B-Side
B-Side
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 05:29 PM Reply

-> Suggestion

I think you should keep the yellow colr for the menu buttons. Just to keep the overall style.

benbadman
benbadman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 06:05 PM Reply

Make the music off by default, or let the user decide if they'd rather always have the home/portal music load...you can turn it off now, but it always loads up by default, i'd like to have the option to have it NOT load by default

So.... What does everyone think of the new look? Any suggestions?
Pre-Shaolin
Pre-Shaolin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 06:23 PM Reply

it looks cool everyone likes it whats to worry about?
p.s. im thinking of a name for my site think of n e thing plz mail me thx
stevenwatts_@hotmail.com

Overhaul on a Whim

MysteriousPepito
MysteriousPepito
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 08:14 PM Reply

i enjoy the portal music a lot better. good job tom.

Overhaul on a Whim

BigMag
BigMag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 08:44 PM Reply

WHHHHHYYYYY?
I used to like the music at "Portal" but now it sucks!
The new music is so annoying that me and most of my frieds have stopped going there even though that used to be the coolest part at NewGrounds.
PLease change the music back to normal or at least have a poll or vote.

I WANT "PORTAL" BACK ! ! !

neo-catalyst
neo-catalyst
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 09:29 PM Reply

Tom Fulp, you my good sir, are the fuckin man! For a long time you had the almost perfect site ever made. But that wasnt good enough was it? You had to give it the perfection it deserved. Keep it up:)

-Dymnd Lockehart
geocities.com/neon_catalyst

Pico-NG
Pico-NG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 09:38 PM Reply

Few things, The red buttons would look better gray. And I would deffinetly Animate the Newgrounds tank. And the Hot Content is a smart use of space, but maybe makeing it Black with Yellow Text would make it look a little better... Just a few thoughts... :)

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 10:12 PM Reply

Ah, we can get our EXP points now!

Could it be possible if you can batch reviews in collectiosn, you look for one of your old reviews and you have done an entire collection, that you can pick the collection, then the review in question?

I don't think that will work, it will move the site back to slower than a snail again.

rewguy
rewguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 22nd, 2001 @ 11:56 PM Reply

One more thing: the "stop music" thing on the portal page only stops the music for about 1 minute or so, and then it comes back.

Recluse
Recluse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 12:03 AM Reply

Much much better than how it was before. The frames were so slow. Glad you got rid of them.

If you like techno or trance music visit my spot on mp3.com.here

Psicor
Psicor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 12:13 AM Reply

Thanks

UpstatePlaya
UpstatePlaya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 01:44 AM Reply

Hey I like the new look those old icons looked like hyrogylifics (so is my attempted spelling but...) Keep up the good work

samjh
samjh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 08:13 AM Reply

Yeh, I think it looks real cool BUT When you register and click the link in the confirmation e-mail it takes you to a framed page!!! Thanks for reading!

Violentpasta
Violentpasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 08:26 AM Reply

hey, I have wonderful news for you, you don't have to get rid of those frames, I found an awesome site that somehow makes your site run a LOT faster check it out
#1 http://www.netmechanic.com/
#2 http://www.websitegarage.com/
bye

JK512
JK512
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 08:30 AM Reply

I like the new look,
but if you enter cat dynamics and press on cat of the week you'll get up the old menu system and it will follow you arround :)

Overhaul on a Whim

sold-like-a-hotcake
sold-like-a-hotcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 10:49 AM Reply

hi, my name is phil, and i like the new look and feel of ng, but when are ya gonna finish pico 2 and samurai asshole, and u.f.a., and all that stuff?, l8er,
sold like a hotcake.

Meehowski
Meehowski
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 11:07 AM Reply

At 9/21/01 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: I decided this past week that I am sick of stumbling through frames, especially with the site running so slow, so I ditched 'em. Hope no one minds too much.

Right now there are a few things that still need to be fixed - the USER RANKINGS will still pop up in frames until Ross changes some scripts. Most of the site should be working, though. Let me know if you click on ANY links ANYWHERE that bring up the frames. I want to eliminate them completely! :)

Yea Tom....Hi!!
I just came back to Newgrounds!!
So far...I LOVE the new look.
Take care.....
Mike "Meehowski"
Melbourne

BBS Signature
dagger-happy
dagger-happy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 12:15 PM Reply

Tables are so much better than frames. I also prefer this to the totally yellow colour scheme you had before. I basically like all the improvements. The creation of the bastard section is very appropriate because it puts you in the right frame of mind before viewing that sick shit!

