00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AVKid4 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What's your Anime Exposure Rating?

2,099 Views | 72 Replies

In light of all the self styled, so called otakus, and the racist fools who generalize all anime as DBZ and Pokemon, I've devised Barrington's Anime Class of Access. (BACA for short. Hey, what's so goddamn funny?)
Anyone with a rating of 2 or less should just plain shut up about anime. 4 or less, and you should still really try and avoid any generalizations. 5 and up have my respect. I'm personally at 7 .5 to 8 (and rising!)

Rating 1: Basic TV
i.e. KidsWB, Fox Family
Examples: Pokemon, Cardcaptors*, Escaflowne* (* heavily edited and censored. Dosen't really count as anime. Just american tripe with stolen Japanese cels. Thats right, the problem lies in the 'land of the free,' where you always have to watch your mouth lest someone gets pissed. and that's before 9/11... opps, im ramling. lets continue)

Rating 2: Basic Cable
i.e. Cartoon Network, SciFi Channel
Examples: Dominion Tank Police*, DBZ*, Sailor Moon* (* see above)

Rating 3: Premium Cable
i.e. Showtime Beyond, Cinemax
Examples: Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll

Rating 4: Membership to a really crappy video store.
i.e. BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO!
Examples: Agent Aika, Project A-ko

Rating 5: Membership to a top-of-the-line (100+ anime titles), but nonspecialized video store. Or Having a lot of money and just buying them at Sam Goody's.
i.e. Madison, WI's Four Star Video Haven
Examples: Nadesico, Evangelion

Rating 6: Membership of a private viewing club, with regular showings of 'fansubbed' anime.
i.e. A university club of some sort. Whoever did Gen-Con.
Examples: FLCL, Excel Saga

Rating 7: Membership to a good anime specialty store, including a decent Fansub lineup, or high speed Internet Access along with a good scouring program
i.e. Milwaukee WI's Model Zone, an Otacon of some sort, WinMX, Gnutella
Examples: The End of Evangelion. Fansubbed DBZ and Sailor Moon Episodes (WHOLLY different than that Toonazi crap)

Rating 8: Having the right connnections with multiple class 6 and 7 sources and the ability to get just about anything thats been fansubbed.

Rating 9: Having a fluent understanding of the Japanese language and the ability to order any un subtitled, undubbed original tape/DVD/manga/general merchandise directly from Japan.

Rating 10: You live in Japan.

So... what's your rating?

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:07:06

A lot of expsure here, 5 at the moment, if I knew what Excel was I would go out and look for it, company and such please? and coulda gimme a hand finding the End of Evangelion..(I know what happens just need to find the thing.)

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:12:31

At 10/2/01 02:03 PM, thespook wrote: In light of all the self styled, so called otakus, and the racist fools who generalize all anime as DBZ and Pokemon, I've devised Barrington's Anime Class of Access. (BACA for short. Hey, what's so goddamn funny?)
Anyone with a rating of 2 or less should just plain shut up about anime. 4 or less, and you should still really try and avoid any generalizations. 5 and up have my respect. I'm personally at 7 .5 to 8 (and rising!)

Rating 1: Basic TV
i.e. KidsWB, Fox Family
Examples: Pokemon, Cardcaptors*, Escaflowne* (* heavily edited and censored. Dosen't really count as anime. Just american tripe with stolen Japanese cels. Thats right, the problem lies in the 'land of the free,' where you always have to watch your mouth lest someone gets pissed. and that's before 9/11... opps, im ramling. lets continue)

Rating 2: Basic Cable
i.e. Cartoon Network, SciFi Channel
Examples: Dominion Tank Police*, DBZ*, Sailor Moon* (* see above)

Rating 3: Premium Cable
i.e. Showtime Beyond, Cinemax
Examples: Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll

Rating 4: Membership to a really crappy video store.
i.e. BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO!
Examples: Agent Aika, Project A-ko

Rating 5: Membership to a top-of-the-line (100+ anime titles), but nonspecialized video store. Or Having a lot of money and just buying them at Sam Goody's.
i.e. Madison, WI's Four Star Video Haven
Examples: Nadesico, Evangelion

Rating 6: Membership of a private viewing club, with regular showings of 'fansubbed' anime.
i.e. A university club of some sort. Whoever did Gen-Con.
Examples: FLCL, Excel Saga

Rating 7: Membership to a good anime specialty store, including a decent Fansub lineup, or high speed Internet Access along with a good scouring program
i.e. Milwaukee WI's Model Zone, an Otacon of some sort, WinMX, Gnutella
Examples: The End of Evangelion. Fansubbed DBZ and Sailor Moon Episodes (WHOLLY different than that Toonazi crap)

Rating 8: Having the right connnections with multiple class 6 and 7 sources and the ability to get just about anything thats been fansubbed.

Rating 9: Having a fluent understanding of the Japanese language and the ability to order any un subtitled, undubbed original tape/DVD/manga/general merchandise directly from Japan.

Rating 10: You live in Japan.

So... what's your rating?

If there is a thing that i hate this thing is Japanese kind of drawin'....it's totally strange. When they scream, for example, their mouth becomes fuckin' big. Their arms starts to flap like fuckin' birds.
But i love Japan. I only hate Japanese cartoons.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:16:23

At 10/2/01 02:07 PM, Xelloss_Metallium wrote: A lot of expsure here, 5 at the moment, if I knew what Excel was I would go out and look for it, company and such please? and coulda gimme a hand finding the End of Evangelion..(I know what happens just need to find the thing.)

Like Ah said. Milwaukee's Model Zone has it. I dont know anywhere else. i dont travel much. Can't take a road trip to milwaukee? Get WinMX and you may be able to d/l the whole thing with some persistance.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:17:24

gogogogo japanese anime :D

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:25:49

At 10/2/01 02:17 PM, UnDYiNG wrote: gogogogo japanese anime :D

NAH NANA NANNAH NAH!
GO GO GADGET DICK!

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:26:49

Where would I be able to buy WinMX, because I got Windows Media Player. I was just wondering how to get the stuff offline or not..?

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:33:29

At 10/2/01 02:26 PM, Xelloss_Metallium wrote: Where would I be able to buy WinMX, because I got Windows Media Player. I was just wondering how to get the stuff offline or not..?

I really don't have a rating, per se. I've been a fan since I was 13, and I know a few of the unknown titles, a lot of the known titles, I have been exposed to Anime on TV, but I tend to avoid Escafox, Pokemon, Digimon, (In other words, anything on Fox Family Channel) and some of the other stuff. I'm ok with Toonami, but I want them to show ALL UNCUT Anime, not the watered down stuff, but reality tells me they won't because of the censors.

I own:

Angel Cop The Collection
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scroll
Battle Angel
Record of Lodoss War (9 TV episodes, OAV looks much better...)
Two tapes of New Century Evangelion
X the Movie
Black Lion
Fire Emblem
Ruin Explorers
Bastard!!
And a few more I can't remember at the moment...

Oh and Perfect Blue, that movie is number 6 on my list.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:42:07

If there is a thing that i hate this thing is Japanese kind of drawin'....it's totally strange. When they scream, for example, their mouth becomes fuckin' big. Their arms starts to flap like fuckin' birds.
But i love Japan. I only hate Japanese cartoons.

You wouldn't Have a BACA rating of 2 or less, now would you? That would explain why you don't seem to recognise the existence of more realistically drawn (usually dramas) animes, such as Blood, the last Vampire (which sucks) and the Ruroni Kenshin OAVs (which don't).

American Cartoons dont seem to consistently abide by the laws of reality either if you also have a problem with anime (just look at the simpons? do you know anyone with yellow skin, thumbs for noses, or no chins?) and other paragons of american animation. like... sheep in the big city.

The Pot calls the kettle black. Ruri-Ruri just calls you ....baka...

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:44:47

But i love Japan. I only hate Japanese cartoo

That is olny in the dumb shows most anime is awesome Japan is cool too

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:45:24

WinMX is a napster-style any-file-scouring program, like gnutella. You can get it at www.winmx.com for free!

