that shooter looks pretty slick!

-Tom

Thanks Tom! Wow, a positive comment from the founder of Newgrounds.com about my movie. I feel so special. *sighs* Anyway, thanks... Ah shit! POPUPS! SHIT NO! TOM! YOU GOTTA DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE POPUPS! AAHH! PLEASE HELP! - silence -

Attention Gamers! Pico 2!

Miggs
Miggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 14:35:06 Reply

At 10/21/01 02:14 PM, lm_mario wrote: Hello,

This is in reply to "VampyreSolare" comment. I understand what you are saying, but you must understand that newgrounds has a rebutation of stepping on "people's toes". They have made fun of goth guys, children's tv shows, pop cluture and have content that makes fun of christians. I myself know to take these things in good humor. I like that newgrounds isn't afriad to display this content. I think that people are becomming to P.C. (Politically Correct").

Anyways I think he should stick to the on going storyline and have the GhettoBots be the baddies.(making fun of urban slum culture this time... oohh nooo 8).

Sincerely,
John - David (a.ka. Mario)

Big deal! I'm a goth also, it's all in fun, man! It's really just making fun of posers. The ones who don't know what being a goth is all about. I thought it was hilarious! Pico was great! I mean, come on! It's all in fun. And hey, FUCK POLITICALLY CORRECT! (IE: THERE IS NO USE IN ARGUING WITH A CHRISTIAN WHETHER GOD EXISTS OR NOT BECAUSE THEY DON'T LISTEN!) <- just an example. Fuck politically correct! Christians don't listen, all artists are stoned and crazy, goths all worship the devil, and all black people live in africa, jewish people are the source of all the world's problems! The fact is, I don't believe in any of those comments i just said (except for the christian one) I'm just making it a point that we have a freedom of speech, SO LET TOM USE IT!

Queen-Jenny
Queen-Jenny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 18:12:20 Reply

I know this has nothing to do with anything but...
I want you Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

inkfish16
inkfish16
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 18:13:08 Reply

What was so wrong with the original idea of walking but using the mouse to point?

Sure, it might look kind of funny to see him running like that, but really how serious is the Pico Series. Besides, what it lacks in that aspect it would make up for because to my knowledge no one has ever done something like that before. It would put a whole lot more action into the game in my opinion. Having to dodge attacks while shooting and using both the keyboard and mouse at the same time could really enlarge the number of cool ideas you could put into the game. Anyway, do what you have to but I think that the original idea has the most merit out of all of them, providing a lot of action with an idea which is (thank god) new to Newgrounds.

As always,

PUT FROIG MAN IN THE SERIES SECTION YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS!!!!!

VampyreSolare
VampyreSolare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 18:27:38 Reply

Stitch said:Big deal! I'm a goth also, it's all in fun, man! It's really just making fun of posers. The ones who don't know what being a goth is all about. I thought it was hilarious! Pico was great! I mean, come on! It's all in fun. And hey, FUCK POLITICALLY CORRECT! (IE: THERE IS NO USE IN ARGUING WITH A CHRISTIAN WHETHER GOD EXISTS OR NOT BECAUSE THEY DON'T LISTEN!) <- just an example. Fuck politically correct! Christians don't listen, all artists are stoned and crazy, goths all worship the devil, and all black people live in africa, jewish people are the source of all the world's problems! The fact is, I don't believe in any of those comments i just said (except for the christian one) I'm just making it a point that we have a freedom of speech, SO LET TOM USE IT! I wasnt saying that I didn't like the Pico concept (I really enjoyed Nene's Interactive Suicide)

I agree with you wholeheartedly... but I know of some who are ignorant enough to take it as a full interpretation and use that joke as a weapon. I wasnt saying to have it pulled... I just wanted to express that one point. It is true, unfortunately, its all the posers that have desicrated the name of goth... and unfortunately... it will be a long time to shake off that stigma... and you are right on this... political correctness is a pipe dream. So... instead of making much a bigger deal of it than it really is.. lets just have fun. I just really didn't want people to see the culture as that parodical interpretation and to keep an open mind.

