WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 11:27 AM Reply

For the next few days, or weeks, Newgrounds may experience traffic overload. We have been getting a lot of media attention from the Osama Bin Laden collection, which will result in increased traffic. We will do everything we can to handle the increased load, but there maybe times when the site becomes very slow, or unresponsive.

The media has been asking us questions like "Why do we get so much enjoyment out of these Osama Bin Laden games?" and that's a good question. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on why we think these games are so much fun, and why they are so popular!

So voice your comments here! Maybe your comments will make the news!

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

EntropicOrder
EntropicOrder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 11:36 AM Reply

We've been enjoying blowing up just about everyone on newgrounds for years now. It's natural for humans to have a kill instict, and this is probably the safest way to vent our animal thoughts.

Osama is just another person to blow up, except that he is actually a person that a lot of people really want to blow up. That is the main reason that people are making these games.

Another reason is that a lot of other people would see Osama games getting good ratings on NG, so everyone jumped on the bandwagon to get the same attention.

It's too bad the site is down though. I couldn't get on for almost a whole day!

Site Overload!

Oberon9580
Oberon9580
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 11:36 AM Reply

At 10/3/01 11:27 AM, WadeFulp wrote: For the next few days, or weeks, Newgrounds may experience traffic overload. We have been getting a lot of media attention from the Osama Bin Laden collection, which will result in increased traffic. We will do everything we can to handle the increased load, but there maybe times when the site becomes very slow, or unresponsive.

The media has been asking us questions like "Why do we get so much enjoyment out of these Osama Bin Laden games?" and that's a good question. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on why we think these games are so much fun, and why they are so popular!

It's quite simple... the majority of the Newgrounds users here can do very little, if anything in the real world to make a difference in righting this heinous injustice, and that by submitting these movies, they can in a sense get a sense of justice.

Personally, I'd never stoop low enough that I'd submit one of these movies... however, I do enjoy watching the Anti-Osama entries :)

Coraxus
Coraxus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 11:37 AM Reply

Maybe people like to play them is because they want to take out their anger out on something. At least if more people take out their anger on the anti-Osama games, then less people will take out on those they may discriminate like Muslims and Arabs who had nothing to do with the attack
I hope.

Only I can make blue whales cry.

Citron-Rochell
Citron-Rochell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 11:41 AM Reply

While I heavily doubt my comments will make the news, simply because I'm not saying "Because I WANT to KILL HIM and his RACE!" or "Because I'm a young adult who plays violent video games."

Truth of the matter is, I like this collection, and other fine collections here at newgrounds </brownnosing> for one reason. VENTING. VENTING and COPING.

When I wind up at Newgrounds, I am here because a) I wanna do something cool before I go to bed, b) I'm pissed off, and I don't feel right venting the ways that everyone in normal society suggests, and c) Because, despite the violent nature of Newgrounds, there's a lot of good stuff here.

Why do I like that particular collection? It helps me cope with what happened. I mean, holy jesus, we lost a good chunk of the population with that little escapade they pulled, and I feel a lot of rage towards bin Laden right now. And since I can't strike out against him, I play these games. He doesn't look right in most of them, but it's as close as I'm gonna get without joining the army.

So, in closing, feel free to check out the site, see what we DO when we can't cope. That's all this is. Venting and Coping.

Citron Rochell
cafepress.com/ladennull/

maxxamp
maxxamp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 11:43 AM Reply

Misguided nationalism needs a safe outlet. This way people can indulge their fanatically reckless fantasies, and not worry about silly things such as long term consequences. I'd much rather people hop on here and beat up a flash version of Osama bin Laden than go out and carry on like a lynch mob.

ShadowMantis
ShadowMantis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 11:47 AM Reply

At 10/3/01 11:27 AM, WadeFulp wrote: For the next few days, or weeks, Newgrounds may experience traffic overload. We have been getting a lot of media attention from the Osama Bin Laden collection, which will result in increased traffic. We will do everything we can to handle the increased load, but there maybe times when the site becomes very slow, or unresponsive.