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:48:18

And with the ability to collect all these, your BACA rating is about 5

I own:

Angel Cop The Collection
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scroll
Battle Angel
X the Movie
Black Lion
Fire Emblem
Ruin Explorers
Bastard!!

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:53:56

Alright Josh, if you've seen so much Anime, then name some of them, series, movie, Episodes and Numbers, I wanna see how MUCH you have seen.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:54:15

At 10/2/01 02:48 PM, thespook wrote: And with the ability to collect all these, your BACA rating is about 5

I own:

Angel Cop The Collection
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scroll
Battle Angel
X the Movie
Black Lion
Fire Emblem
Ruin Explorers
Bastard!!

Actually, Josh, if you've seen so many anime titles, then why not list off what you've seen? Someone who 'hates' anime so much and who seems to be so obssessed with 'killing' characters should be so obssessed anough to remember every single title you hate.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:55:25

At 10/2/01 02:48 PM, thespook wrote: And with the ability to collect all these, your BACA rating is about 5

I own:

Angel Cop The Collection
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scroll
Battle Angel
X the Movie
Black Lion
Fire Emblem
Ruin Explorers
Bastard!!

Also, to the spook, thanks for clarifying that.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 14:56:29

At 10/2/01 02:46 PM, RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh wrote: my daddy rapes me

Granted, some dub jobs like 3x3 eyes and Nadesico just plain suck ass being inaccurate, shrill, and outright half-assed, but you havent seen anime until youve seen SUBTITLED. Dubs are for duds and illiterates.

But thats no excuse for that childish outburst. You have the mindset of a jaded needledick 13 year old slipknot fan. and the style of a Clock Crewman... now... GET OFF MY THREAD!

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:01:10

The only reason I buy dubbed is because it's the only thing that people have gotten around here. (My pal only bought dubbed and he gave me alot of his) So, I wanna buy subtilted, but, sam goody doesn't have a good selection of subbtilted. But I keep on the look out.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:01:31

At 10/2/01 02:56 PM, thespook wrote:
Granted, some dub jobs like 3x3 eyes and Nadesico just plain suck ass being inaccurate, shrill, and outright half-assed, but you havent seen anime until youve seen SUBTITLED. Dubs are for duds and illiterates.

But thats no excuse for that childish outburst. You have the mindset of a jaded needledick 13 year old slipknot fan. and the style of a Clock Crewman... now... GET OFF MY THREAD!

I like both subs and dubs, depending on the acting. Like Cowboy Bebop dub is one of the best so far, but I love the Subbed version just as much, from what little I've heard.

I could do with some Evangelion subbed, I'm going to buy the next few tapes subbed, and if it's cool (Which it probably will be, considering the English VA of Shinji...), I'll buy the rest subbed.

But I always wondered, is there any sub out there that actually sucks? I haven't thought of one, or seen one yet.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:02:20

But I agree, Dubbed does suck pretty badly.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:14:24

I could do with some Evangelion subbed, I'm going to buy the next few tapes subbed, and if it's cool (Which it probably will be, considering the English VA of Shinji...), I'll buy the rest subbed.

But I always wondered, is there any sub out there that actually sucks? I haven't thought of one, or seen one yet.

I saw a subbed Evangelion in German, got kind of iritating as the plot can be complex, some certain "people" won't be able to take in whats going. on. But i like the dubbed version, very well done as ADV took the EFFORT to do a nice job of it...

BTW Josh, you really enjoy the "effort" of making a complete tit out of yourself everyday, must be pretty taxing on your brain for someone like you...

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:23:19

At 10/2/01 03:13 PM, RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh wrote: Goats = good fucking!

Ho-Lee-Shit. I never bothered looking at your profile. you really are a 13 year old slipknot fan. My bad. My bad. Okay you have the mindset of a 12 year old Vanilla Ice fan.

And as for sucky anime, like the guy asked you earlier, let's see what titles you've really watched to determine wether your ass-backwards generalizations mean shit.

And why is Lesbian Wrestling (hentai)on your favorites?

Like i said. The pot calls the kettle.... baka.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:32:50

I'd say i rate around a 7.
FLCL is the best series ever!

(Author's Note- Where can i get US release dates for Love Hina DVDs? My friend says you need a mod chip or something to run japanese DVDS ...)

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:43:16

At 10/2/01 02:56 PM, thespook wrote:

Yeah, I hardly watch dubbed DBZ now. They should quit it with the grunting and the crappy dialog or someone, like me, would make fun of it.

And Josh, please don't post violent hentai. You look like a disturbed rapist doing that.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:43:46

At 10/2/01 03:22 PM, RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh wrote:
At 10/2/01 03:14 PM, Jinmu13 wrote: I watch anime... I'm the king of the fucking world
Damn, you really are stupid....

The fact that It's different voices mean shit to me, ultimately anime sucks, they only speak differently in english, you f*cking asshole.

Whoa whoa, let me get this right. You complain about anime, yet you seem to watch it. We're not forcing not to watch anime, we're forcing you not to make an ass out of yourself which doesn't seem to helped you THAT much....

And yeah, thanks. I am KING of the fucking world. You must be king of a pile of shit if you’re that un-noticed, so that proves I'm better then you in every way! No one cares about you Josh. So just go back to bed you whippy "oh look at me I'm 13, I act like a rap star so that makes me look "tough". You’re just a fucking townie! You’re nothing more then a simpleton.

One last thing I know I’m an asshole and I can deal with that, but can you deal with the fact that you suck? Doesn’t look like.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:51:31

At 10/2/01 03:43 PM, Jinmu13 wrote:
At 10/2/01 03:22 PM, RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh wrote:
At 10/2/01 03:14 PM, Jinmu13 wrote: I watch anime... I'm the king of the fucking world
Damn, you really are stupid....

The fact that It's different voices mean shit to me, ultimately anime sucks, they only speak differently in english, you f*cking asshole.
Whoa whoa, let me get this right. You complain about anime, yet you seem to watch it. We're not forcing not to watch anime, we're forcing you not to make an ass out of yourself which doesn't seem to helped you THAT much....

And yeah, thanks. I am KING of the fucking world. You must be king of a pile of shit if you’re that un-noticed, so that proves I'm better then you in every way! No one cares about you Josh. So just go back to bed you whippy "oh look at me I'm 13, I act like a rap star so that makes me look "tough". You’re just a fucking townie! You’re nothing more then a simpleton.

One last thing I know I’m an asshole and I can deal with that, but can you deal with the fact that you suck? Doesn’t look like.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 15:54:02

Sorry about that last post, I kinda accidently hit my pass and then hit enter, but anyway, Josh, all you are making yourself look like is a fucking hypocritical MORON! I mean you say you hate anime but seem to watch it Intently as if you were a fan. You are trying to act so big and gain respect when all you are truly doing is losing the respect of everyone around you. Stop trying to be a big bad asshole like the big boys and get a fucking life, we Otakus, together, are much more powerful than one ignorant little Anime basher who can't state jack shit for what he's watched.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 16:12:29

3y 1|3k p0k3m0n. p0k3m0n |5 k3w1

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 16:17:35

well i would have to say i am number 4...but i really dont watch that much movies, well rent them, cuz i have the movie network, so i just watch movies on them....

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 16:30:49

At 10/2/01 04:09 PM, RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh wrote: I am a 13 year old kid who knows nothing.

Well, Hate to prove you dead wrong about me not having a life, but, I do. I have a lot of other friends, all who are anime fans, and, anyone can change someone elses words to their own use. One other thing Josh, get your dick outta the ground, it's not your ass.

Response to What's your Anime Exposure Rating? 2001-10-02 17:17:31

At 10/2/01 04:09 PM, RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh wrote: Spooge. It's what's for dinner.

Alright, dick. Im done with you. I skimmed over all the new tripe you spent so long rehearsing and just paid attention to the 'nerdy otakus with smelly feet' quote, which says you already admitted you flog the carrot to Faye Valentine, dick. Im gonna continue talking with non-needledicks that dont necessarily get off collecting those anime snuff pics that you seem to have a millon of now.

May you do with God's grace.