Respond to this Topic
silicon2k
silicon2k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 05:32 PM Reply

No offence meant but... I think the new look sux compared to the earlier one. I`d have preferred a total makeover. Still this is my favourite webpage.

getupchip
getupchip
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 05:43 PM Reply

I've always thought of Newgrounds of simple graphics like Pico and stuff and i think the site would look better if the buttons at the top of the page were something simpler like the 'submit a game' button. Thanks.
-chip

Wall
Wall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 05:56 PM Reply

I suggest you change the flash menu up top from red to yellow. Only a suggestion, though. ;]

KDGE
KDGE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 05:57 PM Reply

:Tom Fulp wrote:

So.... What does everyone think of the new look? Any suggestions?

Yeah, I was not sure about taking the frames away since I did not know what would happen to the frame with the sign-in but I guess you fixed that problem. And another problem with the frames is that ross did this stupid javascript code that would not allow you to look at each frame by itslef so evrytime i wanted to look at the souce code of something on the webpage that looked cool I would have to down oad the whole fucking webpage. Thankyou Tom, now I don't have to deal with that souce code shit anymore. Why the hell did he try to hide it anyways? Well the site looks good, I would just redraw the buttons and other than that I think its kick ass. Nice job.
KDGE-

Compdude
Compdude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 05:59 PM Reply

I think the frame-less look is OKAY, but overall I probably enjoyed the frames version better. Primarily, it allowed for better navigation between sections, be it the BBS, Portal, Chat, or Features. You can do the same thing now, but it means scrolling all the way up. Also, the organization is different now than before, which makes it a bit more confusing to do anything. If you ever really NEEDED full screen graphics before, you just hit F11 and that was it.

Like it's been said before, this MAY open the front page faster, but now you have to load that opening block EVERY time you open a new page, which overall means less reaction time, unless that top part gets cached...

So I don't really have a problem with it, but I think it's a dis-improvement.

Oh, and BTW... you forgot to mention the new Portal frontpage music! It's rocking!

Overhaul on a Whim

DeathWolf
DeathWolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:04 PM Reply

The profiles don't work it just goes fright to e-mail

KDGE
KDGE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:12 PM Reply

Let me know if you click on ANY links ANYWHERE that bring up the frames. I want to eliminate them completely! :)

I think theres some on the contact page, or it might of been the collection page check them both.

Tomorrows-Nobody
Tomorrows-Nobody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 9/21/01 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: I decided this past week that I am sick of stumbling through frames, especially with the site running so slow, so I ditched 'em. Hope no one minds too much.

Right now there are a few things that still need to be fixed - the USER RANKINGS will still pop up in frames until Ross changes some scripts. Most of the site should be working, though. Let me know if you click on ANY links ANYWHERE that bring up the frames. I want to eliminate them completely! :)

Great, now just remove the music!!

Cowboy-From-Hell
Cowboy-From-Hell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:13 PM Reply

I dunno about this no frames shit, but then again it took me forever to get used to having them before. Strange with them gone... The top of the screen looks pretty clusterfucked too... The portal is too damn dark, it just isn't the same portal with the black background. Not trying to be overly critical here...

Overhaul on a Whim

jonno
jonno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:13 PM Reply

one thing i cant stand is when you vote on the portal, it opens a new window

jamesweb
jamesweb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:18 PM Reply

Great stuff Tom! I love the new buttons and whats this? Do I sense no popups? FANTASTIC!

LaserBeamBandit
LaserBeamBandit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:21 PM Reply

What the fuck has happened to your site? I can't deposit my points and it says that I need 0 more points to get to level1. I've past level 1 a long time ago! Fix this shit!

Hadiz
Hadiz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:27 PM Reply

Haven't tried to deposit yet, so don't know about all that, but the ditching the frames idea is great. Site loads faster, everywhere you go. The old site would cause my computer to lock up for anywhere from 10-30 seconds or so, and in a couple extreme cases, made IE crash.

No more problem with that now.

reddeadrevolver
reddeadrevolver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:32 PM Reply

At 9/21/01 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: I decided this past week that I am sick of stumbling through frames, especially with the site running so slow, so I ditched 'em. Hope no one minds too much.

Right now there are a few things that still need to be fixed - the USER RANKINGS will still pop up in frames until Ross changes some scripts. Most of the site should be working, though. Let me know if you click on ANY links ANYWHERE that bring up the frames. I want to eliminate them completely! :)

To tell the truth, I think it sucks bad. I love the old scheme much better. The only way you could make me change my mind, is if you got rid of all the yellow and replaced it with red, or whatever scheme you decide. The red, yellow, and black doesnt go well together. That's just my opinion. Its not my site, I really cant tell you what to do.

UnOriginalWB
UnOriginalWB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:36 PM Reply

I like it, a lot more simple and easy to access. Keep up the good work! I love disorderly, a very addicting game. I love the new look. You guys are doing a great job!