VampyreSolare
VampyreSolare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 18:34:58 Reply

Hello,

This is in reply to "VampyreSolare" comment. I understand what you are saying, but you must understand that newgrounds has a rebutation of stepping on "people's toes". They have made fun of goth guys, children's tv shows, pop cluture and have content that makes fun of christians. I myself know to take these things in good humor. I like that newgrounds isn't afriad to display this content. I think that people are becomming to P.C. (Politically Correct").

Anyways I think he should stick to the on going storyline and have the GhettoBots be the baddies.(making fun of urban slum culture this time... oohh nooo 8).

No offense toward you, Mario, but I think you misinterpreted the premise of what I was trying to
point out. I just wanted to say that I wouldn't want the entire subculture to be labled as a bunch of mass murderers. In fact, now that I look at it as a slam against posers... its kinda funny. I guess that I myself was guilty of misinterpretation on that point. Oh well... I just didn't want everyone who likes Bauhaus or Skinny Puppy to be labled as a gun toting madman... And I do suppose that things should be taken lightly... and that it is all in fun. Oh well... I was just trying to get a point across. I hope I have clarified what I said and redeemed myself.

Radam
Radam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 20:23:15 Reply

At 10/18/01 03:54 PM, TomFulp wrote: KEY QUESTION:
1) How should the control scheme for Pico 2 work? How do you want to control the character and what abilities should he have?

*NOTE: There are TONS of abilities for Pico that I haven't mentioned in this post, so don't get crazy if you think your idea is 'stolen'. :)

It wasn't mentioned in the original post (I don't think), but what I'd like to see is a Lucas Arts style (Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle) game control. Of course this would require the use of the mouse, but:

Have a list of options onscreen -- move, shoot, take, use, etc -- and an inventory where items were stored. The player would click an option, then click the noun to which he wants the action applied.

Move (click) to this spot (click).

Shoot (click) this guy (click).

Take (click) this key (click).

Use (click) the key (click) on this door (click).

Anyway, this may not be anything you want to try to do, but there's my bit. I'd like to see feedback from Tom or others either way.

>:C

JDCOOL
JDCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 20:47:46 Reply

FOR A STORY you could have pico go to a fild trip to the rain forest and have lot of weapons. I liked the old pico what of evey thing.

EntropicOrder
EntropicOrder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 22:13:58 Reply

TomFulp wrote: Funny you mention the inventory - that is exactly how the scrapped version of Pico 2 works - you can access stuff with the # keys or clock on them with the mouse.

That would work best.

if I stick with horizontal I don't need to animate all the angles.

I would go with that. In any case, 2-way or 8-way, you should do this: the gun and body go in whatever direction you walk towards. Then, if you hold the shoot button and walk in any direction, he faces the direction he originally started shooting in, until you let go of shoot and walk in a different direction.

I think that's how you originally stated it, but I'm just trying to confirm that idea.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 22:56:16 Reply

At 10/21/01 08:23 PM, Radam wrote:
At 10/18/01 03:54 PM, TomFulp wrote: KEY QUESTION:
1) How should the control scheme for Pico 2 work? How do you want to control the character and what abilities should he have?

*NOTE: There are TONS of abilities for Pico that I haven't mentioned in this post, so don't get crazy if you think your idea is 'stolen'. :)
It wasn't mentioned in the original post (I don't think), but what I'd like to see is a Lucas Arts style (Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle) game control. Of course this would require the use of the mouse, but:

Have a list of options onscreen -- move, shoot, take, use, etc -- and an inventory where items were stored. The player would click an option, then click the noun to which he wants the action applied.

Move (click) to this spot (click).

Shoot (click) this guy (click).

Take (click) this key (click).

Use (click) the key (click) on this door (click).

Anyway, this may not be anything you want to try to do, but there's my bit. I'd like to see feedback from Tom or others either way.

I was thinking of that style - using the mouse to click where you want to walk. It is really tempting, but I want to go for a slightly more arcade-style... With puzzles intact.

-Tom

BBS Signature
MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 22:58:08 Reply

Control

Some people want mouse control
Some want arrow controls

WHY NOT BOTH?!

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 23:00:55 Reply

YOU DO GET MONEY EVERYTIME AN AD POPS UP ON MY SCREEN, RIGHT?!

echo-tyme
echo-tyme
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-21 23:30:44 Reply

Okay, the ALL KEYBOARD IDEA could go like this.

The mouse could be used to turn, then you could use the (up) arrow key to move in that direction!

sound good?

Echo Tyme

Echo-NY
Echo-NY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 00:55:29 Reply

Dear Tom,

I love your Snoop Dogg ads and how they pop up everytime you go to a different page.

-Echo NY

a12fgrldoelltse
a12fgrldoelltse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 01:04:59 Reply

I'm sure whatever controls you decide on will be great. I think the direction sticking in one of the 8 positions as long as the action key is pressed is a good idea.but...now i have to complain.

Whats up with all the adds all of a sudden!!!!!??? Do you really get enough money from them to justify how annoying they are? (if you do, then hell...more power to you, but if you dont..there must be another way...donations or something?) I love Newgrounds, but all these adds are making me cut on myself again and my doctor has highly recommended against that.

a12fgrldoelltse
a12fgrldoelltse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 01:11:46 Reply

ok allready!!!
for the love of god!!!!!
i will go and see that crappy snoop dogg movie....
JUST MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 03:29:03 Reply

Tom:

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH THE PROFILES!

AND WHAT THE HELL IS A "BLAM"

My guess for "BLAM"-A movie you got deleted by voting low on.

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 03:30:43 Reply

I DO NOT support ROM users b/c it is illegal.

But I am all for using ROMs for the game snippets to make this great flash!

But it is going to happen anyway, so might as well
I heard this site was a ROM site

www.cherryroms.com

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 03:32:27 Reply

Echo_NY and Echo_Tyme

Are you the same person?(2 accounts)

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 03:34:08 Reply

Sorry for 6 posts but....

How do you raise your popularity level exactly? I only got 19.....

zoro
zoro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 07:48:45 Reply

Tom once you have brought this Game out, you should do a Making of style page where there are pre production designs and stuff that wasn't in the game and the original versions of the game.

You've stopped, started and changed pico so many times it would be good to see his development, you know, something for the fans.

just a sggestion, good luck with pico.

Laters.

zoro
zoro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 07:50:21 Reply

At 10/22/01 03:34 AM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote: Sorry for 6 posts but....

How do you raise your popularity level exactly? I only got 19.....

Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 08:52:35 Reply

Tom dude, you know what would also be sweet? At the beginning of the game you get to customize Pico with clothes, accesories, etc. I love games where you can customize your character. Or you could make it where you can goto Pico's room and change outfits and accesories any time during the game or something.

Sargoth
Sargoth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 10:08:07 Reply

It wasn't mentioned in the original post (I don't think), but what I'd like to see is a Lucas Arts style (Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle) game control. Of course this would require the use of the mouse

mmmmmmmmmmm - I'd love to see this in a flash game, though its maybe not right for Pico. Sam and Max, the orignal Monkey Islands...some of my all time favourites. If this could be done in Flash, It would be great to see it done.

mentobahamut
mentobahamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 13:54:27 Reply

Just make sure that it stays true to the original Pico, I still play that today! If you're gonna stick in tons of features/abilities try not to make it too complicated.. And bring back that Pyromaniac guy (I forget his name)! Thats it, I'm looking forward to it!

swiftcat
swiftcat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 14:26:36 Reply

i think there should be a wireframe see thru glasses mode, where everything would turn invisible except the lines that make up the walls, and objects you are looking for or fighting just become green or red glows....

LiquidIcE
LiquidIcE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Attention Gamers! Pico 2! 2001-10-22 20:29:46 Reply

I presonally thought the first pico was great! I think the same controls would rock. I don't want to talk about gameplay, because I guess you've got all that covered. But I say keep the old controls.