Personally I don't know what people get out of it, but I think it's because of the need for "justice" or revenge in this country is so great. Most of us Americans don't like to get attacked and not do anything about it. And since we'll never have a crack and Bin Ladin himself, this is the best way we can release on him.

I think it's sick, but that's just me. I mean I know I've got better things to do in my life than worry about screwing myself over for Bin Ladin. I don't have that kinda time to devote to him, obviously, other people do.

I don't want to get into a whole debate about if he's to blame or not (cuz I still haven't seen any evidence and that's disappointing), fact of the matter is, is that he's gotten to so many people and the people here at Newgrounds are only a small fraction of the people he's gotten to. I think if anyone wanted to screw with Americans, that would be the best way. I mean there are people who are so obsessed with him that he's probably getting off on knowing that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with all these Bin Ladin games/cartoons <shrugs> I can care less... Whatever floats your boat, you know? But whatever satisfaction these people are getting by fictitiously mutilating and humiliating him, it doesn't sound like it's worth the price they're paying for it, people could be better than resorting to mockery and defacing someone else, but they choose not to, and they have that God given right.

I hope someone can shed some light as to why people enjoy these Bin Ladin cartoons, because I can only speculate so much and still not have a full answer. So let's hear some opinions, people :)

I dunno, what about you Wade, how would you answer the question?

The path to hell lies between my fists, and your soul... Shun Goku Satsu!

BBS Signature
glasseater
glasseater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 11:50 AM Reply

i just like shooting stuff.

Queen-Jenny
Queen-Jenny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 12:03 PM Reply

Bin Laden sucks. He deserves to get fucked in the ass by newgrounds because Bush sucks and won't ever find him so we can really blow up his ass. He's in a fucking cave!!!!!!!

ShadowMantis
ShadowMantis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 12:05 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 11:37 AM, Coraxus wrote: Maybe people like to play them is because they want to take out their anger out on something. At least if more people take out their anger on the anti-Osama games, then less people will take out on those they may discriminate like Muslims and Arabs who had nothing to do with the attack
I hope.

Hey very true, I hope at least by venting it out here people can have clearer heads when they go outside and see people who look "different" and go unleash on them. But you can't help but acknowledge that hate stuff here is going to fuel some people in the other direction, making them want to take their emotions out on Arabs or any people who vaguely resemble people from the Mid East. I mean it won't be bad here in NY, but you gotta wonder about suburbia and other places where ethnic people are actually noticed as being "different".

Increase the peace?

Oh by the way, we need more flashwork like Commissioner Kong and the XiaoXiao series, forget Bin Ladin :) Oh and College Universtiy and for role playing freaks like me, Final Fighting Fantasy :)

Why did I just plug those movies? Oh yeah cuz I am getting restless and I want to see more hot flashwork :)

The path to hell lies between my fists, and your soul... Shun Goku Satsu!

BBS Signature
Queen-Jenny
Queen-Jenny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 11:50 AM, glasseater wrote: i just like shooting stuff.

I like shooting stuff too:)
njsimonson
njsimonson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 12:30 PM Reply

Tell the media we need a target much like the rest of the country does right now to vent our fear, anger, hate, or atleast as a place to have some fun with a purpose... Hey, isn't that what the Highlights magazine has on it in the Dentist's office?!?

--Simonson.

Demo2k
Demo2k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 12:47 PM Reply

i think its fun to blowing up/shooting Bin Laden, just for fun ^_^

Wolfy
Wolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 01:02 PM Reply

We like to take our anger out on things. Especcially people we hate.

Queen-Jenny
Queen-Jenny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 01:02 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 12:47 PM, Demo2k wrote: i think its fun to blowing up/shooting Bin Laden, just for fun ^_^

It's almost too much fun...Nah!