Hey, Tom, is my streets of rage movie gonna go in the VG parody features section? http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=29892

Thanks

DbzHater
DbzHater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 12:38 PM Reply

At 9/21/01 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: I decided this past week that I am sick of stumbling through frames, especially with the site running so slow, so I ditched 'em. Hope no one minds too much.

Right now there are a few things that still need to be fixed - the USER RANKINGS will still pop up in frames until Ross changes some scripts. Most of the site should be working, though. Let me know if you click on ANY links ANYWHERE that bring up the frames. I want to eliminate them completely! :)

Really cool looks better than before

Malachi01
Malachi01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 01:10 PM Reply

I think the new menu on the top of the screen looks great. However I do have one problem with the main page. My computer s*cks and the picture for disorderly freezes my machine. I hate to be bitchy, but I thought I just mention it in case other people had the same problem.

Freak4Flash4Life
Freak4Flash4Life
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 01:39 PM Reply

Thanks so much Tom. The site was getting so slow before i almost completly stopped using it. This is so great now. Keep making improvements!

Demo2k
Demo2k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 03:27 PM Reply

Nice one Tom, everything works faster and that new music on the portal is fun to

stuntwill
stuntwill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 05:43 PM Reply

The Average Newgrounds User:
I THINK IT'S GREAT! LET ME GET ON MY KNEES AND SUCK YOUR DONKEY COCK!

Honestly, you need to either change the red menu buttons or change everything else to match them. The buttons have a cool animated mouseover effect, but they look shitty with everything else around them.

Overhaul on a Whim

HalfShadow
HalfShadow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 06:17 PM Reply

I like the new portal music, even though I liked the old portal music too. I wouldn't mind if you changed the homepage music again,though. It's WAY too monotonous. The portal music is fine,though. It just doesn't feel as monotonous as the home music. Maybe it's the guy saying 'Newgrounds dot com' all the time. Maybe if you lengthened the music a bit and had it so different people said it instead of the same guy all the time...

socialslave
socialslave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 11:01 PM Reply

This is cool. Much better to look at and easier to load.

Thanks Tom!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 23rd, 2001 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 9/23/01 12:15 PM, dagger_happy wrote: Tables are so much better than frames. I also prefer this to the totally yellow colour scheme you had before. I basically like all the improvements. The creation of the bastard section is very appropriate because it puts you in the right frame of mind before viewing that sick shit!

Hey, Tom, is my streets of rage movie gonna go in the VG parody features section? http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=29892

Thanks

I'll add it right now! :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
nEogENo
nEogENo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 24th, 2001 @ 01:13 AM Reply

Tom, Mr Fulp, the man from philly.. I got some suggestions for you.

#1. Animate the tank logo on the front page. I know you want to steer away from using too much flash, but a logo is the most important part of the page.

#2. The Red buttons dont exactly match on the top, but they still look great. If your worried about looks, change them. If your not, they'll do. The effect is awesome tho.

#3. Keep the music on the front page. Good visuals and music go hand in hand. I think it's awesome that "new grounds dot com" is in the song, it gives the music a purpose. Some sites have background music just to be fancy, but this site has music to fit its theme and it's one of the best background loops i've heard. It even got me liking music by Shok (lavender hill mob) and i put it on a minidisc. Sounds cool in the car too =P~

I was wondering..
What do you think of the intro to pico? I know you made the game a long time before the events of september, but future visitors may not realize that when they go check out pico (my favorite thing about new grounds) and see a place crashing into a city skyline.

Overhaul on a Whim

grandmasterslash
grandmasterslash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 24th, 2001 @ 01:54 AM Reply

finally! this site is slow to load,and i have cable. thank god for ditchin the frames. well....i think somewhere you should put the page that NG used to look like along time ago? what was that song anyways? it was back when like pico was dancin on the frontpage or sumthin. the new look is still better,and the new song kicks ass

MPA
MPA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 24th, 2001 @ 01:57 AM Reply

The red buttons do not match the rest of the site. That is all....

MI4-REAL-2001
MI4-REAL-2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 24th, 2001 @ 02:03 AM Reply

At 9/24/01 01:57 AM, Mr_Pop_Alot wrote: The red buttons do not match the rest of the site. That is all....

I don't think the red buttons really make the site less attractive because they do not match, but that is just me.