New Topic Respond to this Topic
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 06:15 PM Reply

At 7/29/12 02:21 AM, Crashman wrote: How about those A's? I hate Beane with a passion yet he still finds ways to make a decent team. Too bad for that nine game losing streak we had. Also how bout Reddick, one of the better younger stars I've seen. Was he like that in Boston Duke?

At least until the players develops to the point that Beane would trade them for more prospects. Beane has a good eye for young talents, it's just that he couldn't keep them to contend.

He could have at least try to challenge the A's ownership.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:24 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 08:50 AM, Coop wrote: So that explains Ichiro, but what about him doing it to help Seattle out, by getting them prospects, rather than walking away at the end of the year?

The bottom line here is PROSPECTS. It is like raping a girl first and then giving her 10 dollars for "letting" you rape her.

Does this explain Pujols? A multiple MVP and multiple World Champion in St. Louis. Upping sticks and heading to Anaheim, of all places.

Your argument would be valid if Ichiro stayed at Seattle. As it stands, both are greedy glory hunters.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 4th, 2012 @ 01:10 PM Reply

At 8/4/12 08:39 AM, ZJ wrote: Keep on ignoring us guys. It'll be that much sweeter when we whip the shit out of your teams.

The Reds. Ok, they are a feel good story. But I doubt that they will win the WS.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 09:34 AM Reply

Can we fire the donkey Valentine and hire Terry Francona back NOW?

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 16th, 2012 @ 04:48 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 10:24 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote:
At 7/30/12 08:50 AM, Coop wrote: So that explains Ichiro, but what about him doing it to help Seattle out, by getting them prospects, rather than walking away at the end of the year?
The bottom line here is PROSPECTS. It is like raping a girl first and then giving her 10 dollars for "letting" you rape her.

You have some serious issues. Trading for an aging star player is not akin to rape and then trying to pay the girl for it afterwards.

Does this explain Pujols? A multiple MVP and multiple World Champion in St. Louis. Upping sticks and heading to Anaheim, of all places.
Your argument would be valid if Ichiro stayed at Seattle. As it stands, both are greedy glory hunters.

And you would complain if the trade had brought Ichiro to Fenway?

*tumbleweed*

I thought not.

At 8/4/12 08:39 AM, ZJ wrote: Keep on ignoring us guys. It'll be that much sweeter when we whip the shit out of your teams.

Interesting case, that you make. I get the feeling that the three divisions in the NL are looking like LA, Cincy and Washington, with maybe to Giants making a run on the Dodgers later in the year. It's too early to call, just yet.

Melky Cabrera's breakout season is over, after he tested positive for Testosterone. Idiot. He was on pace to pass 200 hits this season and instead, he now gets regarded as tainted goods.

Bravo to "King" Felix Hernandez, pitching a perfect game against the Tampa Bay Rays, striking out 12. That's the 23rd perfect game in Major League history and the 3rd in 2012 alone. Since I've been a follower of the game (start of 1999), I've seen 8 Perfects, which is quite a lot.

Pitchers are in the ascendancy.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

Did the MLB blow it with this year's playoff system?

My thought is yes, yes they did. They should have waited a year...

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 05:18 AM Reply

First losing season since 1997?

BBS Signature
EternitySpent
EternitySpent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Melancholy
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 08:32 PM, ZJ wrote: Did the MLB blow it with this year's playoff system?

My thought is yes, yes they did. They should have waited a year...

Meh, I think the worst part of this whole realignment is that now, with 15 teams in each league, there is going to be 7 American League games, 7 National League games, and 1 Interleague game, every single day of the season, which I personally think is kind of stupid, but that's just the way she goes.

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 10:44 PM Reply

Somehow, Pinata developed the ability to make fans feel worse about the trade. The guy deserves a punch in the face for the DUI, I mean what the fuck was he thinking?

If he want to prove that he's worth the weight and the price the Yankees gave up for him, there is something to avoid or take the taxi next time.

One of those things that can make you feel like a Red Sox fan.

Anyway, notice how Jeter is proving that he's not washed up while Michael Young who was made into a DH last year to prolong his career is winding down despite being few years younger?

I remember when some people used Young as a part of their misguided attempt to prove that Jeter is "overrated". But then again, anybody remember the late '90s and the early '00s when there were debates in regards to Jeter and Nomar? Granted Nomar did had the edge on offense, but it's kind of hard to believe that he would turn out to be a glass cannon even in his prime.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

Boston have turned to bailing and have got rid of a lot of payroll, swinging a big trade with the Dodgers:

Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett & Nick Punto are all boarded onto a plane heading for the city of Angels, with 1st baseman James Loney and prospects Ivan DeJesus (IF); Allan Webster (RHP); Jerry Sands (OF/1B) and Rubby de la Rosa (RHP) making the return trip.