DanPaladin
DanPaladin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:37 PM Reply

looks good to me. loads faster for sure! right on! wOoooo!

oh, hey where's my link man? :) hehehe

-mister synj

ndmediaNG
ndmediaNG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 06:56 PM Reply

BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

OK, if you go into someones profile, see what movies they've made AND click one, it brings you to the page WITH BOTH HEADERS, the frame and non-frame one, AND JUST LOOK WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I TRIED TO VOTE ON ONE OF THESE PROFILE LINKED MOVIES:
Thank you for your deposit, Kungfoomasta! You now have experience points. You need 0 more to get to level 1.

The next Grounds Gold day begins in 24 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds. Then you can vote on 5 more movies and rack up more experience points!

Of course, you see I'm level 10! :) But anyway, MAYBE you should just put everything the way it was because EVERYTHING gets screwed up if you get the frames page back! :( But if you can fix it, then fix it.

Hehe, it was kinda funny actually, I went to the profile linked page, voted, and it said I could deposit my gold. I had already deposited my gold though... (But c'mon who's gonna resist one of these chances!) So I did and BOOM, I read it with great confusion and then realized it was PROBABLY because of the frames to no frames switch.

Well, IF IT DID bring me back to level 1, you can bet I'm never coming to NG again. :-D

-Nick Danzinger

Overhaul on a Whim

TFX
TFX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 07:29 PM Reply

Maybe I still have to get used to it, but I liked the frames. I mean, yeah it's going faster now, but I missing just moving my house up and clicking on the Toons to get to the Toons and just clicking on the BBS at the bottom to get to the forums. Now I have to scroll all the way back up to do this. And the forums still don't have a little drop down menu for easy access to other forums (instead of having to to go NG BBS and then go to the forum, just have a drop down box where you just click your forum and go).

But I guess I'll get used to it.

Overhaul on a Whim

Reverend-Kyle
Reverend-Kyle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 07:38 PM Reply

Hey, the new site looks great, and the old one didn't work well with netscape... not that I use it.
I have an idea or two. You should make two separate portals. Newbie and Elite.
Newbie meaning anyone can submit to it, and elite meaning you have to get over 2.5 on one of your movies/games to be able to submit.
And a lot of people make fun of windows, you should make a new section in the feature spot for that.

Kyle Turner

llamafactory
llamafactory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 07:44 PM Reply

TOM BRING BACK THE FRAMES!!!!
Although they did slow down the site they were much more convienent! maybe make the frames not flash would help, and not animated. Newgrounds needs the frames hehe. And your current link's graphics are.. well bad.

glassid
glassid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 07:48 PM Reply

looks like it took 2 minutes

SlothClock
SlothClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:07 PM Reply

i have many reasons why newgrounds should be changed to the way it use to be:
1) the new portal music gets rid of the traditional, loved song
2) its too crowded with all the icons
3) it always is changing, i liked it the way it was last, it was just perfect
5) is not the same

...more to come...
dude, newgrounds is what it is today by having the same thing it had in the begining, like the portal/home music, the style, i dont like this new style, please change it back

SlothClock
SlothClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:09 PM Reply

i think the new look rules!
the buttons totally kick ass,though it would be nice to see the look of newgrounds CoMPLETLY change,with a different style and different colors;)

alrite, i agree with this dude, i just dont like the diff. music

ShadowWolf
ShadowWolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:15 PM Reply

It looks sweet Tom, the only thing i would change would be to get rid of the music at the home page. Or to satisfy the users who want it and the users who dont make it so that if you turn off the music then u change the page and come back that it stays changed cause it gets so goddamn annoying.Peace

ShadowWolf

DerangedElectro
DerangedElectro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:27 PM Reply

Hey, I can't log in my experience points! *Arrrggghhh*

thepsychic
thepsychic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:28 PM Reply

make it like the old site

cerealkilla4u
cerealkilla4u
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:32 PM Reply

Looks good man. Keep up yout great work man.

CO4413
CO4413
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:47 PM Reply

I can't deposit Experence Points!!!!!!!! It keeps saying I need 0 more to get to level 1!!!! I'm past level one!! And i was so close to next level! I think....

HaiL-Caesar
HaiL-Caesar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:51 PM Reply

Ok, I've been on Newgrounds for about a year now, and I loved every minute of it. Now my whole world has changed! New icons! I fear change! Tom, dont take this personal, but the new icons suck! Plus, you changed the Tromaville links picture. That makes me a sad panda :o) So make me a happy panda and change the icon please.

YoinK
YoinK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to Overhaul on a Whim Sep. 21st, 2001 @ 08:59 PM Reply

I think it was great... but it's a good thing that i had a copy of the Portal music so i could give shok a copy and so that it could be placed in the portal :)
Also i like it this way any way, there's more options of where to go to now in newgrounds.com Might be a good idea to classify more of the games/movies any way it's a nice change and i still think the old school newgrounds looked better than this newgrounds gold era... ;)
-vince

(HKL in the making...)

Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!