ColeAssman
ColeAssman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 01:04 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 11:27 AM, WadeFulp wrote:
The media has been asking us questions like "Why do we get so much enjoyment out of these Osama Bin Laden games?"

I think its sweet when we can blow of the fuckers head or watch the Osama Hunter cut off his sack.

Site Overload!

Queen-Jenny
Queen-Jenny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 01:05 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 01:04 PM, ColeAssman wrote:
At 10/3/01 11:27 AM, WadeFulp wrote:
The media has been asking us questions like "Why do we get so much enjoyment out of these Osama Bin Laden games?"
I think its sweet when we can blow of the fuckers head or watch the Osama Hunter cut off his sack.]

bin laden has no sack

ColeAssman
ColeAssman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 01:05 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 12:06 PM, Queen_Jenny wrote:

Espcially Osamas head

Queen-Jenny
Queen-Jenny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 01:07 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 01:05 PM, ColeAssman wrote:
At 10/3/01 12:06 PM, Queen_Jenny wrote:

Espcially Osamas head

definitly!!!!

shade1
shade1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 02:37 PM Reply

Because some people want revenge others are just pissed i ask you media peope would you rather we ,A. Take out aggression on those not responsible,B. Supress our anger,Or C. Take out our agression on a completly hilarious and humiliating game.

DaWeb
DaWeb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 02:55 PM Reply

I personally wish that we get Bin Laden over to America alive so every American could get a chance to beat the shit outta that mutherfucka and then we could tourcher the hell outta him, but since I know that will never happen I like doing it to him on a NewGrounds Flash game.

Site Overload!

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 11:27 AM, WadeFulp wrote: For the next few days, or weeks, Newgrounds may experience traffic overload.

For one thing, I have been getting these blank popups everytimne the page switches. If this is a fledgling attempt to make popup ads at every page change (which I doubt) then DON'T DO IT! You will get a LOT of pissed off newgrounders that way. The occasional one is better.

And can you please lower the size on that disorderly ad, it clogs up the comp!

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 02:59 PM Reply

For one thing, everyone has liked ASsassin games, thus this guy is a viable target.

Second of all, most everyone loves to do that, especially to those they hate, like that other guy said.

They are not too much different than any Assassin flashmovie.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 02:56 PM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote: For one thing, I have been getting these blank popups everytimne the page switches. If this is a fledgling attempt to make popup ads at every page change (which I doubt) then DON'T DO IT! You will get a LOT of pissed off newgrounders that way. The occasional one is better.

We are starting a new ad campaign, and we are still tweaking the ads. At the moment we are running without Banner ads. We are working on it. We need the pop ups to pay for the high costs of hosting a site like Newgrounds. It's either deal with the ads, or there won't be a Newgrounds.com to come to. It's that simple.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

Stormwarden
Stormwarden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 03:52 PM Reply

I think people like it as a way to vent. Also, these have some of the best entries I've seen in a long time.

life has to happen sometimes, it just happing to me all over the place

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 04:07 PM Reply

wade i can't get enough out opf these games are just to damn fun i love them :)

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 04:10 PM Reply

sure the popups are annoying but hey whatever pays the bills is good right wade :)

shade1
shade1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 10/3/01 04:10 PM, fire wrote: sure the popups are annoying but hey whatever pays the bills is good right wade :)

I dont mind the Pop-ups newgrounds is too awesome to go under,Do what you guys need to do.

Site Overload!

Plaid-Bass
Plaid-Bass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Heh, well, I think that the Bin Laden games are do popular 'cause a lot of people hate him, so it's fun to kick his ass on a video game.

PsykotikLunatik
PsykotikLunatik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Site Overload! Oct. 3rd, 2001 @ 04:39 PM Reply

i think its a waste of space cuz too many is fuckin gay. yeah they have some good ones but this many is fuckin stupid. i mean look its making newgrounds slower and you get cannot find server alot and its getting fuckin annoying. but thats just how i feel towards all the osama bin laden shit on newgrounds other than that i hope he fuckin dies a horrible death.