Certainly ridding them of a problem contract (Crawford) and a dressing room cancer (Beckett), but at the cost of Adrian Gonzalez, who seemed to put some pop in the Red Sox lineup, they may give Valentine one more shot at carrying on with the team. Still, one hell of a ballsy move and something that could be seen as "Kill or Cure", by GM Ben Cherington. Could it work? Only time will tell.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 09:24 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 06:06 PM, Coop wrote: Boston have turned to bailing and have got rid of a lot of payroll, swinging a big trade with the Dodgers:

Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett & Nick Punto are all boarded onto a plane heading for the city of Angels, with 1st baseman James Loney and prospects Ivan DeJesus (IF); Allan Webster (RHP); Jerry Sands (OF/1B) and Rubby de la Rosa (RHP) making the return trip.

It would be funny if Punto ends up the only one playing well since he's basically more of a throw-in player and a after thought. The Dodgers are pretty desparate so I guess they're willing to take the risk by taking those players with huge contracts that aren't going to end soon.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 09:24 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: It would be funny if Punto ends up the only one playing well since he's basically more of a throw-in player and a after thought. The Dodgers are pretty desparate so I guess they're willing to take the risk by taking those players with huge contracts that aren't going to end soon.

Well, Adrian Gonzalez did his best to debunk that theory, by smacking a homer in his first at-bat for LA. JUst for the record, James Loney grounded into a double play for his first at-bat as a Red Sock.

And Andre Ethier's streak of 10 consecutive hits comes to an end, with a called third strike on the inside corner. He didn't like it, but the Dodgers lead Buehrle and the Marlins 1-0, after 1.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 8/26/12 04:33 PM, Coop wrote:
At 8/25/12 09:24 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: It would be funny if Punto ends up the only one playing well since he's basically more of a throw-in player and a after thought. The Dodgers are pretty desparate so I guess they're willing to take the risk by taking those players with huge contracts that aren't going to end soon.
Well, Adrian Gonzalez did his best to debunk that theory, by smacking a homer in his first at-bat for LA. JUst for the record, James Loney grounded into a double play for his first at-bat as a Red Sock.

Seems that now that he's back on a contending team, that's where the motivation is. Still, I was surprised as much as anyone when Crawford turns out to be as healthy as Carl Pavano.

What do you think happened? Bad luck? Pressure?

I figured that Beckett would be traded next year though, given that he has a Star Trek movies pattern. If the pattern continues, he's due for a bounce back next season where his value would be higher.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 06:48 AM Reply

At 8/26/12 05:24 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Seems that now that he's back on a contending team, that's where the motivation is. Still, I was surprised as much as anyone when Crawford turns out to be as healthy as Carl Pavano.

I like Gonzalez. With him out of the AL, there's more of a chance of Tex winning the Gold Glove as well :P

What do you think happened? Bad luck? Pressure?

With Crawford, it was bad luck, that caused him to put pressure on himself and that caused the injury.

I figured that Beckett would be traded next year though, given that he has a Star Trek movies pattern. If the pattern continues, he's due for a bounce back next season where his value would be higher.

We'll see. He's certainly the sort of pitcher that can shore up a rotation. Watch out for the Dodgers, they're doing the right things.

Also, it looks like the Cards will lose Rafael Furcal for the long term, as he felt his elbow "pop" in the game last night in Washington. Looks like Tommy John Surgery to me, as soon as I saw the Headline. Not good.

Why does everyone seem to need this procedure these days?

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 09:04 AM Reply

At 8/25/12 06:06 PM, Coop wrote: Certainly ridding them of a problem contract (Crawford) and a dressing room cancer (Beckett), but at the cost of Adrian Gonzalez, who seemed to put some pop in the Red Sox lineup, they may give Valentine one more shot at carrying on with the team. Still, one hell of a ballsy move and something that could be seen as "Kill or Cure", by GM Ben Cherington. Could it work? Only time will tell.

Dressing room cancer? Beckett? Are you serious?! The only cancer within the club is Bobby Valentine. We are going nowhere until the real cancer is removed for good.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 1st, 2012 @ 09:16 AM Reply

Bobby Valentine out! We are the laughing stock of the major league now.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 09:37 AM Reply

Come on, Baltimore! Knock the Yankees out from postseason contention together with the A's and the Rays!

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 11:46 AM Reply

At 9/9/12 09:37 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote: Come on, Baltimore! Knock the Yankees out from postseason contention together with the A's and the Rays!

