Respond to this Topic
Maxewatson
Maxewatson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 08:42:33 Reply

At 8/14/04 08:38 AM, Carmilla wrote: I live in Tampa and we got unbelievably lucky that Charley turned. Considering Charley was originally expected to slam into Tampa, the people in my area are all extremely blessed. I guess Friday the 13th was our lucky day!

I live in tampa too it was a close one.

Carmilla
Carmilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 08:49:23 Reply

At 8/14/04 08:00 AM, F-13_TrashLock wrote: Seriously. I don't know if it's the same in florida, but wood is just a gay material for houses.

In Florida there are building requirements that you must meet. You can build your house out of wood, but the wood will be a covering for the steel/concrete you must use to build the house. Basically the frame is steel/concrete and the wood is just a decorative covering. About the only homes that are an exception to this rule are older ones that were built before the requirements.

At 8/14/04 12:26 AM, Inuyasha50095 wrote: I live in Hagerstown, MD...I guess thats a good thing for us people living in Maryland. But as for the people in florida (and the other states that will be hit) my prayers are with them. And as for the people that have to the guts to stay in florida, good luck...

My sister-in-law lives there. I hope it doesn't affect you all much.

a.k.a. Mary
My NG Wiki Page
"i guess it's settled that carm is a the manliest and most chauvinistic of mods? ^_________^" - Rucklo

BBS Signature
Razoric
Razoric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 08:50:13 Reply

http://www.razoric.com/images/hurricanecharley.jpg

It's weak but it's heading towards me now. :I

Razoric.com - Independent Game Developer

BBS Signature
Lazy
Lazy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 08:51:38 Reply

I was so fucking scared when i heard the news,but luckly it went east of my town.

I feel bad for others....

old man status

BBS Signature
AloneInTheDark
AloneInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 08:53:34 Reply

Ok it seems like we are all still alive and well. Apart from some material damage.

Lets put as much thought now to the people who dont have any materials at all that can be damaged. Or food.

BBS Signature
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Artist
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 09:20:00 Reply

omg i survived! lol i was in st petersburg but they made us evacualte to a safer place and now i am in orlando where the eye on the hurricane went over! lol but it was a neat expericence for me and it made the vacaion a all lot better lol
P.S i am in a hotel right now and the tv as the internet and a keyboard and it slow to view te pages and tha b/c there is no mouse.

BBS Signature
Onimal
Onimal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 09:39:56 Reply

Hahaha...This is great.

I hope everyone gets killed.

BBS Signature
McPaper
McPaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Programmer
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 09:41:22 Reply

im watching this in the news in (sh)italy!

Thats quite a storm! I dont recomend going outside to walk your dog.

BBS Signature
jadeus
jadeus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 09:47:25 Reply

I don't mean to be stupid, but i can't help it... isn't St Petersburg the capital of Russia? I hope everyone who lives in Florida and all of those Floridinian, Cuban.... um.. victim.. newgrounders are okay.

I have a cousin who is in florida , Miami right now.. can anyone tell me about the effects of the hurricane and where it is now.
Thanks.

MellowMushroom
MellowMushroom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 10:20:34 Reply

At 8/14/04 09:47 AM, jadeus wrote: I don't mean to be stupid, but i can't help it... isn't St Petersburg the capital of Russia?

Yeah, but its also a city in florida. Yeah this Storm is going to be a ian in the ass, i live in Tallahassee. Were getting all sorts of people up here that have been evacuted form tampa. I had to spend 3 days digging trenches and setting sand bags for when the storm does hit.

Semi-Shinro
Semi-Shinro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 10:20:42 Reply

From what I saw on the News, the outcome was anything but good.
Many people died...

If it stays on course, it's gonna hit Georgia, South Carolina, and Then North Carolina... I live in North Carolina... Here is more Info on Hurricane Charley

thefrankisgr8
thefrankisgr8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 10:28:51 Reply

i live not to far from where the hurricane hit. although we got a little rain the wind was horrible. although its choice weather for surfing here is the winds and stuff.... but nothing really happened in my area and i want to say sorry for people whos homes were destroyed and people who may have died....... again i'm sorry

Twiminy
Twiminy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 10:31:08 Reply

I would expect that my little area would have a bit of destruction, But all I got was some light rain for half an hour. rather funny compared to the rest of the state that got hit. I laugh at that part.

BobbyJenkins
BobbyJenkins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 10:57:18 Reply

I totally love hurricanes...well, obviously not the part where thousands of people's homes are destroyed, but I think they look so cool. I really one to see one in real life before I die.

BBS Signature
Twiminy
Twiminy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 10:59:17 Reply

http://www.local10.com/weather/3654049/detail.html "President Bush declared a major disaster area in Florida, making federal money available to Charlotte, Lee, Manatee and Sarasota counties. "

Korin92
Korin92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 11:10:24 Reply

At 8/14/04 07:11 AM, Darken-X wrote:
At 8/14/04 03:29 AM, wazup190 wrote:
excuse me wade, I dont want to be rude. but in my opinion the U.S. does not spend more of thier money on helping people then canada. alot of the states money goes into the army that they are so well known for. but canada puts alot of money out to other countries. this is just my opinion, I could be wrong. but until I am proven otherwise, I will stick with my opinion.(I AM WRONG!!!!1)

How can you have an opinion on who spends the most? Clearly the US government puts away more money to foreign aid than any other country. Also, according to a recent survey, per person Americans are the most charitable people the planet. Don't belive me? Buy an Almanac or read the Economist.

P.S. If we are talking % of income giving as foreign aid, then your still wrong; Japan leads in that field.

Darken

Aaannnnd....^ You are correct!!!!1 Don't say 'Cananada spends more $$$ on foreign aid than any other country.' Because, your wrong. The U.N. food programs for 3rd world countries is headed by who??? The U.S.A. so none of this Cananada bull shit.

Korin92
Korin92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 11:12:50 Reply

At 8/14/04 08:00 AM, F-13_TrashLock wrote: Ahaha now florida people will regret building their house with wood.
Seriously, here in europ, we don't have natural disasters, but we are smart enough to use bricks and make basements.
I lived 3 years in california, visited about 100 houses, all made of fucking wood
Seriously. I don't know if it's the same in florida, but wood is just a gay material for houses.

In Florida, atleast most areas, the land is too close to sea level to build a basment. Where I live dig down a foot or two and what have you got? Water. Past that? More soil. But it would be too costly to make a basement + it would have the risk of collapse because of the water.

Clear-Mind
Clear-Mind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 11:17:31 Reply

thank you charley for this wonderful damage in my neighborhood

Hurricane Charly

Korin92
Korin92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 11:17:46 Reply

At 8/14/04 09:47 AM, jadeus wrote: I don't mean to be stupid, but i can't help it... isn't St Petersburg the capital of Russia? I hope everyone who lives in Florida and all of those Floridinian, Cuban.... um.. victim.. newgrounders are okay.

I have a cousin who is in florida , Miami right now.. can anyone tell me about the effects of the hurricane and where it is now.
Thanks.

No. Moscow is the capital of Russia. St. Petersburg is a hell of a city on the western side of Russia though.

PanzerDivision
PanzerDivision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 11:22:38 Reply

I have some friends in that area, i will see if they get any good pics and try to post some.

Outlaw88
Outlaw88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 11:25:41 Reply

I'm very releaved.. the storm just missed where i live. There is a lot of wrecked houses further west though.... A few senior homes got destroyed too...

WWE Club Founder of the "Weird" Al club & Strong Badia. TMBG Club! MLP! Sig by: Ryan
Click the sig... Check my blog. My podcast: The Freakacast!

BBS Signature
Archangel-X
Archangel-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 11:54:11 Reply

Just saw the devastation on the news, it's really terrible. My condolences to all who where affected. I know from first hand experience how horrid hurricanes can be. I can only hope that FEMA gets its act together to help out the victims ASAP.

UncivillizedFrog
UncivillizedFrog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 11:58:19 Reply

sigh...
another story of destruction and fish flying literally in the winds-- hope all the ppl and residents of florida are ok. i have seen worse than a 4 level... but these rpretty destructive thingimohbawbberthingymahbobbajigs

Morextremist
Morextremist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 12:03:55 Reply

it looked pretty bad

blamx0rinator
blamx0rinator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 12:03:59 Reply

Like the portal, the real world needs it's cleansing too. I, for one, am in favor of the hurricane wiping out everyone stupid enough to stay in a trailer throughout this whole event.

MoonCraft
MoonCraft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 12:15:01 Reply

Just drove down to Universal to drop my roomate off at work. The weather isfreakin' gorgeous outside. Despite the un-earthed trees and debris on the road, it's a perfect Florida morning.

"As I'm sure you're aware it is full of silhouettes of girls. The one on the M looks like she has a dick, just saiyan." -Shade-

BBS Signature
GooieGreen
GooieGreen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 12:15:02 Reply

my grandpa lives where the eye of the storm hit. I have no idea how he is since the phone lines are down

Weaksid
Weaksid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 12:22:10 Reply

I have some family located at "St Petersburg, FL". The hurricane was suppose to hit this area directly but shifted. They said they got some rain but that's about it. It's sad to hear that several people died because of this. I also heard that it took off a roof of a retirement home. They weren't able to move these people out so several of them died. This is one reason I won't live around Flordia.

I live in a place where the only problem we have is floods. Altoona, PA is a place where you don't have to worry about too much of the weather. O' and snow is another thing to worry about.

Hopefully this will be the last bad one for the year. But I doubt it.

FiveStar
FiveStar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 12:28:06 Reply

poor old florida....

FiveStar
FiveStar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Hurricane Charly 2004-08-14 12:30:07 Reply

good thing it didn't hit big areas like hurricane isabel did last year.... isabel was quite a bitch........... it hit philadelphia, baltimore and d.c.