Not like the Sox had anything to play for right now.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 04:33 PM Reply

So far so good as one would say though if the bull pen can do this more often, it'll help a lot.

I have been wondering for some time, will there ever be a Olympic gold medal, World Series Championship winning HOF baseball player?

What the IOC did ended that chance but if it gets reinstated again, will it ever happen? Right now, El Duque is the closest we'll ever get and Baseball HOF doesn't recognize international achievement however.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 21st, 2012 @ 12:38 PM Reply

At 9/9/12 11:46 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 9/9/12 09:37 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote: Come on, Baltimore! Knock the Yankees out from postseason contention together with the A's and the Rays!
Not like the Sox had anything to play for right now.

You do realize that the Red Sox play against the Yankees 3 times to close out the regular season, don't you? Your boys had better make sure that they have secured a playoff spot by then because I can guarantee you that the Red Sox would love to ruin their archrival's season.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:36 PM Reply

Cincinnati Reds are the first Major League team to clinch their division!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Major Leauge Baseball

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:11 PM Reply

At 9/21/12 12:38 PM, Dream-of-Duke wrote: Your boys had better make sure that they have secured a playoff spot by then because I can guarantee you that the Red Sox would love to ruin their archrival's season.

Your boys aren't much of a help, I was counting on them to do something against the Orioles only to be let down. Thanks for nothing, some spoilers you are.

How about that 14 innings win.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 05:55 PM Reply

A little "foaming-at-the-mouth" for me, but this is really a good article,showing why I'd rather have Mike Trout, than Miguel Cabrera on my team. Forget about the fact that the Yankees already have lumbering ageing, sluggers, who aren't the most agile on the basepaths, we need to get into a position to be able to score whenever the opportunity arises.

Johnny Damon in the 2009 World Series is exactly the opportunistic baserunning that we need, a dynamic that acquiring Ichiro has given us, along with the potential comeback of Brett Gardner, or the additions of Eduardo Nunez and Chris Dickerson to the 40 man roster.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
EternitySpent
EternitySpent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Melancholy
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 01:28 PM Reply

ugh, back to the good old days of the last place Toronto Blow Gays. I wasn't drinking the wild card kool-aid, but I was hoping for a season of progression and growth, not across the board regression and injury. And there's not even hockey to lessen the Blue Jay's Shame this year, only the Raptors, who will surely just add to it. Fucking hate sports sometimes.

At 9/25/12 05:55 PM, Coop wrote: A little "foaming-at-the-mouth" for me, but this is really a good article,showing why I'd rather have Mike Trout, than Miguel Cabrera on my team.

Haha, at least I can get excited for fantasy baseball next year, even if it will be hard to get pumped for the Jays. Rocking Cabrera/Trout in my fantasy keeper league, I'm thinking dynasty.

Major Leauge Baseball

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 9/22/12 08:11 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Your boys aren't much of a help, I was counting on them to do something against the Orioles only to be let down. Thanks for nothing, some spoilers you are.

How about that 14 innings win.

If losing is the only way to get Valentine sacked in the offseason, then I would not mind seeing the team losing all the remaining games.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Sep. 29th, 2012 @ 10:46 AM Reply

Buck Showalter has to be the AL manager of the season, period.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Oct. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:30 PM Reply

So the O's now need our help to win the AL East? Not a chance, Bobby Valentine is DA ARCHENEMY of pride, deal with it! >:)

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:13 AM Reply

All I need is the Nationals to choke today and for the Reds to win. Cincy can have that coveted #1 spot in the NL...

Oh please Lord please...

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Major Leauge Baseball Oct. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:01 PM Reply

At 10/3/12 12:13 AM, ZJ wrote: All I need is the Nationals to choke today and for the Reds to win. Cincy can have that coveted #1 spot in the NL...

Oh please Lord please...

The-Redangleprince would have been estatic being that he's a Reds fan and all.

Thank you Red Sox for giving us what we needed, a real spoiler againbst the Oreos, hehehe.

As for the MVP discussion, Miguel Cabrera will probably win due to his triple crown which is the first since 1967. For the NL MVP, I'm willing to roll the dice on Buster Posey. I mean Andrew McCutchen cooled down in the second half and the Pirates fell out of contention for the playoffs and ultimately a shot for .500 record. Not to mention people expected the Giants to roll over and die after Melky Cabrera got busted and got suspended for rest of the season as well as Pablo Sandoval getting hurt and cooled down since then. Suddenly, Posey became the offense of the Giants and took over the NL batting title after Melky got DQ'ed from it, help them overcome getting taken advantage of by the Dodgers and Lincecum's down year.

As a result, the team won the division.

Where would they be without Posey?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature